• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
usNDafl.jpg

http://www.itmedia.co.jp/news/articles/1403/20/news110.html
http://mantan-web.jp/2014/03/20/20140320dog00m200040000c.html

Gundam - Reconguista in G is Tomino's new project. They didn't say exactly that it's a TV series, but it probably is. It'll start in Fall 2014. The character designer is Kenichi Yoshida, who worked on Gainer with Tomino, and later on Eureka 7. It's a sequel to Universal Century, set in the next calendar system - リギルド・センチュリー (Rigild Century?). Yuugo Kanno is composing the music.

G-Reco trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX_kQZLb64E
G-Reco site: http://g-reco.net/

Gundam the Origin is a 4 part theatrical event project similar to how Gundam Unicorn was released. The first part is "The Blue-eyed Casval", and will open in Spring 2015. The story for the animated Origin is going to follow the story of Char and his sister Artesia, so it's probably only covering one portion of the Origin manga instead of being a full remake of 0079.

Origin trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzMo9sV_T-c
Origin site: http://www.gundam-the-origin.net/

I want Origin to at least be released via retail like Unicorn was so I could at least buy it as it comes.

Reconguista in G personally using one of the character design directions that I least prefer, but will watch. Hope it truly doesnt only stick to the space elevator the whole duration.

Not even the mother of them all? :(

I love Tomino's shows, it's just clear to me he has no idea how to end them...hence the non-endings in Zeta, ZZ, and Turn A.

Don't get me wrong growing up i really love the first Gundam but as i rewatch them and saw more gundam series i start to dislike his ones more and more .
I still like the first one , CC and maybe Z or the movie versions but everything else not so much .

Turn A has a non-ending how!?

There is no resolution
to the conflict between the Moonrace and the people of Earth. The main plot of the series is that the Moonrace want to return to their home planet, but are opposed by the people of Earth who don't want to allow it.

Complete non-ending.

I'm hyped as fuck for both. Both g reko and the origin look great. Shame origin isnt a full on remake. Itd look great in that style. Still, ill take what I can get.

Hearing that Akiman AND Kimitoshi Yamane are working on G-Reco has flipped my switch into Hype Mode - Fall can't come soon enough! But the standard drip feed of promo character sheets and teasers will probably tide me over.

Oh shit, Nishimura and Bengus? :O With Akiman, they have the Capcom Trinity working on the project! Hype!

Yeah I won't be surprised if Akiman pulled Nishimura and Bengus into the project, while Yoshida pulled the BONES folks. Those are some really clear connections.

So it's like they're getting the band back together, haha.
From what few names I can recognize on the list of staff, it's an impressive team of vets and professionals.

I like how Tomino's last two Gundams will have had the most non-Gundam looking main mecha in the series. The G-Reco Gundam (if that's even what it's called) looks nothing like one, and neither did the Turn A, other than the color scheme. :)

I wish I knew enough about art to say why I like it with more specific details than "I like its backpack, and its pointy, Grey-like head". It looks neat.

Reconguista in G personally using one of the character design directions that I least prefer, but will watch. Hope it truly doesnt only stick to the space elevator the whole duration.

I'm kind of antsy about anything outside of the basic premise, but I guess we'll both have to wait and see. Heck, this might be the first Tomino-directed odyssey that doesn't drag its feet OR go way too fast for its own good.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
No Gundam Build Fighters Season 2?

:(

I'm down. Although they could've picked a more appealing pic of the new suit. xD

Well it seems to be really early in production if they're using that terrible shot, and also reusing shots in a trailer.

The new show looks really interesting. Also, is it just me or does the new Gundam seem to be raising its eyebrow in this art?

I'm sure it's just the angle - but now I can't get it out of my head.
And the chin's starting to look like a frown...

Stars above, it's turning into a Gundam with attitude!

Ezalc

Eureka Gundam looks so odd, but in a good way. Interesting that it's in a different calender again. It's supposed to be in the one that comes after UC? Like continuity wise that was confirmed? Hm.

TheRancor

I'm sure it's just the angle - but now I can't get it out of my head.
And the chin's starting to look like a frown...

Stars above, it's turning into a Gundam with attitude!
It's not really the angle because I'm pretty sure they are aware of how it looks when they released it :p

CorvoSol

Not even the mother of them all? :(

I love Tomino's shows, it's just clear to me he has no idea how to end them...hence the non-endings in Zeta, ZZ, and Turn A.

You forgot CCA. For a movie that fans claim exists to resolve a problem that didn't exist until the movie happened, it sure as hell doesn't resolve jack. The Zeon are still there, the Earth Federation's done nothing to address that complaint, the meteor is still hanging above the Earth, and with the removal of
their leader
the Zeon forces are now a volatile element.

But nope. Gotta have my rainbow magic moment.

Anyway, new Gundam looks neat, I kinda like that the design is non-standard, but hearing that Tomino is directing and that it's set in UC is noooooooot confidence inspiring.

TheRancor

that it's set in UC
No no, it's set in Reguild Century, get it right! :p

Even if it is technically far future UC, I don't think Tomino has any motivation to continue in the UC style particularly. In an older interview he himself said "To use the Gundam name would get in the way of what we want to achieve... which is an entirely new robot series." The entire thing doesn't even look like UC anyways.

That said, it's still Tomino, so yeah lol. Though I'm pretty sure a number of people liked Turn A somewhat so who knows.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Core fighters are dumb and belong in the dumpster.

After seeing Victory I just can't be excited for a thing just because it's got Gundam and Tomino in there. Sure he later made Turn A which I love but goddamn have you seen Victory oh my god.

duckroll

After seeing Victory I just can't be excited for a thing just because it's got Gundam and Tomino in there. Sure he later made Turn A which I love but goddamn have you seen Victory oh my god.

Tomino has said many times over and over (and even today in his speech) that G-Reco is not really a "gundam" show. It's not meant for UC fans, and it just happens to take place "after UC". It's meant for kids and new audiences and he wants to have fun with it. So I totally expect this to be more like Overman King Gainer and Turn-A Gundam, where he just throws crazy ideas at talented designers and artists, and Sunrise tries to sell it using his name and the Gundam name.

Tomino has said many times over and over (and even today in his speech) that G-Reco is not really a "gundam" show. It's not meant for UC fans, and it just happens to take place "after UC". It's meant for kids and new audiences and he wants to have fun with it. So I totally expect this to be more like Overman King Gainer and Turn-A Gundam, where he just throws crazy ideas at talented designers and artists, and Sunrise tries to sell it using his name and the Gundam name.

That's encouraging.

The only reason Turn A itself is even considered a Gundam is because that's what one of the characters (who is insane) calls it.

Gelgoog shield, no traditional v-fin...maybe it's not actually a Gundam. :eek:

yami4ct

Just judging by the colorful art, happy looking character designs and very clean "futuristic" looking world, it certainly seems more in line with Tomino's happier works. When he goes full on dark and depressing like Victory, everything looks much grungier, broken and dirty. Color me excited!

Put me on the side that digs the fact that E7's character designer is doing work on this. Love those designs. Very different from the typical gundam character looks, but still really cool.

duckroll

Btw, I take ZERO responsibility if G-Reco turns out to be a total incomprehensible mess. Just saying. It looks promising, but it's STILL Tomino. :p

The only reason Turn A itself is even considered a Gundam is because that's what one of the characters (who is insane) calls it.

The whole Dark History reveal would have been so much more amazing if they hadn't made any references to Gundam but kept the Turn A's design the same.

Just call it - ∀

CorvoSol

No no, it's set in Reguild Century, get it right! :p

Even if it is technically far future UC, I don't think Tomino has any motivation to continue in the UC style particularly. In an older interview he himself said "To use the Gundam name would get in the way of what we want to achieve... which is an entirely new robot series." The entire thing doesn't even look like UC anyways.

That said, it's still Tomino, so yeah lol. Though I'm pretty sure a number of people liked Turn A somewhat so who knows.

See, I'm split, because I think that the further away from Tomino's style in the early UC Gundam gets, the better it is. I mean, holding on to certain Gundam conventions like Earth vs Space, sure, but I think that stuff that distances itself from UC tends to be better.

Core fighters are dumb and belong in the dumpster.

I'll take core fighters over Mobile Armors any day.

And that's encouraging, but if they could remove Tomino himself from the project or in some way mitigate his involvement I'd feel more assured. Tomino has a lot of great ideas, but he needs someone else to really execute them.

On the other hand, the Turn-A does have the color motif, does have the goatee, and the Turn-A's arsenal is pretty similar to the original Gundam until you add in fabulous butterfly mode.

yami4ct

Btw, I take ZERO responsibility if G-Reco turns out to be a total incomprehensible mess. Just saying. It looks promising, but it's STILL Tomino. :p

You guys can all blame me if it goes bad instead. This is going to be good guys! Return to Turn A Tomino. Believe!

Why would you take responsibility in the first place? You working for Sunrise? ;)

Unicorn is during UC 91 IIRC, as far as I know there are still UC shows after Unicorn. So no?

Unicorn's prologue and entire plot revolves around a secret from UC 0001, the founding of the new calendar system.

duckroll

I NEVER SAID AGE WAS GOOD WHAT THE FUCK I HATE AGE AND I HATED IT SINCE THE MOMENT IT WAS ANNOUNCED.

I'm calling my lawyer again. Chinner is done for.

yami4ct

You would be one of the few who think that...

Anyways disappointed at no Gundam Origin anime. But I'll take what I can get from Sunrise.

I don't know how to rate AGE. Not sure how to separate the good-ness of Part 2 and the horrible-ness of Part 1 and 3.

As for no Origin anime, as Duckroll mentioned in the anime-gaf thread, no reason to believe the won't adapt the rest if this part is successful.

As for no Origin anime, as Duckroll mentioned in the anime-gaf thread, no reason to believe the won't adapt the rest if this part is successful.

It's what I'm thinking too. They've got a real good thing going with Unicorn's spread out releases and if that success continues with young Char's tales from The Origin then there's virtually no reason for them to not continue making these.

Unicorn is during UC 91 IIRC, as far as I know there are still UC shows after Unicorn. So no?

Youre wrong. Unicorn is UC 0096.

First gundam - uc 0079
Zeta - uc 0087
ZZ - uc 0088
CCA - UC 0093
F91 - UC 0123
V - UC 0153

In case anyone needed a refresher.

Edit: fixed a typo

It's what I'm thinking too. They've got a real good thing going with Unicorn's spread out releases and if that success continues with young Char's tales from The Origin then there's virtually no reason for them to not continue making these.

That would work. If the OAVs are done chronologically and they're very successful, there's no reason why they couldn't do a follow-up featuring Amuro and White Base.

Youre wrong. Unicorn is UC 0096.

First gundam - uc 0079
Zeta - uc 0087
ZZ - uc 0088
CCA - UC 0093
F91 - UC 0123
V - UC 0053

In case anyone needed a refresher.

V was a prequel to 0079? I honestly had no idea. I guess I need to rewatch because I've long since forgotten the story.

Edit: so is Turn A part of UC or not? I've heard some people say it is.

V was a prequel to 0079? I honestly had no idea. I guess I need to rewatch because I've long since forgotten the story.

Edit: so is Turn A part of UC or not? I've heard some people say it is.

It is. Turn A unites all the various universes under the 'Dark History.'

Of course, certain fans don't want to acknowledge that because they didn't like Turn A. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom