• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, cool. He designed the Gerbera Tetra...and those creepy MS Girls. I should get that sketch framed.

I also have some animation cels, though the only mecha related one is of Hitomi from Escaflowne.

EDIT: I remember hunting for Gundam-related cels back then, but they were hideously expensive. At one point I considered getting one of Gundam Maxter from G Gundam, hardly my favorite design, but even that one was selling for around $250.

G Gundam is also my favorite Gundam show by a mile.

Also I'm glad I found someone who shares my opinion on SEED. It's so well designed and has such mass market appeal that it's probably the most important and influential show since the original MSG. A generation of fans grew up on SEED and it also brought in a ton of additional fans of the extra angsty soap opera stuff it has in there.

Strike Freedom is also UGLY AS SIN.

Here, here.

I never got the hate for SEED. To me, it always came off that people either hated SEED Destiny so much that they thinking SEED Destiny's faults also existed in SEED, or elitist UC fans who bash it because it's not a UC show. Without SEED, chances are I probably would not be a Gundam fan.

Also the Strike Freedom is not ugly so much as it just looks silly

I dunno why people hate S. Freedom. I think it looks fine personally. Not up to Exia level though.

As for Seed, I really liked it. Its not till Destiny that I treated it as a joke.

00> than everything for me though with Unicorn.

I dunno why people hate S. Freedom. I think it looks fine personally. Not up to Exia level though.

As for Seed, I really liked it. Its not till Destiny that I treated it as a joke.

00> than everything for me though with Unicorn.

The shoulders, to me just look out of place in comparison to the rest of the Gundam. I don't know about everyone else though.

CorvoSol

Controversial bad opinion times but I still sort of think that the Freedom and Wing Zero Custom are the best AU lead mech designs. Exia, God and Destiny are also pretty cool.

Zeta and ZZ are pretty damn awesome, too.

Beth Cyra

Controversial bad opinion times but I still sort of think that the Freedom and Wing Zero Custom are the best AU lead mech designs. Exia, God and Destiny are also pretty cool.

Zeta and ZZ are pretty damn awesome, too.
Not sure how this is controversial or bad, both Wing Zero EW and Freedom are super popular and beloved suits.

As for me my top three are

Wing Gundam EW
Gundam X
OO Seven Sword/G

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Freedom, Destiny, and Wing Zero Custom are the best AU Gundams.

Strike Freedom is a piece of shit that is a downgrade from regular Freedom.

1. Exia
2. 00 #1 with Raiser
3. WZTV
4. Zeta
5. Nu

Thats my top 5 suits. Unicorn would be up there if it didn't require NTD to go to its superior form.

tuffy

Oh, cool. He designed the Gerbera Tetra...and those creepy MS Girls. I should get that sketch framed.

I also have some animation cels, though the only mecha related one is of Hitomi from Escaflowne.

EDIT: I remember hunting for Gundam-related cels back then, but they were hideously expensive. At one point I considered getting one of Gundam Maxter from G Gundam, hardly my favorite design, but even that one was selling for around $250.
$250 for a run-of-the-mill G Gundam cel is ridiculous. If you check out Yahoo Japan's auctions via a deputy service it's easy to track down a lot of Gundam cels ranging from a few hundred yen to a few thousand and without a lot of competition. It helps that there's a lot of G Gundam episodes so there's plenty of cels to go around.

CorvoSol

Now, if we're talking side Gundams, it's like this:

1. Heavy Arms EW
2. Justice
3. Dynames
4. Dragon

And for villains:

1. Epyon
2. Devil
3. Turn X
4. Qubeley
5. Sazabi

Beth Cyra

I don't think liking G or Turn A is controversial. Even outside GAF every person I've ever talked to about G has liked it.
G?

Nah, show did well and has a large following. Turn A? No, show did terribly and even with the following it has been able to gather over the years it by no means has become common place.

Even the big poll in Gundam ACE a few years back had Turn rank very low. Is it looked down on like Destiny, AGE, or X? No, but again its not popular or viewed as good by the majority either.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The vast bulk of G hatred comes from die hard UC people in Japan. Over the years people have softened on that position considerably.

G has also obtained a cult status in the west. It didn't do that well when they showed it (better than MSG ratings wise, less than SEED, pretty bad DVD sales) but the people who really did like it kept it going.

G is so well put together that even with its silly premise and blatant, sometimes hilarious stereotyping it still leaves a positive impression with most people who watch it. It's possibly the best written Gundam show pound for pound and despite not being a war story paints a frightening picture of the future of our planet if conflict and resource mismanagement continues without getting all super serious about how it is presented. The emotions presented are largely real despite being wrapped around the most Shonen of all premises possible, a giant robot fighting tournament eventually won by the power of friendship and love.

The final scenes with the Undefeated of the East and the reveal of the true villain are handled so masterfully. It gets me everytime. Sure, Ulube wears a mask and does a couple of suspicious things early on but the way everything wraps up is amazing.

Most Gundam shows have horrible endings, even the good ones. They tend to run out of time telling their stories and try to wrap things up in far too little time. G Gundam is plotted out perfectly.

It's music is funky and stirring and becomes really great when they move the show to Hong Kong where it takes on this great HK action movie theme and goes with it. I also cannot recommend the dub enough and hope whenever its US rights get sorted out that they don't go through the trouble of redubbing it when it inevitably gets re-released. I think a remastered G Gundam would go wonderfully on the TOONAMI block in the US but mainly I would buy Blu-Rays of the show in english at almost any price.

CorvoSol

I dunno how I feel about the G dub. On the one hand, it's really great. On the other hand, it changed some Gundam names I wish it hadn't. Like, not even so much the Dark and Burning thing, but more the changes of stuff like Lumber to Grizzly.

Either version is fine, though, I think.

G Gundam is easily one of the best giant robot series out there, and I think the hate for it comes largely from the fact that it's not really a Gundam series outside of what the robots look like and the fact that humanity has migrated into space.

But look at its staff. Directed by Imagawa Yasuhiro, one of the most talented, imaginative guys out there. The guy behind Giant Robo, Shin Mazinger, the 2004 (?) Tetsujin 28-go TV series, Seven of Seven, the first two or three episodes of the '90s Getter Robo OAV...someone who perfectly understands the structure, the pacing, and most importantly, the emotional appeal of those classic 1970s robot shows. He skillfully blended elements of satire, parody, and genuine emotion and melodrama into what could have been a generic fighting show.

Of course, in this he was very lucky to collaborate with Gobu Fuyunori, who was one of (the main?) screenwriters on GaoGaiGar, another truly sincere, hot-blooded, action-packed throwback to the halcyon days of transforming robot action.

And for mechanical design, not only did he have the legendary Ookawara Kunio, who was still doing pretty decent work and whose more toyetic style was perfectly suited to the highly stylized designs of each country's representative mobile fighter, he had rising star Katoki Hajime to provide the designs for the bad guys. Katoki's Master Gundam design would pretty obviously influence Ookawara's future designs...Wing Gundam, Wing Zero, Epyon, and later Designs like Destiny all borrow design elements from Master Gundam, though the most obvious are the wings.

And last, but not least, Tanaka Kohei, one of the best composers working in Japanese animation today. Sakura Taisen, GaoGaiGar, One Piece, 08th MS Team, King Gainer, Gunbuster, Diebuster...the man has done so much memorable stuff.

G Gundam. :bow

Beth Cyra

G Gundam is easily one of the best giant robot series out there, and I think the hate for it comes largely from the fact that it's not really a Gundam series outside of what the robots look like and the fact that humanity has migrated into space.

But look at its staff. Directed by Imagawa Yasuhiro, one of the most talented, imaginative guys out there. The guy behind Giant Robo, Shin Mazinger, the 2004 (?) Tetsujin 28-go TV series, Seven of Seven, the first two or three episodes of the '90s Getter Robo OAV...someone who perfectly understands the structure, the pacing, and most importantly, the emotional appeal of those classic 1970s robot shows. He skillfully blended elements of satire, parody, and genuine emotion and melodrama into what could have been a generic fighting show.

Of course, in this he was very lucky to collaborate with Gobu Fuyunori, who was one of (the main?) screenwriters on GaoGaiGar, another truly sincere, hot-blooded, action-packed throwback to the halcyon days of transforming robot action.

And for mechanical design, not only did he have the legendary Ookawara Kunio, who was still doing pretty decent work and whose more toyetic style was perfectly suited to the highly stylized designs of each country's representative mobile fighter, he had rising star Katoki Hajime to provide the designs for the bad guys. Katoki's Master Gundam design would pretty obviously influence Ookawara's future designs...Wing Gundam, Wing Zero, Epyon, and later Designs like Destiny all borrow design elements from Master Gundam, though the most obvious are the wings.

And last, but not least, Tanaka Kohei, one of the best composers working in Japanese animation today. Sakura Taisen, GaoGaiGar, One Piece, 08th MS Team, King Gainer, Gunbuster, Diebuster...the man has done so much memorable stuff.

G Gundam. :bow
This is a great post showing why I hate G Gundam. Every single thing you credited to these creators i find to be complete trash and lacking compared to the majority of the Robot genre.

The one and only exception to that is the first two eps of Getter Robot Arm. Aside from that this list only needs Gurren to round out my most overrated mechanisms list.

This is a great post showing why I hate G Gundam. Every single thing you credited to these creators i find to be complete trash and lacking compared to the majority of the Robot genre.

The one and only exception to that is the first two eps of Getter Robot Arm. Aside from that this list only needs Gurren to round out my most overrated mechanisms list.

Every single thing? Ouch. :(

Gurren Lagann. <3

Beth Cyra

Every single thing? Ouch. :(

Gurren Lagann. <3
Its just there style and I don't get along it seems. GaoGaiGar and Overman King Gainer are probably the two most painful Mecha shows I've ever endured. And I've seen gutter trash like Kannazuki No Miko and Mai Hime.

I'm not some crazy mech hater either. I love the genre and several of the shows, I just however can't get behind what seems to be popular these days.

Getter Robo, Getter Robo G, Getter Robo Manga, Neo Getter Vs Shin Getter (talk about a controversial opinion), Mazinger Z, Great, Grendizer, Genesis of Aquarion, Macross, and dozens more.

Its just there style and I don't get along it seems. GaoGaiGar and Overman King Gainer are probably the two most painful Mecha shows I've ever endured. And I've seen gutter trash like Kannazuki No Miko and Mai Hime.

I don't really watch non-mecha anime, so I haven't seen those two shows.

That said, Gainer and GaoGaiGar are completely different than your average Gundam show. GaoGaiGar is very specifically aimed at young children. Gainer is very intentionally silly and ridiculous (it actually resembles ZZ in that respect), with moments of melodrama.

Their appeal is totally different from that of tonally serious shows like Zeta, 00 or even Wing. Those shows were also aimed at kids but with an eye towards the teen and young adult market as well.

Beth Cyra

I don't really watch non-mecha anime, so I haven't seen those two shows.

That said, Gainer and GaoGaiGar are completely different than your average Gundam show. GaoGaiGar is very specifically aimed at young children. Gainer is very intentionally silly and ridiculous (it actually resembles ZZ in that respect), with moments of melodrama.

Their appeal is totally different from that of tonally serious shows like Zeta, 00 or even Wing. Those shows were also aimed at kids but with an eye towards the teen and young adult market as well.

I don't think the aim is the problem. As I mentioned I love Sousei No Aqaurion, Aquarion Movie, and Aquarion OVA. Hell even the Getter Robo and Getter Robo G are very G rated compared to the Manga and yet I love them. So again I don't think it's as simple as saying one isn't as serious and there for I don't like it.

And as for those two shows, they are Mecha, they are just fucking awful mecha and anime in general.

GaoGaiGar can be a little rough at times due to its target audience. The show's endgame and FINAL are flipping awesome, though.

I wouldn't know. I sat through about 12 episodes of GaoGaiGar and wanted to do very, very terrible things to that little boy. The shows commercials and fans make it out like Guy is the lead, and that is a dirty fucking lie at least for early GaoGaiGar.

I don't think the aim is the problem. As I mentioned I love Sousei No Aqaurion, Aquarion Movie, and Aquarion OVA.

And as for those two shows, they are Mecha, they are just fucking awful mecha and anime in general.

Got to disagree with you there. I love them both, I think they're very well done on a creative level.

Aquarion wasn't aimed at young children, I believe.

EDIT: sorry for the double post, thought I was editing my previous one (on my phone).

Beth Cyra

Got to disagree with you there. I love them both, I think they're very well done on a creative level.

Aquarion wasn't aimed at young children, I believe.

No no, I meant Kannazuki No Miko and Mai Hime are mecha, trashy shows.

Though I do believe the same about GaoGairGar and Overman King Gainer.

Segments of Aquarion got serious, however ALOT of Aquarion wasn't remotely serious. The Movie was them singing the Intro Song and it powering them up to defeat the monster of the week. This is another thing, I don't just hate on Monster of the Week style systems. Aquarion employs this as well, as does Sailor Moon and my avatar should show my love of that series.

Blader

SEED is a bad show. It's not a case of Destiny being bad, so let's make SEED retroactively bad too. It was bad from the beginning. The art style is ugly (samefaces all around), the mech designs are boring, Kira is an awful protagonist, Lacus is an awful whatever she is, the stock footage flows out of every episode. CAGALLI IS CRYING and so on.

Fukuda's storytelling sensibilities are more focued on actively shipping his characters and making sure nothing bad happens to them (oh you thought [blank] was dead? he's actually alive! happy endings for all!!) than saying anything meaningful or interesting. It's pop Gundam and in bad taste. Whether the show was good for business for Sunrise or Gunpla sales means fuck all to me.

AGE is also a bad show, but mostly because of its terribad final episode that casts an enormous shadow over the whole thing. And Destiny is the worst because it's just a failure. While SEED and AGE are bad, Destiny sought out to do one thing, but ended up in a completely direction and was all the worse for it. It's the only show in the franchise that actually failed its mission statement.

I dunno how I feel about the G dub. On the one hand, it's really great. On the other hand, it changed some Gundam names I wish it hadn't. Like, not even so much the Dark and Burning thing, but more the changes of stuff like Lumber to Grizzly.

Either version is fine, though, I think.

I really like G's dub. Most of the VAs are kinda eh, but Mark Gatha's Domon is fucking awesome and the guy who voices Master Asia is excellent too.

Andrew J.

Gundam Build Fighters 23

Oh man, those life-size Gundam and Zaku statues have to play a role in the finale, right? I mean,
surely there are enough Plavsky particles in that giant crystal to get them moving.

Aizo

Banned
Didn't someone say the Banshee Norn was some sort of online exclusive thing? I saw it in Bic Camera today, so that's not true.
A1eFKjU.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom