• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Still surprised that no Amuro illegitimate child has been revealed. :(

I mean the guy sleeps with Sayla.
What a better way to say F U to Char than to knock up his sister? lol

Poor Chan had to die to stupid Hathaway so no road there. >.>

I mean if we play off the Uso angle, Uso's dad/grandfather must be alive during Unicorn so Char has some descendants going and a few clones running around.

Wait, what? Man what the heck.

Somewhat off-topic, but Trueprime I just saw the episode of Great Mazinger where Jun struggles with racism in Japan and it was pretty darn awesome.

I came into this thread because I thought it was the Build Fighter one, then I saw this and I don't think I was where I intended to be.

Man I don't want to embrace as canon a story where pubic hair amulets are a key plot point.

I haven't seen the original Gundam and CCA in forever but this is just so strange it caught my attention. What's the joke about?

Beth Cyra

Wait, what? Man what the heck.

Somewhat off-topic, but Trueprime I just saw the episode of Great Mazinger where Jun struggles with racism in Japan and it was pretty darn awesome.
Great Mazinger is a great show. Grendizer is also very awesome and does a good job with the fish out of water/adjustment theme if you're into that kinda thing.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I came into this thread because I thought it was the Build Fighter one, then I saw this and I don't think I was where I intended to be.

I haven't seen the original Gundam and CCA in forever but this is just so strange it caught my attention. What's the joke about?

In the novel, its mentioned that feddy pilots sometimes carry their girlfriend's pubes around as goodluck charms called amulets. Amuro, who banges Sayla in the novel, becomes concerned for his safety after one of the Pegasus's GM pilots is killed. So he asks Sayla for her pubes before A Boa Qu, she is pretty disgusted and turns him down. Amuro dies in battle, and Kai cries to himself that it was because he never got an amulet.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
My favorite hilarious Gundam going off the rails in adaptation moment is how in the G Gundam manga it is clear that the author hates Rain and is totally forcing another romantic path with Allenby instead.

I have to say, I'm trying to imagine what the thought process was when they put this on paper. Were they giggling like schoolgirl or were they straight-faced and proud that what they wrote had an ounce of gravitas? I was thinking of making a joke about japanese women shaving but somehow Gundam pubes amulets is enough to wrap my head around.

I have to say, I'm trying to imagine what the thought process was when they put this on paper. Were they giggling like schoolgirl or were they straight-faced and proud that what they wrote had an ounce of gravitas? I was thinking of making a joke about japanese women shaving but somehow Gundam pubes amulets is enough to wrap my head around.

It is actually part of historical Japanese culture. It pops up a lot if you look at World War II from their perspective. It might be crazy to us, but Tomino didn't come up with it on his own.

It is actually part of historical Japanese culture. It pops up a lot if you look at World War II from their perspective. It might be crazy to us, but Tomino didn't come up with it on his own.

You really got my attention and I did some quick googling. I just read that japanese soldiers actually had some amulets made from comfort women in WW2. NOW THAT SHIT IS DISTURBING ON SO MANY LEVELS.

CorvoSol

Great Mazinger is a great show. Grendizer is also very awesome and does a good job with the fish out of water/adjustment theme if you're into that kinda thing.

Yeah, I was really blown away. Like, I started the episode expecting just another tussle with Mycenae like always, maybe a death of an unimportant secondary character, something like that.

Then it's like "Are you ready for a special episode? Cuz you're getting some heavy stuff today, son." Posted my thoughts on it here.

It's not canon, so no need to give a fuck.

Oh, good. So I don't have to worry about Char having little Amuro nephews then.

My favorite hilarious Gundam going off the rails in adaptation moment is how in the G Gundam manga it is clear that the author hates Rain and is totally forcing another romantic path with Allenby instead.

I've heard about this. Almost want to see it, just so I can laugh.

Not just Japanese culture. Apparently quite a few cultures have made good luck tokens for soldiers from pubic hairs. Apparently it has to do with fertility, which represents life or something

Beth Cyra

Yeah, I was really blown away. Like, I started the episode expecting just another tussle with Mycenae like always, maybe a death of an unimportant secondary character, something like that.

Then it's like "Are you ready for a special episode? Cuz you're getting some heavy stuff today, son." Posted my thoughts on it here.

Oh, good. So I don't have to worry about Char having little Amuro nephews then.

I've heard about this. Almost want to see it, just so I can laugh.
Great post as usual Corvo. Great really covers some good stuff. Grendizer doesn't do race, but actually goes into Genocide and other issues. This is why I always, always recommend people give both Great and Grendizer a full run.

CorvoSol

Great post as usual Corvo. Great really covers some good stuff. Grendizer doesn't do race, but actually goes into Genocide and other issues. This is why I always, always recommend people give both Great and Grendizer a full run.

Jun has definitely unhorsed Sayaka as my favorite Mazingirl already. Like, Nagai plays his ladies for maximum fan-service, which makes Jun's sudden, well done character development in this episode that much more unexpected and that much better.

Beth Cyra

Jun has definitely unhorsed Sayaka as my favorite Mazingirl already. Like, Nagai plays his ladies for maximum fan-service, which makes Jun's sudden, well done character development in this episode that much more unexpected and that much better.

Jun is easily my favorite element of Great Mazinger, and she is either number 2 or tied with Maria Grace for my favorite Nagi female lead.

Don't get me wrong, I love Great as a Machine however he came around the same time as Grendizer and is noticably weaker so he has the weird middle child of the original 3 Mazinger brothers.

CorvoSol

Jun is easily my favorite element of Great Mazinger, and she is either number 2 or tied with Maria Grace for my favorite Nagi female lead.

Don't get me wrong, I love Great as a Machine however he came around the same time as Grendizer and is noticably weaker so he has the weird middle child of the original 3 Mazinger brothers.

Still gotta get to Grendizer. Kaiser is my favorite designwise, but I love Thunder Break.

Sayla and Amuro hooked up behind the scenes. BELIEVE.

On the one hand, sure. On the other hand, Fraw Bow makes it sound like Amuro and Sayla didn't hook up when they meet in Zeta.
Amuro calls it deuces at the last moment in CCA and goes and hooks up with Sayla then.

CorvoSol

They hooked up on the down low. Why would Amuro tell Fraw, his gossipy ex, what he was up to with his hated rival's little sis? ;)

On the one hand, if Amuro had hooked up with Fraw Bow we never would've had to deal with Beltorchika and that is dandy.

On the other hand, if Fraw Bow had come to me and been like "let's get married and raise Katz." I would've hidden and used Lalah's ghost, the Earth Federation government, and gosh darn hobgoblins as an excuse for her to visit as rarely as possible. So I can't blame Amuro for that anymore.

EDIT: GOOD GRIEF. All month I've been waiting for my "March Restock" Zeta and ZZ to ship from HLJ. I decided to go see what was going on, and now they're marked "April Restock" and "Backordered." What the fuck, HLJ. This isn't cool at all.

EDIT: Now it looks like Zeta has shipped, but ZZ is still in limbo for some reason.

RSLAEV

OK, the last 6 episodes of 08th MS team were much better. And switching from English to Japanese helped a lot.

Next up: MS Igloo!

Scavenger

EDIT: GOOD GRIEF. All month I've been waiting for my "March Restock" Zeta and ZZ to ship from HLJ. I decided to go see what was going on, and now they're marked "April Restock" and "Backordered." What the fuck, HLJ. This isn't cool at all.

EDIT: Now it looks like Zeta has shipped, but ZZ is still in limbo for some reason.
HLJ is weird. Received payment request yesterday for Byarlant Custom, Jegan ECOAS, Unicorn Gundam Unicorn mode and Banshee Norn Destroy mode . Byarlant was supposed to be restocked in June, Unicorn mode and Jegan ECOAS both in May... I'm still waiting for HGCE Aile Strike Gundam which has been pushed back to April, GM Sniper 2 backordered, Stark Jegan which is supposed to be restocked this month but who knows when it'll actually arrive at HLJ.

CorvoSol

HLJ is weird. Received payment request yesterday for Byarlant Custom, Jegan ECOAS, Unicorn Gundam Unicorn mode and Banshee Norn Destroy mode . Byarlant was supposed to be restocked in June, Unicorn mode and Jegan ECOAS both in May... I'm still waiting for HGCE Aile Strike Gundam which has been pushed back to April, GM Sniper 2 backordered, Stark Jegan which is supposed to be restocked this month but who knows when it'll actually arrive at HLJ.

Yeah it's just straight up hijinks. I ordered these kits like, at the start of the month, just before their HG sale, they waited till the last possible minute to ship my Zeta and I guess ZZ got pushed back a full month. I suppose there's not much they can do if the restock goes wrong, but I'm still pretty ticked off by it.

I have probably asked this already couple of times lol but are the movies good summary of the original Gundam or have they removed too much? Three movies would be easier to watch than the whole series.

CorvoSol

I have probably asked this already couple of times lol but are the movies good summary of the original Gundam or have they removed too much? Three movies would be easier to watch than the whole series.

From what I understand the trilogy is supposed to be a good watch if you don't want to sit through the series.

Unlike that filthy vile Zeta movie that has a terrible ending that ruins fun and happiness and kills babies.

SkyOdin

The movies are probably the better version, actually. They cut out a lot of the filler and slow parts, bring up important plot points (such as the existence of Newtypes) a lot sooner, and still cover most of the iconic scenes of the series. I ended up only watching about half of the TV version of Mobile Suit Gundam, and filled in the gaps by watching the movies.

The movies do make some changes to the series, particular when to comes to the mecha. They cut out the combination stuff, the G-Armor, the beam javelins, and so forth. However, most of those changes were done to reduce the amount of super-robot style elements that were originally added primarily for toy marketing purposes, and in many ways the movies are supposed to be more of a director's cut version of the story.

From what I understand the trilogy is supposed to be a good watch if you don't want to sit through the series.

Unlike that filthy vile Zeta movie that has a terrible ending that ruins fun and happiness and kills babies.
The movies are probably the better version, actually. They cut out a lot of the filler and slow parts, bring up important plot points (such as the existence of Newtypes) a lot sooner, and still cover most of the iconic scenes of the series. I ended up only watching about half of the TV version of Mobile Suit Gundam, and filled in the gaps by watching the movies.

The movies do make some changes to the series, particular when to comes to the mecha. They cut out the combination stuff, the G-Armor, the beam javelins, and so forth. However, most of those changes were done to reduce the amount of super-robot style elements that were originally added primarily for toy marketing purposes, and in many ways the movies are supposed to be more of a director's cut version of the story.

Thanks! Saturday is looking to be a good hangover day to watch some animu.

Blader

Yeah, for the original series the movies are definitely the better version to watch, though just be aware that they're sub only if that matters to you.

I actually prefer the Zeta movies to the tv series, but they're not at all recommended for a first-time watch.

CorvoSol

Guys is there a list of Metal Builds? And are they all 1/100 scale only? Cuz I was thinking I'd like to try one some day, but I can't find a list of 'em anywhere.

NEO0MJ

Guys is there a list of Metal Builds? And are they all 1/100 scale only? Cuz I was thinking I'd like to try one some day, but I can't find a list of 'em anywhere.

Here's a list. All of them are 1/100 except for the Psycho Gundams which are 1/144 scale. I've always been tempted by the Psycho Gundam II but it's so pricey.

Beth Cyra

Wait, I thought there was a Metal Build of the Destiny?

Metal Build Destiny is possibly the best Metal Build to date. They took the design and altered it and made it into something really special.

I could see someone prefering the Raiser or Exia if your a stickler for line art, but still Destiny is the best one so far to me.

That said I'm not going to get a Metal Build unless it's one of my top three units just because of the price involved.

CorvoSol

Metal Build Destiny is possibly the best Metal Build to date. They took the design and altered it and made it into something really special.

I could see someone prefering the Raiser or Exia if your a stickler for line art, but still Destiny is the best one so far to me.

That said I'm not going to get a Metal Build unless it's one of my top three units just because of the price involved.

Yeah, I think if I were really going to chip in for a Metal Build it'd have to be the Zeta, ZZ, Wing Zero C or Freedom.

Beth Cyra

Yeah, I think if I were really going to chip in for a Metal Build it'd have to be the Zeta, ZZ, Wing Zero C or Freedom.

They have a Metal Build Freedom (also a special Extra Finish RErelease) but I find it to be the weakest of the Metal Builds.

It really does nothing to stand out from the crowd and they didn't change it in anyway like the did the Destiny. Not bad by any means, so you should probably check it out.

CorvoSol

How Amuro and Bright put up with that crap is still a total mystery. Gotta point out though that I don't recall there being that much philosophy junk coming out of the teenagers' mouths in MSG.

They have a Metal Build Freedom (also a special Extra Finish RErelease) but I find it to be the weakest of the Metal Builds.

It really does nothing to stand out from the crowd and they didn't change it in anyway like the did the Destiny. Not bad by any means, so you should probably check it out.

Looks rad, but 200 dollars is not an acceptable amount for this jazz.

Beth Cyra

How Amuro and Bright put up with that crap is still a total mystery. Gotta point out though that I don't recall there being that much philosophy junk coming out of the teenagers' mouths in MSG.

Looks rad, but 200 dollars is not an acceptable amount for this jazz.

Yeah, see that is my issue.

Granted the build quality is there, and having it be the metal parts and everything it's really a high class figure, but still I can't just bring myself to drop that money.

Even if Wing Zero EW drops, they will need to do some Destiny level awesomeness for me to consider it. They need to make these things unique, if they are just dublicates of the line art like the MG's, then I will just build an MG.

CorvoSol

Yeah, see that is my issue.

Granted the build quality is there, and having it be the metal parts and everything it's really a high class figure, but still I can't just bring myself to drop that money.

Even if Wing Zero EW drops, they will need to do some Destiny level awesomeness for me to consider it. They need to make these things unique, if they are just dublicates of the line art like the MG's, then I will just build an MG.

Like, I could maybe shell out a hundred for it, but even then.

I own a few Metal Builds and Fix Figuration Metal Composites. They make beautiful display pieces.

Fix Figurations are based off Katoki lineart. Metal Builds are either based on the original artists' lineart, or totally redesigned like the Destiny.

Beth Cyra

I own a few Metal Builds and Fix Figuration Metal Composites. They make beautiful display pieces.

Fix Figurations are based off Katoki lineart. Metal Builds are either based on the original artists' lineart, or totally redesigned like the Destiny.

It's shocking to me that up until Unicorn, Katoki's most famous creation was never put into the GFF line. We've had Strike, God, and Wing EW but through it all they've never released a Wing Gundam Zero EW GFF Metal.

A part of me wonders if and when they release Zero if they will put him in GFF or Metal Build, he could go in either but I have a feeling they would just go Metal Build as GFF has become nearly UC exclusive over the last two years. In fact as far as I can remember not one Zero release has ever been designated as a Ver Ka.

The MG (though the MG was designed by him even though it was marketed as such), PG, HG, and toys have never carried it. In fact it's always Wing Gundam that gets the Ka treatment despite Katoki making Zero.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Do Metal Builds really cost 200 bucks when they first come out, though?

It's crazy, isn't it?

Worst part is that I don't think metal builds are all that worth it. After having been into 40k/Warmachine/Hordes/etc for years, I've found that I PREFER plastic/resin for a number of reasons. Metal stuff is novelty to me.

NEO0MJ

It's crazy, isn't it?

Worst part is that I don't think metal builds are all that worth it. After having been into 40k/Warmachine/Hordes/etc for years, I've found that I PREFER plastic/resin for a number of reasons. Metal stuff is novelty to me.

It depends. I can't stand the thought of a non-diecast super robot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom