• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, I agree Z movie is not meant to retcon ZZ. Just give Z a happy ending.

Z movies are supposed to exist in a vacuum. They don't really have any connection to anything else and are more like "what if?" versions on Z.

I dunno, I mean, MSG-Z-ZZ all seem like a fairly consistent set of stories. As much flak as I give CCA the events in it didn't seem to directly contradict things that had happened in previous shows.

Anything post CCA, though, sure.

The Gundam movies contradict the show, the Zeta movies contradict the series, the CCA novels contradict the movie, Gaia Gear contradicts G-Saviour, Hassaway's Flash contradicts CCA as well, etc etc. Gundam continuity is extremely fluid, IMO. That's why all the arguments regarding what is and isn't canonical seem a little silly to me. The franchise isn't known for its consistency.

Beth Cyra

The Gundam movies contradict the show, the Zeta movies contradict the series, the CCA novels contradict the movie, Gaia Gear contradicts G-Saviour, Hassaway's Flash contradicts CCA as well, etc etc. Gundam continuity is extremely fluid, IMO. That's why all the arguments regarding what is and isn't canonical seem a little silly to me. The franchise isn't known for its consistency.

And this applies to AU's just as well as UC.

Wing can't make up it's mind when and where Wing Zero EW actually is, and if it's canon that it fought in the final battle against Epyon, if it and Wing EW was there all along or if it's actually an upgrade to Wing Zero TV.

Let alone all the SEED variants with SEED, SEED Astray, Destiny, Destiny Astray and the billion other crazy things it has going on.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Endless Waltz supposes that the Wing Zero always had angel wings. The only nice thing about it is that outside of that and a few other minor design oversights its an actual sequel and not just a condensed reimagining like most Gundam movies.

Beth Cyra

Endless Waltz supposes that the Wing Zero always had angel wings. The only nice thing about it is that outside of that and a few other minor design oversights its an actual sequel and not just a condensed reimagining like most Gundam movies.

Yes but even this basic concept (Wing EW and Wing Zero EW always being there) has been altered the last few years with the release of Glory of the Losers and Frozen Teardrop.

CorvoSol

On the flip side Endless Waltz's ending is possibly the worst ending that isn't Assemu and Kio sucking off Flit's statue's dick or Giant Space Flowers.

Like, I'm not a fan of the Rainbow Meteor Slashfic Death, but for reals, the fact that the cast of Endless Waltz went through the entire movie and somehow did not learn a single thing blows my mind.

Beth Cyra

On the flip side Endless Waltz's ending is possibly the worst ending that isn't Assemu and Kio sucking off Flit's statue's dick or Giant Space Flowers.

Like, I'm not a fan of the Rainbow Meteor Slashfic Death, but for reals, the fact that the cast of Endless Waltz went through the entire movie and somehow did not learn a single thing blows my mind.

Which was great because it was retconned with in a year and a half by the very next Gundam show when Turn A revealed the black history.

So pointless, at least Frozen Teardrop and Glory will hopefully rewrite the entire ending, it will be the one of the few saving graces of the new stories.

frye

Some of it is kinda dicey, esp. when shit is inserted into the OYW (notably 08th and the Igloo stuff) but generally if it's animated, it's canon. The 0079 movies take precedence over the series because CCA takes the footage from the former for its flashbacks, but the Zeta series takes precedence over the movies because the latter omit some seriously important parts (i.e. Dakar) as well as fuck the timeline up post-Zeta.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Finished this a while back, forgot to post a photo. Already ordered the 1.5 Gundam as my next build :D

iZX63fQw5XUMX.jpg

Crummy cell phone photo but yeah.

Blader

What is canon in the Gundam universe anyway...between the animated productions that conflict with each other, the AU series, the various novels and manga series...Gundam continuity really just comes down to what you like and don't like. :)

Sunrise's rule on the matter is that only the anime and the old MSV line are considered canon. Those are the only works where they have direct creative input/control, whereas the dozen of manga, video game, novel, model kit spin-offs are more or less outside of their purview. So Frozen Teardrop, Gaia Gear, Hathaway's Flash, Crossbone, Sentinel, Advance of Zeta, etc etc etc aren't considered a part of the official canon.

CorvoSol

The original Gundam couldn't even fly though. Shoot, I don't even think the Mk. II can?

Actually I'm not sure if/when UC Gundams begin to be able to fly without them little surfboards.

Doesn't the Victory fly? The hard thing is I remember 'em flying around in space but that's not really the same as flight under gravity.

That is also a minvosky particle based propulsion system. So you either need something like a wave rider mode that turns a mobile suit into a pseudo plane or a minovsky craft system to fly.

Generally mobile suits are meant for use in space and space only. That's why Zeon built a bunch of crazy aquatic ones because generally it was kind of assumed that anything else would be rather awful at being able to operate under water.

Blader

The original Gundam couldn't even fly though. Shoot, I don't even think the Mk. II can?

Actually I'm not sure if/when UC Gundams begin to be able to fly without them little surfboards.

Well Zeta can, since it can transform into the waverider. But otherwise it's not until Xi and onward.

Finally finished my Beginning J Gundam!
I did make a few modifications to it, and I'm really glad with how it ended up looking.
I have GundamGAF to thank for introducing me to Build Fighters so I could get into this rad hobby.
Edit: The heavy lining is intentional, so it looks like my art and what not.

Beth Cyra

Shouldn't ZZ as well, then? Or is the G-Fortress just too hilariously large to fly under gravity?

The crazy amount of thrusters on the G-Fortress should be able to carry the thing even on earth.

I don't think it was ever confirmed if G-Fortress could one way or another though. Sadly the Fortress got way less air time then I would've liked, G-Fortress is easily the single best Gundam vehicle transformation to me.

So I moved to a new apartment recently. About a block away from us is a teriyaki place.

To my surprise, the place is decorated with Gunpla!

Here are some pictures I took.

http://imgur.com/a/EyUJ9

As bonus, this is the setup I have for my new models. A few didn't survive the move that well: Particularly my Bawoo, Zaku III Mashymre custom and Dynames, so I didn't display them. I'm trying to find a way to repair them, but replacement parts aren't cheap and it's almost like I should just buy new kits. Also, I can't find the back fin for my The O, which sucks.

iOdnK0o.jpg

For the most part, they're set up in order of production, though with a few swaps.

CorvoSol

Man just a few more days and I can begin building my backlog of gunpla. I will silently cry as it dawns on me how much money I spent on them over the year.

I don't know how long you're here, but have fun! Book Off is heaven, as I'm sure you know.

Back to Seattle early Monday morning. This is our third time in Japan, so I know the joys of Book Off. Got some fun little books for my daughter alongside games and BDs.

There used to be a Book Off in Vancouver, but it closed last year. Sad.

Played some Maxi Boost today and main'd AGE-2. Awwwwesome.

Also did Gundam Front today. Last time we were here, the Gundam was down in Shizuoka.

Wubby

Made a quick run to the shop this morning to pick up the new kits. Haven't seen the GP base in stock for a long time so finally picked one up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom