• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

I think it'd be nice to have one for display, but I'm mostly satisfied with my 1/144 scale stuff for now (stupid Super Robots always being more expensive than Reals.) If they ever did a Metal Build Epyon, though, my money would weep.

CorvoSol

Wait, you don't get to build the Metal Builds? Sorta less cool, but I could still live with one. If it was like, 1/4 as expensive.

Ezalc

Personally I have no interest in anything pre-built. The fun is in the build for me.

I'm the opposite. Gunpla is not at all interesting to me and just seems like too much work for something I won't actually be able to play with. I want action figures. I had a Master Gundam gunpla which I'm positive I built wrong since I didn't use glue or anything, just connected the pieces and I pretty much hated it. Got the action figure later, so much better.

NEO0MJ

Personally I have no interest in anything pre-built. The fun is in the build for me.

I feel the same way about Gundam. There's just something so magical about building a model kit. The only reason I want the FFM Psycho Gundam MK.II is that it's the only available version of that mobile suit.

I'm the opposite. Gunpla is not at all interesting to me and just seems like too much work for something I won't actually be able to play with. I want action figures. I had a Master Gundam gunpla which I'm positive I built wrong since I didn't use glue or anything, just connected the pieces and I pretty much hated it. Got the action figure later, so much better.

That model is pretty old, whether it's the MG version or the original. Most modern gunpla are pretty good, especially the MGs. Still, model kits aren't for everyone.

You shouldn't need glue for most Gunpla. Certainly not something that was made in the last 15 years.

It could be to strengthen joints. Old model kits were really loose.

duckroll

I think the fun of gunpla is in the engineering. Not only is it really cool to see how they design parts which can fit together to create good looking model kits which can pose and have gimmicks, but by building it yourself it also gives the builder the freedom to decide how much better to make the final product depending on how much time you want to invest. Gunpla is certainly not for people who just want a toy to play with, which is why there are commercial options for people looking for those instead. But they're much better for display purposes and sense of satisfaction.

duckroll

That depends entirely on your skill level. A $100 metal build will certainly look better than anything a beginner can put together.

I don't consider a metal build an action figure. It's a pure display model, so of course its better. Even a basic HG kit by a beginner is generally better for posing and displaying than a MSiA, while Fix Figurations are really good for display in the stock pose, they don't really have much posability beyond that. They generally have really neat accessories though.

CorvoSol

I'm a total gunpla scrub. I like the idea of customizeability, even if i never use it. They're like expensive lego sets to me. Putting it together is part of the fun.

Beth Cyra

I'm a total gunpla scrub. I like the idea of customizeability, even if i never use it. They're like expensive lego sets to me. Putting it together is part of the fun.

I'm awful but I just love them coming together.

As everyone here knows, I hate God but I'm so happy that on my shelf I have a God posed with X deploying his canon next to him and Zero rising above them. Having the 90's leads together is so great to me.

CorvoSol

After I get all my gunpla built I'm gonna see if I can't rearrange one of my shelves to look like I have some robot battles going on. I have precious few non-Gundam mecha figures, but still.

Beth Cyra

After I get all my gunpla built I'm gonna see if I can't rearrange one of my shelves to look like I have some robot battles going on. I have precious few non-Gundam mecha figures, but still.

I considered that for a while.

Thing is, when your a fan it kinda losses something when you know something like Getter G or Shin Getter would wipe out every Gundam in existence without ever trying. So I kinda had to dedicate shelves to mecha Types.

CorvoSol

I consider that for a while.

Thing is, when your a fan it kinda losses something when you know something like Getter G or Shin Getter would wipe out every Gundam in existence without ever trying. So I kinda had to dedicate shelves to mecha Types.

I just hum Super Robot Wars rules in my head. Doesn't matter if I upgrade the heck out of Voltron, it's not a star this time around so it has to take 2-3+ turns to kill the popular Gundam whether it likes it or not.

Models vs. figures is a silly argument. They each have their audience and their advantages. I personally prefer figures - my Deep Striker Fix Figuration is a massive behemoth that I'm ridiculously proud of. My limited edition Hong Kong Night Psyco Gundam is beautiful. and my Metal Builds are a joy to behold. <3

CorvoSol

I tend to buy a figure if it doesn't exist in model form, but you're right, both have their advantages. Still, if there WAS a model version of the ARX-8 I'd buy that in a flash.

Ken

How are the MG Unicorn and Banshee? Thinking about buying uh...both. > >

Where is my MG Stark Jegan. An EWAC Jegan would be nice too but they'll probably make it exclusive bandai online dlc.

NEO0MJ

That depends entirely on your skill level. A $100 metal build will certainly look better than anything a beginner can put together.

Yeah, but there's still a lot of fun in the building of a kit.

How are the MG Unicorn and Banshee? Thinking about buying uh...both. > >

Don't know about the Banshee but I think I heard that the original Unicorn ver.ka kit has some problems, mostly because of the transformation gimmick making it fragile and not very stable. Maybe they fixed it with the OVA version, as they made some changes to the mold.

Ken

Yeah, but there's still a lot of fun in the building of a kit.

Don't know about the Banshee but I think I heard that the original Unicorn ver.ka kit has some problems, mostly because of the transformation gimmick making it fragile and not very stable. Maybe they fixed it with the OVA version, as they made some changes to the mold.

Yeah, I'm thinking about buying the OVA version.

NEO0MJ

Did a bit of extra reading it turns out that banshee uses almost the same pieces so if buy the OVA version it wouldn't be much of a problem, just don't expect to pull any crazy poses.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Models vs. figures is a silly argument. They each have their audience and their advantages. I personally prefer figures - my Deep Striker Fix Figuration is a massive behemoth that I'm ridiculously proud of. My limited edition Hong Kong Night Psyco Gundam is beautiful. and my Metal Builds are a joy to behold. <3

Yeah, they are each their own hobby. I could never be a figure collector, but that's because I enjoy the journey of the build and paint. But some folks just don't enjoy that aspect of the hobby and would rather marvel at the end results...More power to them!

Beth Cyra

OVA Version of Unicorn is the exact same aside from two changes.

1. The mold now includes Head Vulcans, as the original in the Novel and Katoki's line art doesn't give Unicorn head Vulcans. A quick side note, this is why I love Unicorn and Wing Gundam Ver Ka. I've always hated Head Vulcans and I love the fact that both of these designs dropped them.

2. There is a an alteration to the legs to give the model a 90 degree leg bend, so it has slightly better articulation. Aside from that they are identical to one another.

As far as quality goes I own MG Unicorn HD Color+ MS Cage, MG Banshee OVA, MG Banshee Final Battle Ver Ka, and MG Full Armor Unicorn Ver ka.

They are all very good models, they are NOT up to the quality of MG Gundam 2.0, but that isn't really a slight against them as even now the majority of Bandai model kits are not. The transformation can be a pain, but it's not nearly as bad as a lot make it out to be, and while it does have some ankle issues it can stand on it's own with only the most minor of time taken to get it there.

Unless you demand amazing articulation I would say that Banshee and Unicorn are well worth it, amazing show pieces and they are even better when you add in something like Jesta or Sinanju next to them.

CorvoSol

I actually have some ideas for some nifty custom Gunpla but not until I'm more adept at making regular ones am I gonna attempt it, I think.

Beth Cyra

I'm waiting for Unicorn and Sinanju 3.0 equivalents. Give emotion manipulators, Bandai.

Why not just buy after market hands that do the exact same thing? Its highly unlikely Sinanju or Unicorn gets 2.0/3.0's for a VERY long time.

You can get Emotion/PG style hands in 1/100 for like 8/10$ a pair.

Why not just buy after market hands that do the exact same thing? Its highly unlikely Sinanju or Unicorn gets 2.0/3.0's for a VERY long time.

You can get Emotion/PG style hands in 1/100 for like 8/10$ a pair.

When importing a kit here costs an arm and two legs you'd kind of want the most perfect kit ever.

CorvoSol

Zeta Gundam 20

So I have to say that I enjoyed this arc a lot the second time around. Kamille does some growing up, Amuro matters in a way that isn't forced, and Four is as good as Tomino writing a messed up woman can expect to be. Especially because Four and Kamille have actual chemistry, and because Four's character is decidedly not determined by her need for dick.

On that note, Beltorchika Irma is the Carlie Cooper of Gundam women and I hate her SO much.

Shameless crosspost to highlight that I'm liking Zeta more the 2nd time around. Still wish Amuro wasn't so worthless in this show. Like, from what I remember this is the last we see of him until CCA. It's a double edged sword, though, because at least he doesn't upstage Kamille, which would've been tragic. <3 Kamille.

Shameless crosspost to highlight that I'm liking Zeta more the 2nd time around. Still wish Amuro wasn't so worthless in this show. Like, from what I remember this is the last we see of him until CCA. It's a double edged sword, though, because at least he doesn't upstage Kamille, which would've been tragic. <3 Kamille.
How much would you fault the english dub for not liking Zeta your first time? Japanese voice actors for Kamille, Amuro and Char are all so good that I can imagine lacking them just killing the show.

CorvoSol

How much would you fault the english dub for not liking Zeta your first time? Japanese voice actors for Kamille, Amuro and Char are all so good that I can imagine lacking them just killing the show.

Kamille, Amuro, and Char were probably not the key problems of the English dub to me. I actually think that English dub Char is a pretty good one.

The real problems would be literally every single other character. I don't even remember English Haman because I probably have blocked her out. I'd say the dub change is still a key factor, but another important part is being able to separate what I hate in the show from what's good in it. IE this time around I know Beltorchika is shit so her bullshit doesn't surprise me and have a larger factor on my opinion of episodes, for instance. Hopefully knowing that Katz, Sarah, Reccoa and to a lesser degree Poptarts suck too will help me to see the good things. The subs also are nice cuz they force me to pay attention to what's said in a way that the terribad dub discouraged.

Nope. He shows up during the Africa part of the show, when
Four dies. As well as when Char gives his Dakar speech. Amuro helps Kamille fend off the Titans. He also has a moment where he tells Char to sacrifice himself

Blader

Kamille, Amuro, and Char were probably not the key problems of the English dub to me. I actually think that English dub Char is a pretty good one.

The real problems would be literally every single other character. I don't even remember English Haman because I probably have blocked her out. I'd say the dub change is still a key factor, but another important part is being able to separate what I hate in the show from what's good in it. IE this time around I know Beltorchika is shit so her bullshit doesn't surprise me and have a larger factor on my opinion of episodes, for instance. Hopefully knowing that Katz, Sarah, Reccoa and to a lesser degree Poptarts suck too will help me to see the good things. The subs also are nice cuz they force me to pay attention to what's said in a way that the terribad dub discouraged.

heh, this is kind of why I like the Zeta movies more than the tv series. Even though they cram way too much into too little time, the fact that there's less time for the characters to be annoying makes the characters less annoying. They also do streamline some of the bullshit (for instance, the whole
Rosamia as Kamille's fake sister
arc at the end).

CorvoSol

Nope. He shows up during the Africa part of the show, when
Four dies. As well as when Char gives his Dakar speech. Amuro helps Kamille fend off the Titans. He also has a moment where he tells Char to sacrifice himself

Ah, must be that I just forgot then, haha. I dunno, on the one hand I wish Amuro had been more important in Zeta, but on the other I'm really glad that he doesn't upstage Kamille.

heh, this is kind of why I like the Zeta movies more than the tv series. Even though they cram way too much into too little time, the fact that there's less time for the characters to be annoying makes the characters less annoying. They also do streamline some of the bullshit (for instance, the whole
Rosamia as Kamille's fake sister
arc at the end).

I just can't accept the movies knowing that they took the extremely dick move of trying to retcon out ZZ.

Beth Cyra

Ah, must be that I just forgot then, haha. I dunno, on the one hand I wish Amuro had been more important in Zeta, but on the other I'm really glad that he doesn't upstage Kamille.

I just can't accept the movies knowing that they took the extremely dick move of trying to retcon out ZZ.

Honestly while it does make ZZ very hard to come about, I firmly believe it has little to do with trying to Retcon ZZ (give the strong link to Unicorn it's clear Bandai didn't try for this) and more had to do with trying to give Zeta a positive ending given what happens to Kamille at the end of the show.

Also if they were going to Retcon a UC show it would Victory given it performed FAR worse then ZZ ever did, and newer Crossbones feature both ZZ and Victory so again, I've always had a problem with fans of Zeta or UC who actually argue that Z New Translation was Bandai/Tomino's way of Retconing ZZ out of existence.

CorvoSol

Honestly while it does make ZZ very hard to come about, I firmly believe it has little to do with trying to Retcon ZZ (give the strong link to Unicorn it's clear Bandai didn't try for this) and more had to do with trying to give Zeta a positive ending given what happens to Kamille at the end of the show.

Also if they were going to Retcon a UC show it would Victory given it performed FAR worse then ZZ ever did, and newer Crossbones feature both ZZ and Victory so again, I've always had a problem with fans of Zeta or UC who actually argue that Z New Translation was Bandai/Tomino's way of Retconing ZZ out of existence.

It's just that it's a bit hard to see how ZZ would play out if
Kamille wasn't out of comission
because the entire reason Bright takes Judau and company on is because
without Kamille, Bright is as desperate as it gets for pilots. That and he realizes that when a stupid teenager steals your mech and wins with it several times, it means something.
Add to that the way SRW and Musou games keep skipping ZZ and I dunno, not hard to feel the show is being undeservedly slighted.

Blader

^Right, the Zeta movies definitely retcon out ZZ, but I think he's saying the intention wasn't to specifically wipe out ZZ from continuity but just give Kamille a different ending.

It's kind of a moot point though since the Zeta movies themselves aren't canon, so ZZ's spot is secure -- which is further reinforced by all the ZZ references in Unicorn.

What is canon in the Gundam universe anyway...between the animated productions that conflict with each other, the AU series, the various novels and manga series...Gundam continuity really just comes down to what you like and don't like. :)

CorvoSol

What is canon in the Gundam universe anyway...between the animated productions that conflict with each other, the AU series, the various novels and manga series...Gundam continuity really just comes down to what you like and don't like. :)

I dunno, I mean, MSG-Z-ZZ all seem like a fairly consistent set of stories. As much flak as I give CCA the events in it didn't seem to directly contradict things that had happened in previous shows.

Anything post CCA, though, sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom