• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made a quick run to the shop this morning to pick up the new kits. Haven't seen the GP base in stock for a long time so finally picked one up.

I'm constantly refreshing two searches on Amazon UK waiting for both of those kits to show up.

I actually plan to buy two Turn As, so I can have one at home and one at work. I love that suit that much!

Beth Cyra

Finally caught a couple All Attack videos on Youtube for SRW Z3, and I got to say they aren't nearly as impressive as I thought they'd be.

Wing Gundam Zero - 1 Cut in, and only the 1 Dynamic Kill. HUGE step back from Wing Gundam Zero TV and the amount of care and love they showed it in Z2. This combined with the complete lack of cut in's for TG III and Deathscythe Hell and EW also getting snubbed for the intro more then ever makes me believe they really didn't want to include it in the roster.

Also, no Rolling Twin Buster Rifle was a complete shock to me. RTB in alot of ways is Banpresto's singnature move for Zero even more so then the bunker shot. Still I will give them props for getting the Double Camera color correct with the Green/Violet instead of the usual screw up of Green/Green.

1+ for having
Zero Reveal be the one cut in

OO Raiser - He was also a step back from OO Raiser in Z2, granted he's not the star of the movie, but the reduction in quality was still surprising.

Nu Gundam - Some really great stuff here. The new All ranged attack is glorious.

Unicorn Gundam/Sinanju - I know some people were actually disappointed with there original showing in GM, but honestly I found them better represented there then here. They are beautiful no doubt, but for this being their big Debut, the amount of attacks and cut in's they get are certainly below what I was hoping for.

Wait, live action patlabor is out? How was it? What was it like tone-wise? Was it more like the tv series or the movies?

Was it good?

Light hearted character driven. They're going to do a bunch of these smaller films and then do a big dramatic action film to wrap it up next year. Movie was a lot of the team sitting around waiting to so something. Patlabor doesn't move until the very end.

Seems like this was the only they could get a livr action TV series made.

Enron

Banned
And it sucks as an action base. Its floppy, the joints are unstable, it can't hold shit up. The whole thing screams EL CHEAPO (much like the GBF HG kits, ah hahaha) and I was left wondering if I actually got a KNOCKOFF.

Save your money and buy an action base instead. the GP Base is seriously not worth it.

Wubby

Meh, it only cost 420 yen. Even if I never use it as a stand I still wanted one for my GBF collection.

If you have to spend absurd amounts to import one to another country I'd agree it's probably not worth it!

Enron

Banned
Meh, it only cost 420 yen. Even if I never use it as a stand I still wanted one for my GBF collection.

If you have to spend absurd amounts to import one to another country I'd agree it's probably not worth it!

I spent like 9 bucks on mine and it's so bad that i'm kinda mad about being out the 9 bucks. normally i give zero fucks about money.

CorvoSol

Finally got to build one of my gunpla today! Built the Spec. Edit. Tallgeese III. On the one hand, it looks rad and I like that you can customize it to be the Tallgeese I or II if you want. On the other hand, I can't say I'm a huge fan of the actual construction for two reasons: 1) the manual doesn't explain this customization until the end and as an old HG set you cannot separate pieces ever after they touch. 2) At some points you're expected to slide one piece between two others to have it lock into place, but it doesn't slide easily and I fear too much pressure would cause the piece to break. Also numerous nubs did not easily line up and required extra guidance.

Still, it LOOKS pretty cool. I'll get some shots tomorrow.

EDIT:

onsVgF0.jpg

CjUrMJA.jpg

cfJSm4j.jpg

ulaJ0j3.jpg

CorvoSol

Jesus H Christ Corvo, clean your room

So my 93 year old grandfather had a stroke last November and my mother's side of the family moved him into a home and sold his estate, dividing his possessions among his children. Because I only spend 4-5 months a year at my parent's house, my room is now storage for things we inherited.

So, while my room DOES look like a hoarder's trove at the moment, the vast majority of it isn't mine, haha.

Beth Cyra

Finally got to build one of my gunpla today! Built the Spec. Edit. Tallgeese III. On the one hand, it looks rad and I like that you can customize it to be the Tallgeese I or II if you want. On the other hand, I can't say I'm a huge fan of the actual construction for two reasons: 1) the manual doesn't explain this customization until the end and as an old HG set you cannot separate pieces ever after they touch. 2) At some points you're expected to slide one piece between two others to have it lock into place, but it doesn't slide easily and I fear too much pressure would cause the piece to break. Also numerous nubs did not easily line up and required extra guidance.

Still, it LOOKS pretty cool. I'll get some shots tomorrow.

EDIT:
Haha yes, early HGs. You think that's bad, that is back in the day when they would give you entire separate chests (Wing Gundam Zero EW HG is one actually) to be able to do certain posses because the articulation was so limited.

Still TG III SE looks aces aside from his Heat Whip, it's sad that normal version has no color at all.

CorvoSol

Oh yeah, the multisegmented chest was a little weird. I'm interested in seeing how the Nobell and God are going to work out. Especially since the Nobell apparently has some special hip joints or something to allow for some pose thing.

I wish my camera could take better pictures, though, to really show off the set. Cuz it looks pretty cool.

Beth Cyra

Oh yeah, the multisegmented chest was a little weird. I'm interested in seeing how the Nobell and God are going to work out. Especially since the Nobell apparently has some special hip joints or something to allow for some pose thing.

I wish my camera could take better pictures, though, to really show off the set. Cuz it looks pretty cool.

God and Nobell are out of this world compared to the EW HG's. Still God and Shining can be a bit sticker heavy for some people, but overall pretty much todays standard.

Beth Cyra

Are the goatees stickers or not? Because that's a big deal to me.

No, the chin on God is red, and of course, as is Shining's.

Even back then they did pretty good, and lately they've done an excellent job keeping the chins and jewels properly colored plastic. The only one I can think of as a failure is DX.

How do we get that case? Is it part of the LE for the last vol? Or a box set coming out?

Sounds like it is sold separately at the theatrical showings in Japan.

Speaking of the theatrical release, I snapped these at the Shinjuku Picadilly theatre before seeing Patlabor.

iANv1i2l.jpg
LVpFIKdl.jpg

Too bad we won't get any sort of theatrical release for this over here...

CorvoSol

Finished my HG God Gundam. WOW. That kit is so much better than every Gunpla I've ever put together it's amazing. It's way more articulate, far more complicated, and while it took me twice the time to build it was also much easier to put together. The two EW spec edit's I've built and the six wing kits I had as a kid were all waaay less, I dunno, good, than this? It's amazing how different the kits are, hahaha.

duckroll

Corvol seems to be going to through the history of gunpla. It's pretty fun to read his impressions of the kits getting better. Lol. Can't wait to hear about him building a modern HGUC kit. Or maybe even a RG kit! :D

CorvoSol

Well those 1/144 wing kits are pretty ancient. Modern HG kits are pretty nice. Going to build the Fenice next?

Dude the HG Wing kits are from 1998, haha. The God Gundam is from 2010. But I'll probably build the Universe Booster or Nobell Gundam today.

Corvol seems to be going to through the history of gunpla. It's pretty fun to read his impressions of the kits getting better. Lol. Can't wait to hear about him building a modern HGUC kit. Or maybe even a RG kit! :D

So currently it looks like my building plan goes: HGFC Nobell-> HGBF Fenice-> HGBF Star Build-> HGUC Zeta-> HGUC ZZ-> ARX-8 Laevatein.

CorvoSol

Today I finished the Nobel Gundam! Image dump ensues:

uMYQUmG.jpg
LmKJ86f.jpg

The Bridal pose is really, really hard to do.
Partially because I insisted upon using one of the Shining Finger hands to do it, but also because the God Gundam's arms can't really support the weight of another Gunpla. Originally I tried to do the pose with Nobel still wielding one of its Beam Ribbons, but you may notice that the left arm kinda blocks the God Gundam's face altogether anyway, even without the Beam Ribbons.

rQULVYl.jpg
QKdUJ7a.jpg

I didn't really bother with the nifty hip joints.
I mean, the poseable hips are interesting, but they also kind of compromise the Nobel's balance, especially because, like all Gundams, she's too back heavy. This time instead of boosters, though, it's just her hair, and unfortunately, where the Wing Zero Custom's wings are big enough and long enough to touch the ground and support it, the Nobel's hair really isn't. The Beam Ribbons are actually just ribbons, and you insert them into the saber handles by folding the end and just kinda tucking it in. It's a bit precarious, and they're sorta awkward to store, but on the other hand, they look pretty darn cool. Also I enjoyed that the Nobel came with FAR fewer decals than any other Gunpla I've built so far (and I'm appreciative that both Nobel and God have come without goatee stickers!), but I did enjoy applying the little garter decal. Mostly because it was a straight line around a wide piece. Unfortunately some moron decided to make that piece connected to the sheet at the part where the decal goes, so it was sorta bumpy in spite of my best efforts.

NcWplmx.jpg
UgGjmLX.jpg

I forgot to snap a shot of the Core Lander separate from the mech.

But I really like those Burning Finger hands. I've removed one from the God and will probably stick it on the Star Build Strike to emulate a Build Knuckle.

I ordered two Turn As over the weekend. No sign of Crossbone Gundam Maoh yet on Amazon though.

Also ordered a Zaku I and Nobel Gundam because I had a bad week last week and deserve them :)

duckroll

When is the expected BD release of Unicorn ep7 since it's doing theatrical first? 6 months later, so November-ish?

The entire series has always been released first via theatrical events. They're not really movies, they're like, fan screenings on limited days where they sell merchandise and the early limited releases of the BDs outside the screening hall. They did the same thing for Yamato 2199. So basically the most hardcore fans get the BDs on the same day as it opens (they go to the screening, then they buy the BD there). For regular people the BD usually hits retail a month after that.

muteki

I have been trying to find a recent reference of ep7 runtime.

Part of the "ep7 isn't coming until forever" announcement was "but it will be twice as long!" so its a bummer if it isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom