• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beth Cyra

So I'm thinking I might want to mod the ZZ when I get it. I think it'd look nice with a pair of verniers similar to what the Tallgeese line sport instead of its turtle shell backpack, but I'm not sure if I have anything like that around. I'll have to check my spare bits.

A kit you may want keep in mind would be the G Bouncer. It's thruster packs are very similar to TG's and the more narrow and sharp design would probably look good on the ZZ.

Still I wonder how much that will fill out the ZZ back, he is a pretty large guy so anything you put pack there might come across as pretty small, even more so given he is a 20 meter suit.

CorvoSol

A kit you may want keep in mind would be the G Bouncer. It's thruster packs are very similar to TG's and the more narrow and sharp design would probably look good on the ZZ.

Still I wonder how much that will fill out the ZZ back, he is a pretty large guy so anything you put pack there might come across as pretty small, even more so given he is a 20 meter suit.

Well I think the suit would look better with smaller thrusters, but by smaller I only mean "smaller than that absurdly large backpack". The Extra Fit ZZ I saw looked interesting because it decreased the backpack into justly that, but I wasn't a fan of the rest of the design. I think giving it wings like the WZTV would be too large, but Vernier thrusters like the TG series would work and the color scheme wouldn't be wildly different, either.

The G Bouncer's thrusters do look like a happy middle in terms of length, but they seem fairly squareish and almost, I dunno, too stylized to be on the back of a UC Gundam.

Thought I'd post my impressions here as well, as I'm slowly but steadily trying to get more into Gundam.

Gundam Build Fighters - 1

Yup. This is gonna be it. This is going to be the show that I may just enjoy more than TTGL if it plays its cards right. I can feel it in my bones. Like, I was stunned about everything in this episode.

-Sei is adorably nerdy with his Gundams.
-Reiji is a freaking awesome bro.
-These fights have so much spirit and energy put into them. And they're just children toys duking it out in virtual reality!
-Oh lord, that Ral dude's face. I'm gonna like this guy.
-Dat uplifting ED theme.

This is the best first episode of an anime that I've seen in a looooong time. Like, I had no questions and no long, drawn-out boring backstory thrown at me. Just fun.

mingus

These are what I used when I first did gunpla like 15 years ago, but they do leave you with REALLY heavy panel lines.

If i were you, id just panel line with a wash. Actually easier than using a marker. Lots of how-to's on blogs and youtube.

Now that you mention it, pen lining is what I did when I last assembled one 4 years ago. I've never done anything extra beyond top-coating but lining with wash is one of the techniques I'm looking forward to trying when I start building again.

CorvoSol

It's been about 3 weeks since my Zeta Gundam shipped, so I assume it should be getting here any day this week. At least, I hope it does.

NEO0MJ

A friend of mine pointed out that this year marks the 20th Anniversary of Mobile Fighter G Gundam!

One of the finest Gundam shows. It was such a nice change of direction for the series and introduced some of the best mobile suit designs in the history of Gundam.

13993356363_5e22db6132_o.jpg

Bandai needs to remaster the old MG kits and release more MG kits of the main mobile suits.

PhiLonius

Finished rewatching 00. S1, S2, and Awakening of the Trailblazer.

A couple quick points because I don't feel like going too much into it.

- The design of a lot of the suits have grown on me. For the four starter Gundams, I always appreciated their design from a usage aspect (each being built for a specialty) but not the actual look of the suits themselves. That's definitely changed this time around, along with the Flag as well. The Exia also has one of my favorite intros. It's up there with the Strike for sure.

- I actually like the start this show had. It seemed to have some sense of direction/focus but then it all began to go to shit when the Trinity siblings showed up. This is part of another problem the show has in that...

- There are a lot of characters in this show, maybe too many, taking screen time away from other characters and proper exposition. They could have cut a handful of these out of the show and it wouldn't have even mattered. Instead they do things like
kill LockOn, only to replace him with what is literally another LockOn

- Ribbons Almark. Regene Regetta. Revive Revival. Hilling Care. Bring Stabity. Even by normal anime standards those names a pretty far out there.

- The Mr. Bushido character is like that episode of Cowboy Bebop with the guy who really thought he was a cowboy, except while that was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, here they are serious and it just doesn't work. But I guess you need a guy to fill the mask quota.

- Awakening of the Trailblazer.......flowers.

Hnnnng. That does it. After I finish my current bout of shows it's time for a dang G Gundam rewatch.

I'm in.

Hnnnng. That does it. After I finish my current bout of shows it's time for a dang G Gundam rewatch.

I'm tempted to. First time I rewatched it I showed a few people I knew the entire series which end up going really well with Episode 45 in perticular going down a treat. Not sure how I'd rewatch it this time. Maybe the dub instead of the sub to mix things up?

CorvoSol

I'm tempted to. First time I rewatched it I showed a few people I knew the entire series which end up going really well with Episode 45 in perticular going down a treat. Not sure how I'd rewatch it this time. Maybe the dub instead of the sub to mix things up?

The dub's not so bad, I think. The first time I saw it, it was the dub. I have a ton of shows to finish up before I can get to it, but I've been thinking I need to rewatch G Gundam for awhile.

Ezalc

A friend of mine pointed out that this year marks the 20th Anniversary of Mobile Fighter G Gundam!

THE BEST GUNDAM. Awesome pic btw I didn't have that one *right click, save*

Spiegel always in my heart.

Still hoping for a sequel season with the new Gundams the Shuffle Alliance gets or a prequel one with the old Shuffle Alliance and Master Asia as King of Hearts.

EDIT: Also I saw that Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn is apparently getting localized. Is that the one people said was awful?

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Gundam Reconquista looks as if it's drawn by someone from BONES who was heavily involved in Eureka Seven and Xam'd. I think I'm painting myself to look like an idiot by stating the obvious

Beth Cyra

THE BEST GUNDAM. Awesome pic btw I didn't have that one *right click, save*

Spiegel always in my heart.

Still hoping for a sequel season with the new Gundams the Shuffle Alliance gets or a prequel one with the old Shuffle Alliance and Master Asia as King of Hearts.

EDIT: Also I saw that Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn is apparently getting localized. Is that the one people said was awful?

It was confirmed along time ago that DWG4 would be coming over.

Still it's good to see them confirm again. It's sad that Vita version is staying in Japan.

Just saw that Exia Amazing and Fenice R finally got announced for HGBF. Honestly given my dislike of Exia I will easily skip him, and given Fenice R doesn't do a god damn thing but pose I will probably skip him as well.

Air Master HGAW got announced. Honestly I'm shocked that Air Master was choosen, I was thinking we wouldn't see anything from X again for a while unless it was a G Bit or an Online! Recolor of the X. Though G Gundam fans should be happy, if they are really going to go down the X Line, then it's almost assured we will see the Shuffle Alliance at some point in HGFC.

Aizo

Banned
Gundam Reconquista looks as if it's drawn by someone from BONES who was heavily involved in Eureka Seven and Xam'd. I think I'm painting myself to look like an idiot by stating the obvious

I personally dislike those designs. I was disappointed with the first video that showed a bunch of characters.

Allonym

It's by the same person, yes.

Ahh, cool thanks. Was hoping for a more realistic/gritty portrayal of the universe directly following the UC era. Hopefully it builds off of the climax of Unicorn, since other series being animated prior to it but set after its events don't make mention of the the charter that allows spacenoids to self govern. Also please Jesus, let them be done with the newtype crap. Lets just have skilled pilots who've honed their skills through years of battles and no children who just step into a cockpit and kill aces. If there just so happens to be newtypes please allow them to be defeatable, much like Carris Nautilis and Jamile/Garrod in G:DX. These are my wishes and no more kids being manipulated by adults. Thematically that has been exhausted.

Beth Cyra

Ahh, cool thanks. Was hoping for a more realistic/gritty portrayal of the universe directly following the UC era. Hopefully it builds off of the climax of Unicorn, since other series being animated prior to it but set after its events don't make mention of the the charter that allows spacenoids to self govern. Also please Jesus, let them be done with the newtype crap. Lets just have skilled pilots who've honed their skills through years of battles and no children who just step into a cockpit and kill aces. If there just so happens to be aces please allow them to be defeatable, much like Carris Nautilis and Jamile/Garrod in G:DX. These are my wishes and no more kids being manipulated by adults. Thematically that has been exhausted.

This is VERY VERY Unlikely. Tomino has already talked about G R, and it's a show directly aimed at a younger audience and is not meant to be for those who love the darker UC or Unicorn series.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of transhumanism in G Reko. Not sure if it will be newtypes, but it might be something.

Personally, I'm rather fond of it thematically. Not sure there is anything else to say there that hasn't been said in every other Universal Century show, but Unicorn has done a good job of using the concept.

BTW, your point on Jamil is lost. He was a Newtype.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Been thundering through Gundam these past few days. I'm halfway through Zeta now, and I've got to say I'm enjoying this considerably more than the original series and SEED.

There are still a lot of random transgressions the characters experience, but overall the characters and relationships feel a bit realer.

Kind of want a Rick Dias model now, but it seems the articulation is a bit shit on all versions because of how bulky the legs are.

Beth Cyra

But is it good?

Almost everyone that I've talked to says it's a significant step back from both DWG 2/3.

Also despite their hyping of Ultimate mode before release, it actually has the single worst one in the franchise and comes no where near 1, let alone finally topping it. No CG for the Ulimate mode, almost no new suits from the majority of the series (G has 0, Wing has 0, EW gets 1, X gets 0) and they added even more grinding elements.

If you REALLY Love SEED/Destiny then it's a no brainer because they just jammed the game full of SEED/Destiny material. The game also features some Unicorn bits for Official mode so you again that could be a push for some people.

Allonym

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of transhumanism in G Reko. Not sure if it will be newtypes, but it might be something.

Personally, I'm rather fond of it thematically. Not sure there is anything else to say there that hasn't been said in every other Universal Century show, but Unicorn has done a good job of using the concept.

Rewatch GDX when Jamile shot down Carris funnels, he didn't use his newtype abilities as Tiffa said. He did it with sheer skill, not an instant win button. That's what I was saying, if you're going to have newtypes allow them to be defeatable by regular pilots who have trained or in Jamiles's case other newtypes who aren't actively using their powers. I hate the pedestal newtypes are placed on. Also the child being used angle has been overly used, it's tired. Original Gundam had it, Z Gundam had it, Unicorn had it, Gundam the Origin has it (I guess that's to be expected), I think F91 and CCA did too if I remember correctly and I wouldn't be surprised if Turn A, V and ZZ also had it. I mean that just screams that you have nowhere else to take the series imo if you're constantly reusing the same old stuff.

I think there are directions the series could go that would be more novel and wouldn't be rehashes of stuff we've seen in prior series.

Allonym

Watch some Ryosuke Takahashi shows bruh, it doesn't sound like Gundam is for you.

Is this directed at me? I've been watching Gundam since I was like 8. I know it's "for me", I'm just not the biggest fan of the newtype stuff, I know that might upset some people who are fanatical in their love of the UC timeline. I've always enjoyed Gundam more when it was just 2 great or regular pilots pitted against one another. But I know it's a staple of the franchise and isn't going anywhere so I just deal with it.

Concerning Ryosuke Takahashi, I love Blue Gender. That's pretty great and I've been meaning to watch Votoms for quite a while now

CorvoSol

Newtypes are good exactly twice: In Mobile Suit Gundam, and in Gundam Crossbone. MSG actually indulged in the craziness without having people line up to talk about how slightly talented teens MUST DEFINITELY BE NEWTYPES, and Crossbone had Tobia decide that Newtypeism was a load of bullshit and prove it to the world by beating the shit out of the badguys without it.

Which is but one of many reasons why Tobia Arronax is awesome.

Ezalc

Almost everyone that I've talked to says it's a significant step back from both DWG 2/3.

Also despite their hyping of Ultimate mode before release, it actually has the single worst one in the franchise and comes no where near 1, let alone finally topping it. No CG for the Ulimate mode, almost no new suits from the majority of the series (G has 0, Wing has 0, EW gets 1, X gets 0) and they added even more grinding elements.

If you REALLY Love SEED/Destiny then it's a no brainer because they just jammed the game full of SEED/Destiny material. The game also features some Unicorn bits for Official mode so you again that could be a push for some people.

So best DW Gundam is 2 or 3 then.

FD-03 Gustav Karl confirmed in Unicorn Ep. 7.

Hathaway's Flash incoming

Also, the Zeta Plus from Sentinel is in, but an OVA of that is not happening ever.

Wubby

Also HGBF Exia Amazing and Fenice Rinascita coming out. :eek:

A surprise to no one I'm sure!

Also a weapon set to make a Gyan Cannon:

And Gouf R35 with it's new tool is looking good!

A number of new things on GG today:

-HGUC 1/144 AMX-101E Schuzrum Galluss
-HGAW 1/144 GW-9800 Gundam Airmaster
-HGUC 1/144 Zeta Plus A1 (Unicorn Ver.)

Premium Bandai exclusives:
-HGUC 1/144 Asshimar (Green Diver Ver.)
-HGFC 1/144 God Gundam Vs. Master Gundam Super Mode Set
-MG 1/100 MS-07B Gouf (M'Quve Use)

NEO0MJ

I was hoping Gyan Canon would be a new mold :(

But wow, I did not expect to see an HG Airmaster. Wonder if this means there's hope for a Virsago kit in the future.

Beth Cyra

Given they forced Banshee Norn and RG Exia R2 on to the Online! I can't say I'm shocked at God/Master Hyper forms being exclusive to it.

Still though it's quite sad that they would force these two into it. Still MC suit recolors on there gives me hope that one day I will get a Gundam Lucifer.

Edit: Damn I just found out the Release dates for Fenice R and Exia, honestly I'm surprised that Exia is releasing first (though Wing does seem to love Sept/October releases) and just how far out they are.

Blader

FD-03 Gustav Karl confirmed in Unicorn Ep. 7.

Hathaway's Flash incoming

Also, the Zeta Plus from Sentinel is in, but an OVA of that is not happening ever.

whoa, nice. Zeta Plus seems redundant though with the Rezel around (plus that ReGZ they stuck on Bright's ship for some reason).

Give me animated Xi Gundam!

Ahh, cool thanks. Was hoping for a more realistic/gritty portrayal of the universe directly following the UC era. Hopefully it builds off of the climax of Unicorn, since other series being animated prior to it but set after its events don't make mention of the the charter that allows spacenoids to self govern.

Don't count on that anytime soon (or ever). It took 20 years for Unicorn to come along and build off Char's Counterattack.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Do I need to watch ZZ to watch Unicorn? Just finished Zeta, I really, really enjoyed it. Plan to watch at least Char's Counterattack before I jump into Unicorn
but I don't really feel like watching another nearly 50 episode series D;

CorvoSol

Do I need to watch ZZ to watch Unicorn? Just finished Zeta, I really, really enjoyed it. Plan to watch at least Char's Counterattack before I jump into Unicorn
but I don't really feel like watching another nearly 50 episode series D;

Characters from ZZ appear in Unicorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom