• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enron

Banned
One day GundamGAF will ask "What happened to Enron?", and duckroll will be standing in a corner whistling.

s'ok I got this dude on speedial.

LBy9s8P.jpg

That's true.

Frankly, I don't like the concept of "having to deal with" 0079-CCA just to enjoy Unicorn. Watching those shows should be a reward in of themselves, with Unicorn not being a goal, but rather another thing to enjoy.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Just knowing what happens in those series is really all that is required to watch Unicorn honestly.

Exactly

I wouldn't really watch anything in prep to watch something else

Just watch the show you're interested in. Otherwise you'll just burn yourself out

That's true.

Frankly, I don't like the concept of "having to deal with" 0079-CCA just to enjoy Unicorn. Watching those shows should be a reward in of themselves, with Unicorn not being a goal, but rather another thing to enjoy.

Yeah exactly. No need to rush just to be on the bandwagon

That's true.

But that's how people have grown to consume media today. Large chunks of decades old media is easily accessible at a moments notice. So now you can watch a franchise in its entirety as it spans over several decades. Hell you can take that Giant Robot anime report and watch all the media that is mentioned there as it traces the rise and fall of the genre.

However in general I agree. If you want to watch Gundam UC, watch Gundam UC. You can always watch it again later and re-evaluate your opinion after you experienced more of the gundam franchise.

Yeah exactly. No need to rush just to be on the bandwagon

Or maybe I don't agree, jump on the bandwagon if you want or don't.

Blader

Neither is CCA, for that matter, really.

CCA is most definitely required viewing, but I'd limit it to just that and 0079.

Zeta and ZZ help inform Unicorn, insofar as some characters and plot points from those shows are revisited, but it's not as if those things just get dropped in the middle of the series without explanation. You'll enjoy it more if you already know about those things ahead of time, but anything important gets explained along the way.

CorvoSol

CCA is most definitely required viewing, but I'd limit it to just that and 0079.

Zeta and ZZ help inform Unicorn, insofar as some characters and plot points from those shows are revisited, but it's not as if those things just get dropped in the middle of the series without explanation. You'll enjoy it more if you already know about those things ahead of time, but anything important gets explained along the way.

CCA is definitely not any more required going into Unicorn than ZZ. Especially since CCA is the one that drops you in the middle of all its business. If you're going to skip ZZ, might as well save yourself from CCA. If you're going to be lost on the aspects of ZZ that crop up again, it's not going to hurt you anymore to be lost on the aspects of CCA that crop up, too.

Anyway, here's my HGUC Zeta Gundam:

The build was surprisingly straightforward, and devoid of numerous little annoying bits from other sets that caused me great concern. In fact, aside from attaching the chestplate and somehow getting a defective part for the Hi Mega Launcher that only installed upside down, there were no moments of frustration in this build, which was incredibly appreciated. It shows how impractical the Wave Rider really is that there are parts which are only used in assembling it, and assembling it is a process far more complicated than seen in the show. In spite of that, the Zeta is actually the most practical Gundam I've built so far in some ways. It has its neat fins, but the rest of it is fairly reserved in design, and while it sports big ol' Mega Man X boots, its also hands down the most stable Gundam I've built. The fins on its back actually don't threaten its stability at all! The Beam saber pictured here is actually from the God Gundam, though, because the Zeta only came with one beam saber, and that already attached to a hand part and also completely white. Since I have like, five leftover beamsabers, though, that's not a huge problem.

I really enjoyed building this. It's a shame it'll be a month before I can even build the ZZ and finish my collection for the time being. Still, I think the Zeta might be my favorite, even though it is far and away the least flashy thing on the shelf. The Fenice has that beam cape, the Star Build has wingdings coming out of every which part, the God and Nobel are posed in the bridal hold and the Wing Zero and Tallgeese are both clearparts. I guess my older Gundam models are more reserved (or beat up), but the Strike Freedom has its garish goldparts to make it stand out compared to the Zeta.

CorvoSol

Corvo, is their any reason you're sticking to High Grades rather than Masters?

High Grades are cheaper, and 1/144 scale keeps all of my models in scale with one another. I bought a 1/60 ARX-8 recently, though, so if it winds up closer in size to the 1/100 series Gundams instead of the 1/144 I may branch out. But for now its simply a matter of uniformity and price.

Nice job improvising on the Zeta's beam saber. It's the only part of the kit that I don't like. your reason for sticking with HGs is the same reason I do as well. I like the uniformity in scale, the price isn't bad (though some HGs are almost MG priced) and also, I like the variety. If there were so many grunt suits available in MG form, I'd go with that but they don't.

And I strongly disagree with you about CCA not being necessary to understand Unicorn. Unicorn deals directly with the geopolitics after CCA. The power vacuum caused by the disappearance of Char, psychoframe and axis shock. There are just too many references to the movie that it would be insanely difficult to understand without watching it

Blader

CCA is definitely not any more required going into Unicorn than ZZ. Especially since CCA is the one that drops you in the middle of all its business. If you're going to skip ZZ, might as well save yourself from CCA. If you're going to be lost on the aspects of ZZ that crop up again, it's not going to hurt you anymore to be lost on the aspects of CCA that crop up, too.

The only ZZ aspects that pop up are Marida and Audrey's backstories (the latter of which I don't think has ever really touched on ZZ's doppelganger switch anyway). But the whole worldview in Unicorn is built off of what's established in CCA. Hell our entire lead villain is rooted in Char's actions
and death
in that movie and wouldn't exist otherwise.

The aspects of CCA that crop up are more frequent and more important to the story than anything that returns from ZZ. You not liking the movie doesn't change that. :p

CorvoSol

The only ZZ aspects that pop up are Marida and Audrey's backstories (the latter of which I don't think has ever really touched on ZZ's doppelganger switch anyway). But the whole worldview in Unicorn is built off of what's established in CCA. Hell our entire lead villain is rooted in Char's actions
and death
in that movie and wouldn't exist otherwise.

The aspects of CCA that crop up are more frequent and more important to the story than anything that returns from ZZ. You not liking the movie doesn't change that. :p

It has nothing to do with what I think of that piece of shit movie. If you've seen Zeta you've seen enough of Post OYW UC to not need to see CCA. Hell, if anything, skipping it makes things easier because now instead of wondering how the fuck Char is back and back evil and why nobody is pointing this out, Unicorn DOES point it out. Rather than Char disappearing, coming back, then coming back again
OR NOT

CCA isn't more necessary than ZZ because what it brings to Unicorn is no more and no less than what ZZ does. The entire world view? Whatever, man. Neither ZZ nor CCA bring more to the world of UC than Zeta already has in that sense. Its still just colonies wanting their freedom. ta fucking da.

It's not about how I think that CCA is a horrible piece of shit film that makes no fucking sense. It's about the fact that you don't miss any more skipping CCA than you do skipping ZZ. But whatever. Enjoy your shitty movie and skip a great series. I don't give a shit, and I'm not going to waste a page arguing this any further.

Nice job improvising on the Zeta's beam saber. It's the only part of the kit that I don't like. your reason for sticking with HGs is the same reason I do as well. I like the uniformity in scale, the price isn't bad (though some HGs are almost MG priced) and also, I like the variety. If there were so many grunt suits available in MG form, I'd go with that but they don't.

And I strongly disagree with you about CCA not being necessary to understand Unicorn. Unicorn deals directly with the geopolitics after CCA. The power vacuum caused by the disappearance of Char, psychoframe and axis shock. There are just too many references to the movie that it would be insanely difficult to understand without watching it

1. I really don't like the beam saber that came with it at all. Mostly because I don't paint, so its pretty much useless to me.

2. My point is that if you're going to skip ZZ you're going to miss a bunch of stuff anyway, so there's no harm in skipping CCA. If you're going to be confused by the aspects of the one, why bother informing yourself with the aspects of the other. ZZ's story elements figure in, too. This is a timeline, and things are meant to follow a sequence. And ZZ isn't like 08th MS Team or Stardust Memory. It's a full part of the UC storyline. If you're going to skip it, you're going to be confused, so what extra, additional harm does it do to skip something else? The sudden disappearance of Haman Khan and Axis, the transition of that power to Char and his successors, the complete lack of an explanation as to what happens to Kamille after Zeta's ending. If you're just going to skip all of that, it really doesn't matter what happens in CCA, either. All you need to know is what you learned in Zeta: that the colonies are still at odds with the Earth. The rest you can muddle your way through. That's what I'm saying.

CorvoSol

Ah, yes. Point well taken. I don't disagree with you then

I think I ought better to restate my point as: "after seeing one post MSG UC show, if you plan on skipping another you may as well skip 'em all." Which brings me closer in line to what Blader said earlier about only needing to see 0079 and CCA.

I'd really rather rewatch the lot of them, though. I'm enjoying Zeta much more this second time through.

Blader

I don't think ZZ is unimportant (and neither does Unicorn's author for that matter), but what happens to Judau and his friends or the war between the Gundam Team and Haman doesn't really matter to Unicorn. Some smaller things, like a Ple clone here and a few MS designs there, carry over. But as far as larger plot points go, CCA informs a lot of what's happening in Unicorn, both directly and in the background.

I mean yeah, you can boil it down to just "colonies want freedom from earth" but then shit, why bother watching anything then? Just drop in wherever you want. But if you're concerned about which story sets up Unicorn more, it's easily CCA.

frye

The main difference between ZZ and CCA in terms of "should I watch this to watch this other thing?", of course, is one is a 50 episode series and the other a movie.

Beth Cyra

I don't think ZZ is unimportant (and neither does Unicorn's author for that matter), but what happens to Judau and his friends or the war between the Gundam Team and Haman doesn't really matter to Unicorn. Some smaller things, like a Ple clone here and a few MS designs there, carry over. But as far as larger plot points go, CCA informs a lot of what's happening in Unicorn, both directly and in the background.

I mean yeah, you can boil it down to just "colonies want freedom from earth" but then shit, why bother watching anything then? Just drop in wherever you want. But if you're concerned about which story sets up Unicorn more, it's easily CCA.

The thing is, I believe that ZZ is extremely important to CCA which makes it important to Unicorn.

Haman is such a key player, that CCA's throw away line is a disservice to the character and you really need to watch ZZ to get an understanding of why things are the way they are in CCA.

Blader

The thing is, I believe that ZZ is extremely important to CCA which makes it important to Unicorn.

Haman is such a key player, that CCA's throw away line is a disservice to the character and you really need to watch ZZ to get an understanding of why things are the way they are in CCA.

Oh I agree, and in the 0079 --> Unicorn timeline, nothing is really expendable (aside from the other OVAs); they're all parts in one giant story, and one informs the next. But if you had to choose between watching just ZZ or just CCA before Unicorn, I'd say CCA is the obvious choice because: a) it's far shorter, and b) it more immediately sets up Unicorn.

CorvoSol

YOU GUYS.

I found model paint in the garage! I have an ANCIENT ZZ Gundam model. Time to learn how to paint a Gunpla!

(Does Acrylic Paint go bad after 15 years?)

CorvoSol

Well I attempted to paint my ancient ZZ. I learned an important lesson: a painter I am not.

The paint job is almost as bad as you guys make the show out to be, haha. Anyway, keep in mind that this set was floating around my room for a DECADE and that anything that isn't blue or blue-white is what I painted. Not that such a sloppy paintjob should be hard to miss. I'll take more pictures tomorrow when it is dry.

Enron

Banned
Well I attempted to paint my ancient ZZ. I learned an important lesson: a painter I am not.

The paint job is almost as bad as you guys make the show out to be, haha. Anyway, keep in mind that this set was floating around my room for a DECADE and that anything that isn't blue or blue-white is what I painted. Not that such a sloppy paintjob should be hard to miss. I'll take more pictures tomorrow when it is dry.

That's because you are doing it all wrong. You cant just grab a kit and lay down paint on it on top of bare plastic like that. The best way to paint is with the kit in pieces, either individual or major assembly groups. Gotta prime that shit first, then thin out some paint and brush it on, airbrush it on, or grab a spray can and mask what you dont want colored. If you are hand brushing, you'll need several coats.

CorvoSol

That's because you are doing it all wrong. You cant just grab a kit and lay down paint on it on top of bare plastic like that. The best way to paint is with the kit in pieces, either individual or major assembly groups. Gotta prime that shit first, then thin out some paint and brush it on, airbrush it on, or grab a spray can and mask what you dont want colored. If you are hand brushing, you'll need several coats.

Haha, I know I'm supposed to do it that way, but I built this silly thing ages ago and for some reason super glued it together when I did. It was just sitting in limbo on my shelf looking weird in its two color pattern so I figured I'd test the quality of my paints on it. 'Cuz I don't care if this one looks like shit.

I've been thinking about coloring an old kit I bought, but all these steps just make me want to say "to hell with this", scribble over the pieces with some Gundam markers and toss the model onto a shelf.

CorvoSol

I've been thinking about coloring an old kit I bought, but all these steps just make me want to say "to hell with this", scribble over the pieces with some Gundam markers and toss the model onto a shelf.

Frankly I considered more than once whether or not using markers would be the wiser step here, haha.

Zeta Gundam 23

So I think that seeing it in Japanese is part of the reason I am definitely enjoying Zeta Gundam more this time around. The other reason is now I know ahead of time what parts I'm not going to like and I can kinda cut those parts off from pissing me off. The thing with Zeta is that it does an impressive job at building an interesting sci fi world and then populating it with characters who are rarely good. I don't exactly mean to spit on Zeta in particular for this, but I'd say that compared to its predecessor Zeta's cast has two problems: first, its much larger, which leads to the second: that Zeta's cast is far less developed or rounded out or whatever than Mobile Suit Gundam's. MSG had like, ten main characters at any given time, so it was easier to focus on their feelings and personalities, where Zeta tries and just simply does not have enough time for everyone. There's a scene at the end of this episode where Kamille comforts Fa after the battle's shaken her up, but it feels oddly empty, even though they went and showed Fa freaking out during the battle. I can't decide if the reason it feels this way is because its poorly executed, or simply because it feels slightly by the books. At the same time, however, there's an oddly endearing scene where Emma hands Torres a package, causing him to be excited, only to tell him it is from Kamille, which pulls the rug out from under him until he realizes what it is. It's brief, ultimately meaningless, but surprisingly genuine.

In any case, definitely enjoying Zeta a whole lot more this second time through. Decided in this episode that I kinda like the Methuss, even if it is a weird banana mobile suit.

duckroll

0kNAGJ9.jpg

Ooooh yeah baby!

http://www.gundam.info/topic/10650

I hope this arrives in stores here by the weekend!!!!!!

So, the most popular choices for the next Gundam 00 RG seem to be Gundam Virtue followed by Gundam Dynames. I wonder if Bandai will actually follow through and release one (or both?) of them. It'll be an interesting choice since neither have had a MG release, and the 1/100 versions out now are pretty crappy non-scale versions.

Virtue will probably be the biggest upgrade since I would expect a RG version to include the Gundam Nadleeh gimmick which the 1/100 has, except in RG build quality. That could be a pretty appealing release for 00 fans, maybe even more so than the Exia.

SkyOdin

I've still only watched the first three episodes of Gundam Unicorn. Those Blu-Rays are just so darn expensive. I need to rewatch them though, now that I've finally finished ZZ Gundam this week.

Seriously, ZZ Gundam needs more love. It is a solid Gundam series, but always seems to be overshadowed. It isn't perfect, but neither are 0079 or Zeta.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

So, the most popular choices for the next Gundam 00 RG seem to be Gundam Virtue followed by Gundam Dynames. I wonder if Bandai will actually follow through and release one (or both?) of them. It'll be an interesting choice since neither have had a MG release, and the 1/100 versions out now are pretty crappy non-scale versions.

Virtue will probably be the biggest upgrade since I would expect a RG version to include the Gundam Nadleeh gimmick which the 1/100 has, except in RG build quality. That could be a pretty appealing release for 00 fans, maybe even more so than the Exia.

Both renders look really nice

It's hard to decide which one I like more, so I"m just going to hope they release both. I always felt like Virtue was an underrated design and I'm glad to see it get some recognition.

Beth Cyra

While neither are my cup of tea, I think this is awesome how they felt they needed to do a poll. Compare that to Wing where there is a very clear ladder in place for what is liked going from Heero-Zechs-Duo-Trowa suits and then the rest.

Seems like OO fans really share the love between a good amount of suits.

CorvoSol

While neither are my cup of tea, I think this is awesome how they felt they needed to do a poll. Compare that to Wing where there is a very clear ladder in place for what is liked going from Heero-Zechs-Duo-Trowa suits and then the rest.

Seems like OO fans really share the love between a good amount of suits.

In fairness, Quatre has to wait until the movie before he even gets a good suit, and Wu Fei pilots the Dragon Gundam marks 2-4 throughout the series. Mind you his Gundams are cool, but Wu Fei is such an enormous prick that he puts you off.

Meanwhile, the Vayeate, Mercurius, and Virgo are all fucking awesome mobile suit designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom