• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beth Cyra

In fairness, Quatre has to wait until the movie before he even gets a good suit, and Wu Fei pilots the Dragon Gundam marks 2-4 throughout the series. Mind you his Gundams are cool, but Wu Fei is such an enormous prick that he puts you off.

Meanwhile, the Vayeate, Mercurius, and Virgo are all fucking awesome mobile suit designs.
I agree on Virgo and I loooooove the modified Mercurius but sadly the majority just dont seem to care.

SkyOdin

In fairness, Quatre has to wait until the movie before he even gets a good suit, and Wu Fei pilots the Dragon Gundam marks 2-4 throughout the series. Mind you his Gundams are cool, but Wu Fei is such an enormous prick that he puts you off.

Meanwhile, the Vayeate, Mercurius, and Virgo are all fucking awesome mobile suit designs.

Gundam Wing really did have some of the best grunt mech designs. The Virgo was actually intimidating and well designed. The Serpents from the movie/OVA were good too. However, the humble Leo might actually be one of my favorite mobile suits of all time for some reason. I just like its mix of simplicity, versatility, and the fact that in a good pilot's hands it can still be badass. I can't really think of another mobile suit that is both so plain and noteworthy at the same time.

In contrast, despite my love for the series I have to agree the Gundam designs from Wing are a little odd. They can be called gaudy or gimmicky. Particularly Shenlong. I like Sandrock though. It was one of the early cases where the Gundam mech designers began to realize that it is easier to make a physical blade look awesome than yet another beam saber. It is the point where physical blades went from weak grunt weapons to Gundam main armaments, which eventually lead us to Exia, something that I appreciate.

Also, Sandrock is the tankiest of tanks in SRW Z2, so I like it for that, as well.

The only wing grunt I enjoyed was the Leo.

I think the Crossbones vanguard had some excellent grunt designs. A shame we didn't get a full run series with those guys in it

Ken

serpents are coool

i also really liked maganacs for some reason lol. even bought the SD maganac kit when i was younger.

CorvoSol

I tried to paint the legs on my ancient ZZ white. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah that was the biggest mistake ever. So done painting this stupid thing, though. I must've spent like, 3 hours between today and yesterday painting it. When it dries, I'm putting it together and slapping it on the shelf. Not like moar paint would really solve the issue at this point. Still, gave me something to do while waiting for my actual ZZ and ARX-8 to arrive forever and a day from now.

I agree on Virgo and I loooooove the modified Mercurius but sadly the majority just dont seem to care.

The majority of the Gundam fanbase doesn't agree with like, MOST of my opinions, haha. I think the only opinion on Gundam I have that's truly popular is that Wing Zero Custom and Zeta fucking rock.

Gundam Wing really did have some of the best grunt mech designs. The Virgo was actually intimidating and well designed. The Serpents from the movie/OVA were good too. However, the humble Leo might actually be one of my favorite mobile suits of all time for some reason. I just like its mix of simplicity, versatility, and the fact that in a good pilot's hands it can still be badass. I can't really think of another mobile suit that is both so plain and noteworthy at the same time.

In contrast, despite my love for the series I have to agree the Gundam designs from Wing are a little odd. They can be called gaudy or gimmicky. Particularly Shenlong. I like Sandrock though. It was one of the early cases where the Gundam mech designers began to realize that it is easier to make a physical blade look awesome than yet another beam saber. It is the point where physical blades went from weak grunt weapons to Gundam main armaments, which eventually lead us to Exia, something that I appreciate.

Also, Sandrock is the tankiest of tanks in SRW Z2, so I like it for that, as well.

I think the weird thing about Wing's Gundams is that in a sense, they're based on G's. Like the Wing shares a certain similarity with the God, the Dragon and Shenlong, the Shadow and Deathscythe, the Bolt and Sandrock and to a lesser extent the Maxter and Heavyarms. The Wing Gundams are definitely the flashiest in the series, though, I think. Not in terms of what they can do, but designwise. I mean you have dragon heads and bat and angel wings and clown masks and desert ponchos going on. They're very much trying to take the over the top wackiness of G's designs and tone it into something a little more serious, I suppose.

That said, I still maintain that Wing is overall the best in terms of mechanical designs.

Wing and OO have pretty similar grunt designs in that both go for a fairly realistic war machine look.

I think Wing and 00 both had a lot of really great mechanical designs going on. SEED has some good ones, but too much of it is wacky variants on UC mechs. Like the Djinn is not really one I care much for at all. In fact, most of SEED's grunts feel really off, and some of its Gundams are sorta really awkward. Like the Akatsuki or whatever. It wants to be the Hyaku Shiki, but for some reason it just looks really weird. The Providence and Legend are interesting contrasts on the Zeong, but that weird pinwheel they have on their back with the Destroy Gundam is just off to me.

Some of the designs in SEED are spot on, though. I love the Strike, the Freedom, the Justice and the Destiny, for instance, and the BeCUEs are a neat addition. Strike Freedom's Dragoon system is cool but them gold hands are weeeird.

Course the only series I out and out hate for designs are Victory and AGE. Victory because its designs are wacky as fuck and AGE because its designs are the most boring, phoned in crap bar like, two designs.

Much crap as I give the film's plot, Char's Counterattack has a TON of great designs crammed into it. I love the Nu Gundam.

Beth Cyra

The majority of the Gundam fanbase doesn't agree with like, MOST of my opinions, haha. I think the only opinion on Gundam I have that's truly popular is that Wing Zero Custom and Zeta fucking rock.

Some of the designs in SEED are spot on, though. I love the Strike, the Freedom, the Justice and the Destiny, for instance, and the BeCUEs are a neat addition. Strike Freedom's Dragoon system is cool but them gold hands are weeeird.

Much crap as I give the film's plot, Char's Counterattack has a TON of great designs crammed into it. I love the Nu Gundam.
Corvo, almost everyone of the suits you like are Extremely popular so you agree on a lot more stuff then Zeta and Zero haha.

Also I wouldn't say that Wing is similar to God, in fact I really disagree with it. It is however VERY similar to Shining and I would say that Shining->Wing->Zero look more natural then Shining-> God.

The big issues for me with Wing's designs are that Okawara made the G Gundams and he did so with the intent of them being 16 Meter Gundams where as it really feels like these things (wing gundams) are about 2/3 meters shorter then they should be.

Wing and Zero in particular have the body size of a 18-19 meter suits but are awkwardly squished down into 16.6/7 meters and it just doesn't work. I mean jesus, look at the shoulders and the bulk of it's legs, those things have no right being on a 16 meter Gundam.

I think the similarity between Shining and Wing Gundam really, really stands out when you look at the Wing Gundam MG and see it when it is actually made to look like a 16 meter suit.

CorvoSol

I think the only reason I chose to say God instead of Shining is just that the fins on the back of the God Gundam resemble the Wing Gundam's wings when folded in.

Andrew J.

I think the weird thing about Wing's Gundams is that in a sense, they're based on G's. Like the Wing shares a certain similarity with the God, the Dragon and Shenlong, the Shadow and Deathscythe, the Bolt and Sandrock and to a lesser extent the Maxter and Heavyarms. The Wing Gundams are definitely the flashiest in the series, though, I think.

I don't really see the Wing/God similarities. Other than the red white and blue color scheme, which every "main" Gundam has, they aren't particularly similar in form or function.

Wow the kshatrya is massive. I almost want to order a 1/144 unicorn or something just to pose next to it.

Also completely ridiculous question, the pictures on the box are professional bandai painted kits right? I have never gotten a sticker to look good and am considering just tearing it off and trying to paint instead.

CorvoSol

I don't really see the Wing/God similarities. Other than the red white and blue color scheme, which every "main" Gundam has, they aren't particularly similar in form or function.

Again, its the way the God's fins fold down to sorta look like the Wing's Wings. It is admittedly nowhere near as concrete as the Dragon to Shenlong/Altron lineage, but I dunno, it made sense to me.
fJBcQtQ.jpg

Well, I'm done with it, haha. It looks like someone vomited a cow all over it, but it's mine, so I have a sick sense of pride for it. If I ever sit down to paint a Gundam again, I'll go about it more correctly. All the same, the model looks better than the dusty old lump of plastic it was when I unearthed it in my room. It'll be neat to put it next to the HGUC ZZ and see the differences.

duckroll

Looks like my RG Exia will only arrive next week. I'm already starting to seriously consider getting the RG RX-78 as well, so I can attempt to recreate the 00 S2 finale.... help.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I really love all of the mook suits in Wing. Most of the Gundams and of course love the Tall Geese, probably my favorite design of all time.

Hate the EW versions of all them except Heavyarms though. Some weird color choices, too over designed. Decent points on style though.

CorvoSol

The thing that bothers me, the more I think about it, is that the Wing Zero Custom's wings always appear to move as if they were actually sort of fluid objects, like real wings. Whereas every kit I've ever seen has them as solid parts.

Beth Cyra

The thing that bothers me, the more I think about it, is that the Wing Zero Custom's wings always appear to move as if they were actually sort of fluid objects, like real wings. Whereas every kit I've ever seen has them as solid parts.

It's probably because it's just two difficult to recreate it in Gunpla form. Though I imagine this is exactly why we have the Rubber Wing tips on the MG and the Rubber/Metal Rods on the PG to try and recreate this effect.

Lets not forget we see that long line of thrusters that are very much apart of the Wing's, yet NO Figure or Model kit in existence has them.

Edit: Glory's next chapter is out, and we see that Tallgeese's sixith (I think?) upgrade is Wing Gundam Zero EW's Wings. So the creation of Angel Zero is going to be a real doozie. Maybe when they try to blow up Proto Zero with all the bombs Zechs actually has to repair it and uses the Wings to do so?

TheRancor

First seven minutes of Unicorn Episode 7:

Japanese
English
Boo lots of CG used for the Unicorn and Banshee in those first 7 minutes, however judging by the trailer it appears they saved the 2D animation meat for the important bits and hopefully more after they transform. It might just be a matter of priority! I need my mecha sakuga fix.

Wubby

Edit: Glory's next chapter is out, and we see that Tallgeese's sixith (I think?) upgrade is Wing Gundam Zero EW's Wings. So the creation of Angel Zero is going to be a real doozie. Maybe when they try to blow up Proto Zero with all the bombs Zechs actually has to repair it and uses the Wings to do so?

Lol I was just going to post about this. Saw the image pop up on facebook.

Also one of my favorite used shops in town just reopened after a 2 month remodel (and move to the 2nd floor). I spent too much! And missed out on a cheap MG crossbone X2 by mere seconds. But I grabbed something else before the other guy did... will post a pic of my haul after dinner.

Yeah you are right is Wing Gundam and Shining Gundam that are extremely similar in their design and detailing. Wing Zero and God both diverge from those and from each other, although subtle similarities far beyond just the color scheme remained even if less obvious.

Beth Cyra

What is this abomination? Who's the idiot that ruined the best design from Wing by giving it angel wings?!

The man who created the original Tallgeese, Hajime Katoki.

I guess it could have been Sumizawa, the over-seerer of Glory of The Losers and Frozen Teardrop, but I doubt it given Katoki has designed each suit in both series up till now and the Angel Wings has always been something that he had come up with.

CorvoSol

It's probably because it's just two difficult to recreate it in Gunpla form. Though I imagine this is exactly why we have the Rubber Wing tips on the MG and the Rubber/Metal Rods on the PG to try and recreate this effect.

Lets not forget we see that long line of thrusters that are very much apart of the Wing's, yet NO Figure or Model kit in existence has them.

I think you're right. The Wings are just too difficult to create in gunpla format, both because of complexit and because there is a certain point where they pass from being highly impractical to kind of sort of impossible to operate even within the boundaries of reason.

Lol I was just going to post about this. Saw the image pop up on facebook.

Also one of my favorite used shops in town just reopened after a 2 month remodel (and move to the 2nd floor). I spent too much! And missed out on a cheap MG crossbone X2 by mere seconds. But I grabbed something else before the other guy did... will post a pic of my haul after dinner.

I love the Wing Zero Custom specifically for its wings but this is still not a good design choice. You can't just go slapping them on everything. Part of the Tallgeese's allure is that for as outlandish as the Gundams in Wing become it always remains a fairly grounded suit. Even TGIII.

Beth Cyra

I think you're right. The Wings are just too difficult to create in gunpla format, both because of complexit and because there is a certain point where they pass from being highly impractical to kind of sort of impossible to operate even within the boundaries of reason.

I love the Wing Zero Custom specifically for its wings but this is still not a good design choice. You can't just go slapping them on everything. Part of the Tallgeese's allure is that for as outlandish as the Gundams in Wing become it always remains a fairly grounded suit. Even TGIII.

Well the TG having them is a setup for Wing Zero EW getting them.

Also in Frozen Teardrop Tallgeese Heaven is created and it is also given Angel Wings, so I imagine this is meant to be duel purpose and be a preview of Heaven as well as serving the story to get Zero his wings.

So by the time of Frozen Teardrop you have 2 different Mobile Suits with Angel Wings. Wing Gundam Zero EW Black Version
Tallgeese Heaven

Snow White weirdly enough hasn't been shown to have Angel Wings and it's head (well forehead jewel and V-Fin) is actually similar to Wing Gundm TV and not the EW line.

NEO0MJ

The man who created the original Tallgeese, Hajime Katoki.

I guess it could have been Sumizawa, the over-seerer of Glory of The Losers and Frozen Teardrop, but I doubt it given Katoki has designed each suit in both series up till now and the Angel Wings has always been something that he had come up with.

Aha. Still, I don't like it. Tallgeese was one of the few suits I like in Wing. Funny thing is that I used to love Deathscythe back when it first aired but now I'm pretty meh on that suit.

Where can I take a look at Frozen Teardrop mobile suits?

Beth Cyra

Aha. Still, I don't like it. Tallgeese was one of the few suits I like in Wing. Funny thing is that I used to love Deathscythe back when it first aired but now I'm pretty meh on that suit.

Where can I take a look at Frozen Teardrop mobile suits?
If you hit up the Gundam wiki you'll easily find them.

Though you'll only see Prometheus, Queen of Hearts, Virgo 4, Epyon White, and Epyon Aries.

Snow White has only shown its forehead jewel and that it also has blue eyes. You can also see a fair bit of the Seven Dwarf Crossbow/Canon which serves as its main weapon load out.

Warlock, Shez, and Wyvern haven't been shown unshielded at all.

Beth Cyra

Looking up the site only showed me Prometheus and my Google-Fu yielded nothing.

Queen of Hearts

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/New_Mo...g:_Frozen_Teardrop?file=Mars_Mobile_Suits.jpg

Epyon VS Epyon White

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/New_Mobile_Report_Gundam_Wing:_Frozen_Teardrop?file=14de7b0001ce5e.jpg

You can see Snow White's Head and Seven Dwarf System as well as more up close and detailed look at Epyon White in the Gundam Wing Frozen Teardrop Picture Drama that came with Blu Ray Box Set 2.

It also shows the new Zero System interface.

i'm still surprised they havent actually revealed snow white yet. frozen teardrop has ben going on for agees.

Nearly 4 years and whats more, they have not revealed Snow White, but actually went through with a Fake Out of Snow White (Something they did with Warlock as well actually) on one of the covers of Frozen Teardrop. I can't believe they are teasing Snow White this hard, even more so if it is a ends up being a throw back like OOq was to Exia.

Beth Cyra

Queen of Hearts? Gundam Wing confirmed as sequel to G Gundam.

Haha.

It has the Suit/High card thing going, but it's a play on Alice in Wonderland.

In fact all of Frozen Teardrop is themed around Fables, with Heero's Sleep Capsule being Aurora and his suit being Snow White while Relena Peacecraft's Sleep Capsule is Prince Charming.

CorvoSol

Haha.

It has the Suit/High card thing going, but it's a play on Alice in Wonderland.

In fact all of Frozen Teardrop is themed around Fables, with Heero's Sleep Capsule being Aurora and his suit being Snow White while Relena Peacecraft's Sleep Capsule is Prince Charming.

Turning the guys of Wing into princesses is the only possible way to make them appeal even more to fujoshi, isn't it?

Turning the guys of Wing into princesses is the only possible way to make them appeal even more to fujoshi, isn't it?

I think its hilarious that Relena is Prince Charming while Heero is Snow White.

Poor Relena, every other Gundam pilot had a kid/apprentice but she never got to have Heero's kid. Maybe by the end of Frozen Teardrop lol.

BTW is Phobos
Doktor T's psuedo kid/clone?

CorvoSol

Making me dislike Wing even more now.

Awww. I can never hate Wing. Not with a dub as amazing as "WAHT ABOUT DA MOOOOOBILE SUUUUUUUUUUUITSS!!??!??!" That guy was incredible.

I think its hilarious that Relena is Prince Charming while Heero is Snow White.

Poor Relena, every other Gundam pilot had a kid/apprentice but she never got to have Heero's kid. Maybe by the end of Frozen Teardrop lol.

BTW is Phobos
Doktor T's psuedo kid/clone?

Nobody can have babies because clearly all the Wing boys are into each other and not whores like Relena. Didn't you read issue 5 of my 19 volume fan fic legendarium? COME ON CRIMSON.

Frozen Teardrop sounds so fucking stupid. Ruining Gundam Wing total

The really bad fanfic shows best when you have like, three Epyons rolling around. If the new Princess Mobile Suits are at least original designs that's fine, but "Epyon White" is so dumb I can't even put it into words properly.

Frozen Teardrop sounds like the Gundam Unicorn of Gundam Wing. Lolz. :)

Aww, come on now. Unicorn's not that bad.

Beth Cyra

It really is though.

The backlash that Frozen Teardrop has recevied from the Wing community is nearly identical to that which we saw from UC fans back when Unicorn was in it's Novel form only.

Granted I would say FT has gone over even worse, but that doesn't change the fact that the same type of backlash happened to Unicorn.

I decided to watch ZZ anyways and.. what the fuck is this shit. The drop off in quality from Zeta is biblical.

Ptyzk.jpg

Second half of ZZ is better then the whole of Zeta. Yeah I said it, come at me.

Awww. I can never hate Wing. Not with a dub as amazing as "WAHT ABOUT DA MOOOOOBILE SUUUUUUUUUUUITSS!!??!??!" That guy was incredible.

Nobody can have babies because clearly all the Wing boys are into each other and not whores like Relena. Didn't you read issue 5 of my 19 volume fan fic legendarium? COME ON CRIMSON.

The really bad fanfic shows best when you have like, three Epyons rolling around. If the new Princess Mobile Suits are at least original designs that's fine, but "Epyon White" is so dumb I can't even put it into words properly.

Aww, come on now. Unicorn's not that bad.

First, did you read Unicorn?
fucking shit with Rape, prostitution, clones and all kinds of other garbage. Unicorn had some fucking awful stuff that was handled very poorly. lets not act like it was some bastion of quality compared to FT.

Second Epyon White is the most logical thing from FT so I don't see how that is your hang up with it.
Wufei has had a hard on for Treize since they met, and even through Endless Waltz it continued. There is no reason to believe that he suddenly dropped it just because he blew up Altron, and in fact him taking Treize's final and most powerful design and improving on it, and using it to keep humanity safe is very much in character for this douche bag.

Beth Cyra

I certainly hope this is the case. Only about 5 episodes in.

Also copped a pen for panel lining today. 0.1 mm, let's see how well this works.

It is.

Judau calms down abit about how Adults are Satan, and he really comes into his own. He is really an amazing lead, easily the best of the UC timeline with only Seabook coming close IMO.

CorvoSol

I certainly hope this is the case. Only about 5 episodes in.

Also copped a pen for panel lining today. 0.1 mm, let's see how well this works.

ZZ is sort of the inverse of Zeta to me, in that where I loved Zeta's beginning and hated its ending, I did not like ZZ's beginning and loved its ending. There's some really weird stuff along the way that you just have to sit back and make fun of, but like Trueprime said, Judau really comes into his own and tones down the whole fuck the police bit he has at first. After they leave Shangri-la things begin to slowly get better and better.

I thought Seabook was pretty so-so. Then I read Crossbone and he and Tobia rocketed to the top. For me its Tobia & Kincaido > Judau & Kamille > Amuro & Loran > Shiro & Uso >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kou.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom