• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Heh, perhaps another time. I'm still new to this Gunpla thing. The 00 Raiser is the second one I've bought, with the Wing Gundam Zero being the first. Gonna stick to HG for a little bit before going on to something else.

All the kits I buy have been HG. Low investment, no painting technology or skill required. Honestly the most difficult part of the process is just figuring out how to put those ridiculously small stickers in place with your giant meaty paws.

I'd have to improve before I considered buying anything above HG, heh.

CorvoSol

I've been using tweezers for stickers.

Not a bad idea. I've been using the tip of a blade. Cuz like, I have an exacto knife for opening the package around so I use that to peel the sticker and set it in place, then smooth it down with less sharp, jabby things.

Got myself a HG 00 Raiser GN Sword III as my first ever gunpla! Excited to make it! :)

I'll post pictures when I'm done. Gonna take my sweet time making it tomorrow as I have the day off.

All the kits I buy have been HG. Low investment, no painting technology or skill required. Honestly the most difficult part of the process is just figuring out how to put those ridiculously small stickers in place with your giant meaty paws.

The pricing is the reason I skipped out on the MG 00 Raiser. Not paying 80 dollars for something that's only slightly bigger than something I can get for like, half that price.

Gundam 00 S1 - 3

All right then, at least Celestial has some sense of morality, and are willing to accept an enemy's surrender. So kudos there.

Huh, these guys are actually making some peace progress with their work already. I'm still willing to bet though that their tactics is going to cause everything in this world to go to hell at some point.

duckroll

The pricing is the reason I skipped out on the MG 00 Raiser. Not paying 80 dollars for something that's only slightly bigger than something I can get for like, half that price.

The "size" isn't the main factor to look at here. The larger scale allows for much more detail and complexity in the kit, and that's the quality you should be looking at when considering if you want to pay more. Now, when it comes to RG vs MG, that's where the price smokes the MGs completely because in many cases they really are just a "slightly bigger" kit for twice the price or more.

NEO0MJ

Now, when it comes to RG vs MG, that's where the price smokes the MGs completely because in many cases they really are just a "slightly bigger" kit for twice the price or more.

Size can matter to a lot of people. Plus aren't RGs pretty fragile? I also imagine that they're much more difficult to customize due to the size and limited parts available.

Ken

The "size" isn't the main factor to look at here. The larger scale allows for much more detail and complexity in the kit, and that's the quality you should be looking at when considering if you want to pay more. Now, when it comes to RG vs MG, that's where the price smokes the MGs completely because in many cases they really are just a "slightly bigger" kit for twice the price or more.

Personally, I'm into "slightly bigger."

duckroll

Size can matter to a lot of people. Plus aren't RGs pretty fragile? I also imagine that they're much more difficult to customize due to the size and limited parts available.

I'm not saying size doesn't matter. You misunderstand. I was just pointing out that if he feels that MGs are too expensive for something that's "just a little bit bigger" he's missing the point of most of the benefits which come with a MG other than -just- size. RGs are probably way harder to kitbash yeah, but they look like they have better posing ability than most of the equivalent MGs. There are definite trade offs.

Gundam 00 S1 - 5

My enjoyment of this show went up a lot with this episode. Good to see these guys showing how awesome they can be when they're actually helping people as opposed to taking out armies.

Hmm, a young couple that's SO innocent and they act nice and cute together! Certain expectations I have had for this show have now been set.

Ken

I'm sick of this cyberbullying. I'm calling Celestial Being! :(

i6K9lfyLMI32A.png

I'm sick of this cyberbullying. I'm calling Celestial Being! :(

Before I started watching Gundam 00, I always thought Celestial Being was some kind of big supernatural mythical godly force in Gundam 00 from the way Setsuna rattled on about it in every mission in Gundam Musou 3. I had never expected it to be some of secret organization or whatever haha. Maybe they mentioned it in a story cut-scene in the game, but lord knows I couldn't be bothered to sit through that.

Gundam 00 S1 - 7

Wow, the girly-haired purple man in glasses is a douche. Allelujah and Lockon are the only two Gundam Meisters that I really enjoy so far. Setsuna is a blank-faced bore who appears to have had all the emotions sucked out of him at some point in his life. He could be worse though, I mean, from the looks of his backstory he could have easily been an annoying big ol' whiny angst. I'd take little to no emotions over that any day.

Anyways shit's getting real, and Celestial Being decides to handle it the way they usually handle it. As long as it means more of them blowing shit up, I'm good with it. The mecha action sequences in this show have been spectacular so far. And hey, now they're apparently fighting against actual bad guys! So now I can legitimately root for them all the way this time!

If I had to rank the CB guys...

Tieria > Setsuna > Lockon > Allelujah

Tieria gets better. I didn't like him at first either, but he ends up being pretty cool. Setsuna is just so comical in how stoic he is. I laugh out loud just hearing him say "Saji Kurosuroudo" even.

Most hilarious Gundam lead because of that.

Lockon is alright. He has a cool gundam (the only one that I really liked in OO). Allelujah can fuck off though. Such a weak link.

If I had to rank the CB guys...

Tieria > Setsuna > Lockon > Allelujah

Tieria gets better. I didn't like him at first either, but he ends up being pretty cool. Setsuna is just so comical in how stoic he is. I laugh out loud just hearing him say "Saji Kurosuroudo" even.

Most hilarious Gundam lead because of that.

Lockon is alright. He has a cool gundam (the only one that I really liked in OO). Allelujah can fuck off though. Such a weak link.

I hope you're right about Tieria turning around. Can't stand this guy the way he is now. I like Allelujah cause he's the first one to actually act like a good guy in this show in episode 5.

I can't watch 00 without making eighty million trans am jokes.

Sorry, but HLJ was unable to process your trans amction. Would you like to purchase something else?

Okay, you've probably heard that one a million times >_>. Couldn't resist.

CorvoSol

When I first started building these models, nobody mentioned what a toll on my being it would be. Just finished a kit that took 7 hours. My back and hands are dying.

Also, visually speaking, how much taller are 1/100 kits than 1/144? About a head or so?

Ken

I wouldn't be surprised if the HG destroy mode Unicorn Gundam is really close height-wise the MG G-Gundam mobile suits.

Yeah. I haven't built my HG Unicorn DM yet but everything I've seen about that kit points to it being pretty big for a HG. Maybe I'll get around to it before Episode 7.

CorvoSol

What is it? Unicorn?

No it's the 1/60 Laevatein from Full Metal Panic. It's taller than the Bandai Spirits model and also taller than the HG series by about a head, but if a 1/100 Gundam is a torso plus above a 1/144 then I assume the kit is just in the middle.

This is all aside from the different scales, the vastly different heights of the units in their respective shows and that the kit is not a Bandai one.

Although the contents of the box were more or less exactly what you'd find in a Gunpla box.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Setsuna is Heero and Marina is Releena.

They're just in a far more cynical world than Wing

Allelujah is my favorite meister because I liked his crazy mode. Allelujah is kind of a weenie tho

Aizo

Banned
Didn't an HG Turn A get released? I keep looking at Bic and Yodobashi, and I'm not finding it. Maybe I should go to Akiba...

Also, did SEED Destiny HD finish airing yet? I expected a new announcement when it ended.

When I first started building these models, nobody mentioned what a toll on my being it would be. Just finished a kit that took 7 hours. My back and hands are dying.

Also, visually speaking, how much taller are 1/100 kits than 1/144? About a head or so?

Youre not really supposed to build theme in ine sitting

Blader

I hope you're right about Tieria turning around. Can't stand this guy the way he is now. I like Allelujah cause he's the first one to actually act like a good guy in this show in episode 5.

I remember not liking Tieria for most of season 1, but he's great in S2.

Setsuna is Heero and Marina is Releena.

They're just in a far more cynical world than Wing

Allelujah is my favorite meister because I liked his crazy mode. Allelujah is kind of a weenie tho

Wing was pretty cynical, it just ended an impossibly optimistic note (twice!), which kind of casts a shadow over the whole thing.

CorvoSol

Youre not really supposed to build theme in ine sitting

Haha, yeah, that is the feeling I get after this one.

Anyway, as to the 00 main cast: Lockon 1> Al S2 > Setsuna > Tieria. I hated Tieria the whole way through, and I hated the whole Hallelujah thing, but in S2 Al was fairly improved in my eyes.

Really though the only characters I cared about/for were Lockon 1 and Soma Pieries and Col. Smirnov.

Scavenger

I usually don't buy unlicensed kits, but this one looks too cool to pass up on. I can't imagine this to be any worse than the official kit. The official kit gave me a headache with those damn hoses and the knee scews that I never managed to screw on. To me this lies in the same gray area as the third party Transformers figures.

Beth Cyra

I remember not liking Tieria for most of season 1, but he's great in S2.

Wing was pretty cynical, it just ended an impossibly optimistic note (twice!), which kind of casts a shadow over the whole thing.

This really ruins the series for me honestly.

You have one of the most unique and really creepy leads in all of Gundam with how easily Heero snuffs out human life only for him to end as a pacifist (okay not really, but still he is only killing Mobile Dolls and not people)? Nah, thats bullshit.

They should have went whole hog and really went the dark route with Wing and maybe they could have had something special and not a show with writing all over the damn place.

CorvoSol

This really ruins the series for me honestly.

You have one of the most unique and really creepy leads in all of Gundam with how easily Heero snuffs out human life only for him to end as a pacifist (okay not really, but still he is only killing Mobile Dolls and not people)? Nah, thats bullshit.

They should have went whole hog and really went the dark route with Wing and maybe they could have had something special and not a show with writing all over the damn place.

My problem really was that Endless Waltz's ending was super dumb. Like the whole movie seems to be about telling you how dumb the total pacifism ending to Wing was, and then they wind up right back where they started at the end, going so far as to burn rifles and
blow up Gundams.

Anyway, it isn't technically a Gunpla, so I'll just link it: 1/60 ARX-8 Laevatein. Really loved this kit, but holy cow 7 hours was a long build time!

Beth Cyra

My problem really was that Endless Waltz's ending was super dumb. Like the whole movie seems to be about telling you how dumb the total pacifism ending to Wing was, and then they wind up right back where they started at the end, going so far as to burn rifles and
blow up Gundams.

Anyway, it isn't technically a Gunpla, so I'll just link it: 1/60 ARX-8 Laevatein. Really loved this kit, but holy cow 7 hours was a long build time!

Hey, at least Turn A retconned the stupid as shit ending.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

Both the protagonists and antagonists were painfully idealistic in their beliefs and those beliefs are never really challenged. The total pacifism was also played completely straight unlike in 00.

blow up Gundams.
Look you don't get it. You have to fight for peace by not fighting, freedom isn't free, so on and so forth.

CorvoSol

Hey, at least Turn A retconned the stupid as shit ending.

Did it? I had never thought of it like that.

Look you don't get it. You have to fight for peace by not fighting, freedom isn't free, so on and so forth.

I guess so, but considering destroying their weapons and committing to not fighting was what got them into the movie's plot in the first place, the message feels very undercut. Especially since peace was again achieved at the point of a sword and not by destroying their weapons.

I guess so, but considering destroying their weapons and committing to not fighting was what got them into the movie's plot in the first place, the message feels very undercut. Especially since peace was again achieved at the point of a sword and not by destroying their weapons.

The movie never claimed that was practical to begin with. The existence of preventers pretty much says outward peace and stability has to be maintained by subtle use of force and violence.

frye

Both the protagonists and antagonists were painfully idealistic in their beliefs and those beliefs are never really challenged. The total pacifism was also played completely straight unlike in 00.

Endless Waltz explicitly challenges Relena's beliefs and she ultimately realizes that violence is necessary at times. Treize is idealistic in a way as well, but he's really trying to make a point about war more than anything else.

But yeah, the ending scene of EW is really weird and kinda works against a lot of what it was trying to do I think.

CorvoSol

The movie never claimed that was practical to begin with. The existence of preventers pretty much says outward peace and stability has to be maintained by subtle use of force and violence.

So why blow up the Gundams and burn the rifles then? Why not just put them in storage? Like, the movie's plot isn't so much what I'm questioning as the way the ending works out. I don't get what the point of blowing up the Gundams was, especially if Frozen Teardrop has more mobile suit battles underway. It's just sort of weird. I mean, I get the message, I guess, I just think that it clashes horribly with the way the rest of the movie seems to really criticize the total pacifism ideal.

So why blow up the Gundams and burn the rifles then? Why not just put them in storage? Like, the movie's plot isn't so much what I'm questioning as the way the ending works out. I don't get what the point of blowing up the Gundams was, especially if Frozen Teardrop has more mobile suit battles underway. It's just sort of weird. I mean, I get the message, I guess, I just think that it clashes horribly with the way the rest of the movie seems to really criticize the total pacifism ideal.

Because Gundams are super weapons capable of shifting the course of any battle and war. The gundam boys were tired of fighting and wanted to avoid any future responsibility and involvement by destroying these super weapons. Oh and it was also all Qattre's idea, that moron.

Beth Cyra

Did it? I had never thought of it like that.

Yes, for Turn A to exist with the Black History as it is then it completely retcons Wing's ending.

Even if we are to believe that After Colony would be the final Timeline before the Correct Century then the existence of Turn A and all the other machines of war show that weapons of destruction were clearly needed.

Also as others pointed the Preventers existing already showed that the ending wouldn't hold and the Movie had been out for a year before Preventer 5 (a story following Wing EW) and it had weapons and mobile suits.

Hell even Frozen Teardrop exists, so really Bandai never really believed in or tried to follow through on the ending of total pacifism anyway. I think that the Gundam being blown up was for one reason, it was a way to show that Bandai wasn't going to come back to the series.

At the time no AU had animated expansions, and this was before SEED so Endless Waltz was really unique, but at the same time I think Bandai was trying to say that this wasn't something they planned on continuing or that future AU's would get regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom