• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my first gunpla today! A friend brought it for me when he was in Japan. Dunno if it's beginner easy, but it will be fun to build (if i find the time)
BmjYw6tIgAALrtY.jpg

Ken

I got my first gunpla today! A friend brought it for me when he was in Japan. Dunno if it's beginner easy, but it will be fun to build (if i find the time)

Take your time and go slow especially when an MG is your first; it might be really overwhelming especially if you try to tackle it in one sitting.

Beth Cyra

Proto Zero is VERY beginner friendly as far as MG's go. The build is extremely simple, nothing about it's construction takes anything above the slightest effort or thought once you get into the grove.

Easiest Transformable MG I can think of and possibly the simplest MG in the last few years save Gundam X.

Ken

Proto Zero is VERY beginner friendly as far as MG's go. The build is extremely simple, nothing about it's construction takes anything above the slightest effort or thought once you get into the grove.

Easiest Transformable MG I can think of and possibly the simplest MG in the last few years save Gundam X.

That's good. I haven't built an MG since Strike Noire so I have no idea how recent MGs are. Still need to get to my MG Build Fighters...

Beth Cyra

That's good. I haven't built an MG since Strike Noire so I have no idea how recent MGs are. Still need to get to my MG Build Fighters...

All the XXXG and GAT (so this would include Build Strike) suits are relativily simple when it comes to construction. I would say Wing Proto Zero takes this a step further by coloring almost all the green pieces so you aren't even applying stickers anymore.

The last few years we've seen a real line being drawn with MG's, one one hand you have stuff like the Ver Ka's, Geara Doga and Jesta that are large, detailed and complex builds.

Then you have stuff like XXXG, GAT, and AGE stuff where they are going much more towards HG's in making them very simple and in some cases making it so these things don't even have inner detail and are clearly meant to have the Armor on at all times.

Take MG Tallgeese and Gundam X. Both of these kits have almost ZERO inner detail, it's really shocking to see them compared to kits from 5 years ago because they just get spanked. Granted they are amazing, and they look great but with out that armor it's just shocking at how plain they are. Proto Zero comes across as odd, because it has good leg detail but it's chest has almost none to speak of.

Gundam 00 S1 - 17

Yup. Should have known that these guys
were too overpowered to be the good guys.

Ooooooh boy. So the big boss of Celestial Being
isn't exactly trying to get rid of war. I'm just going to go guess here that the real goal is world domination? It has to be world domination. But if it isn't, I'll probably be impressed.

Louise is going to Spain you say?
Something really bad is going to happen to Louise I say. At this point they might as well stick a huge countdown clock on her.

Mobile Suit Gundam 1-5:

I really wanted to watch the original stuff, and I'm glad I did. Wow. It's great! The story has been really cool, the characters are neat, and the mobile suit looks totes rad. I gotta get the MG.

Also, I now have a love for Zaku~

Gundam 00 S1 - 24

I'm really going to have to continue on to Season 2 aren't I? Because there's no way they can possibly wrap all this shit up with one more episode.

No, I'm probably going to see a huge cliffhanger to a show I really liked, and it's going to lead into something that's probably going to suck according to almost everybody here who's seen it.

I really hope that won't be the case, because I liked this show so far. But my expectations for Season 2 are not high, so we'll see.

Anyways, this episode.
A giant big golden battleship comes in and starts ruining everything. Great. Both the Kyrios and Nadleeh have pratically been torn to pieces, and Setsuna's the only one left.

Oh, was I supposed to feel really sad for the two minor characters that died in this episode? Sorry, I'm too busy mourning the loss of Lockon at the moment. I remember him MUCH more than I do these guys, who had really rushed character development right before their deaths.

Anyways, one more episode of the good S1. Please be a great final battle.

CorvoSol

Few episodes left in ZZ now. It's getting kind of weird.

Wow you flew right through it, haha.

On the one hand, this show starts with oranges and chickens. On the other hand, I confess that might not be enough to prepare you for
glam rock Mashmyre and Chara, or Haman developing a crush on Judau.

CorvoSol

I hated that entire ending because everything was going fine and then Nina utterly derails EVERYTHING and switches sides like, four to ninety times.

Fucking Nina Purpleton, why would you even design a Gundam with nukes?

RSLAEV

The only thing I dont like about the ending is the nina part. The final battle is cool, as is gatos last stand.

Gato doesn't have a final fight with Kou, doesn't crash the colony into Jaburo or any place that makes much sense, and in the end we see the federation is made stronger by his actions? not Zeon?

This is the least satisfying ending to anything that I've seen in a long long time.

Fucking Nina fucking Purpleton. You built 2 top of the line war machines, one of which is specifically designed to fire the largest nuclear warhead ever fucking created, and you lose your shit when people actually use them? Oh and the Zeon that was laying pipe to you 3 years ago mysteriously shows up and walks off with your shit? hmm almost as if he was playing your ass. And you pull a gun on Kou to help Gato escape? goddamnit GODDDAMNIT

Enron

Banned

The only real difficult part about MGs is the number of pieces. If you aren't going to paint it, this isn't a problem though.

Blader

0083 is pretty bad, but its still got two of the best Gundam OPs ever.

Did Kou end up being retconned into an AEUG pilot or did I just make that up?

PhiLonius

I've been saying forever that Nina is the worst.

0083 is pretty bad, but its still got two of the best Gundam OPs ever.

Did Kou end up being retconned into an AEUG pilot or did I just make that up?

People were saying he was the Byarlant pilot in UC Episode 4 when it first came out. Don't think that was the case though.

Blader

The Unicorn manga that's running alongside the OVA ID'd that pilot as some former Titans officer. Manga aren't wholly canon anyways, but putting Kou in that suit doesn't seem like it was on anybody's minds at least.

I'd lol @ Kou still being stuck in the same place 13 years later though.

Gundam 00 S1 - 25 END

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

"I am the main character now!"

YOU DID ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE DAMN SERIES. ALL YOU DID WAS SHUFFLE AROUND TALKING ABOUT THINGS AND SCREW AROUND WITH A SUPER COMPUTER INSIDE THE MOON! Technically that wasn't even you! Your buddy Ribbons did all the work on that regard! What makes you think you can just waltz right in and declare yourself the new main villain?!? That was Ghram's job! Thank goodness Setsuna finished you off quickly! Otherwise we couldn't have had the long-awaited fight between them again!

So anyway, this wasn't that bad of an ending for the first season aside from that. I honestly expected worse. I'm definetly in the "I really like it" crowd when it comes to Gundam 00 S1.

Yeah, it ended on a cliffhanger, like I expected it too, but it wasn't as huge a cliffhanger as I expected it would be. They did leave a lot of plot threads hanging though, which I guess will be resolved in S2. Or maybe they won't, considering the hate S2 gets.

I do have some problems with some other parts of S1 though, like the
subplot of Saji's sister looking into CB felt pointless. It didn't exactly go anywhere, and didn't contribute anything to the main plot, aside from making Saji an even more tragic character than he already was at that point

Still though, I'd have to say that Gundam 00 S1 is still very good. The show certainly knew how to keep me hooked with its tension and its action scenes.

But anyway, time to get into S2. Let's see how low this show goes!

I'm rewatching 00 (at episode 8 now I believe) and I'm liking it less than I did the first time. The geopolitics are a lot dumber than I remember and for some reason I really hate most of the characters. I just want to skip every scene that's focused on Saji and Louise, the pointless enigma that is Wang Liu Mei and her man-servant and the worst comedic relief pair Christina and Feldt. Gundam 00 is a show about the four Gundam Meisters, Graham Acre, super evil Ali-Al Saachez and going against the entire world. I liked the Saji and Louise sub-plot the first time because it added a more relatable human element to a story of awesome robots. On a second watch it's just dreadful.
Also Tieria is way more antagonistic than I remember, holy crap.
He was gonna shoot Setsuna if Lockon didn't stop him.

I'm pretty sure the 25th episode won't disappoint me. And that is where I'll stop with my rewatch. I don't think the second season is crap but I just have no urge to watch it again.

PhiLonius

That's pretty much exactly how I felt rewatching it recently.

I thought there were so many characters that really added nothing to the show. It could have certainly gone through some some cuts to make it a bit more focused.

Blader

That's pretty much exactly how I felt rewatching it recently.

I thought there were so many characters that really added nothing to the show. It could have certainly gone through some some cuts to make it a bit more focused.

I think this is a Kuroda problem, because the issue of more characters than the show knows what to do with cropped up in Build Fighters too.

Wubby

There's a 3D printer on kickstarter right now that may be good for this. I'm currently pledged at the $249 level.... It's a really small printer and really low cost compared to others currently on the market. But I'm debating cancelling or not. I won't get it till February of next year and I can't help but think if this small company can make this at this price then someone like HP can't be far behind with something possibly better, or even Amazon may make their own 3D printer I'm guessing (then sell the downloadable patterns and stuff).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/m3d/the-micro-the-first-truly-consumer-3d-printer

Also! The HG GM Sniper II White Dingo Custom is up for order again on P-Bandai, as well as some other Gundam Side Story OLEs

http://p-bandai.jp/hobby/special-1000002674/
http://p-bandai.jp/hobby/a0024/item-1000088504/
http://p-bandai.jp/hobby/a0024/item-1000088505/

Currently on episode 6 of Gundam 00 and I'm liking what i'm seeing so far. A few thoughts.

Getting the special editons for 00 from RightStuf for 12 bucks each was a steal.
Watching the Ocean dub, Brad Swaille as the very stotic Setsuna was intially jarring but an interesting change of pace from his usual roles. The dub itself is pretty damn good.
I'm certain Tieria was supposed to be a woman but changed his gender for whatever reason.
I'm getting a lot Full Metal Panic vibes when Lockon and Setsuna interact.
The Plotemios crew is the group of characters that interest me the most right now, notably Sumeragi and Feldt.

Overall good show so far hoping it gets better from here.

Ken

The Unicorn manga that's running alongside the OVA ID'd that pilot as some former Titans officer. Manga aren't wholly canon anyways, but putting Kou in that suit doesn't seem like it was on anybody's minds at least.

I'd lol @ Kou still being stuck in the same place 13 years later though.

There was a second Byarlant at Torrington Base that apparently had malfunctions and couldn't take off.

In my mind that was ENSIGN KOU URAKI, and not this Bier guy that the manga wants to tell people!!

Currently on episode 6 of Gundam 00 and I'm liking what i'm seeing so far. A few thoughts.

Getting the special editons for 00 from RightStuf for 12 bucks was a steal.
Watching the Ocean dub, Brad Swaille as the very stotic Setsuna was intially jarring but an interesting change of pace from his usual roles.

They should have had Swaille play Ribbons instead, keeping with Tohru Furuya playing the character. There is supposed to be some sort of symbolism there

Beth Cyra

They should have had Swaille play Ribbons instead, keeping with Tohru Furuya playing the character. There is supposed to be some sort of symbolism there

I've said that from the start, Brad had no business being Setsuna, if he played anyone it should have been Ribbons.

One of the reasons I hate OO as much as I do is because I'm a dub first person, and every time I hear Brad coming out of Setsuna I want to just kill myself.

Gundam 00 S2 - 1

The hell's going on here?

Okay, first of all, YO DAMN AT DAT EXIA COMEBACK SCENE. Seriously, reminded me of that scene with the Black Getter in Getter Robo Armageddon. sogood.gif

So I'm just going to guess that these A-LAWS people are a big military faction that's...evil some how? And Louise is also part of it too? Please second episode, give me some explanations!

HHNNNNGGGGHHH that OP at the end. Part of the reason why I'm watching 00 is cause I love the second seasons' first OP.

Wait, Lockon? How is he...wait, a twin? WELL THAT'S STUPID. What the hell was point of killing off Lockon in the first season if you're just going to replace him with his twin brother and give him the EXACT SAME GUNDAM AND CODENAME?!? Thanks for making the badass death of one of the best characters meaningless guys!

It's only just begun hasn't it?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
00 and Build Fighters both introduce a ton of characters and have difficulty balancing them equally (more so in 00's case); i.e. there are more characters than the show can handle. Kuroda wrote both.

I know what he said I just can't disagree enough with it.

A large part of what warmed me up to Build Fighters after being unimpressed with its first few episodes was how well it utilized its minor characters. I was really surprised by how much I cared about all of them with how the show establishes their relationships, paces their appearances and gives them legitimate reasons to come back.

I don't agree with the 00 comparison at all. I mean 00 had so many pointless antagonists that it literally had a full episode dedicated to them all killing each other off just so it could finally focus on one of them

CorvoSol

Also GBF never replaced people with identical clones after killing them off.
Lockoff
is the biggest offender but the worst is
Not-Nena Trinity
in the movie.

Blader

I know what he said I just can't disagree enough with it.

A large part of what warmed me up to Build Fighters after being unimpressed with its first few episodes was how well it utilized its minor characters. I was really surprised by how much I cared about all of them with how the show establishes their relationships, paces their appearances and gives them legitimate reasons to come back.

I don't agree with the 00 comparison at all. I mean 00 had so many pointless antagonists that it literally had a full episode dedicated to them all killing each other off just so it could finally focus on one of them

I'm not shitting on Build Fighters, I enjoyed it a lot (though I liked 00 just fine too so...), I'm just saying that it juggled a lot of characters -- primarily in the actual tournament -- where their development amounted to like one or two episodes. Or you had guys like Mao or samurai boy and their many girlfriends who were in the show pretty often, but still spent of their time on the sidelines doing next to nothing.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the show and most of the people in it, but it was overloaded with characters that many of them ended up getting shortchanged.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
They're side characters though. They're supposed to be on the sidelines lol

Sei and Reiji are the main characters. Everyone else just comes in and out of their story. and I think the show handled that extremely well.

Also 00 question. Was that scene in season one where Lockon
and his twin brother
visit their family's graves added to the bluray release or something. Felt out of place. The only reason it made sense to me was that I already knew what happened by season 2

So I'm just going to guess that these A-LAWS people are a big military faction that's...evil some how?
And Louise is also part of it too?
Please second episode, give me some explanations!

A-LAWS is basically 00 copying the Titans from Zeta. Don't try and make sense of it.

As for
Louise
, it's never adequately explained.
Saiji and Louise's
storyline is probably the worst aspect of Season 2. Their place in the conflict just feels so unnatural and forced

Leezard

Also 00 question. Was that scene in season one where Lockon
and his twin brother
visit their family's graves added to the bluray release or something. Felt out of place. The only reason it made sense to me was that I already knew what happened by season 2

No, that scene was in the original run. There was a lot of speculation as to what Lockon's
twin brother
would amount to by that time.

duckroll

I recall the director of 00 mentioning that one of the inspirations he had for the Lockon story was The Wind That Shakes the Barley. Lol.

SkyOdin

It would have made a heck of a lot more sense if Feldt had replaced Lockon as a Gundam Meister, and
Lockon's twin
had appeared in a different role, such as purely a member of a third party faction.
At least they differentiated the two in fighting style, even if how Lockon 2 was recruited into Celestial Being made zero sense.

duckroll

Here are some awful photos of the SD Command Gundam I made. It comes with tons of weapons (Rifle, submachine gun, missile pack, knife, grenades) which can be used in a bunch of different ways. You can even combine the rifle, gun, missile pack and knife into one single mounted weapon. Love how all the armor pieces can come off too. I'm really impressed with the two SD kits I got so far (SD Knight and SD Command), they're a TON of fun to play with, and for the size and price there's a lot more customization gimmicks than I expected.

Ken

Here are some awful photos of the SD Command Gundam I made. It comes with tons of weapons (Rifle, submachine gun, missile pack, knife, grenades) which can be used in a bunch of different ways. You can even combine the rifle, gun, missile pack and knife into one single mounted weapon. Love how all the armor pieces can come off too. I'm really impressed with the two SD kits I got so far (SD Knight and SD Command), they're a TON of fun to play with, and for the size and price there's a lot more customization gimmicks than I expected.

but are you best girl aila jyrkiäinen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom