• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh hell no. Zeta's OP is amazing, the fuck is wrong with you?

4d5.gif
I need GUNDAMUUUUUUUU to be happy.
GUNDAMU!

Also, fuck the 00 Gundam MG.
It goes for like, $53 here. lol

CorvoSol

Alright, I'll get those next. :)

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 1:
what the fuck was that all about?
who were these people?
why did i care for their issues?
why is the main character just beating people up?

wow what an episode
also the intro is terrible and it should feel bad for it

EDIT Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 3:
WHY
WHAT DID THAT ACCOMPLISH
WHAT IS THIS EVEN

Well now, hold on, which intro are we watching? Are you watching the one that sounds like Super Mario Galaxy Music, or the one that's got a lady singing?

ALSO. Bear with Kamille. While he is undeniably a shit at the start, he really does grow into being one of my favorite protagonists. (I like him more than Amuro and Banagher, but less than Judau, Tobia and Domon. Possibly more than Loran.)

RangerBAD

Well now, hold on, which intro are we watching? Are you watching the one that sounds like Super Mario Galaxy Music, or the one that's got a lady singing?

ALSO. Bear with Kamille. While he is undeniably a shit at the start, he really does grow into being one of my favorite protagonists. (I like him more than Amuro and Banagher, but less than Judau, Tobia and Domon. Possibly more than Loran.)

Kamille is a MAN's name!

Super Kamille Galaxy.
And he's a little shit, but I'll be damned if I don't see why. Also, Bright needs to get his pimp hand swinging at some of these fools.

also if they keep "foreshadowing" Char i swear i will scream so hard

CorvoSol

Man names in Gundam were never the same after Zeta. Kamille for a boy, Poptarts for a Jovian Lizard, Four. They weren't "REVIVE REVIVAL" crazy yet, but Zeta is where the weird naming begins, I think.
To be fair, I only really include Paptimus Scirocco because the name is a mouthful.

Super Kamille Galaxy.
And he's a little shit, but I'll be damned if I don't see why. Also, Bright needs to get his pimp hand swinging at some of these fools.

also if they keep "foreshadowing" Char i swear i will scream so hard

Haha, have you seen Destiny? 'Cuz Char's identity in this is downright incognito compared to that show's Char.

And while I'm a fan of Super Zeta Galaxy, I can see why some would not be. FWIW, this is what Zeta's actual OP sounds like.

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 1 - 11:
Kamille goes from decent pilot to obnoxious child almost every 5 minutes, and I think that's fine for now. The character cast is not nearly as good as on Mobile Suit Gundam, but Char Vagina is a really interesting take on a character I found great on the original series. The Gundam designs have been pretty swell so far, and the art looks good too.
I'll be giving it a few more episodes before I make my decision for it.

also ugh kamilles girl friend is a terrible character sweet christ

And while I'm a fan of Super Zeta Galaxy, I can see why some would not be. FWIW, this is what Zeta's actual OP sounds like.
After 11 episodes, Super Zeta Galaxy is ranking rather high on my Opening Theme list. lol
I see why so many of you dig it.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Duckroll ends up cutting exia's leg back off again due to diabetes

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 1 - 11:
Kamille goes from decent pilot to obnoxious child almost every 5 minutes, and I think that's fine for now. The character cast is not nearly as good as on Mobile Suit Gundam, but Char Vagina is a really interesting take on a character I found great on the original series. The Gundam designs have been pretty swell so far, and the art looks good too.
I'll be giving it a few more episodes before I make my decision for it.

also ugh kamilles girl friend is a terrible character sweet christ

After 11 episodes, Super Zeta Galaxy is ranking rather high on my Opening Theme list. lol
I see why so many of you dig it.

Who, Fa? I feel you there. I didn't think Fa became a truly good character until ZZ Gundam.

Luckily for you, Fa is just one of the several hundred girlfriends Kamille will have in this show! Also I recommend sticking it out until Hong Kong, which is when the show starts to pick up in my eyes.

The current project is that they're making a 4-part adaptation of the Char and Sayla segment in Origin. So that's all we'll be getting for the next couple of years.

I don't think there's enough story to do four hour long volumes of that alone unless they stretch things out a lot.

Blader

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up changing their tune during production and spend one or two of the later episodes on material beyond the Char/Sayla stuff.

Unless this is all leading up to a full-blown 0079 remake for the 40th anniversary...which we all expected from Origin in the first place. :lol

RangerBAD

The current project is that they're making a 4-part adaptation of the Char and Sayla segment in Origin. So that's all we'll be getting for the next couple of years.

They're going to spend that much time on the beginnings of Char or is it the original Gundam from his point of view?

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up changing their tune during production and spend one or two of the later episodes on material beyond the Char/Sayla stuff.

Unless this is all leading up to a full-blown 0079 remake for the 40th anniversary...which we all expected from Origin in the first place. :lol

Yeah, it all seemed like we were getting a series.

CorvoSol

Ditto. I hated Zeta overall to be frank but the Hong Kong segment was when things got interesting.

I was very disappointed with Zeta the first time through, but I'm enjoying it more the second time around; in Japanese, and with the knowledge that some characters are bound to suck (RECCOA, KATZ, FUCKING BELTORCHIKA) while others will be pretty cool (Fuckin' Emma Sheen, bitches.)

Zeta is also Char's best MS. I don't dislike the Sazabi, Zaku or Gelgoog (I don't like the Zeong and I'm not sorry about that.) but the Hyaku Shiki is one of the coolest Semi-quasi-not Gundams in the whole of Gundam. Right up there with the Tallgeese and Virgo lines.

duckroll

Don't these theatrical OVAs/pseudo-movies usually run around 50+ minutes? Not just Gundam but other recent stuff like Ghost in the Shell, Broken Blade, etc.

Yeah they're usually about 50 minutes at least. They've definitely been getting longer of late, probably because Bandai wants to push more perceived value into each entry when they take so long to release each one. Akito 3 might be over an hour long considering how they delayed it again recently, lol.

But I think looking at what this project is, they might have a shorter runtime and pace each episode closer: 45-50 mins, instead of an hour, maybe 4-5 months between episodes instead of 6-8 months. Considering how the Chary/Sayla story is over 400 pages, I think they might -just- be able to make it into four double length episodes. It's certainly not unusual to see manga adaptations average at 40-50 pages per 23 minute episode.

I was very disappointed with Zeta the first time through, but I'm enjoying it more the second time around; in Japanese, and with the knowledge that some characters are bound to suck (RECCOA, KATZ, FUCKING BELTORCHIKA) while others will be pretty cool (Fuckin' Emma Sheen, bitches.)

Zeta is also Char's best MS. I don't dislike the Sazabi, Zaku or Gelgoog (I don't like the Zeong and I'm not sorry about that.) but the Hyaku Shiki is one of the coolest Semi-quasi-not Gundams in the whole of Gundam. Right up there with the Tallgeese and Virgo lines.

Char Zaku is awesome. And I've grown to love the Sazabi as well. The Nightingale can piss off though.

Best Char suit is his Rick Dom though.

Enron

Banned
The nightmare has come to an end! Exia-chan is no longer a cripple! I can finally move on to panel lining and.... err.... applying the extra stickers. Soooo not looking forward to those tiny ass stickers. >_<

Still not digging those plated blades. Still think those should be sanded off and painted instead.

CorvoSol

Zeon suits are just too fat.

I kinda think Zeon suits were okay. Federation suits all feel really Square, whereas Zeon kinda had this bulky, overarmored knight thing going on. Titans suits are what I'm not a fan of. They look sort of weird and monstrous. Like bugs, but without the bug eyes that would be popular in Cosmo Babylonia and Zanscare Empire.

Still, weirdest MSes in UC goes to either Jupiter Empire or the Lunarians.

I mean, Zanscare was fucking insane, but what the Hell was the Jupiter on?

And the WaDom is still completely bizarre.

Note that I don't think the Diona or WaDom are bad designs, just REALLY weird. Bad designs are Zanscare and AGE designs. Well, except for those brief few designs during AGE-2 that were okay.

Man, I really want a Hyaku Shiki. So many Gunpla, so little cash.

Be aware of the HGUC Hyaku Shiki, Corvo. It's not a terrible kit, and the gold plating is pretty cool, but I dunno. It feels pretty cheap to me.

What makes you think they'll be an hour long?

Just assuming that they'll be similar in length to the Unicorn OAVs. Even if they're forty or fifty minutes, I just don't see there being enough material to do more than three OAVs. There's just not much more than that material.

I assume, from what we've seen, that the series will employ flashbacks as story structure, with scenes from early in the One Year War serving as the connective tissue between the bulk of the story. Let's say episode 1 is
The assassination of Zeon Deikun up until Char and Sayla escape from Side 3
, with scenes from the Battle of Loum providing some nice action stuff for mecha fanboys. Then episode 2 would be
Char and Sayla living on Earth, the assassination attempt and they escape and live in Texas Colony, ending with Char heading back to the principality.
Episode 3
would conclude the series with Char's time at the academy and then working under Kycilia
. That's the natural structure, IMO...

CorvoSol

Kinda want a Mark II, too, for Emma's sake. Just can't decide if the G-Defenser is the way to go, or the Titans colors. Since I have no spending money I have lots of time to decide!

Hey, guys. Hey.
Gundam VS. Gundam Next Plus for the PSP?
It's preeeeeetty good.

Anyone here own the Shining Gundam MG? I saw a video with the SHINING FINGER and I needs to have it. It's between this dude, the Build Strike MG, the RX-78-2 MG, or the Gundam 00 Normal MG.

Beth Cyra

Hey, guys. Hey.
It's preeeeeetty good.

Anyone here own the Shining Gundam MG? I saw a video with the SHINING FINGER and I needs to have it. It's between this dude, the Build Strike MG, the RX-78-2 MG, or the Gundam 00 Normal MG.

Gundam OO doesn't have a Normal MG. To get OO you have to buy the Raiser or the Seven Sword/G. The HG 1/144 and No Grade 1/100 both have a stand alone OO Gundam.

Shining Gundam isn't bad from what I've seen, I own God Gundam and they are very similar given the frame design.

MG Build Strike and Raiser are with out doubt better Models then Shining Gundam, but given it's age it still holds up very well all things considered.

Next Plus is pretty freaking great. Easily the best version of Wing Zero EW, I love how they have him set up in the game.

Gundam OO doesn't have a Normal MG. To get OO you have to buy the Raiser or the Seven Sword/G. The HG 1/144 and No Grade 1/100 both have a stand alone OO Gundam.

Shining Gundam isn't bad from what I've seen, I own God Gundam and they are very similar given the frame design.

MG Build Strike and Raiser are with out doubt better Models then Shining Gundam, but given it's age it still holds up very well all things considered.

Next Plus is pretty freaking great. Easily the best version of Wing Zero EW, I love how they have him set up in the game.
Yeah, my bad! It's Gundam Age Normal Mode MG. I haven't gotten that far in the series, so I got them confused. lol

Beth Cyra

Yeah, my bad! It's Gundam Age Normal Mode MG. I haven't gotten that far in the series, so I got them confused. lol

Ah okay I see.

The same thing for the others apply but when it comes to AGE -1 Normal it's actually a pretty good MG, it's build system is very blockish/segmented so it makes for an interesting build with how everything goes together.

Plus MG Age -1 is really cheap too, so you really can't go wrong with it if you actually like the design or want to collect the leads in 1/100.

Ah okay I see.

The same thing for the others apply but when it comes to AGE -1 Normal it's actually a pretty good MG, it's build system is very blockish/segmented so it makes for an interesting build with how everything goes together.

Plus MG Age -1 is really cheap too, so you really can't go wrong with it if you actually like the design or want to collect the leads in 1/100.
Alright, so it's a pretty decent build, then? Since this is my first MG, I kinda wanted to get a fun model, so I think it might as well be this one. lol

KiraFA37

Hey, guys. Hey.
It's preeeeeetty good.

LIES! It is awesome. It is the (indirect) killer of my PSP. Still waiting for a Gundam Vs game for my Vita...

Beth Cyra

Alright, so it's a pretty decent build, then? Since this is my first MG, I kinda wanted to get a fun model, so I think it might as well be this one. lol

Yeah the AGE-1 is a good model kit.

In fact it has only a few downsides. The spoiler on the back doesn't hold in all that great, so it can come out if bumped.

The thump is articulated but the hands are manipulater switch hands instead of 3 finger/trigger spilt or Emotion hands.

The inner detail isn't on the level of something like Gundam 3.0 but higher then the GAT or XXXG line of MG's.

Also the build is fairly simple. The MG's for AGE, XXXG, and GAT are clearly designed with the intent of being beginner kits and are very friendly to new builders or those coming from HG's.

CorvoSol

Gundam GAF, I'm really digging Gundam Breaker, and I wanted to ask about Dynasty Gundam Warriors Reborn real quick. Do we know if the Euro retail entails a Vita release in Europe, too? Cuz if it does I wanna import that. Kinda blows that I can't get it for Vita in America, but that's life, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom