• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaeger

I need this to be mine! I'm seriously going to try and imitate this, soon.

UXsTWSD.jpg

sC9bcRL.jpg

iKNZKoV.jpg

ArK4HGU.jpg
http://www.gunplamodify.info/2014/04/mg-strike-freedom.html

Aizo

Banned
Turn A Gundam - 05
Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but I'm very confused about character motivations. What is Loran doing?
Who knows who he really is? It seems like when he goes into battle in the Turn A, people who have met him don't know he's piloting it? He's acting as a spy for the Moonrace, right? And yet, he agreed to go along with plans to kidnap Diana?

Please, someone explain.

Turn A Gundam - 05
Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but I'm very confused about character motivations. What is Loran doing?
Who knows who he really is? It seems like when he goes into battle in the Turn A, people who have met him don't know he's piloting it? He's acting as a spy for the Moonrace, right? And yet, he agreed to go along with plans to kidnap Diana?

Please, someone explain.

Loran was sent down as a kind of scout while the Moonrace finalize their plans for a return Earth. While on Earth, he basically went native, so to speak. He's still loyal to the moon, or at least Diana, but really he's trying to prevent a war from fully breaking out since he likes both sides.

He knows fully well what the moonrace are capable of, technologically, and knows they can easily wipe out Iglasia's turn of the 19th century weaponry in an instant. So he's acting as a deterrent, balancing the scales a bit.

Has your daughter had any exposure to Gundam yet?

I introduced my nephew to Gundam at an early age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16mtnBgfZAk

She knows they're robots (and refers to them as such), and she helped me build some little SD Gundam figures I got in Japan in April. That's about it. She's going to "help" me build a Bearguy III for her room this summer.

In her mind, the OG 0079 Gundam is the "Daddy robot" since she has seen the picture of me in front of the 1:1 Gundam outside Diver City.

BE657B57-2566-46A2-B2C3-0238D29FC882.jpg

edit: Wait, she did see me play some SRWZ3 once. She kept asking where the red robot went... ie. it was destroyed...

She's two, didn't really breach the subject of "Daddy's robot destroyed the other one" yet.

Yeah, that's a little too young.

I watched all of Build Fighters with my nephew. I'm trying to teach him some Japanese, so it helped. Plus it's a more kid-friendly show, minor fanservice moments aside.

CorvoSol

She knows they're robots (and refers to them as such), and she helped me build some little SD Gundam figures I got in Japan in April. That's about it. She's going to "help" me build a Bearguy III for her room this summer.

In her mind, the OG 0079 Gundam is the "Daddy robot" since she has seen the picture of me in front of the 1:1 Gundam outside Diver City.

1. That's adorable.

2. As of Build Fighters I think we can just all agree that the RX-78-2 is the daddy robot. When you're promoted to Grampa in the future you will be allowed to choose between the Master Gundam and the Gouf as your upgrades.

2. As of Build Fighters I think we can just all agree that the RX-78-2 is the daddy robot. When you're promoted to Grampa in the future you will be allowed to choose between the Gouf and the Gouf as your upgrades.
Just wanted to fix that to make it easier on him.

I have to agree on the adorable, though.
RX-78-2 is now officially the "Daddy Robot" kit.

It's pretty cool how she differentiates them. Votom? Robot. Nu Gundam? Robot. Evangelion? Robot. RX-78-2? Daddy Robot. Doesn't matter if it's that picture, a figure, or a shot from the anime.

I've been re-reading passages of the Gundam novel, and I found this passage to be pretty funny. Says a lot about the Federation and foreshadows Zeta Gundam.

"Along the way Sayla occasionally spotted physical files that someone else had discarded, so she stopped to eitehr pour acid on them or burn them. It was technically someone else's job but she didn't want to take any chances. If any documents survived and the test site supervisor found out, Sayla's entire unit could be slapped around, and she didn't want that. She wasn't about to give the military, which seemed to love corporal punishments like slapping and spanking, any excuse to apply its fetish to civilians like herself."

PhiLonius

I've been re-reading passages of the Gundam novel, and I found this passage to be pretty funny. Says a lot about the Federation and foreshadows Zeta Gundam.

"Along the way Sayla occasionally spotted physical files that someone else had discarded, so she stopped to eitehr pour acid on them or burn them. It was technically someone else's job but she didn't want to take any chances. If any documents survived and the test site supervisor found out, Sayla's entire unit could be slapped around, and she didn't want that. She wasn't about to give the military, which seemed to love corporal punishments like slapping and spanking, any excuse to apply its fetish to civilians like herself."

This is from the Awakening, Escalation, Confrontation book, right? There were so many little inadvertently funny moments in that book. The one about Amuro, Sayla, and the amulet killed me.

CorvoSol

Just wanted to fix that to make it easier on him.

I have to agree on the adorable, though.
RX-78-2 is now officially the "Daddy Robot" kit.

I don't know, man. The Master Gundam is a pretty great Grampa suit. Ral and the Gouf are God tier, yes, but Master and the Master are, too.

I don't know, man. The Master Gundam is a pretty great Grampa suit. Ral and the Gouf are God tier, yes, but Master and the Master are, too.
...Yeah, you're right.
Still, the Gouf is blue!
BLUE!

Gundam Zeta Suit Mobile Whatever 12:
Damn, this show is getting good. The Earth Federation went from annoying people with a good goal to asshats with a goal, maybe?
All I know is that Vageeeeeena's mobile suit is way too cool for school.

Jaeger

After 2+ months my HLJ order is finally coming in tomorrow. Oh god I pray I don't get hit with random brokerage fees, googling online all I hear is nightmare stories.

094730oelydg27g8dw21bd.jpg

I think I wanna steal this colour scheme for my Delta Plus. So hawt.

That paint job! So beautiful.

Another beauty I came across, I'm in love with this one. Between the Freedom/Strike Freedom, and the Frame Arms model I plan on doing, a Nu Gundam is at the top of my list now!
http://blog.naver.com/PostThumbnail...o=40158634428&categoryNo=&parentCategoryNo=6#

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Beth Cyra

So I gots to get a cheap HG model to try airbrusing with while following this guide:
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1Tr8UyF2Xg5Ojqw0sxcO7oIG7IIsJPes3lMO5pHZKu5o

What do you guys recommend for a beginner airbrusher?
(I'm still getting that Age MG ASAP. lol)

I've heard people argue, and I agree with them that the absolute best thing to learn to paint on are SD Kits.

Find a suit you really like and order an SD or two. All of them NEED paint, and they are both cheap and can look great with a bit of work.

It's a great tool to learn, and some of them BB Hi-Nu and Wing Gundam actually have some parts that you do need to try with when painting to make them look good, so they can be challenging and make you a better painter.

Scavenger

So I gots to get a cheap HG model to try airbrusing with while following this guide:
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1Tr8UyF2Xg5Ojqw0sxcO7oIG7IIsJPes3lMO5pHZKu5o

What do you guys recommend for a beginner airbrusher?
(I'm still getting that Age MG ASAP. lol)
The HGCE Aile Strike Gundam is a cheap and easy to build kit with great color separation which makes painting not that hard. Some parts need a bit more attention when painting though, like the feet, the shield and the wings, but it's easy to paint those parts with a handbrush or masking tape+airbrush.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
My MG came in, alongside some gunpla I ordered for a friend.

I didn't expect the box to exactly be the size of two HG boxes.

Also Fedex hit me with >$20 in brokerage fees, so I'm gonna get my money's worth with this.

Jaeger

Also Fedex hit me with >$20 in brokerage fees, so I'm gonna get my money's worth with this.

What models did you get? Master Grade is my favorite scale!

Ken

MG box sizes can be pretty varied depending on the suit. My Jesta box is pretty much a small shoe box size, while my ReGZ, Zeta Plus, and Build Strike are much wider and longer.

CorvoSol

Zeta Gundam 32

So I'm kinda confused. I get that within the narrative Reccoa betrays the Argama and AEUG for the Titans because she doesn't get the affection/sexual satisfaction she needs from them, but on the other hand, she's fantasizing about Paptimus as if he had been loving to her when in fact he smacked her and was very, very threatening, whereas Char actually did respond to her advances. People cite Char's failure to reciprocate as both a reason Reccoa leaves and a sign of his only being attracted to teenage girls, but none of that makes sense because Char DOES reciprocate. Shit, he initiates. Reccoa comes up to him and he has his hand on the booty within seconds. He's the one who kisses her, too. She might not feel anything from that, but I see no way of saying that it is Char's fault, nor that Char isn't attracted to her physically.

Course the "Char only likes teenage girls!" thing is bunk anyway when you stop and look at it for like, ten seconds. Char's relationship with Lalah parallels Amuro's with Sayla, but that's the last time Char's interested in a girl who is significantly younger. He pays no sexual attention to Fa, nor to Emma (and mind you there are other men aboard the Radish and the Argama who are completely willing to overlook Emma being 16), and instead Char's chemistry is all devoted to Reccoa and Haman in Zeta. Haman is younger than Char, but by no means a teenaged girl. Then in the movie it's all "OH NO CHAR WANTS QUESS!" but he kinda sorta has himself an age appropriate girlfriend, so IDK.

I digress, though. If Char is distracted and not mentally reciprocating to Reccoa, I'd say it's because people have suddenly asked him to step up and lead the AEUG's military powers, and because he has the immense task of negotiating with Haman Khan and Axis (even though he murdered numerous Zabis and is sort of a traitor to the Zeon) all hanging on his head.

Blader

I remember someone somewhere made a semi-convincing argument about why Reccoa's heel turn re: Char and the lack of attention being paid to her womanhood made some sort of sense...

But I really didn't buy it and think she's just one of those badly written female characters Tomino used to specialize in back then.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Emma is in her 20s I thought. Closer in age to Reccoa than Fa.

CorvoSol

Emma is in her 20s I thought. Closer in age to Reccoa than Fa.

Wait WHAT. I could've sworn Emma was a teenager like Kamille. I've spent all this time thinking the captain of the Radish was a lech for hitting on her.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT GUNDAM WIKI SAYS SHE'S 24.

WHAT THE FUCK.

I need to go lie down.

NEO0MJ

MG box sizes can be pretty varied depending on the suit. My Jesta box is pretty much a small shoe box size, while my ReGZ, Zeta Plus, and Build Strike are much wider and longer.

The MG boxes for mobile suits from G Gundam were so tiny.

NEO0MJ

Is that what he got? I've never seen the proper MG G Gundams in person, only the no grades.

I'm not sure what Enzo bought, just commenting about how varied MG box size can be. So far the biggest box I ever saw was for The O, it even had a handle bar!

PhiLonius

Finished rewatching SEED not too long ago and just started rewatching Destiny.

Don't think I'll post on it too much because just after watching that first episode all I want to do is tear it down and question a lot of things within it.

The hate is strong.

Ken

oh man, watching a zaku tragically burn up during re-entry into earth, and then having the scene change to amuro calmly flipping through the gundam manual got me good

Aizo

Banned
Loran was sent down as a kind of scout while the Moonrace finalize their plans for a return Earth. While on Earth, he basically went native, so to speak. He's still loyal to the moon, or at least Diana, but really he's trying to prevent a war from fully breaking out since he likes both sides.

He knows fully well what the moonrace are capable of, technologically, and knows they can easily wipe out Iglasia's turn of the 19th century weaponry in an instant. So he's acting as a deterrent, balancing the scales a bit.
I think I understand? I'm still confused about what the Moonrace thinks he's doing when they see the Turn A fighting against them.

CorvoSol

I think I understand? I'm still confused about what the Moonrace thinks he's doing when they see the Turn A fighting against them.

I'm not sure that the Moonrace knows it IS him early on. There's that whole "Laura Rola" thing going on where Guin claims that the White Doll's pilot is a woman. And then there's the whole
"I am Moon Race and I defected to the Earth Race for the sake of peace!"

Early on Loran is almost as good at fooling people regarding his identity and allegiance as
Kihel and Dianna are at fooling people about their identities later on.

NEO0MJ

Early on Loran is almost as good at fooling people regarding his identity and allegiance as
Kihel and Dianna are at fooling people about their identities later on.

I think Kihel and Dianna are just as good at fooling themselves about their own identity as they are fooling others.

Andrew J.

Wait WHAT. I could've sworn Emma was a teenager like Kamille. I've spent all this time thinking the captain of the Radish was a lech for hitting on her.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT GUNDAM WIKI SAYS SHE'S 24.

WHAT THE FUCK.

I need to go lie down.

I had so much trouble even telling Emma and Reccoa apart early on, it's hard to imagine how there could be an appreciable difference in their ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom