• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

MAJOR SPOILARZ: I hated Hathaway even more but then I heard
he basically gets executed after becoming some sort of criminal later on. Excellent.

It's even worse than that.

just before he dies, Hathaway sees Quess' ghost, who taunts him, calls him an idiot, and says she never loved him.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oh, I see. So, it's a hit or miss when dealing with this. Damn, I thought toys are duty free and I just need to pay for sales tax. How about SAL? Did you heard anything good on that shipping option?

Yeah, I saw that site. I read that it has a warehouse in Canada and you wouldn't worry for any import taxes since it will ship within Canada. The only I problem I have with that store is all/most the gunpla I want (MG Strike Freedom Full Burst and MG Destiny Gundam Full Blast) are out of stock. Bummer :/
I don't think so. I think the Fedex paper said "reduced scale model" or something, so it probably gets checked as not being a toy. I could've swore I ordered something via SAL before but I can't remember so I won't speak on it.

And yeah, HLJ allowing you to reserve items for when they restock is a huge advantage, otherwise they pretty much only ever have <10 things actually in stock at any given time. And because you're ordering 2 MGs, it'll probably kill you with the shipping, and you'll get hit with something close to what I got hit with, considering my box size was about what'd fit two MGs.

Protag

Banned
The menus for the G UC blu rays are weird, they wont let me access it during play, and only the credits roll. Strange programming

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Clinging to the hope that because we don't see their bodies disintegrate on screen that means they're still out there.

No body, no death. Never assume someone's dead in fiction until they show you the body.
That scene in Unicorn didn't just confirm the deaths, it crushed their hopes.

It just always seemed funny to me how many people seemed to ignore who made it when thinking like this.

Tomino is most notorious for two things: Killing off major characters and consistently trying to end Gundam forever.

but with CCA he wasn't trying to do either one for some reason

I see newtypes get compared to autistic people all the time, and frankly it's an incorrect comparison if ever there was one. They're like polar opposites.

While autistic people have difficult picking up cues that could alert them to other's emotional states due to lacking theory of mind, newtypes are acutely aware of others thoughts and feelings.

Turin

Banned
I see newtypes get compared to autistic people all the time, and frankly it's an incorrect comparison if ever there was one. They're like polar opposites.

While autistic people have difficult picking up cues that could alert them to other's emotional states due to lacking theory of mind, newtypes are acutely aware of others thoughts and feelings.

Interesting. That sounds like Will Graham.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I finally finish building my first gunpla, all hand paint except for primer:

uEDUtho.jpg

jnYfO1A.jpg

Before the paint:

I made a f tons of mistake, including over spraying the primer, so the paint is thick as heck. I need to cut off someone the joint and glue it instead. Some paint is falling off here and there (due to my finger pushing the parts together). Screw up most of the panel lining (I suck at panel wash, and no way to remove gundammarker mistake without destroying the paint). Some sanding mistake, some cutting mark on plastic, etc etc.. I also sealed the paint with some dust on the model.

Did I mention it took at least 10 layers of thinned paint to do white over gray primer?

Overall I am still very proud of the paint job. It is a good thing I start with this $5 model before destroying a master grade. I learned a lot. The whole project took me 2 weeks, mostly due to stupid mistake, missing supplies, and doing research.

Next project for me is this, this time I will hand brush the primer instead of using a can, I really don't have the patient or skill to spray a thin layer.

Based on number of parts.... see you guys in 8 months?

RangerBAD

And strangely they're terribly unperceptive off the battlefield. It's a common shounen protagonist's trait to be dense to the opposite sex's interest in them. Amuro misses out on Frau Bow for that very reason. He stumbles into a thing with Sayla and two more women before he's KIA. Char on the other hand seems to have no interest in women other than to manipulate them except for Lalah and he planned to use her at first too.

Social ineptitude isn't autism for sure.

Beth Cyra

I just finished the HGAC Wing Gundam Zero.

I got to say I know opinons are just that opinions. However I find it almost insanity that one could possibly think this is a better design then Proto Zero.

The proportions on Wing Zero are SOOOOOO BAD, I don't think I've ever seen an uglier Gundam when it comes to it's shoulders

I just finished the HGAC Wing Gundam Zero.

I got to say I know opinons are just that opinions. However I find it almost insanity that one could possibly think this is a better design then Proto Zero.

The proportions on Wing Zero are SOOOOOO BAD, I don't think I've ever seen an uglier Gundam when it comes to it's shoulders
Take pics! :D

Finished panel-lining the Build Strike and just applied some glue to the Blue Piece of Shit that it comes with. Hopefully it'll stick how I want it to. :/

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I just finish the upper body of Rx-98-2, only took 5 hours. I felt so cheated, you can't even see 70% of the parts that I sand and assemble.

On the other hand, just by the look of it, master grade will very easy to paint. There are no seam lines to glue/putty, I am really impress with the construction. Each individual color is its own part, it will require nearly no masking. Panel lining will be a bitch tho :(

MG is a lot smaller than I expected, I don't think I can ever build a RG, just the small parts will drive me crazy.

Beth Cyra

Take pics! :D

Finished panel-lining the Build Strike and just applied some glue to the Blue Piece of Shit that it comes with. Hopefully it'll stick how I want it to. :/
Ill take some in the morning.

I also finished the HGFC Shining Gundam. I got to say the color separation is really disappointing, good over all kit but still.

Also between Wing Zero and Shining Gundam have AWFUL waist joints, to shallow so they fall apart way to easily at the stomach.

Beth Cyra

Which non-waltz Wing Zero do you guys recommend buying?
Robot Damashii is easily the best Wing Zero TV ever made.

1/100 High Grade is TRASH
1/144 90's No Grade is pretty bad as well.

HGAC Wing Zero is a pretty good little model.

1/60 No Grade is actually not that bad and I'd say thebest model form of Wing Zero TV out of all the 90's kits.

Turin

Banned
Robot Damashii is easily the best Wing Zero TV ever made.

1/100 High Grade is TRASH
1/144 90's No Grade is pretty bad as well.

HGAC Wing Zero is a pretty good little model.

1/60 No Grade is actually not that bad and I'd say thebest model form of Wing Zero TV out of all the 90's kits.

I looked at pictures of it but there's certain things I don't like....

I was gonna go with this one.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EOEB908/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Alright, so, HGUC Sinanju Titanium Finish, without weapons.

The way I first went at it was by simply trying to paint the gold details using Tamiya's Gold Leaf marker. I stopped that as soon as the marker touched the first part (I used the right hand's inner wrist as a testbed). That marker has a tip half the size of my thumb and the paint flow is generous to say the least. What happened was that all the sleeves detail was completely drowned in beautiful golden paint and after trying to wash it clean under the sink the whole part was covered in gold. So I then took the black Gundam panel liner
yes, panel liner
to paint the necessary details back in.

After that dumb shit happened I thought to invest in a brush. I found a nice tiny brush (synthetic, if that matters) in a shop and used that to proceed painting. Just press the marker down on your paint mixing plate or whatever and you're good to go. Things went better, paint distribution was more even and all I had to do then was just to use the panel liner to cover up the mistakes. It makes some of the parts look really weird in photos. Like on the chestpiece you can still see a lot of gold paint where you really can't with the naked eye.

What I'm saying is that if you have easy access to good hobby stores then do it the way Enron did it.

My experimental fucking around is not what this kit deserves. I fucked up the shield the most and will have to make some more passes with the panel liner on that.

As far as HGs go I think this one is so amazing. The titanium coating is totally worth the money, even if it does leave some gnarly cutmarks. But fuck those piss yellow stickers - this kit needs to be painted and I definitely am glad I did. I'm 100% certain that it looks far better than it would with those trash tier stickers.

Beth Cyra

I looked at pictures of it but there's certain things I don't like....

I was gonna go with this one.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EOEB908/?tag=neogaf0e-20
That is easily the best quality Wing Zero Bandai has ever released.

I just didnt mention it because its part of the new Endless Waltz manga so I didn't know if that one was a no go for you.

The build is really easy, very beginner friendly and it lacks some inner detail (chest doesn't hardly have any) that said its got some great features as well.

Also this Wing Zero can actually hold the Twin Buster Rifle when combined in one hand. Zero EW has a heart attack even thinking about that.

Chinner

Banned
That is easily the best quality Wing Zero Bandai has ever released.

I judgement mention it because its part of the new Endless Waltz manga so I didn't know if that one was a no go for you.

The build is really easy, very beginner friendly and it lacks some inner detail (chest doesn't hardly have any) that said its got some great features as well.

Also this Wing Zero can actually hold the Twin Buster Rifle when combined in one hand. Zero EW has a heart attack even thinking about that.

it's a good kit, i can confirm. i had a lot of fun with it but shamefully my painting skills let it down :(

Beth Cyra

it's a good kit, i can confirm. i had a lot of fun with it but shamefully my painting skills let it down :(
Its a fun quick build.

Shares that with Gundam X which was clearly made with the same mindset as Zero, including the weak waist (sadly X is 100x worse).

i need to get started on my unicorn titanium finish now ;_;

I will say that the cutmarks on Sinanju's white fuel tanks are negligible. Hopefully they're the same on Unicorn. I actually want that model too now, just to have them duking it out on my shelf. Will wait for one with blue psycoframe though.

Enron

Banned
bandai did a good job of engineering the sinanju's pieces to hide a bunch of sprue marks, imo. many of the joints to the sprue were very thin, also. which is more than i can say for that shitty Real Grade Exia.

NEO0MJ

How is the MG Sinanju anyways?

In what ways? I know it's considered one of the better kits. Still, you have to be careful handling it. If there was one thing I'd fault it about it's that it can't balance the beam-shield or the rifle very well.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
My dream is to one day get a job so I can afford the MG Titanium Sinanju.

I've generally heard bad things about Titanium models though, relating to the sprue marks specifically.

Tookay

I'm not sure that is what Tomino had in mind for the character at all.

Quess is there to show the dangers of being over-emotional, which is a re-occuring trend throughout Tomino's UC works (on both sides of the gender fence as well, not just women (take Katz or Jerid for example). Tomino is very careful to point out that people should embrace their emotions (after all, Newtypes are ALL about feeling, right?), but they shouldn't be ruled by them. A person should acknowledge how they feel, but keep themselves in check by staying logical. If you notice, the key to surviving UC Gundam is to maintain a cool head.

Furthermore, Quess is also there to demonstrate the dangers of hero worship. The people she tries to cling to in the story are both deeply flawed troubled men. Neither Amuro nor Char really care for her, though Char isn't above pretending to like her so he could manipulate her, leading to her death. It's a statement on the nature of "heroes" and "leadership" in general.

Yeah, I agree. She may not be a great character, but she serves a purpose in showing the fallout of Char/Amuro's conflict and the dangers of Newtype powers when one's emotions aren't controlled.

That Sinanju looks nice, didn't know the HG looked great for that as well.
Question about glass casing anyone know a decent glass case for HG and RG gundam sizes?

NEO0MJ

That Sinanju looks nice, didn't know the HG looked great for that as well.
Question about glass casing anyone know a decent glass case for HG and RG gundam sizes?

The only one I know of is the IKEA Detolf. There might be too much space between the rows for 1/144 kits but you can buy clear cubes and use them as stools to help showcase the kits in the back.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
As far as HGs go I think this one is so amazing. The titanium coating is totally worth the money, even if it does leave some gnarly cutmarks. But fuck those piss yellow stickers - this kit needs to be painted and I definitely am glad I did. I'm 100% certain that it looks far better than it would with those trash tier stickers.

Awesome paint job, did you use gloss red or flat red below the titanium finish?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hmm, I bought some gesso to use as acrylic primer, but it doesn't seem to be helping the paint adhere any more. What am I doing wrong? Are my acrylics too cheap? They don't appear that watery.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Hmm, I bought some gesso to use as acrylic primer, but it doesn't seem to be helping the paint adhere any more. What am I doing wrong? Are my acrylics too cheap? They don't appear that watery.

Are you hand printing or spraying? What color were you trying to do. In my experience hand brushing on top of primer white and red are the hardest color to get on.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Are you hand printing or spraying? What color were you trying to do. In my experience hand brushing on top of primer white and red are the hardest color to get on.
Hand-painting. White primer, trying to put on bright gold. Looks like I might only need 3 layers of gold, which is better I guess, but if I need like 1-2 layers of primer/gesso, it ends up being around the same amount of layers D;

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
lol. It's the Titanium coated Sinanju. It comes molded like that.

Ah I see. Thanks anyway.

Hand-painting. White primer, trying to put on bright gold. Looks like I might only need 3 layers of gold, which is better I guess, but if I need like 1-2 layers of primer/gesso, it ends up being around the same amount of layers D;

Primer only help your paint stick better, so it will have less peel and blister. The only time you will save paints is either you try to paint a lighter shade than the plastic (white paint on black plastic), or if the color is very close to the color of your primer.

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 1 - 50:
What.
Wait, what.
That's how the series ends? THAT'S HOW YOU DEAL WITH THIS STORY?
I can't even.
Nope.

Whatever.
So... what am I supposed to watch next? Should I go to ZZ, or do I move to something else?

What's the best Zeta Gundam model so far? I was interested in the RG one, but it seems way too fragile.
If you're the kind of guy who doesn't pose the kits a lot then you could go with the RG. It's a piece of shit but the build is interesting and the end result, when in a stable pose, looks really really cool.
Awesome paint job, did you use gloss red or flat red below the titanium finish?
I only painted the gold parts.

Wubby

Question:

Are any of the old Gundam Laserdiscs worth owning? I sometimes come across these things when I'm out at used shops but just don't know if any are worth it.

jZoa5jOPRRbjL.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom