• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBAD

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 1 - 50:
What.
Wait, what.
That's how the series ends? THAT'S HOW YOU DEAL WITH THIS STORY?
I can't even.
Nope.

Whatever.
So... what am I supposed to watch next? Should I go to ZZ, or do I move to something else?

MIND RAPE!
Go watch the Zeta movies if you want a different ending. It won't make as much sense when you watch ZZ though.

Beth Cyra

Alright so here are the images after my recent builds, sorry about the quality.

1c0M857l.jpg

This is Shining and Wing Gundam Zero. Both are good little model kits but both have very LARGE problems (well in my opinion).

You can see most of Zero's in this first picture, the shoulder are just way, way to large. It's not the head that just doesn't match but they don't match the body either, they're so big they need to be on a 18/19 meter Mobile Suit to balance them.

Shining faires much better when he is solo. Though his waist is very bad, it's way to shallow and the upper body pops off if you barely move it.

Another other issue with him is when he transforms he has very bad clown feet, anyone who has built Real Grade Destiny should have a good idea of what I'm talking about.

AqHYjj0l.jpg

Shining with his fellow starter Lead Wing, and here if you look closely you will start to see the big problem with Shining

JNvnUA8l.jpg

Shining with the Wing Gundam that should have shown up in G Gundam

oEt17Uil.jpg

Shining with Wing Gundam

Okay for those who can't see what I'm talking about Shining is taller then Wing Gundam. In fact Shining is taller then Wing Zero.

Forget the series and stories with these Gundam's and just look at the tech sheets. Shining Gundam is the shortest AU lead period(16.2 Meters Vs Wing's 16.3 and Zero's 16.7). However they've stretched both him and God so much that they are actually way taller then they should be and for people who want accurate Gunpla this is a huge turn off.

Just finished reading Crossbone Gundam. Amazing work. Tobia is one of the coolest protagonists in all of Gundam history. I definitely liked how the setting was in a whole different area of space than most Gundam series. I really want an anime adaptation of this.

Just finished reading Crossbone Gundam. Amazing work. Tobia is one of the coolest protagonists in all of Gundam history. I definitely liked how the setting was in a whole different area of space than most Gundam series. I really want an anime adaptation of this.
Yes, welcome to the Church of Tobia.

RangerBAD

I wish they would animate Crossbone too. It's really great. I think it's far too old for Sunrise to consider at this point.

Reknoc

yessssss warriors reborn let me save
emma
at the end of Zeta's story mode. it didn't reward me, or acknowledge it in anyway in fact looking at the gallery it seems to have punished me by having to go back and unlock the scene. But still, it's a small personal victory.

emma
at the end of Zeta's story mode. it didn't reward me, or acknowledge it in anyway in fact looking at the gallery it seems to have punished me by having to go back and unlock the scene. But still, it's a small personal victory.

I'm still debating picking up Gundam Reborn. Based on gameplay videos I've seen, it looked like they really half-assed it in comparison to DW Gundam 3. Especially getting rid of the cel-shaded visuals. But having actually played it, how do you feel about it?

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 1 - 50:
What.
Wait, what.
That's how the series ends? THAT'S HOW YOU DEAL WITH THIS STORY?
I can't even.
Nope.

Whatever.
So... what am I supposed to watch next? Should I go to ZZ, or do I move to something else?

I recommend ZZ. The first ten eps are meh, but i love the way it wraps up Zeta's loose ends, and I really like Judau and most of his friends. (Mondo, and to a lesser extent Beecha I dont care much for.)

Also, more Haman, which is never a bad thing. Also also, show has some cool mechs, like the ZZ, Queen Mantha and the Bawoo.

Protag

Banned
Anyone think it's be possible for Vertical to translate and publish Crossbone?

Abd also, are the sequels to Crossbone good in anyones opinion (skull heart, steel 7, Ghost)?

Depends what the licensing looks like. But if they were to do another Gundam manga, I would have to assume there would be a number of series in line first. I just started on the fourth volume of Gundam Origin and I'm loving it. They're really doing the series justice with these volumes. Even though they're a tad pricey, they're well worth it.

Protag

Banned
Depends what the licensing looks like. But if they were to do another Gundam manga, I would have to assume there would be a number of series in line first. I just started on the fourth volume of Gundam Origin and I'm loving it. They're really doing the series justice with these volumes. Even though they're a tad pricey, they're well worth it.

They're beautiful volumes, and im really glad im collecting them. I really cannot wait to read them (dont want to read them just yet).

I recommend ZZ. The first ten eps are meh, but i love the way it wraps up Zeta's loose ends, and I really like Judau and most of his friends. (Mondo, and to a lesser extent Beecha I dont care much for.)

Also, more Haman, which is never a bad thing. Also also, show has some cool mechs, like the ZZ, Queen Mantha and the Bawoo.
Alright, ZZ it is!
That one is not in English dub, is it?

CorvoSol

Yes. After Domon Tobia is probably the coolest Gundam protagonist. Love that finale.

What's the best Zeta Gundam model so far? I was interested in the RG one, but it seems way too fragile.

I have an HG Zeta and it seems fine. But I haven't really messed around with it since I built it. I kinda felt that the HGUC and HGBF lines were the best and most straightforward HGs I built. The old Wing kits are brittle and not very poseable. The HGFC sets I built were good, but like the GBF they were kinda more complicated than the UC ones, which I felt were really straightforward.

emma

Nice! The one survival I really wish Zeta had let happen.
Sorta wish Haman didn't bite it at the end of ZZ, but after the whole Dublin thing I can't say she didn't have it coming.

Alright, ZZ it is!
That one is not in English dub, is it?

Yeah, it never got translated into English. Judging from Zeta's English I think that's for the best. MSG had a good dub but Zeta's, bleh. I think only Char sounded good in Zeta in English. I actually really like the guy they had play him.

But yeah, ZZ is in Japanese. Also skip the first episode because it's half recap of Zeta and half preview of ZZ.

Kwixotik

I finally finished building my HG AGE-1 and did the panel lining for all non-white parts. I ordered a gray marker to do the white details, but it won't get here til Tuesday. Overall it looks pretty good, I think.

Blader

Yeah, it never got translated into English. Judging from Zeta's English I think that's for the best. MSG had a good dub but Zeta's, bleh. I think only Char sounded good in Zeta in English. I actually really like the guy they had play him.

But yeah, ZZ is in Japanese. Also skip the first episode because it's half recap of Zeta and half preview of ZZ.

I agree, I had no idea he wasn't Michael Kopsa for a while. Though Zeta had a couple other good English VAs too -- Bright and maybe Emma. Not many though. :lol

CorvoSol

I agree, I had no idea he wasn't Michael Kopsa for a while. Though Zeta had a couple other good English VAs too -- Bright and maybe Emma. Not many though. :lol

Char is the only one who stands out, but I suppose Bright wasn't bad, either. I kind of prefer UC in Japanese for continuity of voice actors now, though.

EDIT: Just remembered a nitpick I have with Char's Counterattack. It's not major, but I really dislike the use of Star Wars sound effects both for beam sabers and for beam rifles in that film. It's sort of out of place when Gundam already has its own recognizable sound effects for those weapons.

Kwixotik

Pictures or it never happened. :p

Haha, alright. As I said, no panel lines on the white sections yet. My camera is taking grainy-ass photos tonight and my house is kind of dark, so the pictures aren't the best quality but here they are. First pic has a smudge on his arm, that's just a fingerprint. Top view looks like he's got a white break-mark on top of his chest, but that's light reflection.

Edit: My girlfriend just told me she wants me to build her Freedom, so I guess RG Freedom is my next project

EDIT: Just remembered a nitpick I have with Char's Counterattack. It's not major, but I really dislike the use of Star Wars sound effects both for beam sabers and for beam rifles in that film. It's sort of out of place when Gundam already has its own recognizable sound effects for those weapons.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this.

Speaking of odd sound changes, Side Stories uses a totally different sound for all MS's boosters. Irritating.

CorvoSol

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this.

Speaking of odd sound changes, Side Stories uses a totally different sound for all MS's boosters. Irritating.

It's really jarring because half the time in the movie they don't use the sampled sound effects from Star Wars, and the other half of the time they do. On a list of things I would like a remastered CCA to do, that tops the list, I think.

Unicorn 3

Rewatching this to finish out my rerun of UC. Thoughts:

1) Unicorn and Sinanju so sexy.
2) I cannot think of enough epithets to hurl at Riddhe. Man, what an unlikeable character!
3) BANAGHEE
4) I really get the feeling that nobody outside of Banaghee's friend knows jack fuck about Universal Century history, no matter how recent. Like, at one point Micott's all "Gundam?" and Takuya has to explain to her what they are. Like there haven't been numerous Gundams since the One Year War involved in every major political upheaval. At another point Riddhe seems upset that a kid is piloting the Gundam. As if the overwhelming majority of well-known Gundam pilots haven't been kids like Banaghee. And then the Nahel Argama's crew is all "Oh no can we possibly challenge this one meteor with just the Nahel Argama?" as if the Nahel Argama hadn't marched in alone to Core-3.
5) Dat Marida Cruz, though. What a character! Easily the best character in Unicorn in my eyes.

Ken

micott's like 16, bro

also it's probably a way to help ease newer viewers in without any or much gundam background into the show

Unicorn 3

4) I really get the feeling that nobody outside of Banaghee's friend knows jack fuck about Universal Century history, no matter how recent. Like, at one point Micott's all "Gundam?" and Takuya has to explain to her what they are. Like there haven't been numerous Gundams since the One Year War involved in every major political upheaval.

These people are basically similae to kids who were born the year after ww2 ended. Gryps and the neo zeon wars are much smaller conflicts more akin to the korean war and vietnam.

How many kids do you know are familar with military history and technology, anyway? I mean yeah theyd be able to identify vehicles as tanks or fighter planes, but can they tell you specific models? Probably not.

CorvoSol

These people are basically similae to kids who were born the year after ww2 ended. Gryps and the neo zeon wars are much smaller conflicts more akin to the korean war and vietnam.

How many kids do you know are familar with military history and technology, anyway? I mean yeah theyd be able to identify vehicles as tanks or fighter planes, but can they tell you specific models? Probably not.

Right, and if this was military history and tech of the blandest kind, I would fault no one, but

1) I'm talking Gundams. These things are so damn iconic in universe that, assuming Turn A's "everything is canon" stance, the Gundam's name and legend persists for eons. I'm not asking for kids to remember what the name of the plane that dropped the atom bomb was. I'm asking for kids to remember what the fuck an atom bomb or a sword is. Because the Gundam isn't just some special weapon that people don't know jack about. People know so much about the events of MSG that toy Haros were made.

2) I expect a show that begins with the children in a history lecture to have some understanding of recent history. A teenager today is expected to know the bare basics of 9/11. A kid in UC0095 should know what a Gundam was.

3) The other persons involved are military personnel aboard the Nahel Argama. They ought to know their own ship's capabilities! What's more confusing is that one cannot conclude that the events of ZZ are kept secret by a lazy, violent, and utterly corrupt Federation because people somehow know all about Glemy Toto's dabbling in cloning. The Newtype Battalion only saw action around the Battle of Axis, and there are a grand total of three known survivors of that group.
Marida, Puru Two, who died shortly thereafter, and the unnumbered Puru that Judau and Roux recover in EVOLVE.

But I guess this is just one of those cases where yeah, they needed to tell the audience things that had happened in the past, rather than pretending that the audience knew what was going on. It makes perfect sense from a story telling stand point, but it kinda makes some cast members look denser than they are.

In the meantime boy howdy were you right when you said Angelo is a Char fanboy stand-in. Dude hecka overreacts to Banagher's conversation with Full Frontal.

Reknoc

I'm still debating picking up Gundam Reborn. Based on gameplay videos I've seen, it looked like they really half-assed it in comparison to DW Gundam 3. Especially getting rid of the cel-shaded visuals. But having actually played it, how do you feel about it?

I think that the gameplay is probably my favourite from all the gundam DW's. They take some smart mechanics from Pirate Warriors 2 like being able to buy levels/skill points and being able to heal teammates. That said though, the content itself feels lacking like official mode is finally back so you don't have to grind out friendship points to get that series story mode (in fact I don't think there's any friendship grinding) but the series that actually have an official mode are woefully lacking. Haven't really done much with the ultimate mode but the presentation doesn't seem nearly as good as 2 and 3. It really does feel like a reboot with the roster of a sequel.

Also you can press square when choosing Loran to switch to Laura so GOAT

CorvoSol

So as I'm going through Unicorn, I've kinda been mulling this over in my head a bit. How differently would the history of the Universal Century have turned out if the end of ZZ had gone differently?

I mean, you could do that for any show, sure. What if the Zeon had won, what if the Titans had won, etc, but I mean this a bit more specifically, I guess. Like, you know how there are all those "What ifs" in comic books like "What if Jean Grey hadn't sacrificed herself and had gone Dark Phoenix again?" or "What if Palpatine had converted Luke?" And I kinda get that sorta itch to wonder about ZZ.

As in: How would things be different if:
- Judau had saved Haman and convinced her to join him?
-Haman had convinced Judau to join her?

Because throughout the show there are numerous points where the two of them come close to doing that to one another but an interruption occurs prior to that point. If Judau had joined Haman, I think there's really no reason to expect that Glemy could've gotten as far as he had, but it does make one wonder how CCA would've gone down. With Judau's last minute betrayal the Argama, abandoned by the federation as it was, would've gone down, leaving Axis/Neo Zeon in Haman's control. Since she didn't have the real Mineva, though, her claim to the throne was considerably weaker than Char's, and since the two didn't get on that well, I kinda wonder if Char would've fought her for control, or if the two would've joined together in Char's plans for the second Neo Zeon war, and if it wouldn't have happened sooner.

On the other hand, if Haman had joined Judau, it would've been an incredible foothold for the AEUG to make peace with the Neo-Zeon/Axis forces, and perhaps turn their attention toward the Federation. Assuming that 1) The AEUG was itself not completely in bed with the Federation at that point (which, given Mr.Medchar's position it certainly seemed to be) and 2) Haman's tryst/alliance with a Gundam pilot didn't discredit her in the eyes of Neo Zeon forces, hastening either Glemy or Char's rise to power among them.

All of this is a bit rambly, though.

I dont think Minevas claim to zeon was ever as strong as Char's. The principality of zeon would have probably collapsed had char come forward and exerted a claim prior to or during the one year war. However, while the novel shouldnt be taken as canon, it does say that in char's mind, a Zabi dictatorship was preferable to the federation staus quo.

Acid08

Banned
Gundam F91

Loved it! Really the only complaint I have is that some of it moves forward very quickly without actually explaining what's happening very well like when
Annamarie defects she's just there with Seabook and co all of a sudden, no explanation why until a minute before she dies
. That's just a small nitpick though, everything was pretty easy to follow.

I think that's easily the best looking Gundam thing I've seen too. Such a fucking gorgeous movie. I liked some of the brutal little touches like a woman dying because one of the humongous bullet shells drops on her head while she's trying to run away. It added something to see those kinds of moments where people on the ground are being destroyed by these machines. We'll usually see a version of that where people are getting blown up but nothing as strangely personal as that, made it much more effective.

The F91 instantly became one of my favorite Gundams by the end too, need to get the 1/100 model when I can afford it. Onto Crossbone now!

CorvoSol

I dont think Minevas claim to zeon was ever as strong as Char's. The principality of zeon would have probably collapsed had char come forward and exerted a claim prior to or during the one year war. However, while the novel shouldnt be taken as canon, it does say that in char's mind, a Zabi dictatorship was preferable to the federation staus quo.

Well I mean, the real trick I think is that Char's ability to prove he is both Char and Casval is just as tough as Mineva proving she is Dozle Zabi's child. Full Frontal casting doubts on that (even if just to confuse the Argama's crew) is something I'm kind of surprised people don't do to Char more often.

Unicorn 5

So I get that Marida is running on crazy juice at this point in the series, and all, but I'd like to point out that during her fight with the Unicorn she attacks the Delta Plus, thinking it's a Gundam. She keeps repeating "Gundams are the enemy!" which is something that Glemy said to Puru Two (in order to keep Elpeo Puru's spirit from persuading her against fighting Judau) and so I assume it's programming which the entire Puru series from Two to Twelve received in preparation for the Battle of Axis.

What's notable is that the Delta Plus is obviously a variant of the Hyaku Shiki. So I'm assuming that Glemy's faction, in addition to the Argama's crew, lumped the HS in with the Gundams of the Gundam Squad when programming the NTB.

Yes, yes, the Hyaku Shiki isn't a Gundam, but still. It's an interesting throw-back to ZZ.

Acid08

Banned
So the next things I want to watch are the MSG compilation movies, 0080, and Turn A. Will think about doing Zeta and ZZ and stuff after those....or I'll just rewatch G because fuck yeah G Gundam.

CorvoSol

So the next things I want to watch are the MSG compilation movies, 0080, and Turn A. Will think about doing Zeta and ZZ and stuff after those....or I'll just rewatch G because fuck yeah G Gundam.

Oh man Turn A. That show is so crazy.

Unicorn 6

So I already felt that Marida's conversation with Banagher in this episode was pretty great, but man, that moment when she called Zinnerman
Father.
Not gonna lie, got all misty eyed at that point, guys. Hands down my favorite character from this series. Full Frontal has certainly been entertaining, too.

Also, unlike Riddhe, I kinda enjoy what an enormous douchebag Angelo is. He's just so completely aggravating it's hard not to enjoy what an absolute jerk he is.

Last episode is going to be busy, though, between the Banshee and Sinanju fights.

Abd also, are the sequels to Crossbone good in anyones opinion (skull heart, steel 7, Ghost)?

Skull Heart is a good read, but more like side stories than anything else. Lots of comedy in them, especially
Gundam Ball and Monkey Zakus!
. Steel 7 is way good and an awesome sequel which gives some background to the tech behind
V2's Wings of Light
. Ghost is still going on, but I've enjoyed it so far with what's been translated, which isn't much.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I thought delta plus was mass production zeta

And thats why marida called it a gundam

CorvoSol

When it's first loaded onto the ship, someone in the background exclaims "Look, the Hyaku Shiki!"

Unicorn 7

On the one hand it was fucking amazing. On the other hand I'm left sort of confused by it all. I'm going to put some things in spoilers since it's still a fairly new episode and all, but my main thoughts can be summed up in just two words:

FUCK RIDDHE.

Bastard
kills the best character in the entire OVA
and then gets to be three million percent forgiven for that shit. Fucking Hell.

-So this UC Charter gets published and all, but the Earth Federation continues to exist as a key force well into Victory Gundam. So did any of this make a difference?
-I realize those Force Ghosts mean that Amuro and Char really did die at Axis, but then again, Kamille Bidan was using his Force Ghost when he was alive all over the place in late ZZ. Shit, he shows up among the spirits who come to aid Judau deliver his final blow to Haman, alongside the likes of Four and Lalah. I'm not saying Amuro and Char are alive, but I think if I was dedicated to convincing myself of that point, I certainly could do so.
-Kinda blows chunks that they threw away a perfectly good opportunity to show some Turn A stuff there with Full Frontal's trip to the future and all.
-The fuck was that red circle around the Neo Zeong? Some kinda massive Heat End?
-Jesus Christ how much shit like this does Bright need to see before he quits working for the Federation once and for all? He's known they were corrupt since Zeta. Even with his reasoning in ZZ Gundam's ending, by now he has to be tired of this shit. Motherlovers had the gosh dang Gryps II rebuilt for crying out loud.
-No but seriously, Fuck Riddhe.

Deadly

When it's first loaded onto the ship, someone in the background exclaims "Look, the Hyaku Shiki!"

Unicorn 7

On the one hand it was fucking amazing. On the other hand I'm left sort of confused by it all. I'm going to put some things in spoilers since it's still a fairly new episode and all, but my main thoughts can be summed up in just two words:

FUCK RIDDHE.

Bastard

-So this UC Charter gets published and all, but the Earth Federation continues to exist as a key force well into Victory Gundam. So did any of this make a difference?
-I realize those Force Ghosts mean that Amuro and Char really did die at Axis, but then again, Kamille Bidan was using his Force Ghost when he was alive all over the place in late ZZ. Shit, he shows up among the spirits who come to aid Judau deliver his final blow to Haman, alongside the likes of Four and Lalah. I'm not saying Amuro and Char are alive, but I think if I was dedicated to convincing myself of that point, I certainly could do so.
-Kinda blows chunks that they threw away a perfectly good opportunity to show some Turn A stuff there with Full Frontal's trip to the future and all.
-The fuck was that red circle around the Neo Zeong? Some kinda massive Heat End?
-Jesus Christ how much shit like this does Bright need to see before he quits working for the Federation once and for all? He's known they were corrupt since Zeta. Even with his reasoning in ZZ Gundam's ending, by now he has to be tired of this shit. Motherlovers had the gosh dang Gryps II rebuilt for crying out loud.
-Since Unicorn was written from 2007-2009, it's sort of a retcon. We can't really know the repercussions of the charter and if we just insert the show into the timeline then it indeed didn't make any difference.
-I doubt the Correct Century thing will ever be referenced to again unless it's Tomino writing.
-The PsychoShard generator? According to wiki, what it does is it generates a psychowave that destroys all weaponry.
-For Bright see:Hathaway's Flash.

Enron

Banned

The Delta Plus was developed from the Delta Gundam, which makes it the brother unit of the Hyaku Shiki.

The mass-produced suit that was developed from the Zeta line is the Re-Zel.

Gundam Seed HD Remaster Ep 48 [END] (bd)
Br8itYoCAAAxF3m.png

Great conclusion to the potentially tied for best Gundam series (wing). The final showdown at Jachin Due over the GENESIS was truly worthy of closing out the series. Really flashy, intense clash of all the political motives and characters finally deciding on the path that they wanted to follow in their hearts instead of what was commanded of them.

Insert song used got me all emotional just from all of the events. Series has been one that used music and insert songs to its benefit with all ops and eds being wonderful and memorable in sound and lyrics and meaning.

Characters were some of the best in the gundam franchise too like Athrun, Kira, Clotho
was sad none of them survived, had hope for them all to make it through as they were in the OP even
, Yzak and Dearka, along with some of the best machines like Archangel and Eternal, Justice, Freedom, and Raider Gundam.

Definitely will run through it again sometime. Will start Seed Destiny hopefully tomorrow.

RangerBAD

Unicorn 7

FUCK RIDDHE.

Bastard

-The whole Laplace Box being this erased statement in the UC charter kind of ended up being weak and a huge retcon that makes no sense since no series before that, which actually takes place later in the UC, had any talk of it. I guess you could say Minerva and Banagher either did nothing, outside of the initial message, or ultimately their message was never built upon.

-I think Megalosaro mentioned earlier that people walked out when it was canonically shown Char and Amuro were actually dead. I feel the movie left it up in the air, yeah, but I figured they were gone. Must have been tough holding onto that for over 20 years.

-Yes... FUCK RIDDHE! WHAT AN EVEN BIGGER SHIT THAN HATHAWAY.

Dedication Through Light, I'm still waiting for your thoughts on the latest volume of The Origin. There is tons of Garma/Char stuff in there for you to fangasm over.

That would be MS fanboy Takuya

Reknoc

You guys need to watch Gundam-san, it's pretty hilarious. Lalah keeps giving Char a bad time because he wants to paint everything red to improve a MS's performance. Then she moved to gold. HAHA.

Watch...? There's an anime? I remember sunrise getting the URL for it but didn't know anything came of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom