• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jomjom

Banned
Finished watching Unicorn this morning (right before leaving for work no less) and now I feel both satisfied and empty.
I was super hyped to see the Gustav Karl, even if it was some pig stuffing his face piloting it and getting its arm cut off in short order.

I'm more hopeful than ever now that Hathaway's Flash will be either serialized in manga form now, or the best case scenario, made into an OVA like Unicorn. The gears are in motion with the Beltorchika's Children manga starting soon.

I think to fill that void I'm going to find some time to pull out the old compressor and airbrush and work on my Gunpla backlog. Anyone wanna suggest what I should work on next?

14411449408_300857e7b2_o.jpg

14411450428_e5bb2b9a88_o.jpg

14411449998_cbf3deda12_o.jpg

Gundam Seed HD Remaster Ep 48 [END] (bd)
Br8itYoCAAAxF3m.png

Great conclusion to the potentially tied for best Gundam series (wing). The final showdown at Jachin Due over the GENESIS was truly worthy of closing out the series. Really flashy, intense clash of all the political motives and characters finally deciding on the path that they wanted to follow in their hearts instead of what was commanded of them.

Insert song used got me all emotional just from all of the events. Series has been one that used music and insert songs to its benefit with all ops and eds being wonderful and memorable in sound and lyrics and meaning.

Characters were some of the best in the gundam franchise too like Athrun, Kira, Clotho
was sad none of them survived, had hope for them all to make it through as they were in the OP even
, Yzak and Dearka, along with some of the best machines like Archangel and Eternal, Justice, Freedom, and Raider Gundam.

Definitely will run through it again sometime. Will start Seed Destiny hopefully tomorrow.

Don't do it. SEED Destiny collectively shits on everything good about SEED.

Finished watching Unicorn this morning (right before leaving for work no less) and now I feel both satisfied and empty.
I was super hyped to see the Gustav Karl, even if it was some pig stuffing his face piloting it and getting its arm cut off in short order.

I'm more hopeful than ever now that Hathaway's Flash will be either serialized in manga form now, or the best case scenario, made into an OVA like Unicorn. The gears are in motion with the Beltorchika's Children manga starting soon.

I think to fill that void I'm going to find some time to pull out the old compressor and airbrush and work on my Gunpla backlog. Anyone wanna suggest what I should work on next?
I can't.
So many modelsssss~

Do the EVA or one of the HG RX-78-2.
Ooh, or the Nu Gundam!

Jomjom

Banned
I can't.
So many modelsssss~

Do the EVA or one of the HG RX-78-2.
Ooh, or the Nu Gundam!

You just reminded me that I had two RX-78-2s. I think I will work on one of them. Maybe the Odaiba statue version since I'll be over there in November. Maybe if I can get it done before then I'll be able to take pictures of the 1/144 one next to the 1/1 scale one.

Beth Cyra

Out of all these kits there is only one truly correct answer.

G Savior, and no I'm not joking. Do him and then move on to the rest.

CorvoSol

Hathaway is a terrible punk and all, but dude doesn't have anything on Riddhe. I think Riddhe may have usurped Katz for the man I hate most in UC Gundam.

Jomjom

Banned
Given Gundam gaf and I's opinions are usually at odds, I will just say it now.

I far prefer Riddhe to Links.

I agree. Banana was really irksome for the majority of the show. I'd say he's probably tied with Koh Uraki as my least favorite protag leads.

Out of all these kits there is only one truly correct answer.

G Savior, and no I'm not joking. Do him and then move on to the rest.

I do like me some G-Savior (not the shitty movie of course). The design is the only half decent thing that came out of that production. I wish they would remove G-Savior from the UC canon. It has no connection to anything that's remotely UC and now Reconguista in G is supposed to follow that?

Jomjom

Banned
Do people ever post a few pictures of their WIP in this thread? I used to do that a lot in some of the popular gunpla forums, but haven't done that in a while. I like doing that because often people have really good recommendations and critique and it makes the solitariness of gunpla modeling seem a bit more social.

Beth Cyra

Do people ever post a few pictures of their WIP in this thread? I used to do that a lot in some of the popular gunpla forums, but haven't done that in a while. I like doing that because often people have really good recommendations and critique and it makes the solitariness of gunpla modeling seem a bit more social.

Sure.

I generally don't, because I'm a terrible builder as my pictures above show. Still we have a few people who do it and we all love to see WiP shots.

I agree. Banana was really irksome for the majority of the show. I'd say he's probably tied with Koh Uraki as my least favorite protag leads.

I do like me some G-Savior (not the shitty movie of course). The design is the only half decent thing that came out of that production. I wish they would remove G-Savior from the UC canon. It has no connection to anything that's remotely UC and now Reconguista in G is supposed to follow that?

I actually don't like G-Savior, but given how little use it gets it would be a great interesting build that won't be recycled for a long time.

CorvoSol

Given Gundam gaf and I's opinions are usually at odds, I will just say it now.

I far prefer Riddhe to Links.

In maybe the first episode, I would have agreed, since I kinda felt that early on Banagheeeee was a whiny chump even compared to Uso, and I don't think I'll ever put him on the level of Amuro, Kamille and Judau, but from midway into the series onward he grew on me as Riddhe just kept getting worse and worse. But his
murder of Marida
and the way the whole show just forgave him for it without a second's thought kinda sort of pissed me off in a big way.

Except in reality that's just a Methus.

Haha, I'd never noticed until now, but the head does look a lot like a Zeta's.

-The whole Laplace Box being this erased statement in the UC charter kind of ended up being weak and a huge retcon that makes no sense since no series before that, which actually takes place later in the UC, had any talk of it. I guess you could say Minerva and Banagher either did nothing, outside of the initial message, or ultimately their message was never built upon.

-I think Megalosaro mentioned earlier that people walked out when it was canonically shown Char and Amuro were actually dead. I feel the movie left it up in the air, yeah, but I figured they were gone. Must have been tough holding onto that for over 20 years.

-Yes... FUCK RIDDHE! WHAT AN EVEN BIGGER SHIT THAN HATHAWAY.

Wait, was there a different ending to the movie? Cuz the one I saw had them in it for only a few minutes. It wasn't exactly definite. I mean, I won't argue that the point was to send that message, because I figure it was, but I dunno.

Beth Cyra

In maybe the first episode, I would have agreed, since I kinda felt that early on Banagheeeee was a whiny chump even compared to Uso, and I don't think I'll ever put him on the level of Amuro, Kamille and Judau, but from midway into the series onward he grew on me as Riddhe just kept getting worse and worse. But his
murder of Marida
and the way the whole show just forgave him for it without a second's thought kinda sort of pissed me off in a big way.

Wait, was there a different ending to the movie? Cuz the one I saw had them in it for only a few minutes. It wasn't exactly definite. I mean, I won't argue that the point was to send that message, because I figure it was, but I dunno.

I think part of the big difference between you and I Corvo is I think that character you like so much is trash and one of the worst characters and I didn't feel anything at their death.

CorvoSol

I think part of the big difference between you and I Corvo is I think that character you like so much is trash and one of the worst characters and I didn't feel anything at their death.

Oh well yeah, if you didn't like her, then I don't think you're apt to hold a big ol' chip against him, no, heh.

Beth Cyra

Oh well yeah, if you didn't like her, then I don't think you're apt to hold a big ol' chip against him, no, heh.

I don't know.

The back story is interesting and the links to ZZ want to make me like them, but other then that nothing.

And Links, just no. He is just a weird creepy stalker and I really don't buy his and Minvera's relationship. However I've had a problem with the romance in OVA Gundam every single time so this isn't really a surprise.

However even with that Links is bad.

Blader

Laplace's Box is a big retcon, but I don't see any real plot hole in earlier shows not referencing it; it's just never been relevant before. How many American shows or movies just randomly talk about the Constitution?

CorvoSol

I don't know.

The back story is interesting and the links to ZZ want to make me like them, but other then that nothing.

And Links, just no. He is just a weird creepy stalker and I really don't buy his and Minvera's relationship. However I've had a problem with the romance in OVA Gundam every single time so this isn't really a surprise.

However even with that Links is bad.

I didn't think it was a great romance, either, but I kinda don't think Gundam does romance very well very often. Zeta Gundam is one of the few times actual romances get attention, I think. There's a lot of crazy stuff there, too, but Kamille's relationships with Four and Fa are actually given time, attention and development, but no Beam Saber Jaccuzi. Although I really like both Haman and Roux, their relationships with Judau aren't an overblown thing.

I kinda think that's part of what I liked about Turn A and G. Both of them managed to have love stories worked in in a way that I found enjoyable.

As to being a creepy stalker, that's actually the vibe I got from Riddhe. Dude was all up on Mineva the whole time with less reciprocation than she even gave to Banagher.

I think I liked Marida, though, in part because of her ZZ stuff
it'd be nice to know that at least one Elpeo Puru had a good, long life
but also because she filled the same slot that Sayla, Emma and Roux filled out, of a confident, capable "big sis" role.

RangerBAD

murder of Marida

I'm not sure what part you're asking about. I was talking about Unicorn episode 7
confirming they were dead.

Beth Cyra

I didn't think it was a great romance, either, but I kinda don't think Gundam does romance very well very often. Zeta Gundam is one of the few times actual romances get attention, I think. There's a lot of crazy stuff there, too, but Kamille's relationships with Four and Fa are actually given time, attention and development, but no Beam Saber Jaccuzi. Although I really like both Haman and Roux, their relationships with Judau aren't an overblown thing.

I kinda think that's part of what I liked about Turn A and G. Both of them managed to have love stories worked in in a way that I found enjoyable.

As to being a creepy stalker, that's actually the vibe I got from Riddhe. Dude was all up on Mineva the whole time with less reciprocation than she even gave to Banagher.

I think I liked Marida, though, in part because of her ZZ stuff
it'd be nice to know that at least one Elpeo Puru had a good, long life
but also because she filled the same slot that Sayla, Emma and Roux filled out, of a confident, capable "big sis" role.
I think this is all fair (but saying G had good romance I simply disagree with) but the characters you like so much are again probably why I don't like Marida.

I HATE Rouxe with a passion that very few other characters are able to bring out in me. I wanted her to die a very, very horrible death and Judau to get with Haman.

CorvoSol

Laplace's Box is a big retcon, but I don't see any real plot hole in earlier shows not referencing it; it's just never been relevant before. How many American shows or movies just randomly talk about the Constitution?

I could be wrong, but at least one problem that occurred to me was that they make a big deal about how Zeon is going to dissolve in a few years and how opening the box now can prevent that and get spacenoids their rights, but then in F91 the Zeon are gone, and Spacenoids don't have their rights.

I'm not sure what part you're asking about. I was talking about Unicorn episode 7
confirming they were dead.

I think I misunderstood you. I thought you meant the ending had been changed in response to the people who did not like that confirmation.

RangerBAD

I could be wrong, but at least one problem that occurred to me was that they make a big deal about how Zeon is going to dissolve in a few years and how opening the box now can prevent that and get spacenoids their rights, but then in F91 the Zeon are gone, and Spacenoids don't have their rights.

I think I misunderstood you. I thought you meant the ending had been changed in response to the people who did not like that confirmation.

No, people walked out on Unicorn episode 7 because it confirms
Char and Amuro's death.

CorvoSol

I think this is all fair (but saying G had good romance I simply disagree with) but the characters you like so much are again probably why I don't like Marida.

I HATE Rouxe with a passion that very few other characters are able to bring out in me. I wanted her to die a very, very horrible death and Judau to get with Haman.

Haha, well yeah, I think that a lot of this is a difference of tastes, then. FWIW this second trip through ZZ I kinda found myself more on Team Haman than Team Roux. One hopes that somewhere out there there's a SRW game that makes that possible!

Still holding out against all reason and hope that Z3-2 gives me ZZ and G.

No, people walked out on Unicorn episode 7 because it confirms
Char and Amuro's death.

Man, Japanese Gundam fans take Char and Amuro really, really seriously.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Primer only help your paint stick better, so it will have less peel and blister. The only time you will save paints is either you try to paint a lighter shade than the plastic (white paint on black plastic), or if the color is very close to the color of your primer.
Yeah, I suppose. I just thought I'd be able to layer it on thinner.

Another problem is that the primer itself adds a significant layer to the surface as well. It's not really helpful for fine detail areas, nor for much of the rest of the kit which appears to have very tight fits in many spots. Doesn't level itself as much as acrylics do either, it seems to bunch up. Ugh :(

Blader

ohh, I misunderstood, I thought he was talking about the chronologically older shows, not F91/Victory. In which case you might be right, and the implication would be that opening Laplace's Box didn't change much of anything, which Syam says is a possibility in episode 7.

Or alternatively, opening the box actually was a success. Consider that by the time of F91 and Victory, the Federation has declined to a point where they have little to no influence left over the colonies, and the spacenoids are increasingly splintering off into their own groups (Side 4 renames itself Frontier, which then becomes "cosmo babylon" in F91; Side 2 declares itself Zanscare in Victory) and just ignoring the Federation. Tomino's intent back then was that the Federation, being corrupt and incompetent, just naturally fell apart. But with the Laplace Box's retcon, there's a new explanation for why they suddenly lost control over the colonies in the years since CCA and Unicorn. It's hard to say either way since Tomino doesn't exactly spend much time focusing on the politicking, but personally I like how the new retcon ends up working out.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Yeah, I suppose. I just thought I'd be able to layer it on thinner.

Another problem is that the primer itself adds a significant layer to the surface as well. It's not really helpful for fine detail areas, nor for much of the rest of the kit which appears to have very tight fits in many spots. Doesn't level itself as much as acrylics do either, it seems to bunch up. Ugh :(

Are you thinning your acrylic paint and acrylic primer with water? Like 50/50 ratio?

I heard good thing about the Vallejo primer,going to try it on my next build. I used krylon spray can before, but it is a bit thick for my taste.

RangerBAD

ohh, I misunderstood, I thought he was talking about the chronologically older shows, not F91/Victory. In which case you might right, and the implication would be that opening Laplace's Box didn't change much of anything, which Syam says is a possibility in episode 7.

Or alternatively, opening the box actually was a success. Consider that by the time of F91 and Victory, the Federation has declined to a point where they have little to no influence left over the colonies, and the spacenoids are increasingly splintering off into their own groups (Side 4 renames itself Frontier, which then becomes "cosmo babylon" in F91; Side 2 declares itself Zanscare in Victory) and just ignoring the Federation. Tomino's intent back then was just that the Federation, being corrupt and incompetent, just naturally fell apart. But with the Laplace Box's retcon, there's a new explanation for why they suddenly lost control over the colonies in the years since CCA and Unicorn. It's hard to say either way since Tomino doesn't exactly spend much time focusing on the politicking, but personally I like how the new retcon ends up working out.

Yeah, I just meant that it doesn't affect older shows which actually take place chronologically after Unicorn in the timeline. Or that's my take on it. Maybe we'll get a Gundam placed between Unicorn and the nearest story near it. People have started to move further and further from the Earth, but you know the Earth will always end up as a contesting point. With the Dark History we know that there's always people screaming that they are superior to someone else. So they same plot is done over and over. So if you think of it that way, the ideals never held except in the protagonists.

CorvoSol

ohh, I misunderstood, I thought he was talking about the chronologically older shows, not F91/Victory. In which case you might be right, and the implication would be that opening Laplace's Box didn't change much of anything, which Syam says is a possibility in episode 7.

Or alternatively, opening the box actually was a success. Consider that by the time of F91 and Victory, the Federation has declined to a point where they have little to no influence left over the colonies, and the spacenoids are increasingly splintering off into their own groups (Side 4 renames itself Frontier, which then becomes "cosmo babylon" in F91; Side 2 declares itself Zanscare in Victory) and just ignoring the Federation. Tomino's intent back then was that the Federation, being corrupt and incompetent, just naturally fell apart. But with the Laplace Box's retcon, there's a new explanation for why they suddenly lost control over the colonies in the years since CCA and Unicorn. It's hard to say either way since Tomino doesn't exactly spend much time focusing on the politicking, but personally I like how the new retcon ends up working out.

Given that the only way to solve the problem prior to Turn A was for the colonies to physically flee the Solar System, I'm going to go ahead and guess that opening the Box was a resounding failure. The Earth Federation exists well into Victory, whereas Zeon has vanished and all successors are doomed to defeat and failure.

RangerBAD

Given that the only way to solve the problem prior to Turn A was for the colonies to physically flee the Solar System, I'm going to go ahead and guess that opening the Box was a resounding failure. The Earth Federation exists well into Victory, whereas Zeon has vanished and all successors are doomed to defeat and failure.

Jovians are the new cool.

CorvoSol

Jovians are the new cool.

Pffft. Even Crux Dogatie knew that Earth Girls are best.

So does anything ever explain where the Colonies went after they fled? That'd be an interesting way to follow up Turn A, I guess.

Oh, and when do G-Reco and Origin start? Gundam-San's begun, I saw.

RangerBAD

Pffft. Even Crux Dogatie knew that Earth Girls are best.

So does anything ever explain where the Colonies went after they fled? That'd be an interesting way to follow up Turn A, I guess.

Oh, and when do G-Reco and Origin start? Gundam-San's begun, I saw.

G-Reco is next season and Origin wiki says Spring 2015.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Build Fighters and G-Reco in the same season is too much imo. Especially since BF just ended.

I'm probably only gonna watch one while it airs and then binge the other at the end of the season

Kwixotik

I can't wait for my gray marker to get here, I want to finish this thing. Also I'm really wanting to try that plastic cement technique to get rid of seam lines. I think it would really improve the look of future figures and I might try it on my next model.

Jomjom

Banned
Hand-painting. White primer, trying to put on bright gold. Looks like I might only need 3 layers of gold, which is better I guess, but if I need like 1-2 layers of primer/gesso, it ends up being around the same amount of layers D;

I would definitely use primer, but I don't feel you really need 2 layers of primer. What I normally do is spray primer and then with a very fine grit sandpaper (at least 1500 grit) go through and very lightly wet-sand the primer for three reasons: 1) Get rid of bumps and imperfections which will show through your paint, 2) put fine microscratches into the primer, which won't be perceptible to the eye once paint goes on to provide even more grip to the paint, and 3) to make the primer layer thinner without removing it from the plastic and bringing out details that were obscured under the primer. Also fold the paper and with the edge clear out the panel lines.

If your gold is one that actually has metallic flakes in it or is somewhat transparent. What I do is use a bright semi-gloss yellow (especially important if you want it to be a bright gold instead of a burnished gold) as the first coat over the primer. Wet sand that ever so slightly with a very fine sandpaper and then go over it with the gold. Depending on the look you want you should not need more than 2 layers of gold. You could do more if you really want that metal/pearlescent car finish look.

If you are painting a metallic gold directly onto the primer layer, it's likely why you need lots of layers and/or are getting patches where coverage looks spotty. With any metallic or transparent paint you generally want to do a semi-gloss or gloss of a base color (i.e. black/gray under gunmetal, gloss white under pearl, gloss green under a transparent/metallic green, and so on).

CorvoSol

So I went looking for images to demonstrate what show I'm thinking of. These, I guess?

Also I found this:

I can't read Japanese so I can't be sure what that is, but if it was an ad that came out before ZZ Gundam aired man there must have been some disappointed people when it turned out that Haman would not be inviting Judau to the Zeta Zeta Zeta sorority toga party.

So I went looking for images to demonstrate what show I'm thinking of. These, I guess?

Also I found this:

I can't read Japanese so I can't be sure what that is, but if it was an ad that came out before ZZ Gundam aired man there must have been some disappointed people when it turned out that Haman would not be inviting Judau to the Zeta Zeta Zeta sorority toga party.

Why the heck is Judau drawn so buff? He's supposed to be 14; way younger than Amuro or Kamille...

He also acts more mature. Was he meant to be older?

Why the heck is Judau drawn so buff? He's supposed to be 14; way younger than Amuro or Kamille...

He also acts more mature. Was he meant to be older?

Weren't, like, all of those magazine drawings just really good sketches made by someone outside of the staff who matched the style of the show?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom