• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBAD

ZZ as a show is full of fat ass suits. ZZ, the Quibleys, the Zaku III.

Well, we expect it from Zeon.

Another fat Gundam is the GP02, but I suppose it needed that sort of platform for a nuke.

RX-78GP02A_Gundam_GP02A.jpg

RangerBAD

So, Gundam GAF, what Gundam story is the most sad for you?

For me, I think 0080: War in the Pocket. It was pretty heart breaking. Might have been one of the first Gundams I saw too.

CorvoSol

Definitely 0080, but as an answer that differs from that, let me put forward Sochie Heim. Not all of Turn A, because I actually feel like Turn A is one of the most positive Gundam shows, showing humanity as capable of peace and understanding without needing magical psychic powers to do it, and in spite of the numerous terrifying evils seen in the show, but what happens to Sochie is like all the awfulness that would be spread among the cast in shows like Zeta are instead concentrated on her in specific. Namely that
she loses the man she was going to marry, and she completely loses her chance with Loran. Her parents are completely ruined by the war (her father's death and her mother's madness) and she's never able to exact revenge for anyone or achieve any kind of closure. She loses her sister to Harry, and Loran to Dianna. At the end of Turn A she's just completely alone.

PhiLonius

So, Gundam GAF, what Gundam story is the most sad for you?

For me, I think 0080: War in the Pocket. It was pretty heart breaking. Might have been one of the first Gundams I saw too.

I would say most recently
Marida's death in Unicorn Ep 7. Made even worse by who kills her. Everything she does through eps 1-7, her interactions with those around her, coupled with her history pre-Unicorn made her such a great character.

Another good moment I think is
the ending montage in Turn A where it shows Kihel crying as she is looking through the Dark History files. It's a really quick shot of the images floating around her but it still manages to say so much. Basically shows that conflict is this sort of never-ending cycle that humanity is bound to eventually go through again and again.

Also
the fact AGE exists.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
There are some AMAZING ZZ resin kits.

My god, a few of them are quite possibly the greatest looking models I've ever seen.

Talking about resin kits, is http://www.gkgundamkit.com/ a reliable site? I wanted to buy a G-System resin kit after I am more confident about my painting skill, but not sure whether I should get it from G-System website or gkgundamkit. It is $50 cheaper in that site.

RangerBAD

I would say most recently
Marida's death in Unicorn Ep 7. Made even worse by who kills her. Everything she does through eps 1-7, her interactions with those around her, coupled with her history pre-Unicorn made her such a great character.

Another good moment I think is
the ending montage in Turn A where it shows Kihel crying as she is looking through the Dark History files. It's a really quick shot of the images floating around her but it still manages to say so much. Basically shows that conflict is this sort of never-ending cycle that humanity is bound to eventually go through again and again.

Also
the fact AGE exists.

Unicorn itself wasn't really that sad though.
My heart broke for Marida of course, and I hated what happened to her before and during Unicorn.

No matter how many times I watch 0080, the ending still hits me like the first time.

Yeah, it's like inalienably sad.

PhiLonius

Definitely 0080, but as an answer that differs from that, let me put forward Sochie Heim. Not all of Turn A, because I actually feel like Turn A is one of the most positive Gundam shows, showing humanity as capable of peace and understanding without needing magical psychic powers to do it, and in spite of the numerous terrifying evils seen in the show, but what happens to Sochie is like all the awfulness that would be spread among the cast in shows like Zeta are instead concentrated on her in specific. Namely that
she loses the man she was going to marry, and she completely loses her chance with Loran. Her parents are completely ruined by the war (her father's death and her mother's madness) and she's never able to exact revenge for anyone or achieve any kind of closure. She loses her sister to Harry, and Loran to Dianna. At the end of Turn A she's just completely alone.

It was good development for her character. I wasn't too much a fan of how she was the beginning of the show.

Plus, someone needed to suffer.

I wanna change my vote to this.

We all suffered.

No matter how many times I watch 0080, the ending still hits me like the first time.

Unicorn itself wasn't really that sad though.
My heart broke for Marida of course, and I hated what happened to her before and during Unicorn.

Yeah, it's like inalienably sad.

0080 hits hard for sure.

And
Marida Cruz is truly the Sochie Heim of Unicorn.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's 0080 and it's not even close.

Also for a power of friendship shonen show G Gundam manages to invoke some pretty deep feelings in me at many different points. Domon's life is basically a country music song at the end, his girl left him, his idol/mom/brother are all dead, he hates his boss and only has a horse to hang out with, plus his idiot friends.

Unexpected depth is a great deal of the reason why I always come back to G Gundam.

RangerBAD

Also for a power of friendship shonen show G Gundam manages to invoke some pretty deep feelings in me at many different points. Domon's life is basically a country music song at the end, his girl left him, his idol/mom/brother are all dead, he hates his boss and only has a horse to hang out with, plus his idiot friends.

Unexpected depth is a great deal of the reason why I always come back to G Gundam.

G Gundam is like the Hokuto no Ken of Gundam. So there are many manly feels to be had.

CorvoSol

We're talking about just prior to the end, right? Since
Domon gets his girl back.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
His real love was Allenby, though. Poor girl, sacrificed her happiness for the sake of the world ;_;

The manga is pretty good for people who prefer Domon and Allenby.

And yes, I'm talking about in G Gundam the brief period after
He kills Master but before he goes off to rescue her.
where his life is truly a country music song.

0080 hits hard for sure.

And
Marida Cruz is truly the Sochie Heim of Unicorn.

How so? Sochie doesn't really have a bad ending. She's young and she's rich, and not to mention a war hero.
Sure her sister and Loran abandon her (though I imagine she still has SOME contact with both. They could send letters or something. But it's only a matter of time before another suitor comes for her. I mean, she's what, 17 at the end of the show? Hardly Old Maid status.

PhiLonius

How so? Sochie doesn't really have a bad ending. She's young and she's rich, and not to mention a war hero.
Sure her sister and Loran abandon her (though I imagine she still has SOME contact with both. They could send letters or something. But it's only a matter of time before another suitor comes for her. I mean, she's what, 17 at the end of the show? Hardly Old Maid status.

Being
killed by Riddhe
is like having everything that happened to Sochie rolled into one.

Acid08

Banned
I think so! And it looks really nice when assembled. :)

Build Strike is pretty good to start with. Feels like a big HG with a ton more parts.

Nice, thanks guys! The MGs I currently have on my wish list are Shining, Build Strike, and F91. Will probably want one from Wing too, are the Deathscythe MGs good?

RangerBAD

What about Katejina? Did you guys feel sad
for her at the end when we see that she's mentally broken? I felt sorry for her, honestly.

Also, I'm going to leave this here for everyone. Don't you feel the tears streaming already?

CorvoSol

His real love was Allenby, though. Poor girl, sacrificed her happiness for the sake of the world ;_;

You speak lies.

What about Katejina? Did you guys feel sad
for her at the end when we see that she's mentally broken? I felt sorry for her, honestly.

Also, I'm going to leave this here for everyone. Don't you feel the tears streaming already?

The only thing I felt for Katejina was a sincere wish for Uso to kick out each and every one of her teeth. But then, I didn't go past episode, 40, so I dunno. Things apparently got much crazier from there.

Acid08

Banned
Every time it seems like Domon finally respeks Rain he turns around and does something stupid, smh Domon get it together dude.

Kwixotik

On episode 8 of 0079 now. Can someone explain to me what the hell Minovsky particles are? They keep talking about them but never explained them (as far as I remember anyway).

CorvoSol

On episode 8 of 0079 now. Can someone explain to me what the hell Minovsky particles are? They keep talking about them but never explained them (as far as I remember anyway).

I don't really remember what exactly they are but essentially they scramble radars and stuff, which is why, rather than using missiles and fighters, Zeon and the Feds are developing Mobile Suits. Because Minovsky particles rendered conventional warfare impractical or something.

Acid08

Banned
The second end theme for G is amazing. The look on Domon's face is just "fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck she's gonna kiss me ohgodohgodohgod"

And I actually laughed out loud when J-Rap started playing in one of the episodes. This is truly the best Gundam series.

Ken

The Minovsky particle has near-zero rest mass - though, like any particle, its mass increases to reflect its potential or kinetic energy - and can carry either a positive or negative electrical charge. When scattered in open space or in the air, the repulsive forces between charged Minovsky particles cause them to spontaneously align into a regular cubic lattice structure called an I-field. An I-field lattice will slowly expand and scatter into space, however, after dense interference it will take approximately 29 days before the region can support normal electromagnetic communication again.

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Minovsky_Physics#Minovsky_Physics

Blader

Minovsky engines are what power ships in UC Gundam (and much later on, mobile suits). Minovsky particles are just a by-product. When they realized that the particles had a side effect of scrambling radars, both sides starting using them as a sort of cloaking tool.

Minovsky particles are used for lots of things.

First and foremost, they are used to scramble communication equipment as well as guided weaponry. Secondly, beam weaponry is powered by minovsky particles.

As an above user mentioned, they are the by product of their fusion reactors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom