• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBAD

I've got the album that has that live concert version on it. Great CD.

I have the 20th Anniversary concert CD too. It's disappointing they didn't do a concert CD for the 30th Anniversary. Instead they did an in-studio recording with the London Symphony Orchestra and a video of parts of the recording.

CorvoSol

Search your feelings you know this to be true.

2zjR9pJ.gif

Beth Cyra

I had to take a break from MG Destiny, I'm actually liking the build so far, but I hate the TV design so I just needed to step back given I built RG Destiny shortly before.

I started work on my MG Hi-Nu, figured I might as well finally get to it so I can compare it to the MG Hi-Nu Ver Ka when I get around to grabbing him.

CorvoSol

Guys how does George control his Rose Bits if he isn't a Newtype?

Oh wait, I'm wondering how things work in G Gundam again. That's silly.

Thanks all for the clarification on Minovsky particles. I feel like I mostly understand them now.

There is a lot of stuff that gets "added" to what they can do along the way through the UC series of course. Another effect along with being able to use beam weapons is that spreading large amounts of the particles in a small area,they have a secondary effect of making beams unstable and dissipate. You see the particles weaponized in missiles to be launched at the start of combat throughout the UC line.

Its basically their answer to why their technology works so well without having to explain it in immense detail haha.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Finally finish my MG Rx-78-2 Ver 3, except for the weapons, I got lazy and the primers won't be here till next monday anyway. Darn it master grade looks a lot better than expected without paint, I am very tempted just do the panel line, seal the damn thing and call it a day.

I am still surprise at the wide range of motion that it can pull off, most of the joints are very tough, the only expects are the arms, which keep falling off every time I move the arms around.

Time to disassemble the thing I spent 20 hours+ building, now I just need a way to label the parts so I can tell which part require paints, the color of the paints, and which part of the body it belong to. I highly doubt I can do all that based on memory. I am going to cry if I screw up the paint job, wish me luck :(

Sorry for the crappy phone camera, I tried.

CorvoSol

fq82Ndd.gif

A case could be made for G Gundam being the most technologically advanced side universe of them all.

Well there's certainly a lot of ridiculous technology that gets a lot scarier when you think about it in the context of Turn A.

Like, boy is everybody lucky that the Turn A's nanomachines take longer to recover than the Devil Gundam's.

The way it was meant to be.

jNkwfK9.gif

You people make me sick.

A case could be made for G Gundam being the most technologically advanced side universe of them all.

Could be?

It is only behind Turn A in terms of advanced technology. DG Cells are the precursor to moonlight butterfly and nano machines. Outside of that Future Century is so technologically advanced that they can apparently do whatever the hell they want on a planet wide scale.

Beth Cyra

Could be?

It is only behind Turn A in terms of advanced technology. DG Cells are the precursor to moonlight butterfly and nano machines. Outside of that Future Century is so technologically advanced that they can apparently do whatever the hell they want on a planet wide scale.
Nanomachines are completely active and functional in other AU along with stuff like gene manipulation.

G Gundam isnt a clear winner by any margin.

The only thing G Gundam has that no other AU has is mobile trace.

Each AU has something that no other does outside of AGE.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Err there really isn't anything outside of Turn A that matches the three great theoretical principles of the Devil/Dark gundam. It's not just that it has nanomachines, it's that they can self replicate, regenerate and evolve. In fact if I've always suspected that the Turn A/X Gundams were probably based off of the designs of the Dark Gundam and that the Fighting Century might be the original piece of the Turn A puzzle.

Beth Cyra

Err there really isn't anything outside of Turn A that matches the three great theoretical principles of the Devil/Dark gundam. It's not just that it has nanomachines, it's that they can self replicate, regenerate and evolve. In fact if I've always suspected that the Turn A/X Gundams were probably based off of the designs of the Dark Gundam and that the Fighting Century might be the original piece of the Turn A puzzle.
Speculation isnt fact. The only fact we have is that Turn X has DG Cells inside it and thats it.

As for self replicating Nanomachines that is no more impressive then GN particles healing space cancer or the ability to given people new type powersand tell the future.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's the self evolving nonsense, ala Cell from Dragon Ball, that sets it apart. The DG was something truly miraculous by the end and was only defeated by the power of love! A final evolution past that could have easily turned into a weapon that turned all technology into dust.

Of course it's all speculation and fan wankery though.

Beth Cyra

It's the self evolving nonsense, ala Cell from Dragon Ball, that sets it apart. The DG was something truly miraculous by the end and was only defeated by the power of love! A final evolution past that could have easily turned into a weapon that turned all technology into dust.

Of course it's all speculation and fan wankery though.
Okay I won't say this is wrong, but its not conclusive either.

If it was so strong it should be around in more then just Turn X, but its not.

However Nano Machine use, gene manipulation Zero System and the fact that Conrad was scared by Wing Gundam Zero are reasons as to why I think Wing is a strong contender.

CorvoSol

Okay I won't say this is wrong, but its not conclusive either.

However Nano Machine use, gene manipulation Zero System and the fact that Conrad was scared by Wing Gundam Zero are reasons as to why I think Wing is a strong contender.

I might be remembering this wrong, but I think there's a pretty good reason for why DG Cells aren't widespread. It's called the Devil Gundam. One unit had DG Cells on it and it managed to overtake an entire colony and begin assimilation of the planet in a single day. People are scared shitless of those things. Look at the Moonlight Butterfly. What few memories people have on Earth of that event are whispers of terror. Because that shit is so damn powerful. Look at the nukes in Turn A. People are horrified by those and those are nothing compared to DG Cells, which assimilate everything, be it human, mineral, animal or plant.

Why in the Hell would anyone want those in widespread usage? If anything, the rarity of DG Cells is the testament to their power. Mankind is scared stiff of things that powerful in Turn A. The prevention of opening and resuming the Dark History is centered almost entirely around that. Things like nuclear weapons, colony lasers, prognosticating programs and a biomechanical weapon capable of integrating the human race into itself at a baffling speed are all things nobody would ever want to see in Turn A. Some weapons are simply too powerful to see widespread use because they horrify everyone that much.

Beth Cyra

I might be remembering this wrong, but I think there's a pretty good reason for why DG Cells aren't widespread. It's called the Devil Gundam. One unit had DG Cells on it and it managed to overtake an entire colony and begin assimilation of the planet in a single day. People are scared shitless of those things. Look at the Moonlight Butterfly. What few memories people have on Earth of that event are whispers of terror. Because that shit is so damn powerful. Look at the nukes in Turn A. People are horrified by those and those are nothing compared to DG Cells, which assimilate everything, be it human, mineral, animal or plant.

Why in the Hell would anyone want those in widespread usage? If anything, the rarity of DG Cells is the testament to their power. Mankind is scared stiff of things that powerful in Turn A. The prevention of opening and resuming the Dark History is centered almost entirely around that. Things like nuclear weapons, colony lasers, prognosticating programs and a biomechanical weapon capable of integrating the human race into itself at a baffling speed are all things nobody would ever want to see in Turn A. Some weapons are simply too powerful to see widespread use because they horrify everyone that much.

In my mind this argument is wrong at its very core because of the nature of DG Cells. They as said self replicate and survive.

So long as the DG cells in Turn X exist they should be growing in number regardless of human consent. The idea that they are in Turn X and the fact X has been damaged and doesn't even resemble its former self shows the DG Cells have a limit so them being the end all doesn't work because there is no way to know when that limit was reached.

CorvoSol

In my mind this argument is wrong at its very core because of the nature of DG Cells. They as said self replicate and survive.

So long as the DG cells in Turn X exist they should be growing in number regardless of human consent. The idea that they are in Turn X and the fact X has been damaged and doesn't even resemble its former self shows the DG Cells have a limit so them being the end all doesn't work because there is no way to know when that limit was reached.

I need to see a source proving the Turn X even has these DG Cells then. Because it doesn't behave like it does at all, and no mention of it is made in Turn A from what I remember.

That aside I haven't the slightest what you're even trying to get at anymore. DG Cells aren't strong because they're not widespread? And yet them not being widespread because they're a horrifying weapon of mass destruction people wouldn't want to produce doesn't hold water because . . . the Turn X, which allegedly contains them, gets hurt? And that proves that it has limitations which disproves that people wouldn't want to mass produce it how?

I mean nukes have all kinds of limits but Turn A makes an enormous deal about them and why nobody should use them. Same with the Solar System and Colony lasers. I don't see how a weapon having a weakness stops it from being an amazingly evil weapon. How many failed colony drops and asteroid drops were there? It was still a super big deal every time.

I mean you can cite the Turn X all you want but that's not going to change what happened in G. As it is the Turn X and Turn A were both tucked away and forgotten in places similar to the nukes for the same reason, so if anything, the argument that "nobody wanted to see these things get used" continues to stand firm.

Beth Cyra

I need to see a source proving the Turn X even has these DG Cells then. Because it doesn't behave like it does at all, and no mention of it is made in Turn A from what I remember.

That aside I haven't the slightest what you're even trying to get at anymore. DG Cells aren't strong because they're not widespread? And yet them not being widespread because they're a horrifying weapon of mass destruction people wouldn't want to produce doesn't hold water because . . . the Turn X, which allegedly contains them, gets hurt? And that proves that it has limitations which disproves that people wouldn't want to mass produce it how?

I mean nukes have all kinds of limits but Turn A makes an enormous deal about them and why nobody should use them. Same with the Solar System and Colony lasers. I don't see how a weapon having a weakness stops it from being an amazingly evil weapon. How many failed colony drops and asteroid drops were there? It was still a super big deal every time.

I mean you can cite the Turn X all you want but that's not going to change what happened in G. As it is the Turn X and Turn A were both tucked away and forgotten in places similar to the nukes for the same reason, so if anything, the argument that "nobody wanted to see these things get used" continues to stand firm.
Turn X wasn't made in Turn A at all.

Turn A is made to combat Turn X, X is the original of the Turn suits.

Turn X having DG cells is one of the ways they've linked Turn A to G Gundam. Turn X found (looking NOTHING like what we know as Turn X) and then they created Turn A based on the Turn X because they we're afraid of X.

In the end Turn X and Turn A fought and Turn X lost (the large scare X across it's chest is a result of that fight and can NOT be repaired).

The DG Cells have the ability to self replicate and reproduce. The fact that Turn X contains DG Cells and can't heal it self shows that the DG Cells have limits and are not all powerful, it's very simple I'm not sure how you are getting lost with this. Beyond that, the very fact they can self replicate and reproduce yet they are unable to move past the Turn X means they have lost a significant portion of their power.

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/CONCEPT-X_6-1-2_Turn_X

Has the information on it's origin (which comes from the MG), Turn X was excavated during Turn A, but NOT created.

The DG Cells part of Turn X comes from one of the Turn A novels if I remember right. I will admit thought that I forgot but it is also speculated that Turn A also carries DG Cells, and can Repair itself and it's pilot, but it takes a long time and drains the A of most of it's energy (so even this is showing that DG Cells have a limit.)

I've never denied what happened at the end of G, or the fact that DG Cells are incredibly powerful. Only that they are proof that G is the most high tech series. The DG cells could have popped up anywhere at anytime but get locked away.

Nothing else from G outside of Trace System are high tech to a point any other series doesn't have something equal or greater than.

CorvoSol

I'm still not seeing anything that proves that the Turn X or Turn A even had DG Cells. As such I can't really agree that the Turn X's scar proves anything.

Beth Cyra

I'm still not seeing anything that proves that the Turn X or Turn A even had DG Cells. As such I can't really agree that the Turn X's scar proves anything.

To be fair to you and more importantly I own Man God and apology.

Turn X having DG Cells is not a FACT. It was in a novel, and if that made it fact then Wing Zero has the most powerful Beam Saber of all time given it can cut at a molecular level(infamous Particle Sword).

One thing though is, the simple fact Humanity is not afraid of DG cells like your claiming. They deployed the speculative DG Cells in Turn A to combat the Turn X. If indeed that was made canon.

If the speculation isn't true, then you still can't use hidden=highest tech.

PX, GN, SEED/Gene Manipulation, Zero System, and Satellite Power Generators are all hidden away/gone despite being supremely powerful things. The fact is we don't have any source saying FC is the most powerful and things seen in OO, Wing, and SEED are all things that can have effects to the point that can and do change the course of human kind.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Currently watching Gundam Seed Destiny. I feel sorry for Dijibil's cat lol. He seems to have a very stressful life.

PhiLonius

Currently watching Gundam Seed Destiny. I feel sorry for Dijibil's cat lol. He seems to have a very stressful life.

That guy had almost every villain cliche in the book covered.

Stroking a cat while sitting in an armchair.
Massive network of TV's, watching everyone's moves.
Secret bases on top of secret bases.
Super weapons galore.
Evil laugh.
Periodically losing his cool.
Offbeat fashion.
Last minute escapes.

Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ 1 - 5:
This is actually really great.

Wow. I'm not sure how I feel about the characters, apart from Judau, buuuuuut it's a different take on the series that work so far.
I miss the English voices, though. :/

Enron

Banned
Finally started working on the HG Titanium Sinanju shield again. This thing is a total bitch to paint, either doing it with a reverse-wash like I did with the rest of this kit or doing it like EvilKatarn did it.

14617374996_8a441d6327_b.jpg

Took about two hours to remove the paint and since the crevices were so small and sunk down into the shield, it was so much harder than the raised details of the chest, knees, and wrists were. You can see it is sloppy and even with super fine swabs, you are still going to hit things you shouldnt and remove paint in places where it shouldn't be. But that's fine. I made extra-sure that all of the gold lines are themselves clean, so all i have to do is let this dry and then fix the edges with gloss black applied with a small brush and it should look pretty good with a gloss clear coat on top to even everything out.

Blader

Turn X having DG cells comes from its kit manual.

TruePrime said:

Supposedly the surface of the Earth in Turn A is completely covered in a film of nanomachines from the moonlight butterfly, so a sense they are still everywhere...

Celcius

°Temp. member
I just finished watching Gundam Seed Destiny and enjoyed it but have a few questions:

1. So Athrun and Cagalli aren't together anymore?
2. What was Rey's connection to Talia and Gilbert? Also, who was the man that Talia walked away with after shaking Gilbert's hand? Is Rey the child that appears in the photos with Talia? (they seemed to have different color hair...)
3. I'm guessing that Mue had amnesia after waking up and Zaft knew who he was so they decided to make him a commander?
4. Rey was a clone of Mue's father just like Rau Le Creseut?
5. Where does Lacus get the Strike Freedom Gundam from?

PhiLonius

I just finished watching Gundam Seed Destiny and enjoyed it but have a few questions:

1. So Athrun and Cagalli aren't together anymore?
2. What was Rey's connection to Talia and Gilbert? Also, who was the man that Talia walked away with after shaking Gilbert's hand? Is Rey the child that appears in the photos with Talia? (they seemed to have different color hair...)
3. I'm guessing that Mue had amnesia after waking up and Zaft knew who he was so they decided to make him a commander?
4. Rey was a clone of Mue's father just like Rau Le Creseut?
5. Where does Lacus get the Strike Freedom Gundam from?

1. Nope.
2. I always figured he was a
clone left in the care of Durandel after La Crueset dies. Random dude. No. She mentions her son at the end.
3. Yep.
4. Yep.
5. [url]Terminal[/URL]

Enron

Banned
Sinanju shield getting closer! Looks much better than it did last night.

14647251894_6b6ab5a64a_b.jpg

Still need to do one more touch up pass, then one last cleanup pass and I can clearcoat this thing and be done with it. It wont be precise but I think it will be good enough.

I just lurk this thread usually, but I just finished some obscure-ish Wing fan art, and I'd be interested if anybody has any feedback on it:

Sry, might break monitors. Absurd how little the different action figures, model kits, and even animation agree on various things. Even the animation has a bracket that's there... and then not. But anyway, my best interpretation plus my own arsty stuff stuck on top.

Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ 1 - 28:
ahahahahah such a lighthearted take on the series
wow so funny and cute and no one important died
ahahahahaha yep totally not ridiculously harsh as the show goes on
conflict what are you talking about only judau laughs for the family
ahahahahaha

why must this show hurt me so bad

CorvoSol

ahahahahaha

Oh man, episodes 26-28 are like a brick wall. Like, I'll never forget the one where Judau and team run into those Zeon remnants in the desert and slaughter them, and the episode ends with the guy's wife just crying in the night next to his gun. That entire trip to Africa, man.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
ahahahahaha

ZZ was one my first gundam show, I got into it because of the comedy and "young people having fun in war" You have a long road ahead of you.

----------------------------------------

So while running through a bunch of old boxes I found 5 SD Gundam from my middle/high school years 15 years ago (fuck human aging). They survived surprisingly well under a bunch of heavy books.

I think I found my next goal after I finish my MG Gundam, I going to disassemble all of them, fix/sand all the nodes, and repaint all of them. Not going to add any details in the paints, I really really hate masking tapes. Hopefully I can someway remove and reuse the stickers.

Here's one of them:

I always knew I had no talent in panel lining :( Yes they are painted with marker, the one from 99c stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom