• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beth Cyra

Well if we get more ZZ types I want a model kit of Tri Zeta damn it.

Also a Full Armor ZZ would be sweet Bandai. Not to mention a FAZZ to go with Zeta A1

RangerBAD

Perfect Grade Sleep Mode comes with a book, a bed, a night cap and covers for you to tuck it in.

Master Grade Expensively Fragile Mode comes with a hammer since you're going to break the parts beyond repair anyway.

Comes pre-broken in box. Was ran through a paint mixer before sent.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Anyone used Tamiya Surface Primer Spray before? Does it last an entire MG kits if you paint it by individual pieces? I ordered the 180ml can.

Enron

Banned
Anyone used Tamiya Surface Primer Spray before? Does it last an entire MG kits if you paint it by individual pieces? I ordered the 180ml can.

If you use short bursts, while moving the can/pieces around while painting, you wont waste as much spray and might be able to get a whole kit done out of 1 can.

RangerBAD

So is the Beltorchika’s Children manga going to become canon and link things to Unicorn? That's what Gundam wikia seems to say. Doesn't Unicorn connect pretty well with CCA? Or are they just going to make mention of the token
Laplace's Box
?

Speaking of canon, would you want CCA to stay canon or for Beltorchika's Children to replace it?

CorvoSol

So is the Beltorchika’s Children manga going to become canon and link things to Unicorn? That's what Gundam wikia seems to say. Doesn't Unicorn connect pretty well with CCA? Or are they just going to make mention of the token
Laplace's Box
?

Speaking of canon, would you want CCA to stay canon or for Beltorchika's Children to replace it?

Which version explains briefly that Quess Paraya died before she was born? Because the version of CCA that doesn't have that horrible brat is the one that deserves to be canon.

The answer to that question lies entirely in which one makes the Sazabi and Nu non-canon and the uglies Nightingale and Hi-Nu canon.

I don't think CCA will ever be made noncanon. Besides, cutting stuff out of canon is pretty dumb in my opinion. Kyle Katarn would agree.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Laplace's Box
?

Unicorn connects to CCA kinda like Dragon Ball AF connects with DBZ

It's probably the most professionally produced piece of fanfiction in anime history and I really hope the franchise doesn't start revising how everything happened in order for it to have a proper place in the timeline

RangerBAD

Well, I thought about it overnight, but they could make changes so the manga is more like CCA, but with maybe Hi-Nu and Nightingale being canon. I really don't know. It's wikia, so yeah.

Beth Cyra

Well, I thought about it overnight, but they could make changes so the manga is more like CCA, but with maybe Hi-Nu and Nightingale being canon. I really don't know. It's wikia, so yeah.
I really don't believe this will ever be the case.

Nu is iconic and both far more popular and well known then Hi-v.

Unless they remake the movie and give it the exposure Wing Zero Ew got there is no way Hi-v replaces Nu as Amuro's final suit.

They're just tieing BC to Unicorn, because Unicorn is the new hotness.

Besides,
there are multiple clips of the Nu in Unicorn already
. I would just take the manga (and it the original novel) as just a fun alternative telling.

In any case, are there any scanslations of BC yet?

RangerBAD

They're just tieing BC to Unicorn, because Unicorn is the new hotness.

Besides,
there are multiple clips of the Nu in Unicorn already
. I would just take the manga (and it the original novel) as just a fun alternative telling.

In any case, are there any scanslations of BC yet?

Yes, Zeonic-Corp did Prologue chapter 1. Which has Corvol's favorite character.

RangerBAD

Whoa

That Bright beard is OP

Yeah, it's boss. Unfortunately he opts for a mustache in Hathaway's Flash.

340px-HASAULE-2-10.jpg

Which version explains briefly that Quess Paraya died before she was born? Because the version of CCA that doesn't have that horrible brat is the one that deserves to be canon.
Yessssssssssssssssss.
I don't think I've ever hated a character so much in Gundam, even considering Reccoa and Katz.
And she was just in the movie!
How fucking crazy is that?

No, she was in Beltorchika's Children too. The difference is that
Hathaway is the one that kills her in the novel (and presumably in the manga too?

CorvoSol

She is in both versions.

Booooooooooooooooooooooo

The answer to that question lies entirely in which one makes the Sazabi and Nu non-canon and the uglies Nightingale and Hi-Nu canon.

I don't think CCA will ever be made noncanon. Besides, cutting stuff out of canon is pretty dumb in my opinion. Kyle Katarn would agree.

Why would anyone want to render a whole section of the story noncanon? I don't even like some shows like Victory and I'm not out for that.

I'm sure he's just THRILLED about Beltorchika being a major character in the story at all.

Y'know, I really don't like Beltorchika cuz she's not Sayla and she's a total bitch during her introductory arc, but she sorta pales in comparison to Quess. In no small part because, as much as I dislike Beltorchika, she's treated more or less the same as everybody else is. The explanation for "why is Amuro hanging out with this annoying woman" is very easy, too.

But everything about Quess just pisses me off. I struggle to think of a single not awful thing she did.

Yessssssssssssssssss.
I don't think I've ever hated a character so much in Gundam, even considering Reccoa and Katz.
And she was just in the movie!
How fucking crazy is that?

I think I may hate Quess even more than Katejina.

Just finished the first chapter (the prologue I guess, which is the only chapter out currently?).

Not bad so far. Actually it shows some promise. There are some scenes that are shot for shot lifted from the movie, such as Quess's conversation with her father about "10 billion people in space". I guess that's unavoidable though.

Favorite scene was the one between Beltorchika and Amuro. A cute little moment. Her characterization is pretty close to later appearance in Zeta. A bit more mellow, but still strong headed and forceful. I also really like the scene where Bright talks about basically being under constant supervision by the Federation.

They're already showing off that piece of shit nightingale though.

RangerBAD

So apparently Haro is a man inside a Haro suit.

Haro-man (age unknown)
-His son is in 4th grade
-His name is Kazuo

I wonder if his son is Kamille's Haro.

Haro-man (age unknown)
-Very flexible
-Is currently having a dispute with his wife

Just finished the first chapter (the prologue I guess, which is the only chapter out currently?)

This was from last month's Gundam Ace, I think, so I guess it'll be monthly. Not sure how frequently Zeonic-Corp will release (be prepared to never get another chapter).

Beth Cyra

The Duckroll Challenge

Update 2

Got the torso finished.

FUCK

Luckily I have steady hands and I'm good at Gunpla and not a nub like duckroll, but holy shit this is some frustrating garbage.

Let's get right into it, shall we

14527299541_95ac81f406_b.jpg

So again - this is a great looking kit. However....look at the crotch. The wing-like skirt armor - well, those are tiny little pieces that you have to mount on TINY little pegs that literally look like flash that you have to cut off of the pegs (but aren't) and then you have to cap it with that tiny little grey piece.

I mean, look at this fucking bullshit. LOOK AT IT.

14529728602_d1c884b037_b.jpg

Fuck youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. Fuck you fuck you fuck you. It probably took me 15 minutes just to get those two pieces of skirt armor on.

Fuck.

Ok, now to the back.

14530691435_dbaec54b4e_b.jpg

The back skirt armor was not nearly as bad as the front. however, the GN Drive can die screaming in a fire. first of all, the gn drive has some turbine detail on a really tiny ring piece. Cool! that's a nice touch. HOWEVER BANDAI WANTS YOU TO COVER THAT DETAIL WITH A FOIL STICKER SO WHEN YOU COVER THE PIECE WITH A CLEAR GREEN PART IT WILL HAVE A METALLIC EFFECT WHEN THE GN DRIVE IS OPEN. What. The. Fuck. Why did you go through the trouble of putting really nice turbine detail on a piece and then just ruin it with a thick foil sticker. The design decisions fucking boggle my goddamned mind with this horrorshow of a kit.

14530777575_b690178608_b.jpg

Also, the grey arms that "hold" the GN Drive are also dumb as fuck. They don't want to close around the drive without popping off. I basically mashed the fuck out of them to snap into place i dont ever plan on moving them ever. Again.

So that's the torso. Again, it looks fantastic. But it's so annoying. The engineering is too clever for its own good, the materials are questionable, and shit like covering up nice detail with a STICKER just enrages me. This is the most angry i've ever been at a Gunpla and I've been doing this since 1997.

But I must soldier on

Buritto break, then i shall continue on. Aiming to have arms and head completed before the AM!
So I just finished the upper body and I wanted to weigh in.

Honestly Exia's build has been really rather easy with only a few problems.

The stickers, simply put are fucking awful and the cramped spaces make them look their absolute worst.

The front skirts where not bad for me, however I hated the back. Not because the construction but the horizontal bar is to thin for that length so it feels very bad and weak.

One thing you didn't mention was the chest vents.

The yellow piece of the vent is connected by a very thin circle on another thin peg, this wouldn't be a problem but they have you snap the outer armor over it so I could easily see a duckroll snap the hell out of these things.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Gunpla is a fucking expensive hobby.

And I can't really even look at models anymore without thinking of all the cool ways I can paint them. :( And painting this Rebawoo takes so much time and effort. I've had it for nearly 3 months and still have pretty much just the head, torso and almost the arms done. Hand-painting takes way too much time D;

Blader

Unicorn connects to CCA kinda like Dragon Ball AF connects with DBZ

It's probably the most professionally produced piece of fanfiction in anime history and I really hope the franchise doesn't start revising how everything happened in order for it to have a proper place in the timeline

if you're gonna go that route, anything not made by Tomino is professional fanfiction.

Jubern

I'm still not painting. I tried some Gunpla markers but the results weren't very good.
Nub life 4ever.

I guess the best course is :
- Cut a piece;
- Cut/sand the nub
- Paint
- Let it dry?

Doesn't that take like, forever? How lobg does it typically takes for a piece to dry?

If you are going to paint, it takes some time. There are multiple coats for each piece, and each coat has to dry before you paint the next coat.

You have at the minimum.

-base coat
-detail(this can easily become multiple coats based on complexity)
-Panel lining
-top coat

I not entirely sure, but I think you have to let it dry over night before adding the nwxt coat

Jomjom

Banned
Laplace's Box
?

I want BC to be made canon because for one, CCA was the most compromised of Tomino's vision for the story when compared to Hi-Streamer or BC. He did not want Chan, but Sunrise is stupid!

Other reasons:
Who the F is Chan???
Nightingale and Hi-nu are better than Sazabi and Nu
Beltorchika is awesome and a love interest fitting for Amuro (did I mention who the Ffffff is Chan?)
BC handles Quess's death much better (which leads to....)
This needs to be canon for Hathaway's Flash, a UC story even better than Unicorn, to exist

CorvoSol

Nu and Sazabi are way better than the Hi-nu and ESPECIALLLY the nightingale.

And Chan isnt that bad.

To be honest, of all Amuro's potential love interests, Chan is one of the least offensive. I didn't particularly care for her the way I did Sayla, but she didn't tick me off the way Beltorchika did.

Course then Hathaway pulled that utter bullshit at the end and I wasn't even mad at that point because Zeta had me desensitized.

God damn, Bright, maybe if you'd bothered to raise your son he'd've turned out more like the other guys you raised and less like Katz Jr.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I'm still not painting. I tried some Gunpla markers but the results weren't very good.
Nub life 4ever.

I guess the best course is :
- Cut a piece;
- Cut/sand the nub
- Paint
- Let it dry?

Doesn't that take like, forever? How lobg does it typically takes for a piece to dry?

I think this explain it the best:

Remember the wash the pieces with soapy water, and brush it a bit with toothbrush, the piece has oil on it that screw up the paint.

Paint usually can be touch and repaint from 15min - 1 hr depending on the type of paint, stuff like acrylic take 1 week to cure.

Read more gundam origin (v5) will get to v6 soon since Ive had it for a bit.

Another great entry in the gundam origin manga storyline. Turning back the pendulum of time to focus on the upbringing of one of the most memorable Gundam characters, Char, made it easily be one of the best volumes of the series thus far. Enjoyed much of the Casval storyline though it was sad that he and Asteria suffered so much as children and were on several occasions constantly on the run. Teared up a bit mainly when they had to leave their mother locked up in the tower (was confused why the old lady forced her to be there?) and eventually met an early death of sadness and longing. Though there were great fun moments especially the random Casval Garma signaling as young ones and then the really brief fun time with Casval and Char. Best page.
Casval looked stunning back then and certainly in current times as Char too (a previous volume moment especially).The brief cameos by other characters at the same time like Mirai and Amuro were nice touches to help align it with other characters storylines.

Funniest moment was Kai and that paper airplane with the new crew scene and his laughing at the one characters attempts to talk to Mirai.

Kwixotik

I really want to read Origin. Plus the hardcover books are beautiful. I wish I wasn't broke.

My RG Freedom came yesterday, started on it today. It's coming along slowly, but I think I'm going to make a lot of progress tomorrow. Still working my way through 0079. I'm on episode 28 now and enjoying it. There are some things I don't understand (Char's place/motivations,
his/Sayla's supposed royal titles? If they're Zeon royalty, why is the Zabi family in power? Why does Kycilia seem to operate independently against the rest of the family?
). Maybe all of this will be explained along the way, I don't know.

Read more gundam origin (v5) will get to v6 soon since Ive had it for a bit.

Another great entry in the gundam origin manga storyline. Turning back the pendulum of time to focus on the upbringing of one of the most memorable Gundam characters, Char, made it easily be one of the best volumes of the series thus far. Enjoyed much of the Casval storyline though it was sad that he and Asteria suffered so much as children and were on several occasions constantly on the run. Teared up a bit mainly when they had to leave their mother locked up in the tower (was confused why the old lady forced her to be there?) and eventually met an early death of sadness and longing.

Casval and Artesia's mother had been a performer/lounge singer before her marriage, so her marriage to Zeon was disliked by his upper crust family. With him dead and unable to protect her, she was essentially imprisoned by his resentful family. It's implied she was gradually poisoned through her food and that's how she died.

Jomjom

Banned
I really want to read Origin. Plus the hardcover books are beautiful. I wish I wasn't broke.

My RG Freedom came yesterday, started on it today. It's coming along slowly, but I think I'm going to make a lot of progress tomorrow. Still working my way through 0079. I'm on episode 28 now and enjoying it. There are some things I don't understand (Char's place/motivations,
his/Sayla's supposed royal titles? If they're Zeon royalty, why is the Zabi family in power? Why does Kycilia seem to operate independently against the rest of the family?

It is heavily suggested that Degwin Zabi assassinated or at least was guilty of some wrongdoing in Char's father's deah, in order to take power. He however kept the Zeon name for the cause to avoid suspicion and the fact that many people were loyal to Zeon. After the elder Zeon was dead, Char and Sayla were hidden and given their fake, current names to keep them safe. Kycilia is just really loyal to the Zabi family (mostly to the father) and as you get to the end that'll become apparent.

For much of 0079 Char's motivation is to manipulate the Zabis and basically take them down because of what the did to his family. Aside from that of course he somewhat shares his dad's ideals about spacenoids and whatnot, but takes it in a much more extreme level later on. So basically he's an ace who climbed up the ladder to get close to the Zabis so he could take his revenge on each and every member of the family Kill Bill style. The whole time the Zabis have no idea who he really is.

RangerBAD

Just keep watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom