• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think I'm gonna just hold off on it. I'm still building HG kits. As nifty as those alternate ZZ proportions are to my eyes, I am obviously not at this level yet.

How many HGs have you done?

MGs and RGs really aren't that much more difficult I think. They're just more time consuming because they have more parts. If you can build an HG kit, you can build an MG or a RG

CorvoSol

MGs and RGs really aren't that much more difficult I think. They're just more time consuming because they have more parts. If you can build an HG kit, you can build an MG or a RG

Let's see, Six for sure, but then there's two special edition Wing kits that I'm not certain on, plus one Kotobukiya kit that is approximately the same.

NEO0MJ

Let's see, Six for sure, but then there's two special edition Wing kits that I'm not certain on, plus one Kotobukiya kit that is approximately the same.

If you can handle a Kotobukiya kit then an MG will be no problem. Unless it's something huge like the EX-S Gundam.

CorvoSol

Plastic dust isn't any better, if you see yourself sanding, invest in a respirator.

So, thus far all the more sanding I've done has been to take a soft file and sorta remove the bits of plastic I failed to clip off of a piece. But what do you guys mean by respirator? Like some kinda mask or a straight up oxygen tank?

It's not really immediate, though. The more description I hear I don't have the money or space to build something like this. An HG I can open and build on a desk, but these MGs require I find a space to paint, and if the dust is hazardous I'll need somewhere where I won't be breathing it in after construction, either.

If you can handle a Kotobukiya kit then an MG will be no problem. Unless it's something huge like the EX-S Gundam.

Really? The Koto kit took me like, 8 hours to do, though, haha. It's a nice kit, though. Slightly more detailed than an HG kit, I think, and it stacks up nice in comparison to the Robots Tamashii version of the mech.

The other problem with anything about a MG is that it isn't as economical as an HG for me. I'm kinda a broke student so 2 HGs for the price of 1 MG still sorta works best.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Rebawoo Painting Update #3

iJ4pUvU2IiNfU.JPG

iAnb1DeGRfGfX.JPG

Finally stopped being lazy and painted the arms. All of my fine brushes are fraying so I didn't really get as fine as I could on the little insignias :( The gesso does seem to save me layers of the gold though, and means I have to be less OCD about the colour consistency as well.

With the top all put together now, it's looking pretty awesome. All I need to figure out is how to cover up some of that red on the chest, since it's much more noticeable than other imperfections. Dreading doing the legs now because it's probably the most amount of painting.

Ken

a respirator is overkill if you're just using regular old sandpaper right? lol

i'm just using those 3M wetordry sandpaper sheets.

NEO0MJ

Really? The Koto kit took me like, 8 hours to do, though, haha. It's a nice kit, though. Slightly more detailed than an HG kit, I think, and it stacks up nice in comparison to the Robots Tamashii version of the mech.

It does kinda depend, though I feel that on average koto kits are more complex than Gundam kits.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
So, thus far all the more sanding I've done has been to take a soft file and sorta remove the bits of plastic I failed to clip off of a piece. But what do you guys mean by respirator? Like some kinda mask or a straight up oxygen tank?

It's not really immediate, though. The more description I hear I don't have the money or space to build something like this. An HG I can open and build on a desk, but these MGs require I find a space to paint, and if the dust is hazardous I'll need somewhere where I won't be breathing it in after construction, either.

The other problem with anything about a MG is that it isn't as economical as an HG for me. I'm kinda a broke student so 2 HGs for the price of 1 MG still sorta works best.

Just use wet sandpaper, wet the surface before sanding, and wear a dust mask. Respirator may felt like an overkill, but it only cost like 30 to 40 bucks.

I think it is worth saving for mg, just for the skeleton, color variation, and the number of moving parts.

Beth Cyra

A few Build Fighters were announced.

Reinko Resign figure

And. Aila Mad House figure.

Granted I thought both were trash as far as characters go but I expected Gaf to blow up for their Waifus.

Seriously. I think I did one HG (Gundam GP-01Fb) before moving onto Master Grade (Ground Gundam, Zeta Plus A1) and Perfect Grade (Zeta) models. You're overthinking this, mang.

Ken

A few Build Fighters were announced.

Reinko Resign figure

And. Aila Mad House figure.

Granted I thought both were trash as far as characters go but I expected Gaf to blow up for their Waifus.

woooooah

is there any artwork for those or just an announcement?

Think I'm gonna just hold off on it. I'm still building HG kits. As nifty as those alternate ZZ proportions are to my eyes, I am obviously not at this level yet.

my first kit was an MG. granted it was an older one (GM Custom) but they really aren't that difficult if you can read instructions.

Beth Cyra

woooooah

is there any artwork for those or just an announcement?

my first kit was an MG. granted it was an older one (GM Custom) but they really aren't that difficult if you can read instructions.
Previews are already out on Gundam Guy.

Grey proto types but they look nearly complete.

Enron

Banned
Titanium Sinanju now has his shield, after much pain and suffering (painting the gold detail was a BITCH).

14707449436_1459c3352f_c.jpg

14750351003_e2a41381fc_c.jpg

The shield didn't come out quite as i had hoped, but I think its about the best i can do without using those god-awful stickers. Recessed detail is really hard to get to, even when doing a reverse wash with small swabs.

One thing i noticed when trying to pose this guy - even though I said earlier how amazing the overall articulation was for the unicorn kits - one limitation on the sinanju is the inability for the lower arms to rotate. The upper arms rotate just fine, but having that extra rotation for the lower arm would go a long way in helping to pose the shield.

Next up - painting the Sianju's rifle/grenade launcher. Want do do the barrels a metallic grey or dark silver while doing the rest of the rifle in a metallic gunmetal. Have to find some references first though.

Enron

Banned
Rebawoo Painting Update #3

Finally stopped being lazy and painted the arms. All of my fine brushes are fraying so I didn't really get as fine as I could on the little insignias :( The gesso does seem to save me layers of the gold though, and means I have to be less OCD about the colour consistency as well.

With the top all put together now, it's looking pretty awesome. All I need to figure out is how to cover up some of that red on the chest, since it's much more noticeable than other imperfections. Dreading doing the legs now because it's probably the most amount of painting.

Should have gone with that reverse wash that i used on the sinanju. it makes those sleeve details insanely easy.

Acid08

Banned
Crossbone Gundam was AMAZING. Ugh I want an animated adaptation soooooo bad. I liked how it wasted no time on whiny bullshit. TOBIA PUNCHED A LITTLE GIRL IN THE FACE BECAUSE HE THOUGHT SHE WAS FULL OF SHIT. WHAT.

Enron

Banned
If im going to start doing the "take photos of gunpla" thing, I should get me a better camera than my shitty one in the Note 2.

CorvoSol

Crossbone Gundam was AMAZING. Ugh I want an animated adaptation soooooo bad. I liked how it wasted no time on whiny bullshit. TOBIA PUNCHED A LITTLE GIRL IN THE FACE BECAUSE HE THOUGHT SHE WAS FULL OF SHIT. WHAT.

Tobia can and will punch anyone*

*except deer

Acid08

Banned
Seriously I think F91+Crossbone is my second favorite Gundam story right behind G. Both Seabook and Tobia are just too great. Fuck you Crya Yamato.

Enron

Banned
What do you mean reverse wash?

here yah go

Thanks for the compliment! It took much longer than I thought, and despite the shitty paint i chose, it ended up looking pretty decent.

The technique is called a "reverse wash". what you do is you prime and spray down your "detail" color (I used lacquer just to be safe since we will be putting a solvent on top of that).

Once that has dried, you spray down a gloss clear-coat. This will make the top layer of paint MUCH MUCH easier to remove.

After that has dried, you spray your primary color (for sinanju chest/arm/knees that would be black, in this case gloss black to match the shiny finish of the titanium kit) as an enamel (needs to be a weaker paint than the top coat you just sprayed since nearly all top coat is lacquer-based).

I let that dry for about 5 or 6 hours - enough for the black enamel to dry a bit but not cure fully as this makes it easier to remove.

Then, i took some hobby swabs (you have to use hobby swabs - they are really fine and are wound REALLY tight so you dont get cotton fibers stuck in the somewhat-still-tacky paint surface), soaked them in some enamel thinner, and then started rubbing that VERY CAREFULLY on the raised detal of the Sleeve pieces. The black paint will come off, revealing the gold underneath.

Here's a good how-to.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
If im going to start doing the "take photos of gunpla" thing, I should get me a better camera than my shitty one in the Note 2.

Did you try putting the note 2 on a stand to take a picture instead of holding it with your hand? It made a huge difference with crappy camera.

Beth Cyra

Master Grade Blue Frame D was announced.

Ive always preferred Blue Frame to Red, but given the stupid as hell decision to rip the Tactical Arms from Blue so they could give it to the more popular Red means ill skip this release.

Ezalc

Seriously I think F91+Crossbone is my second favorite Gundam story right behind G. Both Seabook and Tobia are just too great. Fuck you Crya Yamato.

I just wish F91 had gotten a more expanded story. The movie was cool but it felt so rushed.

So apparently there's a HobbyTown USA right next to the clinic I go to almost every week.
How are the prices at those stores? Pretty decent?

I'll be picking up some extra paint and clear coats if they have some available, but a model to build tomorrow would be cool too~

Also that new Star Build Strike fills me with rage.

Kwixotik

I messed up the metallic stickers on Freedom's arm so I'm just not going to include them. Their coolness was questionable anyway. I am kinda =/ about it though. 3 episodes left in 0079.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom