• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Just got the Tamiya Spray Primer from the mail, why is it so small... double the price and half the size as Kylon. However, I can't complain, the primer is so thin and smooth you can barely tell it is painted.

5 min I primed all the parts that usually took 30 min per days x 4 days. Let's hope that can will last me the whole kit, $14 a can hurts if I going to need 2 of those per kit.

Jubern

1428 yen isn't even that bad, considering you get to keep the cup.

I'm sure the beer inside is something shitty like Asahi though

Well I like Asahi, so I sure as hell don't care. But yes you're right about the price. A mug cup there is about 1200 yen. So the jockey + beer at under 1500 is okay-ish. I'm on my way there ahah.

Enron

Banned
Just got the Tamiya Spray Primer from the mail, why is it so small... double the price and half the size as Kylon. However, I can't complain, the primer is so thin and smooth you can barely tell it is painted.

5 min I primed all the parts that usually took 30 min per days x 4 days. Let's hope that can will last me the whole kit, $14 a can hurts if I going to need 2 of those per kit.

depending on where you are, some other primers might be readily available. Like ModelMasters (testors) for instance.

Just ordered my Universe Booster MG and some more Micron pens for panel lining, but I saw that Gundam Planet has those neat card things for the Gunpla x Gundam.info contest and I could get the HG ZZ Gundam and the Gouf, too!

I want the booster now, but I want the cards and the other kits too. :(
why is life so hard

CorvoSol

Speaking of the HG ZZ I don't know why, but it bugs me that I can point the shoulder fins down but not upward. They either lay flat or face down when I swear I seem them posed upward most often.

Anyway, are their other grade ZZ's? Cuz from what I've looked into there aren't, and that kinda blows. If I ever did move on to a more expensive and detailed grade, I'd want to have both Zeta and ZZ.

Beth Cyra

Ah, good. Some day when I have money and interest, I guess.

DO NOT DO THIS.

As you know Corvo, I'm easily ZZ's biggest fan on this board and even I say do not go near MG ZZ or FAZZ.

These probably the single two suits in most need of 2.0's.

Holding the weapons? Nope
Posing them? Nope
Overall Quality? Nope!

Unless you want a great G Fortress stay away from these kits.

CorvoSol

DO NOT DO THIS.

As you know Corvo, I'm easily ZZ's biggest fan on this board and even I say do not go near MG ZZ or FAZZ.

These probably the single two suits in most need of 2.0's.

Holding the weapons? Nope
Posing them? Nope
Overall Quality? Nope!

Unless you want a great G Fortress stay away from these kits.

Wait, the ZZ can't hold it's own weapons, or the arms don't support the weight of the weapons?

Because let me tell you it pisses me off something fierce that the HGUC ZZ can only hold one weapon in one hand. I mean, yes, the ZZ never dual wielded, but it DID wield its beam saber with both hands and the suit can't recreate that even though it was a regularly used pose. And the hand that the ZZ holds its blaster in doesn't come with a part for holding the blaster.

Still better than the HGUC Zeta, though, where the Beam saber comes attached to the hand as a single part you have to paint in a kit specifically marked as "no paint required!"

Both of those are the most baffling aspects of those kits.

Acid08

Banned
Alright, first MG ordered: Shining Gundam. Also got that Tamiya tool thing with it, wish there was a hobby shop near me that carried some of this stuff. I think I'd have to go to SF to find a store with a good selection of Gunpla.

Beth Cyra

Wait, the ZZ can't hold it's own weapons, or the arms don't support the weight of the weapons?

Because let me tell you it pisses me off something fierce that the HGUC ZZ can only hold one weapon in one hand. I mean, yes, the ZZ never dual wielded, but it DID wield its beam saber with both hands and the suit can't recreate that even though it was a regularly used pose. And the hand that the ZZ holds its blaster in doesn't come with a part for holding the blaster.

Still better than the HGUC Zeta, though, where the Beam saber comes attached to the hand as a single part you have to paint in a kit specifically marked as "no paint required!"

Both of those are the most baffling aspects of those kits.
No it can't.

The Twin Beam Canon is so damn big that ZZ can't hold it in any pose really. Straight down it's so heavy that ZZ can't actually hold it, even worse when it's straight out it's so damn large and ZZ's shoulder poseablity so bad he can't even put it out in front of him.

The Beam Sabers are 1/60 Perfect Grade size Beam Sabers, but the cost is that they are so big, and the peg inside so small that ZZ can't hold the damn things.

This is a very old kit and the even if you take the weapons away from ZZ it can't hardly do anything because the bulk just to great for the kit engineering at the time.

CorvoSol

No it can't.

The Twin Beam Canon is so damn big that ZZ can't hold it in any pose really. Straight down it's so heavy that ZZ can't actually hold it, even worse when it's straight out it's so damn large and ZZ's shoulder poseablity so bad he can't even put it out in front of him.

The Beam Sabers are 1/60 Perfect Grade size Beam Sabers, but the cost is that they are so big, and the peg inside so small that ZZ can't hold the damn things.

This is a very old kit and the even if you take the weapons away from ZZ it can't hardly do anything because the bulk just to great for the kit engineering at the time.

Aw, yeah, that doesn't sound so hot.

So what's the deal with these Extra Fit MG models I keep seeing online?

CorvoSol

What do you mean by extra fit?

I dunno. When I googled "Master Grade ZZ Gundam." I got some results labeled "Extra Fit" and they lead to a series of Universal Century Gundams that appeared to be customized to have different proportions and weapon designs.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Seems like ZZ extra fit is the resin armor kit, it use freedom's skeleton and just snap on the armor.

resinxtrafitzz-1.jpg

Looks really cool, and not that many color, so you only need 3 cans of paint. You need to buy freedom separately.

The bandai FAZZ can only make one pose, instead of the arm holding the gun, it is the backpack holding the gun, with the arm attached to it. And you need to take off the shoulder armor to hold the gun.

If you don't mind it looking like this, and only this, you can get the bandai one.

CorvoSol

Are those official bandai releases?

I really don't know. I can't even figure out if they're statues or models because I can't find any one site dedicated to explaining what they are. Which suggests to me they're more a series of fan made customs, but they're pretty cool either way.

Like, when I punch the term into Google I get mostly sales places like ebay or online hobby shops.

I -think- it's a custom line by a fan modeler but I can't tell.

Some quick images of the ones I've seen pop up the most:

Like I said, the proportions in the ZZ are definitely way different.

Jubern

I'm sorry to say I think there's no way. It's a limited edition with no restock coming. Maybe they'll have some other cool stuff though!

I need that beer glass so bad you don't even know. Well, if you follow me on Untappd then you'd know.

I'm also kicking myself for not buying the big reusable shopping bag at Gundam Front.

Acid08

Banned
I finished the first volume of Crossbone and I really like it! Getting to see Seabook and Cecily again is great. I love F91 but maaaaaan it this had all been one big series it could have been so great. If I have one bad thing to say so far it's that I'm not a big fan of the character art. Everyone looks like a child in that trademark early 90's manga way.

Speaking of the HG ZZ I don't know why, but it bugs me that I can point the shoulder fins down but not upward. They either lay flat or face down when I swear I seem them posed upward most often.
What do you mean by this? I'm about to order it, so I want to know if it's not a good idea to get it.

Also, how about that Zeta HGUC? How's that one? Any issues with it?

BFA

Alright, first MG ordered: Shining Gundam. Also got that Tamiya tool thing with it, wish there was a hobby shop near me that carried some of this stuff. I think I'd have to go to SF to find a store with a good selection of Gunpla.

I'm from SF. You should check out Ying Hobbies & Toys in Chinatown.

Beth Cyra

What do you mean by this? I'm about to order it, so I want to know if it's not a good idea to get it.

Get HGUC ZZ.

No kit is perfect, and ZZ has a few very minor issues. However HGUC ZZ is one of the best kits on the market as far as HG's go when it comes to capturing the suit and easily the best ZZ Bandai has ever produced outside of maybe the Robot Damashii.

Acid08

Banned
I'm from SF. You should check out Ying Hobbies & Toys in Chinatown.
Thanks! The only place I've seen them in SF so far is that little hobby shop in Japantown but I remember them being pretty expensive.

They also had Initial D models there but they require painting so meeeeeeeh

BFA

Thanks! The only place I've seen them in SF so far is that little hobby shop in Japantown but I remember them being pretty expensive.

They also had Initial D models there but they require painting so meeeeeeeh

Yeah Japantown has a few shops but they're so overpriced. Whereas this store tends to have "buy one get one free" deals going on and the prices are fair. Plus the owner there is a cool guy.

Get HGUC ZZ.

No kit is perfect, and ZZ has a few very minor issues. However HGUC ZZ is one of the best kits on the market as far as HG's go when it comes to capturing the suit and easily the best ZZ Bandai has ever produced outside of maybe the Robot Damashii.
That's great to hear, then. Thanks!
ZZ Gundam is quickly becoming my favorite Gundam.
(I've only watched MSG, Z, and ZZ so far.)

I'll be picking this one up and maybe Zeta if it's a decent kit. That RG broke my heart. :(

Acid08

Banned
So my impression of UC so far is basically: YOU'RE A NEWTYPE AND YOU'RE A NEWTYPE AND GUESS WHAT FUCKER YOU'RE A NEWTYPE TOO

Beth Cyra

I want to get back into Gundam. Any recommendations? I used to watch Gundam wing on Toonami back in the 90's.

Did you like the Wing style of show?

I know many people who loved Wing end up loving OO. So you can look into that one.

If you want a more more DBZ/SM esk show you can go with G Gundam.

SEED is a great opener show that many people love and really blew Gundam after X and Turn A's low ratings.

CorvoSol

Oh, no, the shoulder thing is a minor gripe that has no bearing. Get the HGUC ZZ. It's great. The one actual problem of the kit is that it only has one hand for gripping its weapons with, but since technically the ZZ never uses more than one weapon at a time, that's not a huge problem.

The HGUC Zeta is also great. The only problem is it doesn't come with a beam saber of its own. It comes with a hand piece that is merged to a beam saber and requires you paint the fingers and beam saber, but if you happen to have other beam sabers lying around (which I did) it's not a problem.

Get HGUC ZZ.

Agreed. HGUC ZZ was a great kit. The build was straightforward, the decals didn't give me much trouble, and it really looks great on my shelf next to my HGUC Zeta.

NEO0MJ

I want to get back into Gundam. Any recommendations? I used to watch Gundam wing on Toonami back in the 90's.

Start with Universal Century by watching the original movie trilogy. After that watch The 8th Mobile Suit Team and War in the Pocket. After that watch Zeta Gundam, followed by ZZ gundam (Or you can just wiki their plots if you don't feel like watching them, though I really recommend watching Zeta). Finally Watch Gundam Unicorn.

If you want something crazy and really different from the standard Gundam formula there's G Gundam.
You should also watch Turn A, it's real good and features some of the franchises best mecha designs.
There's also Gundam Build Fighters, which is awesome though I feel some of the fun is lost if you don't have some good background on Gundam. Still, a lot of members said they liked it even though the missed some jokes and references.
Gundam Seed is famous for reviving the franchise, but right now I don't really look back fondly on it.
Gundam 00 had a good first season though I feel that the show falls apart during the second season. And the less spoken about the movie the better.

So my impression of UC so far is basically: YOU'RE A NEWTYPE AND YOU'RE A NEWTYPE AND GUESS WHAT FUCKER YOU'RE A NEWTYPE TOO
That's the magic of spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace~

Oh, no, the shoulder thing is a minor gripe that has no bearing. Get the HGUC ZZ. It's great. The one actual problem of the kit is that it only has one hand for gripping its weapons with, but since technically the ZZ never uses more than one weapon at a time, that's not a huge problem.

The HGUC Zeta is also great. The only problem is it doesn't come with a beam saber of its own. It comes with a hand piece that is merged to a beam saber and requires you paint the fingers and beam saber, but if you happen to have other beam sabers lying around (which I did) it's not a problem..
Alright, thanks you beautiful peeps. I'mma order them.
I thank Raptor Jesus every day for Perk TV and Amazon so I can get Gunpla for nothing.

CorvoSol

Seems like ZZ extra fit is the resin armor kit, it use freedom's skeleton and just snap on the armor.

resinxtrafitzz-1.jpg

Looks really cool, and not that many color, so you only need 3 cans of paint. You need to buy freedom separately.

The bandai FAZZ can only make one pose, instead of the arm holding the gun, it is the backpack holding the gun, with the arm attached to it. And you need to take off the shoulder armor to hold the gun.

If you don't mind it looking like this, and only this, you can get the bandai one.

So, just so I'm sure here, cuz I think I found a place that sells them for my future purchase, if I bought one, I'd need to buy a MG Freedom, too, then build the skeleton of the MG Freedom, right?

Also, do Master Grade kits instruct you to build their skeleton's first? If so, I could see myself one day picking up two MG Freedoms and using one to build this.

G Gundam because it will make you believe in love.

Amen!

Tobia is a cool ass dude.

Preachin' truth tonight.

Killah

So, just so I'm sure here, cuz I think I found a place that sells them for my future purchase, if I bought one, I'd need to buy a MG Freedom, too, then build the skeleton of the MG Freedom, right?

Also, do Master Grade kits instruct you to build their skeleton's first? If so, I could see myself one day picking up two MG Freedoms and using one to build this.

I really don't know. I can't even figure out if they're statues or models because I can't find any one site dedicated to explaining what they are. Which suggests to me they're more a series of fan made customs, but they're pretty cool either way.

Like, when I punch the term into Google I get mostly sales places like ebay or online hobby shops.

I -think- it's a custom line by a fan modeler but I can't tell.

Some quick images of the ones I've seen pop up the most:

Like I said, the proportions in the ZZ are definitely way different.

I believe those are all resin conversion kits, made by Chinese compnanies. They are models in the sense that some use inner frames from existing kits so they are poseable like normal model kits. But full resin kits are basically just statues with little to no articulation at all. They aren't officially made or endorsed by Bandai (unless made by B-Club). For a an idea of what they look like before assembly:

718bf97ba371bd739ca5fcc1197d6a18_28.jpg

They tend to have a lot more pieces then regular kits, and are more detailed than Bandai kits. They require more time and work put into them, such as sanding, painting, drilling, cleaning, test fitting, not in that order. There is another thing that's really important to note, resin dust can kill you! So if you're going to buy a resin kit or resin conversion kit, make sure you have a respirator.

As for your question on MGs, yes you build the inner frame and then you put the outer armor on afterward.

CorvoSol

It's like a challenge!

"To test your skills as a REAL builder, rise to the level!"
Except if you mess up, you ded.

Yeah it's that whole death part that is extremely off putting.

Tobia is dabes.

For me the best part about Tobia is still how he calls up God and tells Him to back off so he can wreck the Jovians without any divine intervention.

Probably because God owes him some favors.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com

Yep, tho I am not sure how much of the MG Freedom you have to build.

Make sure you buy some patching putty and sand paper too, they are not factory perfect, so you have to fix them up here and there.

Also use Wetordry sandpaper, wet the surface with water to sand, while wearing some kind of respirator (you will need one for spraying paint anyway).

Do your research, resin dust will not kill you, however they are not biodegradable. Which mean if you inhaled it, it will stay in your lung, forever. You can imagine the lung damage/cancer/whatever, don't be cheap.

Edit: I did some research, someone suggest to get a wet sandpaper, and sand it inside a bucket of water, zero dust. Lung saved, try it on plastic first tho, I still suggest respirator since it for painting anyway.

CorvoSol

Think I'm gonna just hold off on it. I'm still building HG kits. As nifty as those alternate ZZ proportions are to my eyes, I am obviously not at this level yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom