• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G Gundam 17

Here we get to know more about Scharwz Bruder, possibly the most deadly Ninja in all of Anime.

Because, in addition to having the effectiveness of a competent ninja, no one would suspect that a german (without an accent oddly enough) who is concealed by a mask coloured in black, red and yellow, wears a longcoat, underneath of which is a bright yellow jumpsuit, and carries a Samurai sword could possibly be a ninja.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There's two dubs that actively hurt the show.

MSG and Zeta. MSG has a great lead but everyone else sucks. Zeta...just ruins the show. It's an awful dub and I have no idea how it ever got approved.

MSG and Zeta. MSG has a great lead but everyone else sucks. Zeta...just ruins the show. It's an awful dub and I have no idea how it ever got approved.
Kamille, Kamille~
It's so good! Also, whoever voices Char deserves like, two awards.
Well, if Full Frontal, whoever he is, has a secret that involves voice, I'll check the dub.

Both versions of unicorn are great. Japanese has Ikeda as full frontal though. Not that whoever did him did a bad job. Its just a shame they didnt get kopsa
and swaile

So, seven minutes in and I already see a mobile suit I want.
What the hell was that green Sinanju-looking thing? It was RAD.

Also, is the pilot the
fake queen of Neo Zeon from ZZ Gundam or something?

Edit 1: Alright, his name is Benaajher? The fuck? Also, he sounds like Kamille. oh fuck hes a newtype isnt he
Edit 2: excuse me did the old man say
Bright Noa
ooooooooh
Edit 3: 25 minutes in and... yeah, it has to be her. What a terrible way to foreshadow. Ugh.

So, seven minutes in and I already see a mobile suit I want.
What the hell was that green Sinanju-looking thing? It was RAD.

Also, is the pilot the
fake queen of Neo Zeon from ZZ Gundam or something?

Edit 1: Alright, his name is Benaajher? The fuck? Also, he sounds like Kamille. oh fuck hes a newtype isnt he
Edit 2: excuse me did the old man say
Bright Noa
ooooooooh
Edit 3: 25 minutes in and... yeah, it has to be her. What a terrible way to foreshadow. Ugh.

Just keep watching.

Ezalc

G Gundam 17

Here we get to know more about Scharwz Bruder, possibly the most deadly Ninja in all of Anime.

Because, in addition to having the effectiveness of a competent ninja, no one would suspect that a german (without an accent oddly enough) who is concealed by a mask coloured in black, red and yellow, wears a longcoat, underneath of which is a bright yellow jumpsuit, and carries a Samurai sword could possibly be a ninja.

Clearly the best German ninja of all time. Clearly.

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn 1:
oh my goooooooooooooooooooood
what is this amazing thing that I just watched
them graphics and world-building and Neo-Zeon and unicorns and transformation
so good~

I'm feeling this "ultimate" new-type we have as a main character. Good stuff.
Also, how did they do a plot twist like that successfully in an hour? The hell?

It's like, OK, you sat through Zeta and ZZ so here's a reward have fun oh look transformation and lights and 3d and woah

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn 1:
oh my goooooooooooooooooooood
what is this amazing thing that I just watched
them graphics and world-building and Neo-Zeon and unicorns and transformation
so good~

I'm feeling this "ultimate" new-type we have as a main character. Good stuff.
Also, how did they do a plot twist like that successfully in an hour? The hell?

It's like, OK, you sat through Zeta and ZZ so here's a reward have fun oh look transformation and lights and 3d and woah
Welcome to Universal Century fanservice heaven. :)

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn 2:
Holy shit at the Sinanju vs Unicorn fight. I can't even.
Also I knewwwwwwwwwwwwww it~
I knew it was her!
Now they just have to say that
Full Frontal is Char's brother or son or sister or clone or whatever.
Fantastic development all around for all characters, cool fighting scenes, and more information on the Laplace Box.
I can already tell these episodes will make my wallet hurt. :(

Kwixotik

I only got up to episode 2 of Unicorn. I thought it was some of the coolest shit I'd ever seen but felt like I didn't totally understand what was going on and needed to go back and watch previous UC series first. Those two episodes were so great though.

Is there anywhere online where I can browse gunpla models by TV series? Preferably a site able to sort by series -> suit -> grade, but just being able to sort a comprehensive list by series would be pretty useful.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I thought watching Gundam Unicorn going to hurt my wallet, but it ended up hurting my soul...

This model is no longer in stock, and you can't find them anywhere less than 300 bucks... It looks so darn good even with just top coat.

539575_10151435497144208_576511264_n.jpg

480736_10151435496634208_2058169034_n.jpg

480486_10151435496714208_1016446586_n.jpg

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn 1-7:
I find myself without the proper words to describe how fantastic this journey was.
My original intention was to be able to watch this series after being told how good it was, so I watched over 120 episodes of Gundam to be able to understand the plot at its core.
I can easily say that it was completely worth it.

The Gundam designs were superb and will definitely hurt my wallet later on. Silver Bullet, Sinanju, the Unicorn Gundam, and the Zeta Plus were some of my favorites and will be purchased, as it was intended. You know, because this show is to sell model kits.
How they were able to fit such a story in seven hours, giving every single detail the attention it deserved while making it an intense experience for the hardcore fans, baffles me.
This is definitely my third favorite anime series of all time, just behind Neon Genesis Evangelion and the original Mobile Suit Gundam. I can only describe it as an "experience" for the hardcore fan.

I would write a lot more than this, but I just watched over 6 hours of Gundam non-stop so I'mma work on my panel-lining for a while.

Edit: I have to be honest. There were some very crucial characters to the story that were straight-up stupid. Still, almost all of the other ones were written in a superb way.

Beth Cyra

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn 1-7:
I find myself without the proper words to describe how fantastic this journey was.
My original intention was to be able to watch this series after being told how good it was, so I watched over 120 episodes of Gundam to be able to understand the plot at its core.
I can easily say that it was completely worth it.

The Gundam designs were superb and will definitely hurt my wallet later on. Silver Bullet, Sinanju, the Unicorn Gundam, and the Zeta Plus were some of my favorites and will be purchased, as it was intended. You know, because this show is to sell model kits.
How they were able to fit such a story in seven hours, giving every single detail the attention it deserved while making it an intense experience for the hardcore fans, baffles me.
This is definitely my third favorite anime series of all time, just behind Neon Genesis Evangelion and the original Mobile Suit Gundam. I can only describe it as an "experience" for the hardcore fan.

I would write a lot more than this, but I just watched over 6 hours of Gundam non-stop so I'mma work on my panel-lining for a while.

Edit: I have to be honest. There were some very crucial characters to the story that were straight-up stupid. Still, almost all of the other ones were written in a superb way.

Zeta Plus is actually from Gundam Sentinel, so if you like that you should check out S Gundam, Ex-S Gundam, FA ZZ, Zeta Plus A-1/C-1.

I will however say you should be held over a spit for ignoringg the majesty that is the Jesta.

Zeta Plus is actually from Gundam Sentinel, so if you like that you should check out S Gundam, Ex-S Gundam, FA ZZ, Zeta Plus A-1/C-1.

I will however say you should be held over a spit for ignoringg the majesty that is the Jesta.
The Jesta doesn't count since it's been in my shopping cart for like, a month. lol
I have SO MANY KITS TO ORDER but I'm moving, so... Gotta wait. lol

tuffy

Bandai Ent. outsourced the dub to the Ocean Group, which was traditionally the go-to company anytime someone needed a lot of episodes dubbed for not a lot of money. Though a lot of the same cast managed to nail the tone of G Gundam rather well, it didn't work out for Zeta at all. A different director can make all the difference sometimes.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bandai Ent. outsourced the dub to the Ocean Group, which was traditionally the go-to company anytime someone needed a lot of episodes dubbed for not a lot of money. Though a lot of the same cast managed to nail the tone of G Gundam rather well, it didn't work out for Zeta at all. A different director can make all the difference sometimes.

Thing is though Ocean did almost all of the other Gundam dubs which are fantastic to serviceable. Nothing anywhere near as bad as Zeta or MSG.

Thing is though Ocean did almost all of the other Gundam dubs which are fantastic to serviceable. Nothing anywhere near as bad as Zeta or MSG.

MSGs dub is amazing. Particularly Char and amuro, but all the other cast members did a great job too. There are a few one line throwaway characters that are odd, but overall msg is one of my favorite dubs.

Unless you're refering to the movie trilogy, which is pretty awful. Even Steve Blum sucked in it.

I feel you. A few characters didn't get fleshed out right and they weren't minor characters.
I even feel like some of the minor characters got more development through the story than a few of the main ones, especially in the antagonist side.

also the banshee pilot was lame and dumb and stupid and dumb

Beth Cyra

MSGs dub is amazing. Particularly Char and amuro, but all the other cast members did a great job too. There are a few one line throwaway characters that are odd, but overall msg is one of my favorite dubs.

Unless you're refering to the movie trilogy, which is pretty awful. Even Steve Blum sucked in it.

I like Char.

I however can't stand the use of Brad in lead roles. Amuro was okay at best and by the time OO rolled around I could no longer listen to him and barely got 3 episodes deep in OO before I shut it off.

Beth Cyra

I even feel like some of the minor characters got more development through the story than a few of the main ones, especially in the antagonist side.

also the banshee pilot was lame and dumb and stupid and dumb

Riddhe isn't very popular on Gaf it seems.

I'm actually one of the few that really like him. He has the best suit selection in my mind (Delta Plus->Banshee Norn) and I like his character design the best.

Character isn't perfect, but then UC doesn't have good characters to me outside of Seabook, Judau, Haman, and Bright.

RangerBAD

Do you mean the Banshee (Marida) or the Banshee Norn (Riddhe) pilot?

Clearly the douchebag that
hurt my Marida!

I'm actually one of the few that really like him. He has the best suit selection in my mind (Delta Plus->Banshee Norn) and I like his character design the best.

Character isn't perfect, but then UC doesn't have good characters to me outside of Seabook, Judau, Haman, and Bright.

Marida didn't deserve that sort of death considering all the terrible things she had been through.
Petty emotions motivated him and he was pitiful for it.

Banshee Norn is awesome though. Wasted on a small man like him.

Riddhe isn't perfect, but then UC doesn't have good characters to me outside of Seabook, Judau, Haman, and Bright.
Don't get me wrong, I dislike his character progression rather than his design, suit usage, or anything of the sort.
Awesome to Katz-tier to good is not development. It's shit.

Also, I'm a fan of Char's voice in MSG and Zeta. I know that they are different dudes voicing him, but it actually sounds like a transition that makes sense.
Full Frontal/Char didn't do it for me.

I don't hate Riddhe either. Other than his character's misstep in Episode 4, he's interesting enough. Plus you're right. He gets the best MSes. The ReZel, the Delta Plus and Banshee Norn are all legit as hell.

I disagree about your assessment of characters though. UC has tons of great characters.

The entire cast of MSG: Amuro, Bright, Char, Sayla, Hayato, Kai, Mirai and Frau are all aces. Zeon has great characters too. Ramba Ral, Char, the Zabi family, Lalah. All fantastic, iconic characters.

Zeta has good characters too. Kamille is a fantastic lead. Emma is top tier. Char continues to be awesome, as does Amuro. Yazan is fun to hate. I think people over exaggerate how annoying Katz is. He makes bad decisions, yes. But he pays for it. My personal preference for worst character is Beltorchika, and I'll admit she grew on me in her appearance at Dakar. I certainly never prayed every episode that she would get killed off.

ZZ has some decent characters. Judau is a fun protagonist. In fact, I liked all the junk yard kids. I'm a sucker for Mashymre and his lieutenant Gottn as well. You get some great Zeon aces in general, actually. I'll admit, Glemy has grown on me as well. Only characters I don't like are Chara (whom I found annoying) and the Ples.

Only character in CCA I don't like is Quess. But no one likes Quess. You're not supposed to though. She's supposed to be annoying. Her last name is Pariah for a reason.

Unicorn has great characters, Angelo aside. Otto and Zinnerman are both fantastic captains. The series heavily features Londo Bell, which is my favorite hero faction in all of Gundam, so you see tons of Londo Bell personnel, including the doctor from Zeta/ZZ Gundam, Dr. Hassan.

Marida is one of my favorite characters in all the franchise. Mineva has some great moments (that diner scene <3) Banagher sucks in episode 4, but every other episode he's pretty decent. Not my favorite protagonist, but hey. He did a good job. Full Frontal was intriguing as a villain. I wish they had more info on him though. Too mysterious in the end, and his resolution was kind of vague.

Early UC OVAs have good characters too. Bernie, Al and Christina are all fantastic. And South Burning was pretty gud. I'm also a sucker for Gato (Nina's asspulling was not his fault >_>) and Delaz. Cima seems to be pretty popular as well. I don't hate Kou, but I certainly don't like him.

Late UC:

Seabook is a boss. Cecily is a boss. I really like Meitzer Ronah is a fascinating character. It's a shame he's underdeveloped and gets little screen time.

I'm a huge fan of Usso. I find him to be one of the most innovative pilots in the franchise. I also rather like Marbet. And
Fake
Jinn Gegenam was hilarious

Beth Cyra

Okay guys, we got an old rare that popped up.

Wing Gundam Zero EW B-Club 1/72 scale. Shits all over the perfect grade and probably the single best representation of Zero to ever be made.

378$. Expensive but it's gone for much more when importing to NA.

In stock at HLJ encase anyone is interested.

I don't hate Riddhe either. Other than his character's misstep in Episode 4, he's interesting enough. Plus you're right. He gets the best MSes. The ReZel, the Delta Plus and Banshee Norn are all legit as hell.

I disagree about your assessment of characters though. UC has tons of great characters.

The entire cast of MSG: Amuro, Bright, Char, Sayla, Hayato, Kai, Mirai and Frau are all aces. Zeon has great characters too. Ramba Ral, Char, the Zabi family, Lalah. All fantastic, iconic characters.

Zeta has good characters too. Kamille is a fantastic lead. Emma is top tier. Char continues to be awesome, as does Amuro. Yazan is fun to hate. I think people over exaggerate how annoying Katz is. He makes bad decisions, yes. But he pays for it. My personal preference for worst character is Beltorchika, and I'll admit she grew on me in her appearance at Dakar. I certainly never prayed every episode that she would get killed off.

ZZ has some decent characters. Judau is a fun protagonist. In fact, I liked all the junk yard kids. I'm a sucker for Mashymre and his lieutenant Gottn as well. You get some great Zeon aces in general, actually. I'll admit, Glemy has grown on me as well. Only characters I don't like are Chara (whom I found annoying) and the Ples.

Only character in CCA I don't like is Quess. But no one likes Quess. You're not supposed to though. She's supposed to be annoying. Her last name is Pariah for a reason.

Unicorn has great characters, Angelo aside. Otto and Zinnerman are both fantastic captains. The series heavily features Londo Bell, which is my favorite hero faction in all of Gundam, so you see tons of Londo Bell personnel, including the doctor from Zeta/ZZ Gundam, Dr. Hassan.

Marida is one of my favorite characters in all the franchise. Mineva has some great moments (that diner scene <3) Banagher sucks in episode 4, but every other episode he's pretty decent. Not my favorite protagonist, but hey. He did a good job. Full Frontal was intriguing as a villain. I wish they had more info on him though. Too mysterious in the end, and his resolution was kind of vague.

Early UC OVAs have good characters too. Bernie, Al and Christina are all fantastic. And South Burning was pretty gud. I'm also a sucker for Gato (Nina's asspulling was not his fault >_>) and Delaz. Cima seems to be pretty popular as well. I don't hate Kou, but I certainly don't like him.

Late UC:

Seabook is a boss. Cecily is a boss. I really like Meitzer Ronah is a fascinating character. It's a shame he's underdeveloped and gets little screen time.

I'm a huge fan of Usso. I find him to be one of the most innovative pilots in the franchise. I also rather like Marbet. And
Fake
Jinn Gegenam was hilarious

Yep don't like a single one of those other then Char. I like Char, but I don't like Char in CCA so it balances him below the other characters.

As for Kamile, yeah I don't understand how people can like this douchebag. I know he gets better later in the series, by episode 4 I already can't stand him.

This is a hobby, I'm not going to force myself to hate something long enough for it to get better, it either grabs me from the start or gives me glimpses of something I could like or I drop it.

Zeta had the sexy, sexy Titans Mark II, but that was it.

Edit: damn, I meant to edit on to my previous post. Sorry Gents.

Also, I'm a fan of Char's voice in MSG and Zeta. I know that they are different dudes voicing him, but it actually sounds like a transition that makes sense.
Full Frontal/Char didn't do it for me.
I don't think I would have even liked 0079, Zeta and Unicorn as much as I do if it wasn't for Shuichi Ikeda's Char/Quattro/Full Frontal. And it's not just that his voice is baller, it makes so much sense for continuity's sake that it would piss me off in the english dubs.

I don't think I would have even liked 0079, Zeta and Unicorn as much as I do if it wasn't for Shuichi Ikeda's Char/Quattro/Full Frontal. And it's not just that his voice is baller, it makes so much sense for continuity's sake that it would piss me off in the english dubs.

Kopsa did Char's voice in both MSG and CCA. It's a damn shame he isn't in Zeta. Hearing his voice recite Zeta lines in Dynasty Warriors Gundam is euphoric.

It was actually really well done in both Zeta and MSG's dub, but I'm sure that if I had watched the original in Japanese, it would have been even better.

Kopsa did Char's voice in both MSG and CCA. It's a damn shame he isn't in Zeta. Hearing his voice recite Zeta lines in Dynasty Warriors Gundam is euphoric.
OK, which Dynasty Warriors - Gundam is the best? Because I need one like nao.

I've only played Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3. I can't say I enjoyed it. Well that's not true. I have over 100 hours in it. But I stopped having fun after about 5 hours. But the game WAS addicting and there was just so much stick-and-carrot baiting that I just kept going. And going. And going. Even though I was doing the same shit literally over and over. You have pilots to upgrade, suits to unlock and upgrade, missions to unlock (even if they're basically the same mission repeated over and over).

The latest one is Reborn. I haven't been paying much attention to the reception for it. I think it's a PS3 exclusive, and I only have an Xbox 360

Ken

It was actually really well done in both Zeta and MSG's dub, but I'm sure that if I had watched the original in Japanese, it would have been even better.

OK, which Dynasty Warriors - Gundam is the best? Because I need one like nao.

DW Gundam 3 was great IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom