• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

I'm still not sure what the difference is as I've only done one HG kit so far. Are the MG kits more pieces? I'm still trying to get the hang of it. Seems so daunting.

MGs are more pieces, larger (1/100 scale versus 1/144 scale of HGs), more detailed and have inner frame skeletons.

MGs are more pieces, larger (1/100 scale versus 1/144 scale of HGs), more detailed and have inner frame skeletons.
Cool, thanks! I may give MG kits a try once I'm comfortable with HG. Hope I don't go too crazy with the kit buying, I love me some Gundams!

CorvoSol

Does anyone here own a Metal Build? Is it worth it? Really tempted to splurge.

Sometimes I feel this way. Then I realize that 200 dollars is too much to spend on any one piece.

Both of these are valid options. As long as we get some Build Spiegel in Corvo's alternative as well.

Give me a crossover Spiegel Deathscythe so I can die a happy man.

I love how no one is afraid to call out Amuro or straight up slap him in MSG.

Pfft. Jesus slept with his best friend's girl and then slapped his best friend for daring to suggest it was wrong. Bright coulda done never laid a finger on Jesus.

Does the Neo Zeong come with a Sinanju to put inside it, or do you have to buy that separate?
It comes with Sinanju and the bazookas thankfully.

Gave the gf the Beargguy III as well. We gonna have a fun Gunpla weekend building that and Neo Zeong! :)

Damn it donkey, why do you have to tempt me with a EU store? The shipping + import tax from Japan had dissuaded me from getting it. I THOUGHT I WAS OVER THIS.

Hahahahahaha. Trust me, I almost walked out with 5 kits after picking up the Neo Zeong from the shop.

Just finished the HG RX-78-2 from the Gunpla Starter Set 2, and... I'm not sure if I like it or not.
It looks great with its subtle markings made for lining and the new modern style it has going on, the metal chain for the Gundam Hammer is neat, and the fact that it is my second favorite Gundam ever made me appreciate the build more.
But it has some really annoying issues. :(

The hands are weak and wobble everywhere, there are no left hands to hold all the weapons that were provided, and the beam saber is just a piece of white plastic. Like... Come on! This is the flagship mobile suit for the series. Add some extra hands, use the polycap placement that the other models use, and add the crucial weapon for the suit. It's ridiculous.

I mean, sure. It's better than the Farsia. Anything is better than that piece of junk. Still, I expected more.
At least I've learned some new tips from the Gunpla Beginner Guide for building.

Bombless

Megahouse Tieria Erde 1/8, out November 2014 - 7k JPY
FIGURE-007341.jpg

NEO0MJ

wait, why is Tieria a lady with a nice body? I mean, he always looked pretty androgynous but I'm pretty sure he never had a...bust.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
All these reminded me that I remembered nothing in gundam 00 plot. The only thing I remember is that main character keep saying "I am gundam".

NEO0MJ

So he had a sex change for a mission? Did it last for the rest of the show or was it temporary? Man, 00 must have gone crazy in S2. I only watched a few episodes from it before I dropped the second season.

CorvoSol

So he had a sex change for a mission? Did it last for the rest of the show or was it temporary? Man, 00 must have gone crazy in S2. I only watched a few episodes from it before I dropped the second season.

He just disguised himself as a woman for one episode and danced with the main villain, who was not at all deceived from what I remember. Aside from the Exia Repair, the second season of 00 was really bad. And then the movie was worse.

He just disguised himself as a woman for one episode and danced with the main villain, who was not at all deceived from what I remember. Aside from the Exia Repair, the second season of 00 was really bad. And then the movie was worse.

00 is the Code Geass of Gundam shows. It had a great first season then they changed stuff up for the second season and the show proceeded to turn to shit.

In the case of 00 It had plot threads that either went nowhere (Nena's character "development" in S2), end abruptly (Lockon-Feldt relationship) come out of left field (Lyle got together with Anew for...some reason) or just served no purpose in the end (Anew
becoming evil, snapping out of it thanks to Lyle then gets killed by Setsuna moments later.
On a similar note Saji's sister in S1. Tell me what purpose she served again?

I finished the season, but that was a turning point for me. It just didn't make any sense at all. They actually had women they could have used for the mission.

Maybe they wanted to see what Tieria would like as a woman? Otherwise I don't get why someone like feldt could not fill in either

CorvoSol

One could argue that Code Geass was shit in its first season.

One could also argue that embracing that was the only thing that kept R2 interesting. Which I don't think could be said of S2 of 00.

There was just too much going on in S2 and so much of it was either uninteresting (Smirnov's shitty son) or nonsensical (Louise Hallevy suddenly an ace pilot with a drug addiction.) Piled up on top of some half-assed attempt at being Zeta Gundam.

Sometimes I think I need to go back and give the first season a second chance, though.

CorvoSol

I don't really know if I should go into the specific type of fanservice. CorvoSol might scold me again.

For clarity's sake, I don't mind, but I've seen mods drop the hammer on people for using that word in the past and I'd hate to have you banned for it.

But yes, I think we all know that Tieria's fan-service sequence was for a specific niche of the audience.

RangerBAD

For clarity's sake, I don't mind, but I've seen mods drop the hammer on people for using that word in the past and I'd hate to have you banned for it.

But yes, I think we all know that Tieria's fan-service sequence was for a specific niche of the audience.

The scolding part was just a joke. lol Well, we also know who the character designer so that plays into it too. It was Gundam 00 fujoshi edition in some ways.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Just ordered another kits that will take 2-3 weeks to ship, this will force me to work faster to finish the current kit! Go me!

Acid08

Banned
When I sat down to start my model today I didn't expect to finish it in one day but wow, had so much fun with it that I ended up making it all. So, my first model in more than a decade: Shining Gundam 1/60!

Lego minifig there for scale. It was a fun build and I like the finished product. It isn't super duper posable but I guess that's to be expected considering how old it is. It has a core fighter in the back which can be removed. The one thing I didn't like were the gold pieces, they're just painted yellow plastic. So when you clip the pieces out of the runners you end up with yellow spots where they were connected. Thankfully they're mostly hidden. I want to get a marker to do some of the panel lining too.

Having some clippers was amazing too. Last time I was building these I was just twisting the pieces out. Clippers are godsends. And I'll try to take better pictures tomorrow when I can grab a good camera, that shot is from my awful phone camera.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
The design is copy from the resin kit, but this one is plastic.

Obviously this one is a bit smaller ~120 vs 100, there are some loose/tight joint that you have to fix, a bit cheaper plastic (according to some review I made).

1/144(more like 120 imo) Qubeley.

I plan to paint it into Puru's purple instead of white. Had to get the "bootleg" one from China, because the Bandai version is so bland compare to this one :(
Dude, that's awesome! Send me the link to it.
Can't wait to see it painted. Puru's Qubeley is way too cool for school.

So, finally finished panel-lining the HG Gundam and...
It looks so gooooooooooood! I followed the instructions from the guide to make the lines super thin and I'm glad with how it came out.
It's still a crappy kit, but it looks too cool to ignore.

JCG

One could argue that Code Geass was shit in its first season.

One could argue the opposite based on its craziness as intended entertainment and the better parts of its tongue-in-cheek romanticism. Which, in hindsight, also applies to the follow-up series.

As for Gundam 00, that was different enough. It had a relatively orthodox exploration of speculative sci-fi concepts in addition to carrying the mantle of Sunrise's flagship property. In retrospect, I honestly tend to have more lasting problems with the movie than with the second season, when trying to view the big picture rather than just reacting to events as they happened.

Yes, they did come up with some rather weird ideas that felt off and didn't exactly develop all of the characters as much as they could, but S2 can be essentially summed up as Celestial Being cleaning up its own mess and, one way or another, they eventually managed to do that. If nothing else, it served as an okay stopping point for the whole narrative. The film felt like an unneeded extension, going off to address a purely academic tangent that might have possibly sounded good on paper, but it wasn't implemented properly in practice. In any event, looking forward to seeing more of its robots in GBF.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Harsh but true, I don't find Shadow Gundam to be that great design wise. Pretty much right there in the middle. I'd put Deathscythe a bit ahead of it...but not a ton.

Acid08

Banned
Hating on either of those Gundams is crazy.

Though I'll say that Deathscythe is definitely the coolest Wing suit while Spiegel ain't even top 5 in G.

The combo of both of them sounds great though. The crazy close quarters combat of Spiegel with DC's stealth abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom