• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

I used to love it as a kid, but then I thought it was pretty meh and fell in love with the Tallgeese instead

Yeah I'm not a huuuuge fan of the Deathscythe anymore. It's mostly all about the OZ suits for me, but WZC and Epyon are too good to ignore.

That and Heavy Arms. Love that thing.

Acid08

Banned
Heavy Arms is awesome until it eventually, in every battle, runs out of ammo. It sure is glorious for the five minutes it fights before that happens though.

Agreed on the Tallgeese though, such a fucking dope suit.

And the Shenlong is cool too, even if it is an inferior Dragon Gundam. Sandrock is about as boring as it gets ability wise. Looks okay though.

Acid08

Banned
Alright, let me know what y'all think of this. So far I've seen Wing, Seed, G, F91, Build Fighters and I'm almost done with MSG. My for sure watch list includes:

08th
Zeta
ZZ(well, maybe not for sure, depends how much I like Zeta)
Char's Counterattack
Turn A
Unicorn

Is there anything major that I'm missing, or other series you guys could honestly recommend?

I refuse to watch Destiny.

Alright, let me know what y'all think of this. So far I've seen Wing, Seed, G, F91, Build Fighters and I'm almost done with MSG. My for sure watch list includes:

08th
Zeta
Char's Counterattack
Turn A
Unicorn

Is there anything major that I'm missing, or other series you guys could honestly recommend?

Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory
Victory Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam AGE (Don't knock it, I hated it at first but it grew on me)

08th
Zeta
Char's Counterattack
Turn A
Unicorn

Gundam X

PhiLonius

Decided to take a break from my Gundam rewatch after SEED and Destiny to catch up on some other rewatches and recommendations.

Eureka Seven. Never again.

Back to Gundam now. G, X and then all of UC.

Ezalc

Hating on either of those Gundams is crazy.

Though I'll say that Deathscythe is definitely the coolest Wing suit while Spiegel ain't even top 5 in G.

The combo of both of them sounds great though. The crazy close quarters combat of Spiegel with DC's stealth abilities.

Deathscythe is godawful. I dislike everything about it's design, same goes for Wing too. The only suits from Wing I like are Sech's and the kung-fu kid whose name I can't remember. The one that just became DLC for full boost on ps3.

Deathscythe is godawful. I dislike everything about it's design, same goes for Wing too. The only suits from Wing I like are Sech's and the kung-fu kid whose name I can't remember. The one that just became DLC for full boost on ps3.
Wing Gundam is straight-up gorgeous in green, so shush your filthy mouth.

So, apparently I'm never getting my ZZ Gundam, so my money's gonna go to a mono-eye model soon~ Also, it appears that I notice seam lines on everything now. :/

RangerBAD

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x231vov

10 min. of G-Reco and 10 min. of Tomino talking.

Epic as fuck (the part at first with the music)!

tWRJaAi.gif

CorvoSol

They certainly didn't help, but I wasn't too fond of a lot of the characters, Eureka and Renton especially. The action isn't very good either.

Ah, well, I'm sorry you didn't like it. I was a big fan of it (just finished rewatching it today!), but I can understand not liking the characters, as it took me a long time to warm up to it.

Does this cool your hype for G-Reco, then?

PhiLonius

Ah, well, I'm sorry you didn't like it. I was a big fan of it (just finished rewatching it today!), but I can understand not liking the characters, as it took me a long time to warm up to it.

No. Everything I've seen so far, including the new stuff from today, looks good. Plus it's Gundam.

Hopefully it all comes together.

Ezalc

Wing Gundam is straight-up gorgeous in green, so shush your filthy mouth.

So, apparently I'm never getting my ZZ Gundam, so my money's gonna go to a mono-eye model soon~ Also, it appears that I notice seam lines on everything now. :/

I will admit that Fenice looked substantially better than the original design, in large part to it being green and asymmetric.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

For my money E7 is the best "Gundam" show this century. Haven't finished Build Fighters yet so I don't get to rate it. Like many Gundam shows though it has regrettably awful sequels!

Andrew J.

ZZ Gundam 02

The first thing that comes to mind when seeing Judau as a space junker is "shades of Gundam SEED Astray's Lowe", but of course it's actually the other way around.

Of all the people to unexpectedly survive the bloodbath that was the Zeta finale, it'sthis guy. Could be worse, I guess; Katz could have turned up alive.

These guys are awfully chill about suddenly becoming accomplices to grand theft auto and attempted murder...and then getting suborned into some kind of infiltration assault.

Ah yes, now I see why people say the early part of this show is real goofy. Don't think there's been a foodfight in any other Gundam, except maybe Build Fighters.

Judau's first time piloting the Zeta feels authentic, with lots of awkward fuckups. It's pretty funny, too.

Beth Cyra

The Altron is the one that just came out.

I can get liking Spegiel but Wing is an advancement of the Shining Concept so it's weird to like Shining and ignore Wing.

More then all that Altron is freaking AWFUL. Not even Katoki could save that freaking thing.

Done with RG Destiny.

The only negatives I can think of with this kit are that the shin armor plates refuse to connect flush, the translucent red stickers on the green rifle look like shit and I do not like the brow split they went with. And no, that's not my fault that it's there - it seems to be in every picture of the kit I've seen.

And the biggest flaw by far is that Destiny is totally unable to stand upright with all that gear he's got on his already huge backpack. Seriously, he'll just fall flat on his ass any way you try to pose him. If you want to have him standing then I recommend ditching the ship-sinking sword and the green rifle completely. Otherwise invest in a stand. Luckily I have a few laying around.

Positives - it looks amazing as you'd expect from a RG kit. It's detailed, the color separation is great, tons of opportunities for panel lining which I took advantage of and most of all it is easily posable without feeling like everything is going to fall apart or break (looking at you, Zeta). Seriously, I was able to move the green rifle from its folded position on the back right into use without anything falling off.

It's pretty crazy how I went from completely hating the Destiny Gundam to needing a model kit of it. EXVS made me love it. The CSb, man.

Does G-Reco start pretty soon?

In about six weeks I think. Along with Build Fighters S2

Ezalc

The Altron is the one that just came out.

I can get liking Spegiel but Wing is an advancement of the Shining Concept so it's weird to like Shining and ignore Wing.

More then all that Altron is freaking AWFUL. Not even Katoki could save that freaking thing.

I just don't like it at all, the only part I liked were the legs. Fenice improved it somewhat by being asymmetrical but I still dislike the gundam design wise. It gets even worse when it has those stupid angel wings.

Looking at better pictures of Altron gundam the only thing I like about it is that lazer trident weapon it has. Other than that I agree that it's pretty awful.

PhiLonius

Done with RG Destiny.

It's pretty crazy how I went from completely hating the Destiny Gundam to needing a model kit of it. EXVS made me love it. The CSb, man.

Great work. Sucks having to keep it on a stand just so it can stay upright.

I feel like with a few alterations, the Destiny would be my all time favorite suit.

Windam

Scaley member
Just looked up a few DVD prices and holy mother of God. I got my DVD copy of Char's Counterattack for like $15 10 years ago and now it's going for over $90 in some places? Insane. This really kills my hope of having a proper DVD collection of 0079 and Zeta. I doubt future Blu-Ray releases will be affordable (lol Japan prices) or will have the English voice tracks or subs. Goddammit, Bandai. :'(

Acid08

Banned
So I finished 0079.

It was super interesting to see where the series started out and where some of the Gundam-centric tropes come from. I didn't find some of it all that engaging though. The beginning is rough for a couple of reasons, the easiest to get over were the animation and sound hurdles. It is definitely a bit jarring at first but you kinda adjust quickly and it's not a big deal. The pacing of that early part is just dreadful though, I was bored for the first 10 or so episodes. After that it was pretty smooth sailing though and I actually started enjoying Amuro's Newtype journey.

The Newtype stuff was actually by far the best part of the series, it kicks off hard around episode 30/Lalah's entrance. Really trippy shit goes on for a few episodes there and it's super fun to watch. The sadder moments really worked too,
Ryu's death and Amuro's dad stand out the most
. The last stretch of the show was pretty phenomenal too, genuinely exciting stuff.

Now onto Zeta!

I really just want to watch Turn A.

Lalah won.

For me, the show from 1-12 is perfect. Great cat and mouse games with zeon and white base. Most of the teens are great too, but lulls a bit. There are great episodes but a few redundant ones as well.

Once they get to jaburo it picks back up again. Then once theyre in space the rest of the show is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom