• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acid08

Banned
For me, the show from 1-12 is perfect. Great cat and mouse games with zeon and white base. Most of the teens are great too, but lulls a bit. There are great episodes but a few redundant ones as well.

Once they get to jaburo it picks back up again. Then once theyre in space the rest of the show is amazing.

This is actually one of the Gundam tropes I've noticed that I don't really like. Seems like a lot of the series open up this way, with battle after battle every episode. I find it a little boring, everything always picks up when the show slows down a bit and they introduce more of the bigger story into the picture.

Not to say I hate those early parts but it's hard to keep super engaged when it's just fight fight fight.

You should check out the Gundam 0079 movies just for the music.

fa46a1909fa0e62a821ad110.L.jpg

I love this soundtrack. Kinda pricey but I'm glad I bought it.

I read it this past spring.

The book is at its best when it deviates from the show or when it is world building. When it is copying/portraying stuff that happened, it feels odd.

There is cool stuff though and it's worth reading. There is odd stuff in there too.

RangerBAD

I read it this past spring.

The book is at its best when it deviates from the show or when it is world building. When it is copying/portraying stuff that happened, it feels odd.

There is cool stuff though and it's worth reading. There is odd stuff in there too.

Well, I already know about the parts that deviate. Even then it's worthwhile?

Windam

Scaley member
Exactly my point. Can't miss out on those.

On a different subject, has anyone read the original Gundam's novelization?

Yeah, I got it last year as a 3-in-1 book. It deviates significantly at points (especially the ending), but it's a worthwhile read, considering that's how Tomino originally wanted the series to go.

So I finished 0079.

It was super interesting to see where the series started out and where some of the Gundam-centric tropes come from. I didn't find some of it all that engaging though. The beginning is rough for a couple of reasons, the easiest to get over were the animation and sound hurdles. It is definitely a bit jarring at first but you kinda adjust quickly and it's not a big deal. The pacing of that early part is just dreadful though, I was bored for the first 10 or so episodes. After that it was pretty smooth sailing though and I actually started enjoying Amuro's Newtype journey.

The Newtype stuff was actually by far the best part of the series, it kicks off hard around episode 30/Lalah's entrance. Really trippy shit goes on for a few episodes there and it's super fun to watch. The sadder moments really worked too,
Ryu's death and Amuro's dad stand out the most
. The last stretch of the show was pretty phenomenal too, genuinely exciting stuff.

Now onto Zeta!

I really just want to watch Turn A.

Lalah won.

Amuro's dad's death was so out of left field and so insignificant it actually hurt.

You should check out the Gundam 0079 movies just for the music.

Are these good summary movies? I watched it (and all the series except AGE and the toy robot one because they're both shit), but I like recaps to freshen up my memory about the shows without having to sit through tens of episodes.

Windam

Scaley member
Are these good summary movies? I watched it (and all the series except AGE and the toy robot one because they're both shit), but I like recaps to freshen up my memory about the shows without having to sit through tens of episodes.

Some people prefer to watch the 0079 movie trilogy as opposed to the show. They're good, and the music is great.

Windam

Scaley member
The only movie I really like is Encounters in space, because of the new scenes, like the stuff with darcia barkarov

I played the PS2 game before watching that and was quite disappointed that some cutscenes in the game were re-drawn or entirely new and not in the movie.

What? I'm talking about when
Amuro finds him again and he's gone crazy.

Yeah, he knows.

In the movie version, there is an added scene where Tem Ray watches Amuro fight outside Side Six on his TV screen. He chalks the Gundam's performance up to the junk upgrade he designed, and goes into a hysteric laughter. He then trips and falls down the staircase outside his house, and most people assumed he died.

CorvoSol

Yeah, he knows.

In the movie version, there is an added scene where Tem Ray watches Amuro fight outside Side Six on his TV screen. He chalks the Gundam's performance up to the junk upgrade he designed, and goes into a hysteric laughter. He then trips and falls down the staircase outside his house, and most people assumed he died.

That last part would be the only addition. In the show he does
assume that the Gundam's performance improves as a result of his part.

Acid08

Banned
Seems like an unnecessary addition. It's waaaay more fucked up that he
gets to continue living with severe brain trauma.

Edit: Also, thanks to a sudden windfall of expendable income, I ordered an MG F91 and a Wing Gundam Fenice. Crossbone is still on its way too.

F91 comes with this fucking rad stand:

MGF91.jpg

Aizo

Banned
First of all, I forgot to post this a few weeks ago. My friends and I were at Kanda Shrine, near Akihabara in Tokyo, and there are always nerd-related things on the ema (plaques that people write prayers/wishes on) at this shrine. This last time, I found a glorious one.

Secondly, I went to Odaiba with some friends yesterday, and this is probably the last time I'll be there for a long while. There were a few new things on display, this time.

Beautiful...

Hi-nu and Nightingale

This was always here, but I don't think I've posted it/photographed it before.

I think a month or two ago, they added a little walkway under the Gundam. It wasn't here last time, anyway. So, here's some never before seen Gundam crotch!

Aaand, a typo I didn't notice before.

RangerBAD

Yeah, he knows.

I always felt like his situation was his own doing. Married to his work, an estranged wife and barely any sort of relationship with his son.

Yes, Sayla was a med student. There is a line in the first or second episode, when she is introduced, where they mention it. They play this up more in her flashback sequences in Gundam: The Origin.

As for why she doesn't tend people's wounds, I dunno. I guess they valued her more as a comms officer (and later pilot) then as a medic

Acid08

Banned
So I ordered some of the fine point panel markers, what's the best way to help clean up mistakes made when using them? I've read all of polymer erasers, rubbing alcohol, and the official erase marker work well but is one more recommended/useful than the others? What do you guys use?

So Gundam-san is the only Gundam we have till fall?

Really hope G-Reco is good. But Build Fighters should hold out for a while as well.

Also nice Donkey! Finish that Mobile Monstrosity after you go to Gamerscom.

CorvoSol

Quick question, is F91 worth watching? I hear about the scene transitions being rushed but does everything else make up for it?

I'm fairly ambivalent toward F91 itself. The mech is neat and the animation is nice, but the story telling is jumbled because it was a show that got smashed into the space of a movie, which has the unfortunate side effect of meaning nothing gets any real development. Like, although they're nowhere near as dumb as the Zanscare, the Cosmo Babylonians' plan is in dire need of some sitting down and thinking it through.

There is an upside to F91 that more than justifies it, though. It sets up Crossbone Gundam, and Crossbone Gundam is one of the best things Universal Century has going for it.

RangerBAD

I'm fairly ambivalent toward F91 itself. The mech is neat and the animation is nice, but the story telling is jumbled because it was a show that got smashed into the space of a movie, which has the unfortunate side effect of meaning nothing gets any real development. Like, although they're nowhere near as dumb as the Zanscare, the Cosmo Babylonians' plan is in dire need of some sitting down and thinking it through.

There is an upside to F91 that more than justifies it, though. It sets up Crossbone Gundam, and Crossbone Gundam is one of the best things Universal Century has going for it.

Crossbone Gundam is one of the most deserving of an anime adaptation, but it'll never happen. Maybe at the 50th Anniversary. :(

PhiLonius

So I ordered some of the fine point panel markers, what's the best way to help clean up mistakes made when using them? I've read all of polymer erasers, rubbing alcohol, and the official erase marker work well but is one more recommended/useful than the others? What do you guys use?

A dab of rubbing alcohol on a q-tip was always good enough for me. Never tried an eraser.

Quick question, is F91 worth watching? I hear about the scene transitions being rushed but does everything else make up for it?

It's only like 2 hours long, so it's not much of a time investment if you don't like it.

Is the story rushed? Yes. But I rather like F91 none-the-less. The animation is fantastic. Some of my favorite sequences in the franchise are in that movie. Plus there are some FANTASTIC mechs in that movie.

It really should have been an OVA or TV series, but as it is it's still fun to watch.

Acid08

Banned
I lovelovelove F91 but it definitely has pacing problems. Some of the characters' motivations aren't explained enough, it all feels condensed(which it is). Still it's absolutely gorgeous, has a good villain, rad suits, and a good romance. Plus after you watch it you can move on to Crossbone Gundam which is amazing.

CorvoSol

I can't hate F91 anyway, since it gave us I-Fields used for ridiculous things like flags and it gave us a Gundam mouth laser beams.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com

If you are not painting, just a q-tip and rubbing it should remove the marker before it dry. If it already dry use tiny bit of alcohol on the qtip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom