• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Son

Edit: I finished my HGUC V2. Pics coming soon.

Overall, it is a pretty good kit and I enjoyed it. It's freaking TINY, which is something I find endlessly amusing. Seeing how small it is compared to beasts like the Nu Gun dam or Sazabi (or hell, even a Ric Dom dwarfs it) is just too funny and awesome. It looks great IMHO and it was a fun build. I do have some problems with it.

The polycaps: This kit is somewhat fragile (though not nearly as bad as an RG). Hands and shoulders pop off pretty easily. Even the waist comes off without much provocation. This is definitely something you're not going to want to play around with.

Tiny pieces. Since this IS a smaller kit, this means the pieces you'll be working with are small, and thus fragile. As I mentioned early, I snapped the face plate in half just removing it from the tray, and I'm pretty careful with that sort of stuff. Be CAREFUL while building.

The beam shield. I was REALLY disappointed with the beam shield, since it was something I was most looking forward to. The piece that connects the shield to the arm doesn't fit snuggly in when the shield is in place, meaning that it is loose and pops off VERY easily. I was not confident enough in the piece to use it, meaning I had to forego the shield which is a shame because it makes the suit look visually striking and is one of it's best looking features.

But seriously, I love how small this guy is. He's almost half as tall as my Sazabi.

Nadia Ronah could be his beard.

Both Angelo and Carozzo are kind of the type to be cuckolded. I don't really put much stock in the theory, of course, but you never know.

Acid08

Banned
Zeta Gundam very quickly turned into LET'S FIX AMURO RAY: THE EXPERIENCE

Not that it's bad. It's weird, I didn't expect this to be quite as involved with the characters from MSG as it has been....but the gang's all here!

CorvoSol

The most deserved slap:

WHbTCZj.gif

I feel like this slap comes years too late, though. If Bright had smacked Hathaway around sooner, maybe Hathaway wouldn't have pulled that incredibly bitch move at the end of the movie.

The one slap that needed to happen most, though, was Char slapping Quess. It would've been just dandy to see how it all went down if Quess had found Char as uninterested in her as the rest.

Hente

I'm thinking of watching Turn A as my first Gundam. Is my enjoyment of the show going to be hindered since I haven't watched a Gundam show before? I only looked at a couple of other threads and it seems like the show has quite a lot of references. I did watch Build Fighters and enjoyed that, but I don't really know if that would count.

pls no spoilers, I'm scared to look and search further on my own due to fear of spoilers.

PhiLonius

I'm thinking of watching Turn A as my first Gundam. Is my enjoyment of the show going to be hindered since I haven't watched a Gundam show before? I only looked at a couple of other threads and it seems like the show has quite a lot of references. I did watch Build Fighters and enjoyed that, but I don't really know if that would count.

pls no spoilers, I'm scared to look and search further on my own due to fear of spoilers.

It's not connected in that sort of way. You can watch it and not have other series spoiled for you.

I absolutely adore Turn A, but I wouldn't recommend it as a first series. Plot-wise, it isn't directly connected to other shows, but it's one of those things where you'll get more from it if you watch some shows that came before it first, particularly Universal Century stuff.

Stylistically, it's pretty different from every other Gundam. Much more mellow and upbeat. Again, something you'll appreciate more if you watch other shows first.

Here is the pic of my V2, btw. Excuse the shitty panel lining.

4dvH3NP.jpg

I feel like this slap comes years too late, though. If Bright had smacked Hathaway around sooner, maybe Hathaway wouldn't have pulled that incredibly bitch move at the end of the movie.

The one slap that needed to happen most, though, was Char slapping Quess. It would've been just dandy to see how it all went down if Quess had found Char as uninterested in her as the rest.

Yes to both slap suggestions.

God Hathaway bothers me even to this day every time I think about it. What a fucking... just UGH

Acid08

Banned
Found a Gunpla place in San Jose today(Tatsu Hobby, they have an online store with a pretty decent selection too) and ended up walking out with this:

MG Turn A and a couple Gundam markers for panel lining. Wing Gundam Fenice, Crossbone X1, and F91 are all on their way too.

RIP me.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
On one hand, EW Heavyarms is the only EW Gundam I really like. (Tallgeese 3 is boss as fuck but its not a Gundam!)

On the other its diminished by the common enemy suit basically being pretty damn decent ripoffs of the Heavyarms.

NEO0MJ

So, I want to watch the original timeline, what are the shows I should be watching?

It should be something like this:

1 - Mobile Suit Gundam - You're free to watch in compressed movie or the original episodic format. Personally I prefer the movie version of this.
2 - 8th Mobile Suit Team - Watching this is optional but it's pretty good and is only a 12 episode OVA.
3 - War in the Pocket - like 8th Mobile Suit Team this is also optional but well worth watching and is only a 6 episode OVA.
4 - Mobile Suit Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory - An optional to watch OVA but a lot of people don't like it. Might be better to skip until you finish the main parts of UC.
5 - Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam - There's a compressed movie version of this but it's really bad and changes a lot of plot elements so you have to watch the original episodic format for this.
6 - Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ - No compressed movies for this, you'll have to watch the original episodic format.
7 - Char's Counter Attack - A pretty important movie.
8 - Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn - a 7 episode OVA that concludes the UC story.
9 - Mobile Suit Gundam F91 - An optional to watch movie set years after Unicorn.
10 - Mobile Suit Victory Gundam - While this is canonically the last thing set in UC it's fucking terrible and best to pretend it doesn't exist.

TnK

It should be something like this:

1 - Mobile Suit Gundam - You're free to watch in compressed movie or the original episodic format. Personally I prefer the movie version of this.
2 - 8th Mobile Suit Team - Watching this is optional but it's pretty good and is only a 12 episode OVA.
3 - War in the Pocket - like 8th Mobile Suit Team this is also optional but well worth watching and is only a 6 episode OVA.
4 - Mobile Suit Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory - An optional to watch OVA but a lot of people don't like it. Might be better to skip until you finish the main parts of UC.
5 - Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam - There's a compressed movie version of this but it's really bad and changes a lot of plot elements so you have to watch the original episodic format for this.
6 - Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ - No compressed movies for this, you'll have to watch the original episodic format.
7 - Char's Counter Attack - A pretty important movie.
8 - Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn - a 7 episode OVA that concludes the UC story.
9 - Mobile Suit Gundam F91 - An optional to watch movie set years after Unicorn.
10 - Mobile Suit Victory Gundam - While this is canonically the last thing set in UC it's fucking terrible and best to pretend it doesn't exist.
Thanks. If there are episodes, I'd rather watch those. Movies tend to suck compared to the episodes.

CorvoSol

did the 1/100 not have it? i vaguely remember it does

http://www.hlj.com/product/ban59767/Gun

Includes two different versions of the face (one half-covered by a clown mask -- this will make sense to you if you've seen the show).

see i remember!

Gosh dang. I don't normally go for 1/100s, but that mask.

Thanks. If there are episodes, I'd rather watch those. Movies tend to suck compared to the episodes.

Also note that between F91 and Victory there's a manga series called Crossbone which is reeeeeeally good.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
0079 > Zeta > ZZ > Char's Counter Attack > Victory > Turn A

Is how i'd recommend going about it

Then go back and do OVA material like War in the Pocket and Unicorn. Watching in timeline order doesn't work as well I feel.

And I'd only watch F91 if you plan to read Crossbone

Ezalc

0079 > Zeta > ZZ > Char's Counter Attack > Victory > Turn A

Is how i'd recommend going about it

Then go back and do OVA material like War in the Pocket and Unicorn. Watching in timeline order doesn't work as well I feel.

And I'd only watch F91 if you plan to read Crossbone

Which he should do since both are fantastic, crossbone especially.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
F91 is pretty meh overall to me.

But that ending scene where Seabook is searching for Cecily in space is one of my favorite things ever

And Eternal Wind is an awesome theme

But if you're asking for gundam essentials, I wouldn't list it

Blader

It works out fairly well. According to Gundam Wiki, Carozzo was born in UC 0078. That would make him 18 in 0096...

Angel is supposedly born a year earlier and is 19 in Unicorn, but that's a pretty easy thing to retcon...

I think it works imo, even if ultimately doesn't matter. It's just a fun, cool connection, like Uso being Char's great-grandson.

RangerBAD

Angel is supposedly born a year earlier and is 19 in Unicorn, but that's a pretty easy thing to retcon...

I think it works imo, even if ultimately doesn't matter. It's just a fun, cool connection, like Uso being Char's great-grandson.

Wha? The Uso thing is a fan theory, right?

I watched most of Victory and I don't really remember anything that would imply that Uso was related to Char.

Nanai's surname was Miguel. Uso's mom's surname is Miguel. In the novel, Nanai was pregnant with Char's kid when he KIA'd. Apparently it was something the production team conceived but never fully implimented

CorvoSol

Nanai's surname was Miguel. Uso's mom's surname is Miguel. In the novel, Nanai was pregnant with Char's kid when he KIA'd. Apparently it was something the production team conceived but never fully implimented

Ah. Okay, I can roll with that. Never had much against Uso in particular.

Guess what I got in the mail today...

Only CC2 of Gundam Wing costed more than retail (60 dollars) compared to 42 dollars (G Gundam CC1) and 45 dollars (GW CC1 and G Gundam CC2). Thank you, Amazon based prices
In America.

Now on to G Gundam 19!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom