• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did finish it and laughed out loud when Katz
crashed into that rock and then got shot down. His incredibly stupid death was so fitting for his character.

I was kinda up and down with Zeta overall. I liked a lot of the stuff focused on the new characters but whenever Amuro and Char were around(a lot) it almost always felt like the show became completely about them, especially in Amuro's appearance. I also didn't like how they were ripping exact scenes and events from 0079, how many Lalah parallels did we need in this show? Jerid was an awful rival too and
his eventual death was incredibly lame, he got destroyed like he was nothing....but then I realized he was actually nothing the whole time!

Really liked the last handful of episodes, great ending too. Emma Sheen is cool too.

The franchise is built upon the corpses of lalah clones. They're almost as common as char clones

Acid08

Banned
The franchise is built upon the corpses of lalah clones. They're almost as common as char clones
I get that and I'm even fine with it when used well. In Zeta though there's stuff like
bringing Four back for two episodes just to Lalah her even though her sacrifice to get Kamille to space was way more powerful. Rosammy having no point to being there but to get Lalah'd and provide power to Kamille at the end
. That's the kind of stuff that doesn't do much for me.

Windam

Scaley member
I did finish it and laughed out loud when Katz
crashed into that rock and then got shot down. His incredibly stupid death was so fitting for his character.

I was kinda up and down with Zeta overall. I liked a lot of the stuff focused on the new characters but whenever Amuro and Char were around(a lot) it almost always felt like the show became completely about them, especially in Amuro's appearance. I also didn't like how they were ripping exact scenes and events from 0079, how many Lalah parallels did we need in this show? Jerid was an awful rival too and
his eventual death was incredibly lame, he got destroyed like he was nothing....but then I realized he was actually nothing the whole time!

Really liked the last handful of episodes, great ending too. Emma Sheen is cool too.

Jerid to me always represented the underdog. Try as he might, no matter how good he got, he could never beat the MC. In the end, just another no-name kid who dies in a war bigger than him.

I've got to say Wong reminds me of Mr. Chang from Black Lagoon only less charismatic and more smug. That's not even taking into account their similar fashion sense.

Mr. Chang

Wong

On another note, Is it wrong that Allenby and Domon make a better couple in 5 episodes than Rain and Domon in more than 30? It's probably just me, but Domon and Rain's relationship is more akin to brother and sister. A shame this won't end well for Allenby which is to say, either disappointment or death

CorvoSol

On another note, Is it wrong that Allenby and Domon make a better couple in 5 episodes than Rain and Domon in more than 30? It's probably just me, but Domon and Rain's relationship is more akin to brother and sister. A shame this won't end well for Allenby which is to say, either disappointment or death

Yes it is wrong. Very wrong. You are wrong to think that.

Beth Cyra

Pre-built is not really my thing but I guess there is a new line of Metal Robot Damashii toys coming out.

http://gundamguy.blogspot.jp/2014/08/bandai-metal-robot-damashii-new-product.html

Always happy about a new line, but this one I'm just not sure of.

Given Metal Builds already really do this, this seems like it might just be a cheaper version of that and I'm not sure how much it's really needed.

I guess it depends on if the scale is going to be all over the place like in a usual Damashii release or if they are going to try and go for a more accurate balance between units.

G Gundam 40

So The show finally confirms what everyone released 16 episodes ago namely
Von Kaiser Ninja is actually Kyoji, Domon's brother

Oh and Domon and Rain reconcile after around ten episodes of tension.
I still think their relationship is better platonic.

Beth Cyra

G Gundam 40

So The show finally confirms what everyone released 16 episodes ago namely
Von Kaiser Ninja is actually Kyoji, Domon's brother

Oh and Domon and Rain reconcile after around ten episodes of tension.
I still think their relationship is better platonic.

The make or break with Domon/Rain comes in the last two episodes and how that plays out.

It's where the real decision of if you ship them or not will happen.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Domon treats Allenby like his best friend.

Domon treats Rain like crap for the first half like a girlfriend.

The manga version of G Gundam is for all those Allenby/Domon shippers though. The author clearly thinks the same way you do and does everything possible to throw shade on Rain.

Acid08

Banned
60SUVoS.jpg

Last two came in! Building the Fenice right now, boy 1/144 models are small! And panel lining is fucking hard, doing the lines are okay but doing edges on protrusions and stuff sucks. Trying to do the tiny little mouth piece right now.

Ezalc

Domon treats Allenby like his best friend.

Domon treats Rain like crap for the first half like a girlfriend.

The manga version of G Gundam is for all those Allenby/Domon shippers though. The author clearly thinks the same way you do and does everything possible to throw shade on Rain.

All these people hating on Rain just because she's the best girl.

CorvoSol

At one point early on Domon is willing to surrender his Gundam's head, and therefore his chances to solve the show's mystery and free his dad to protect/save Rain. His feelings for her are established very, very early to be much more than just friends.

NEO0MJ

At one point early on Domon is willing to surrender his Gundam's head, and therefore his chances to solve the show's mystery and free his dad to protect/save Rain. His feelings for her are established very, very early to be much more than just friends.

Yeah, he was her babysitter.

You promised me inking, Donkey! Anyways, looks amazing, and really has a strong presence. I'm surprised they let you bring something so big to the office.

You promised me inking, Donkey! Anyways, looks amazing, and really has a strong presence. I'm surprised they let you bring something so big to the office.
I need new panel liner supplies, so I couldn't do it quite yet on top of just getting back from Gamescom. Will bring it back to the house over the weekend for touch up and whatnot. And working at a gaming company, we all have crazy stuff on out desks. XD

But yeah, it looks way beast when it's all opened up. Can't wait for the psycho shard to come in and pop it on there :3

Keasar

After playing Full Boost for a week or two, I finally took the plunge and started to watch some of the series.

And then one thing led to another:

42y2TBE.jpg

What have I gotten myself into? :(

Acid08

Banned
Y'all have any tips for cleaning up panel lines? I've mostly been using an eraser and rubbing alcohol and I'm having a hard time cleaning up the lines without also getting rid of the markings I want to keep.

The part I'm specifically having trouble with is the caved in part on the left side shoulder here:
083d572e.jpg

I trace around the edges but there's a fair amount I have to clean up and it's difficult. The eraser only works at the perfect angle and rubbing alcohol cleans up too much.

Also the face was crazy hard to do. 3 hours last night and I'm still not done.

Keasar

You should get the MGs of those 3. Really good kits.

There is also a fourth package coming with a Real Grade Zaku II. I was looking at some Master Grades but I thought since I am completely new at this and I haven't put togheter a model for 15 years or so, I should start a bit smaller. A MG version of the Gouf Custom (my favorite Mobile Suit so far, Norris rocks) is really enticing. I didn't know there were MG versions of the other two though.

Ken

There is also a fourth package coming with a Real Grade Zaku II. I was looking at some Master Grades but I thought since I am completely new at this and I haven't put togheter a model for 15 years or so, I should start a bit smaller. A MG version of the Gouf Custom (my favorite Mobile Suit so far, Norris rocks) is really enticing. I didn't know there were MG versions of the other two though.

Yeah there is. I think I owned more MGs from 08th than any other series (Ez-8, Gundam [G], GM [G], and Gouf Custom).

They had some cool gimmicks too, or at least they were when I was like 15 (like the weapons container and Gouf's shield).

RG Char Zaku II was my first Gunpla. It's a great looking kit, but watch out for the piping and the skirts. The legs can be a bit of a pain in the ass too.

Keasar

Yeah there is. I think I owned more MGs from 08th than any other series (Ez-8, Gundam [G], GM [G], and Gouf Custom).

They had some cool gimmicks too, or at least they were when I was like 15 (like the weapons container and Gouf's shield).
The shield is detachable, minigun and all as well, if that is what you mean. And the Ground Gundam comes with a weapons container where it can store the 180 mm cannon. And also has a small leg compartment for a beam saber. Would say its pretty good detail for a small sized model. Still, a MG version of the Gouf would be sweet.

RG Char Zaku II was my first Gunpla. It's a great looking kit, but watch out for the piping and the skirts. The legs can be a bit of a pain in the ass too.

Will do, thanks. I think I'll put it together last, a step up from the High Grade models.

Keasar

do itttttt

Luckily, there seem to be one retailer on Amazon that sells it for 23 GBP which is perfectly reasonable. Will have a look at it later when I am done with these, just waiting for a model tool kit before I begin.

Speaking of tools, are Gundam Markers a must? Have seen them mentioned here and there and seems like they are supposed to be for adding more details along the plating.

NEO0MJ

Beargguy III completed~

This kit is so popular over here, so many have bought it.

Sometimes I feel that RGs are more complicated than the average MG, though I have never built one.

Oh god that pervy Woody ver. You really aren't helping Donkey!

The things he can do with Neo Zeong's tentacle fingers...

So my local Anime convention Animethon was this week and I managed to get these for 31 dollars total.

Where should I start?

So I finally got around to building all 3 of them (held off Heavyarms) and here are the results

Stickers were a pain to deal with and Heavy-arms had some issues near the end, but apart from that I think I did all right.

klausbert

I just finished watching Legend Of Galactic Heroes and holy shit, the amount of voice actors from Mobile Suit Gundam is incredible. There's Char, Amuro, Lalah, Bright, Kai Shiden, Garma, M'quve and probably many more which i didn't recognize.

G Gundam 42

So we can add
Japanese android clone
to Schrawz Bruder's description.

We have new villains that appear in the story whom are
That Colonel you could be forgiven for forgetting about and Rain's father!
and it turns out they are the ones responsible for
Kyoji becoming the pliot for the Dark Gundam and Their dad being cryogenically frozen

Oh and Rain gets into another Gundam, where shockingly enough, she doesn't have an orgasm activating the trace system.

RangerBAD

The Ill-fated Prince.

A lot of play on his most famous quote.

"Char! You timed me, Char!" in reference to how long it took him to take a dump.

"Char! You measured me, Char!" in reference to his penis size. (Why is Char measuring Garma's chinpo?)

Totally out of context.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Y'all have any tips for cleaning up panel lines? I've mostly been using an eraser and rubbing alcohol and I'm having a hard time cleaning up the lines without also getting rid of the markings I want to keep.

Thin down your alcohol with water 50/50 or lower so it won't be so strong.

You can also use those precision cotton swabs they used for make up and nails. Or you can get the triangle stiff cotton swab from tamiya.

May be the problem is you use too much alcohol, you don't have to wet the paper towel or cotton swab with alcohol, it should be pretty dry.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
G Gundam 42

So we can add
Japanese android clone
to Schrawz Bruder's description.

We have new villains that appear in the story whom are
That Colonel you could be forgiven for forgetting about and Rain's father!
and it turns out they are the ones responsible for
Kyoji becoming the pliot for the Dark Gundam and Their dad being cryogenically frozen

Oh and Rain gets into another Gundam, where shockingly enough, she doesn't have an orgasm activating the trace system.

Both of those spoilers are actually well hinted at a bit earlier than episode 42, though they did a good job hiding one of the character's motivations and true intent.

I just finished watching Legend Of Galactic Heroes and holy shit, the amount of voice actors from Mobile Suit Gundam is incredible. There's Char, Amuro, Lalah, Bright, Kai Shiden, Garma, M'quve and probably many more which i didn't recognize.

I've wanted to watch that series because a few people who are Babylon 5 fans say it reminds them of B5. Thoughts on that?

CorvoSol

Was this ever established in the show? I thought it was because she wasn't used to the trace system at the time.

Haha, I'm just joking. I mean, you could argue that part of the reason is that Domon's mobile tracer is calibrated in a way that Rain wouldn't be used to since Domon is a professional fighter and Rain is a mechanic, but the truth is probably just what you've said. She wasn't used to it and by the time the Rising rolls around she is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom