• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

S. L.

zmoney said:
Any link to decent quality models? like the ones he was talking about?
Bandai MG (Master Grade) kits are fairly decent and don't require any special skill or tools (snap fit)

may I pimp my MG Sinanju here?

this one is painted thou and has some option parts

coldvein

Banned
S. L. said:
Bandai MG (Master Grade) kits are fairly decent and don't require any special skill or tools (snap fit)

may I pimp my MG Sinanju here?

this one is painted thou and has some option parts

very nice, dude. wish i had room in my apartment to display stuff like this.

Pollux

Is Unicorn worth watching? What I mean is it worth spending like 34 dollars for 1 one hour long episode? will they have the entire series in one set eventually?

zmoney said:
Is Unicorn worth watching? What I mean is it worth spending like 34 dollars for 1 one hour long episode? will they have the entire series in one set eventually?
Probably, but not for like 2 years at the rate the individual episodes come out.

And yeah, despite the investment, I think it's very worth watching. I'm in love with it.

hteng

Banned
Unicorn certainly has some good quality animation to it, other than that, it's a stupid retcon to the UC timeline, very incoherent, there's this mysterious deus ex machina object that no one friggin knew for 90+ years that's suppose to make humans evolve into newtypes. if it's so important you'd see it'll mentioned in the older animes. And the later series like F91 or Victory does not contain newtypes at all.

hteng said:
Unicorn certainly has some good quality animation to it, other than that, it's a stupid retcon to the UC timeline, very incoherent, there's this mysterious deus ex machina object that no one friggin knew for 90+ years that's suppose to make humans evolve into newtypes. if it's so important you'd see it'll mentioned in the older animes. And the later series like F91 or Victory does not contain newtypes at all.
LOLOLOLOL no.
Zekes! said:
I finished G Gundam this morning. I feel like a fucking man now
THE SCHOOL OF THE UNDEFEATED OF THE EAST!!!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
bandaient Bandai Entertainment
Gundam 00 the Movie coming Summer 2011 on DVD and Blu-ray!
40 minutes ago

Seriously, shove off, Bandai. Give us CCA or F91 BD instead.

Blader

hteng said:

That's not what Laplace's Box is at all.

And it's actually very coherent, especially since a lot of it is making sense of Tomino's nonsense.

Kagari said:
40 minutes ago

Seriously, shove off, Bandai. Give us CCA or F91 BD instead.

Trailblazer is better than both of them anyway. :p

zmoney said:
When it's over Bandai Ent might release a set. They are releasing a cheaper dvd set soon. I'm not sure what the rights are with the Blu Rays as Bandai Visual is releasing those.

If it's worth watching? Well I guess if you like UC Gundam a lot sure. I really don't like it and have quit, but a lot of Gundam fans like it.

Dambrosi

Banned
Blader5489 said:

And it's actually very coherent, especially since a lot of it is making sense of Tomino's nonsense.

Trailblazer is better than both of them anyway. :p
I hope you said that with tongue firmly lodged in cheek.

To think that plot-deficient mess of a failed TV series ending is anywhere near even CCA's debatable quality is a joke. Not to mention thinking it's better than F91...pbbffffffttLOLNO.

Agreed on Unicorn, though - it's actually very coherent when you just pay attention.

Blader

Dambrosi said:
I hope you said that with tongue firmly lodged in cheek.

To think that plot-deficient mess of a failed TV series ending is anywhere near even CCA's debatable quality is a joke. Not to mention thinking it's better than F91...pbbffffffttLOLNO.

Agreed on Unicorn, though - it's actually very coherent when you just pay attention.

I've argued before about why I think Trailblazer is an overall better work than CCA and don't really feel like going into detail about it again, so I'll just leave it at this: one of those movies has Quess and Hathaway, and one of them doesn't. :p

F91 is pretty bad. Trailblazer may be better then it.

Edit-But better then CCA because CCA has Quess and Hathaway? Well at least they have personality, which more then I can say for half of 00s cast.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Blader5489 said:
I've argued before about why I think Trailblazer is an overall better work than CCA and don't really feel like going into detail about it again, so I'll just leave it at this: one of those movies has Quess and Hathaway, and one of them doesn't. :p

One has metal aliens and a giant space flower and the other doesn't.

MechaX

Rahxephon91 said:
F91 is pretty bad. Trailblazer may be better then it.

Edit-But better then CCA because CCA has Quess and Hathaway? Well at least they have personality, which more then I can say for half of 00s cast.

Personally, I can see the advantages of being as boring as Setsuna as opposed to being absolute fuckwits like Katz, Quess, and especially Hathaway.
"You killed this girl that I met like a day ago and we're so obviously in love despite how said girl was trying to kill me! DIE ALLY WHO TRIED TO SAVE ME AND ALSO HAPPENS TO BE AMURO'S GIRLFRIEND!
Seriously, fuck Hathaway. I'm glad Hathaway's Flash turned out the way it did and I wish that would get animated one day.

MechaX said:
Personally, I can see the advantages of being as boring as Setsuna as opposed to being absolute fuckwits like Katz, Quess, and especially Hathaway.
"You killed this girl that I met like a day ago and we're so obviously in love despite how said girl was trying to kill me! DIE ALLY WHO TRIED TO SAVE ME AND ALSO HAPPENS TO BE AMURO'S GIRLFRIEND!
Seriously, fuck Hathaway. I'm glad Hathaway's Flash turned out the way it did and I wish that would get animated one day.
Hathaway may be annoying, but I never understood the hate for Quess. And regardless her character has a point in the story and helps to develop Char and point out some flaws and aspects with him. She also adds dynamics and drama between Char and his other comrades who's names I forget. I really can't say that for most of the 00 characters who seem like the plot could go on with or without them. Hathaway, I really can't make an argument for. His role in the story did seem pretty pointless and when he does what he does all while spouting how adults are bad, I was pretty embarrassed. Still he's not Setsuna or an alien who turns into a flower.

I just finished watching the Gundam 08th MS Team.
And it was good, I really enjoyed it.

What I didn't enjoy was that last/epilogue episode.
What the hell was that all about?

I got no closure whatsoever from anyone else in the 08th team.
Aside from that I definitely enjoyed the series.

Pollux

Snowblindvictim said:
I just finished watching the Gundam 08th MS Team.
And it was good, I really enjoyed it.

What I didn't enjoy was that last/epilogue episode.
What the hell was that all about?

I got no closure whatsoever from anyone else in the 08th team.
Aside from that I definitely enjoyed the series.
I liked 08th MS Team because it was more than just watching the Gundam running around killing things. With that being said, it did leave a little to be desired on the story side of things once it ended.

Blader

Setsuna's not boring, he's fucking awesome. Tired of whiny virgin nerds piloting giant killing machines but don't like killing? Enter Setsuna. He don't give a fuck. He shot his own parents JUST BECAUSE.

Kagari said:
It's not better than CCA, no way.

CCA has higher highs than Trailblazer but lower lows. Trailblazer averages out to be the better package overall.

Rahxephon91 said:
Hathaway may be annoying, but I never understood the hate for Quess. And regardless her character has a point in the story and helps to develop Char and point out some flaws and aspects with him. She also adds dynamics and drama between Char and his other comrades who's names I forget.

Who cares what she adds if she's fucking annoying the whole time? Every single scene with her is painful to watch, and she ends up ruining other characters (Hathaway and Gyunei) in the process. Trailblazer, on the other hand, is filled top to bottom with people just being badasses. Could that story have existed without Lockon, Al, or Graham? Yeah probably. But they're in it and they're awesome.

Maybe the likes of Zeta and SEED have conditioned you to think otherwise, but lack of whining =/= lack of personality.

zmoney said:
I liked 08th MS Team because it was more than just watching the Gundam running around killing things. With that being said, it did leave a little to be desired on the story side of things once it ended.

Absolutely, I loved how they took the Mobile suits down a notch and how RPG wielding guerillas
could take them down. I also love that not everyone was an "ace pilot" and stuff like sand was hindering their progress. Definitely made things a bit more human for lack of a better word.

But that last episode, with the kids. Ugh, I don't know

MCD

Kagari said:
40 minutes ago
Where is season 1 and 2 on blu ray.

This is an outrage.

Dambrosi

Banned
Blader5489 said:
Oh really?

Well, one of those movies has Nu Gundam and Sazabi (and Alpha Azeiru), and one of them...doesn't even try.

I mean, aliens? In Gundam?! That turn into giant flowers floating in space? And, lest you forget,
Metalsuna F. Matricider playing tongue hockey with blind octogenarian Poverty Princess
as an epilogue? Really?

If you think that's better than even CCA's ending, I'd say you have problems. Quess be damned
(and Hathaway even more so, the little prick. Son, Bright am disappoint)

Snowblindvictim said:
But that last episode, with the kids. Ugh, I don't know
...what last episode? I know nothing of any "last episode". it doesn't exist. You must be lying, or perhaps delusional. Yeah, that's it, I'll...just...keep thinking that...*rocks back and forth*

Jex

Blader5489 said:

Making sense of Tomino destroys the magic!

Also, maybe both CCA and Trailblazer problematic, but in very different ways!

Blader

Dambrosi said:
I mean, aliens? In Gundam?! That turn into giant flowers floating in space?

You're just describing plot points, not making any criticisms. Aliens in Gundam? Okay, and...? It's something new (excluding SEED's space whales) and actually works pretty well within the context of the series.

I guess some people still have the "aliens don't belong in my Gundam!" mindset but it doesn't bother me at all.

Jexhius said:
Also, maybe both CCA and Trailblazer problematic, but in very different ways!

For sure (and that's kind of Gundam in a nutshell anyway). Like I said, Trailblazer never reaches CCA's highs, but also doesn't hit any of its lows either. Trailblazer is the better overall package imo but CCA has the more memorable stuff in it.

Deadly

Blader5489 said:
For sure (and that's kind of Gundam in a nutshell anyway). Like I said, Trailblazer never reaches CCA's highs, but also doesn't hit any of its lows either. Trailblazer is the better overall package imo but CCA has the more memorable stuff in it.
What are the lows that are lower in CCA? Because the lows in Trailblazer were ridiculously low.

Blader5489 said:
Who cares what she adds if she's fucking annoying the whole time? Every single scene with her is painful to watch, and she ends up ruining other characters (Hathaway and Gyunei) in the process. Trailblazer, on the other hand, is filled top to bottom with people just being badasses. Could that story have existed without Lockon, Al, or Graham? Yeah probably. But they're in it and they're awesome.
I care. Whats the point of having a character if they don't do anything? Graham is wasted in 00 making his potential as character totally wasted as he does nothing but spout annoying speeches that don't move or effect the plot. Thats' a flaw in my eyes. Al Sarches? The entire build up of him and Setsuna leads nowhere as he is just killed by Lockon 2. Totally a waste of character and a subplot. 00 is terrible. I like it when shows use their characters to some effect of the plot, when they do I see where the character is supposed to come from and what their point is. Thus Quess is not annoying to me. I'm sorry I just don't find a character annoying if they have "character flaws" that lead them to being "whinny". Not if the plot uses it.
Maybe the likes of Zeta and SEED have conditioned you to think otherwise, but lack of whining =/= lack of personality.
I'm not sure what you are getting at. But whatever. Setsuna is a bore and does nothing but act like an emotionless and personalty less person. What a boring main character, I'm sorry I don't like to watch shows where my main character is a robot. The rest of the cast has personality, fine but they are pretty 1 note anyway. Characters whine? Whatever, at least they have some sort of emotion. But hey according to you I should like 00 as it has Saji, Lousie, and Allelujah. Some pretty big whiners.

Blader

Rahxephon91 said:
I care. Whats the point of having a character if they don't do anything? Graham is wasted in 00 making his potential as character totally wasted as he does nothing but spout annoying speeches that don't move or effect the plot. Thats' a flaw in my eyes. Al Sarches? The entire build up of him and Setsuna leads nowhere as he is just killed by Lockon 2. Totally a waste of character and a subplot. 00 is terrible. I like it when shows use their characters to some effect of the plot, when they do I see where the character is supposed to come from and what their point is. Thus Quess is not annoying to me. I'm sorry I just don't find a character annoying if they have "character flaws" that lead them to being "whinny". Not if the plot uses it.

Graham isn't pointless. Even his Bushido stuff in S2 serves a point to both the larger story and his Graham's own character arc. And Ali wasn't wasted. The Setsuna/Ali subplot built up to, and tied in with, Lockon's history as early as S1. Then that continues to the end of the season with Neil's death, then into S2 with Lyle's revenge. Nothing there was thrown away.

I don't find Quess all that useful to CCA's story, and actually the Quess/Hathaway/Gyunei subplot detracts from the main Amuro/Char story too much (in no small part because that particular subplot doesn't really pay off all that well). But even if she was absolutely integral to CCA, that doesn't make up for how incredibly unbearable she is to watch and listen to. Katz in Zeta is another good example. I totally see, on paper, what his character means for the story, and how his arc is relevant to the greater show. Yet, it's totally ineffectual for me because he's so fucking stupid and annoying, that I never find anything he says or does to be meaningful, just groan-worthy.

I'm not sure what you are getting at. But whatever. Setsuna is a bore and does nothing but act like an emotionless and personalty less person. What a boring main character, I'm sorry I don't like to watch shows where my main character is a robot. The rest of the cast has personality, fine but they are pretty 1 note anyway. Characters whine? Whatever, at least they have some sort of emotion. But hey according to you I should like 00 as it has Saji, Lousie, and Allelujah. Some pretty big whiners.

Setsuna isn't emotionless or lacking in personality. You seem to like--and I'm merely extrapolating this from your big "this is why I like SEED" post from a while back--characters that are flighty and melodramatic and behave in a very overstated manner. Which is fine. But if a character isn't overly emotional or dramatic in their behavior, that doesn't mean they're lacking in emotion or personality.

You, by your own admission, liked SEED because it's teen pop Gundam and that's fine; and it's probably why you liked Zeta a lot too, because that show has a lot of similar personal dramas (though not nearly as unbearable as SEED's for me). But I find those kind of character dynamics annoying as hell. Which is I probably why I liked 00 and am so far loving Unicorn: the characters are comparatively more mature and less melodramatic, which makes them a hell of a lot more tolerable to watch and, as a result, I care more about what happens to them.

Did you just say that OO is more mature and not melodramatic?

What did Mr Bushido do in season 2 or the movie?

What did Ali Al Sarches do with Setsuna in season 2?

Oh and Setsuna is incredibly overstated and overdramatic in his "personality". There's no subtly anywhere in his character.

But whatever, this isn't going anywhere. I just hate when people wrongly assume things about me.

00 Movie also was shit because it served absolutely no purpose. Things should have been left alone after S2, there was no point or reason behind almost everything in the movie and the crap that served no purpose in S2, still had little to no purpose. They pulled out of their ass the whole alien thing which had no bearing to anything before hand.

Jexhius said:
There are no possible reasons not to buy the best Gundam show.

Hes not talking about Gundam X

5557977178_5c084987db_m.jpg

distantmantra said:
Then you don't get Turn A Gundam. Bandai doesn't see dubbing it as being cost effective.

For Gundam at least. The folks at Bandai Ent I knew when I was doing some work for the games segment were pretty certain we would never even see anymore Gundam in the US released outside of the current new series since the old stuff was making no money. We are lucky to be getting these at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom