• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Gots episode 3 downloading right now from the PSN. Guess my systems gonna be on all weekend x_x;

I see Bandai has a channel on the US store now but its all just Unicorn or compilation movies. For someone that owns an has watched each series several times is it worth renting the MSG & 0083 movies?

B.K.

Lindsay said:
For someone that owns an has watched each series several times is it worth renting the MSG & 0083 movies?

I can't say anything about the 0083 movie(s). I haven't seen it. The Mobile Suit Gundam movies are definitely worth watching even if you have seen the series though. They're actually better than the tv series.

Jex

Episode 3 is certainly pretty darn good, there's no denying the team knows how to animate mecha and shoot action scenes, although I'd be happier if the shows main plot wasn't so convoluted.

hteng

Banned
im disappointed that they reused some footage from episode 1 and 2, reminds me of how awful SEED and Destiny was. arg

zoku88

hteng said:
im disappointed that they reused some footage from episode 1 and 2, reminds me of how awful SEED and Destiny was. arg
Yea, I really noticed that too. Kinda bothers me.

Actual spoilers:
That one guy... Gibson? I forget. The Zeon father. He tripped so many death flags in this episode. I spent the entire time waiting for him to die.

zoku88 said:
Actual spoilers:
That one guy... Gibson? I forget. The Zeon father. He tripped so many death flags in this episode. I spent the entire time waiting for him to die.
They've made that an art form over the years.

Blader

zoku88 said:
Yea, I really noticed that too. Kinda bothers me.

Actual spoilers:

:lol, no kidding. But I think it was still an effective way of showing what a bastard Full Frontal is.

Jex

zoku88 said:
Actual spoilers:
One of these days they're going to reverse it and all the foreshadowing will be for naught.

Like in Doomsday.

X-Frame

Can someone explain to me what the whole point of going to that wreckage site was?

What were they trying to accomplish? I got lost watching it with sub-titles.

In any case, mech battles were insane again this episode. The animations were amazing. This is on a whole other level than any other show IMO, even moreso than Gundam 00.

Wazzim

Banned
Just finished watching Episode 3 of Unicorn, I really liked this one. The animation and IQ is just amazing, some parts of the story are a bit weird though; Does someone want to explain to me what LA+ (or La Place) actually is?

Wazzim said:
Just finished watching Episode 3 of Unicorn, I really liked this one. The animation and IQ is just amazing, some parts of the story are a bit weird though; Does someone want to explain to me what LA+ (or La Place) actually is?
The LA+ system is basically a puzzle in finding out the location of Laplace's box. That box contains critical information that can overthrow the entire Federation government.

Blader

Wazzim said:

The La+ System is another OS installed into the Unicorn, it activates whenever the Unicorn powers down from its NT-D mode. It's basically a treasure map that reveals a set of coordinates related to Laplace's Box. When the Unicorn visits those coordinates, something related to the Box will happen (e.g. in this ep, the Unicorn starts transmitting the Feddie PM's speech from the beginning of UC), and then a new set of coordinates is revealed. La+ leads the Unicorn from one set of coordinates to the next until eventually reaching Laplace's Box.

zoku88

Blader5489 said:
The La+ System is another OS installed into the Unicorn, it activates whenever the Unicorn powers down from its NT-D mode. It's basically a treasure map that reveals a set of coordinates related to Laplace's Box. When the Unicorn visits those coordinates, something related to the Box will happen (e.g. in this ep, the Unicorn starts transmitting the Feddie PM's speech from the beginning of UC), and then a new set of coordinates is revealed. La+ leads the Unicorn from one set of coordinates to the next until eventually reaching Laplace's Box.
Huh, I heard Anaheim took away that feature after an upgrade, though.

For some reason, something in your comment made me think of that Sony, other OS thing. I'm so sorry.
Jexhius said:
One of these days they're going to reverse it and all the foreshadowing will be for naught.

Like in Doomsday.
Funny enough, I think they did that in
Macross Frontier, kinda. Where someone obviously based on Roy.

hteng

Banned
X-Frame said:
Can someone explain to me what the whole point of going to that wreckage site was?

In any case, mech battles were insane again this episode. The animations were amazing. This is on a whole other level than any other show IMO, even moreso than Gundam 00.

they were guided to the wreckage site by Unicorn's La+ thing, in order to find out what's the next piece of puzzle.

Blader

X-Frame said:

The first set of coordinates revealed by the La+ system pointed to the wreckage of the Laplace station, so they just took the Unicorn there to wait and see what would happen.

X-Frame

And so the La+ program onboard the Unicorn gradually reveals new information each time the NT-D system is activated or something?

Seda

So for someone that's only watched Gundam Wing, 00, and has a little backstory on the Universal Century plot, is Unicorn the newest anime in the series (I realize it's an adaptation).

Oh, and I also only watch dubs.

Blader

Unicorn is the newest, but I don't know how accessible it is to people generally unfamiliar with UC, since there's a lot of UC continuity that comes into play here.

And it is dubbed (simultaneous release, so subbed and dubbed episodes are released together), probably the best Gundam dub to date.

X-Frame said:
And so the La+ program onboard the Unicorn gradually reveals new information each time the NT-D system is activated or something?

Yep.

Seda

Blader5489 said:
Unicorn is the newest, but I don't know how accessible it is to people generally unfamiliar with UC, since there's a lot of UC continuity that comes into play here.

Thanks. Most of my UC knowledge comes from the PS2 game "Journey to Jaburo"...:lol

Blader

Seda said:
Thanks. Most of my UC knowledge comes from the PS2 game "Journey to Jaburo"...:lol

If you've at least seen the original MSG series and Char's Counterattack, you should be good.

There's a lot of cool references and callbacks that you might miss, but there's also a lot that gets explained as it comes up so you wouldn't be totally in the dark.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
B.K. said:
They're actually better than the tv series.

So I've heard many times but its hard ta believe and harder to decide on!

zoku88 said:
Actual spoilers:

Ya for reals. Still sucked when it happened...
so glad Marida survived!

donkey show said:
They've made that an art form over the years.

Also the art of prisoners not remaining prisoners for very long!

Another solid eppy! That Axis is a stubborn old rock. So much craps happened to it and its still there! Lotsa glowy sparkly action and dramatic speeches as usual. That NT-D thingy seems very Zero Systemish. Is the battle moving to earth now? I wanted an all space-based series!

Blader

Lindsay said:
Another solid eppy! That Axis is a stubborn old rock. So much craps happened to it and its still there!

That was Palau, not Axis.

Lindsay said:
Is the battle moving to earth now? I wanted an all space-based series!

The next couple episodes will be on Earth, and that's why episode 4 won't be out until the fall: the animation team has to come up with new tricks for lighting, shadows, beam effects, thrust effects, etc. for Earth settings now.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Blader5489 said:
That was Palau, not Axis.

Ohhh I thought that was just the name of a city in Axis. The fact that it seemed to be 2 big old space rocks linked together made me thought it was that place to >.<;

The next couple episodes will be on Earth, and that's why episode 4 won't be out until the fall: the animation team has to come up with new tricks for lighting, shadows, beam effects, thrust effects, etc. for Earth settings now.

Doh! Stupid earth holding the series back in more ways then one!

isny

napkin dispenser
Just finished with 00. It was no where near as emotional as Seed, but still a great series.

In the process of ripping my Gundam Wing Remastered DVD's to my PC now so I can watch that in Japanese for the first time on my daily commute to and from work. (Only ever watched it dubbed...but that dub was very well done)

Too bad it takes half an hour or longer to rip each episode =(

I'm really tempted by Unicorn, but I'm hoping we get a full series release next year once the single disc releases are done. Not going to shell out that kind of cash right now >.>

xero273

Unicorn vol 3 is coming out next week. Anyone know of a place with a better price than rightstuf? Amazon doesn't have it up for order so my only option right now looks like rightstuf.

Thanks.

xero273 said:
Unicorn vol 3 is coming out next week. Anyone know of a place with a better price than rightstuf? Amazon doesn't have it up for order so my only option right now looks like rightstuf.

Thanks.
So weird amazon doesn't have it. Didn't they have an exclusive on the last one.

xero273

_dementia said:
So weird amazon doesn't have it. Didn't they have an exclusive on the last one.

amazon only sold the 1st one. Second one was sold at amazon through third party which was bandai.

glaurung

I've been getting back into regular MG gunpla building after venturing away to Macross and Armored Core for a while, and since I was building my titanium finish RX-0, I started wondering what the next PG model is going to be...

Since Bandai did Astray and then Exia and then Freedom Strike, what are the chances that the next PG will be something out of Gundam Unicorn?

donkey show said:
Gundam_firefighting.jpg

I guess current events are proof that the 1:1 RX78 is just a statue afterall.... :(

coldvein

Banned
gundam nub question: did Gundam Wing ever come out on anything besides the individual DVD's? is there a box set? perhaps something slimmer and more handsome than a bunch of DVDs on my shelf? a bluray maybe? i'd looooooooooooove to have all of that show on bluray.

edit: actually, while i'm at it, are there ANY complete gundam series on bluray?

Pollux

Hey y'all. I want to watch the gundam series' but whats the best order to watch everything in.

I've seen wing, and g-fundam, and 0080 and 0083, the original series, and g savior (which sucked), as well as parts of turn a gundam.

I'm fine with watching everything again but if you had to list all the series in order of watching...what would that order be?

Zekes!

I'm almost done G Gundam; I'm on to episode 38. Shit's been tight so far. I constantly get the urge to yell "ERUPTING BURNING FIIIIINGEEEEER!" and then punch someone in the face while walking down the street though.

Zekes! said:
I'm almost done G Gundam; I'm on to episode 38. Shit's been tight so far. I constantly get the urge to yell "ERUPTING BURNING FIIIIINGEEEEER!" and then punch someone in the face while walking down the street though.
You think it's the shit now? Fucking wait, just fucking wait cuz it only gets better. =)

Zekes! said:

You haven't even gotten to the best parts. G Gundam is one of the manliest shows of all time.

"Look! The East is burning red!"

coldvein said:
gundam nub question: did Gundam Wing ever come out on anything besides the individual DVD's? is there a box set? perhaps something slimmer and more handsome than a bunch of DVDs on my shelf? a bluray maybe? i'd looooooooooooove to have all of that show on bluray.

It's been released in a bundle in the past.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CEV3NM/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EQ5UY6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

edit: actually, while i'm at it, are there ANY complete gundam series on bluray?

In Japan? Yes. Alongside F91 and CCA, Zeta, ZZ and 00 are all on Blu-ray.
Outside Japan? No. Gundam UC is the only series to even be released on Blu-ray outside Japan.

coldvein

Banned
I had been out of the loop with MG series, but judging from the last couple it looks like they're tackling Wing? Any hope for a Heavyarms soon?

_dementia said:
I had been out of the loop with MG series, but judging from the last couple it looks like they're tackling Wing? Any hope for a Heavyarms soon?
Nothing yet, but Epyon is the next one in line... this time with teeth on its dragon feet, derp.

Pollux

_dementia said:
Wait what? what is he talking about?

PhiLonius

Zekes! said:

donkey show said:
You think it's the shit now? Fucking wait, just fucking wait cuz it only gets better. =)

Yep, show gets even better towards the end.

Surprised I've never come across this thread before.

Pollux

PhiLonius said:
Yep, show gets even better towards the end.

Surprised I've never come across this thread before.
Haha G-Gundam has a great ending.

Also yea, I never saw this thread till last night so I was pleasantly surprised when it popped up. Any chance they release Unicorn as one box set once it's all out? It's only 5 or 6 episodes right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom