• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

Oh god, the director of AGE was an animator on SEED?

doomed.

edit - but he was an animator for 08th, 0083, and F91 too...so nevermind. :lol

Here's the story synopsis courtesy of ANN:

The story will span a century and three generations of Gundam pilots. In the year A.G. (Advanced Generation) 101 — several hundred years after humans migrated to space colonies — an Unknown Enemy (UE) suddenly attacks the space colony Angel and destroys it. The calamity and the huge loss of life became known afterward as "The Day the Angel Fell From the Skies."

Seven years later, the war with the UE comes to the once peaceful colony where seven-year-old Furitto Asuno lives. When Furitto loses his mother to the war, he is entrusted with the "AGE Device," a memory unit which has been handed down from generation to generation in his family. On the device are the designs for "Gundam," an ancient mobile suit known as a savior. Furitto resolves to built the Gundam.

In the year A.G. 115, 14-year-old Furitto is at the Earth Federation base Arinsuton on the space colony Nora. For seven years, Furitto has continued developing with the base's engineers, and at last the "Gundam" is complete. The Gundam is equipped with the AGE System, which allows the unit automatically evolve. However, the UE has arrived at Nora, and Furitto must fight in the very Gundam he built himself.

hteng

Banned
Blader5489 said:

doomed.

stock.jpg

OMG they look like kids i know the Gundam cast is young sometimes but WTF is this.
Edit just saw the trailer fuck this , 14 years old and i don't like the young looking art style at all.

1stStrike

Banned
This is still the best scene in any gundam, IMO. They don't make em like this anymore. All that tension from the original gundam comes back in that moment and the scene is just setup perfectly.

Takao

Banned
Spoke too soon. I watched that trailer, and I'm out. Sunrise is just making the same show with a cast of 12 year olds.

Here I thought we might have got something to bridge the gap between SD, and normal Gundam. But nah.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
so can we add sunrise to companies that are mashing on the reset button? cuz based on what we see, this feels a lot like a retelling of 0079

Averon

It looks OK so far, better than I expected when it was first announced. However, I'm still very skeptical about this. The generational MC element is interesting. The MS designs, on the other hand, are bland.

NeonZ

Blader5489 said:
doomed.
Here's the story synopsis courtesy of ANN:

His previous work as a director were the Keroro movies, which consistently turned one of my favorite comedy franchises into standard bland children's anime fare with humorous scenes that more often than not just fell flat, and fairly bland action aside from a few rare moments, in spite of the higher budget and fluid animation. I think that is more worrying than anything else.

With a tv budget, the director of Keroro's tv show working with the same script writers of the movies managed to make some of the more serious elements work there better than in Susumu's movies (Dragon Warriors in the movie vs Dragon Warriors in the 7th season of the anime). Same goes to comedy. So, the problem is on Susumu's shoulders. Susumu Yamaguchi just hasn't proven himself to be a good director, based on his past work.

Blader

Parallax said:
so can we add sunrise to companies that are mashing on the reset button? cuz based on what we see, this feels a lot like a retelling of 0079

Like SEED?

Or most Gundam series, for that matter.

1stStrike

Banned
alternade said:
Regarding Zeta, should I watch the series or is watching the movies good enough?

I'd recommend watching the series for the full experience. The movies are more like a summary of the events in the series and skip a lot of stuff.

Blader

alternade said:
Regarding Zeta, should I watch the series or is watching the movies good enough?

I'm in the minority and think the movies overall are much better than the series...but even still, for a 1st time viewer, I'd recommend watching the series. The movies just move too quickly for people unfamiliar with the story.

duckroll

Parallax said:

You have never heard of AU have you? Are you even a Gundam fan? Lol.

NeonZ

Blader5489 said:
Who wants to bet that the aliens here will end up being like the Jovians from Nadesico? I.e.
displaced humans

In the youtube footage, the "dragon" looked quite a bit like a mobile suit with a dragon theme rather than some kind of monster or alien design... so, I won't be surprised if that happens. However, I guess in this case it might turn out that there's a single "villain" behind everything, rather than an entire civilization.

alternade said:

Watch the series. The movies start out okay, but wind up ruining most of the great moments from the series and change way too many things.

TV Zeta is Gundam perfection.

donkey show said:
I'm totally cool with aliens as long as they are represented well (i.e. not like the 00 movie).

Aliens are fine if they can make them interesting actual villains. Problem with aliens like in 00 is that they were just mindless things to kill with no actual character.

Have no doubt the "aliens" (have they actually called them aliens? Because all I have seen is "unknown enemy" and invaders) are human of some kind.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Watch the series. The movies start out okay, but wind up ruining most of the great moments from the series and change way too many things.

The movies also really are a total mess of editing that is going to confuse someone not familiar with the TV series. The Zeta movies were basically made for the already Gundam fans with it's new fanservice and an excuse to sell new Zeta merch.

Jex

KuwabaraTheMan said:

Or just wisely avoid Zeta altogether.

Atolm

According to ANN, another new Gundam project will be announced on June 25th, let's hope it's that new UC series Okawara talked about months ago...

Atolm said:
According to ANN, another new Gundam project will be announced on June 25th, let's hope it's that new UC series Okawara talked about months ago...

The picture they're using in the teaser is the RX-78. I wonder if it it has something to do with the 1:1 full-size statue and it's next location?

Jex

Bebpo said:
Why would you avoid the Gundam with the best mecha and battles?!??
I didn't tell anyone to avoid 0083, even thought they should! Wait, I guess that might just count as best animation. Perhaps they should head over to Unicorn if the best battles is what they seek? Then again Gundam 0080 is great too...

I like to point people in the direction of the properties with best story and writing, which also happen to include cool battles.

Blader

Much as I love 0080, I don't think its battles were really any good. They looked like they were ripped right out of Patlabor -- which I also love, but never really made for exciting robot-on-robot action.

Jex

Blader5489 said:
Much as I love 0080, I don't think its battles were really any good. They looked like they were ripped right out of Patlabor -- which I also love, but never really made for exciting robot-on-robot action.
Stop explaining why they are great before I have a chance too! (I mean especially Palatbor 1 movie, not just the TV series). By which I mean the robots look and act as if they were heavy and the combat sequences, brief as the are, actually make a lot of sense.

Blader5489 said:

I swear GAF is bizarro mecha land

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom