• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebpo

Banned
They should have waited until Turn A blu-rays came out in Japan. Being pre-digital, but late 90s, the show should look AWESOME in HD whenever Japan restores it on BD.

Jex

Lafiel said:
I don't know, you should be glad it's even getting a release at all.:p
I guess they know it won't sell either way, but I'm glad they're putting it out there.
zmoney said:
because some of us don't want to read subtitles....
I feel like I'm discussing anime in the 90's!

Ryuukan

I've watched 0079 a few years ago and enjoyed it and I finally had the time to watch Zeta last month and loved it.
I have about 10 episodes left of ZZ Gundam and even though there has been some goofy BS, I am still enjoying it. I don't really understand the demonizing the show gets, but maybe that will change once I finish it.

(I have not watched any other Gundam series)

Bebpo said:
They should have waited until Turn A blu-rays came out in Japan. Being pre-digital, but late 90s, the show should look AWESOME in HD whenever Japan restores it on BD.

They are doing a cheap release with Turn A, they aren't going to think about Blurays

Ryuukan said:
I've watched 0079 a few years ago and enjoyed it and I finally had the time to watch Zeta last month and loved it.
I have about 10 episodes left of ZZ Gundam and even though there has been some goofy BS, I am still enjoying it. I don't really understand the demonizing the show gets, but maybe that will change once I finish it.

(I have not watched any other Gundam series)

ZZ has lot of silly and crappy eps early on, but greatly improves later on and Judau was one of the most grounded Gundam pilots in the franchise who wasn't crazy or angst ridden. The ending was kind of meh though. Was better than alot of the recent garbage like Destiny and 00 S2

Ryuukan

BattleMonkey said:
ZZ has lot of silly and crappy eps early on, but greatly improves later on and Judau was one of the most grounded Gundam pilots in the franchise who wasn't crazy or angst ridden. The ending was kind of meh though. Was better than alot of the recent garbage like Destiny and 00 S2

I finished watching ZZ and I really enjoyed it. Overall, Zeta was more intense, but this was still a good watch. On to Char's Counterattack next.

B.K.

cHj8I.jpg

Interesting piece of art they chose, if it's real.

distantmantra said:
Reading around on 2channel, it appears to be manga related. Don't get too hyped.

We'll see, though.
:sadface

I've been on a Gundam Wing fix lately and it's reminded me of how much a pimp Trieze is.

beat

distantmantra said:
Reading around on 2channel, it appears to be manga related. Don't get too hyped.

We'll see, though.
That might mean fewer model kits, but OTOH it seems like every alt universe they do rides the "make all the mechs Gundams so they'll sell more" ruling about as far as they can go (Turn-A excepted) and overall mech design quality/variation suffers for it.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2011/06/08/new-gundam-to-be-called-gundam-age

Mobile Suit Gundam AGE is the next gundam series.

duckroll in the animu thread said:
Gundam AGE

The next Gundam TV series starting this Fall is a kiddy show with kiddy designs, and a total kiddy focus! Fuck yeah! Not just an anime, but manga, a card game, more gunpla, and other GIMMICKS! The new Gundam franchise comes from the mind of Akihiro Hino, the boss of Level 5. Fresh from ruining Dragon Quest, he tries his hand at ruining another beloved classic franchise not even in his industry specialization! AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hino is in charge of the story, and probably the marketing concepts for Gundam Age. Looks super bad. I am impressed by the badness!

isny

napkin dispenser
Gimme my Seed movie already gosh darnit =(

Guess it's probably never going to happen...at least 00 was good ><

Blader

Bebpo said:
Goodbye Gundam Franchise.

You were once enjoyable.

The (probably) best Gundam work ever still has another 3 episodes in the works.

The franchise could simultaneously be at its highest and lowest points. :lol

Averon

WHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10/10, Sunrise. Master troll.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Blader5489 said:
The (probably) best Gundam work ever still has another 3 episodes in the works.

The franchise could simultaneously be at its highest and lowest points. :lol

Gundam Unicorn is not nearly as good as the original movie trilogy, 0080 or Turn A.

IsayFever

So I recently rewatched the Gundam 00 series. The constant referral of first and last names over and over even in casual conversations drove me bonkers yet again!

isny

napkin dispenser
IsayFever said:
So I recently rewatched the Gundam 00 series. The constant referral of first and last names over and over even in casual conversations drove me bonkers yet again!

You watched it subbed...right...?

isny

napkin dispenser
IsayFever said:
Of course. Original audio only

I really don't remember that. Maybe it just didn't bother me? Or maybe the fan dub didn't translate it that way? Either way, it's still a great looking series =)

IsayFever

isny said:
I really don't remember that. Maybe it just didn't bother me? Or maybe the fan dub didn't translate it that way? Either way, it's still a great looking series =)

Hm maybe it just bothered me that every time anybody talked to say Setunsa, they would say "Setsuna F. Seiei" inplace of just Setsuna. Or "Lockon Stratos" in place of just Lockon

isny

napkin dispenser
IsayFever said:
Hm maybe it just bothered me that every time anybody talked to say Setunsa, they would say "Setsuna F. Seiei" inplace of just Setsuna. Or "Lockon Stratos" in place of just Lockon

Is this what they were saying verbally, or what the translation said? I only half read the subs, but from what I remember, they really only use full names when needed. If someone says "Hi Setsuna", as opposed to saying "OMG, it's that kid, Setsuna F Sieie", or in contempt like "Ali-Al Saachez" (I'm pissed off at you Ali, zomg contempt contempt!)

MCD said:
SETSUNA F SEIEI

SAJI CROSSROADO-KUN

This seems to be used when people are surprised to see someone. (As opposed to walking into a room and just saying "Saji")

Averon

/m/ is saying that the AGE-1 is piloted by a smart phone. I can't imagine how this can be a good idea.

I'm sort of speechless.

Hey guys I saw the thread bump. A new series?! *Read info & sees scans*

Err...I'll go back to watching re-runs and old series for a few more years then!

Oh please, as if Gundam wasn't marketed towards kids since 1979.

Hopefully, this ends up being another G Gundam or even Gundam Tetsujin 28. Though I don't really have a lot of hope for it. I'm not really liking the main mobile suit design.

Mr. Pointy said:
Oh please, as if Gundam wasn't marketed towards kids since 1979.

Hopefully, this ends up being another G Gundam. Though I don't really have a lot of hope for it. I'm not really liking the main mobile suit design.

Sometimes I wonder if we will ever get something like that ever again.

Blader

I kind of like the idea of telling the story over three generations, spread out over a hundred year war. Nothing else in the premise sounds good though. :lol

Nonoriri said:
Gundam Unicorn is not nearly as good as the original movie trilogy, 0080 or Turn A.

I wouldn't put Unicorn in the top spot now, but I think if it continues at the rate it's going, it will be. There are some aspects that other greats fall short in (animation in 0079, action in 0080, music in 08th MS, writing in Zeta/CCA, etc.) and so far Unicorn has been acing every one of those areas. Not saying Unicorn would have the best story or best characters or best score of any Gundam, but -- unless it takes a severe nosedive -- it would be the best overall package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom