• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keasar

After seeing some of the Gundam Unicorn moviepisodes (?), I am really wondering if not a MG Sinanju would be sweet to build, however, I am finding two of them where one is called "Ver. Ka" which as I understood is a modified version by some designer. Which of the two would be most recommended?

NEO0MJ

After seeing some of the Gundam Unicorn moviepisodes (?), I am really wondering if not a MG Sinanju would be sweet to build, however, I am finding two of them where one is called "Ver. Ka" which as I understood is a modified version by some designer. Which of the two would be most recommended?

The ver.KA, no doubt about it.

Ver. Ka is the OG version, modeled by Hajime Katoki who designed the Unicorns, etc. If you want the rocket bazooka, get the OVA version. Aside from slight differences in decals, Ver. Ka and OVA are essentially the same kit. You won't go wrong with either one.

Just saw this thread while searching for more info on G no Reconquista! Hi GundamGAF =D

Now, the thing that got me to post here is: there is a Gundam-san anime? What the hell, I must watch it, the manga is amazing. Haro and Ordinary Zaku stories are the best.

Yes, there is. Unfortunately, it's not available on Gundam.info's YouTube channel like most of the other Gundam shows. So... illicit dealing will find you a fansubbed version.

CorvoSol

After War Gundam X 2

So here's the positives: The three Gundams introduced so far all seem fairly interesting in that they seem based around different ideas. The red one can fly, the green one is all them missiles, and the X has its moon laser.

The Satellite System seems to be some manner of lunar based adaptation of Mobile Suit Gundam's Solar System, which makes it pretty damn broken, since it glassed the desert beneath the X. Whether that makes it more powerful than the Wing Zero's Buster or not, I don't know, but it's pretty ridiculous.

Garrod is a pretty fun character so far. He looks a bit like Heero, but he's a lot more Duo in terms of personality. Sorta sarcastic, very energetic, and I dunno, just fun.

I'm also a fan of the weird, and fairly bleak, set up to this universe. "The One Year War was a resounding failure for both sides and yet humanity continues to butcher itself."

The negative: I kinda hate Tiffa so far. Like I kinda wonder if people who hate Relena have ever seen Tiffa. She talks like a three year old, when she talks at all, has a constantly stunned expression on her face and after she sets up the microwave laser she freaks the fuck out. So I sorta don't like her one bit thus far.

Keasar

The ver.KA, no doubt about it.

Ver. Ka is the OG version, modeled by Hajime Katoki who designed the Unicorns, etc. If you want the rocket bazooka, get the OVA version. Aside from slight differences in decals, Ver. Ka and OVA are essentially the same kit. You won't go wrong with either one.

So it's either unique decals vs. a bazooka? I assume the decals look neat but then there is the bazooka....

Decisions....

NEO0MJ

So it's either unique decals vs. a bazooka? I assume the decals look neat but then there is the bazooka....

Decisions....

Wait, I was sleepy and misread you post as Hi-Nu for some reason >_>
Anyways, it doesn't make too much of a difference. I guess the stickers might look better on the OVA version, though.

Keasar

OVA it is. Not sure if I will paint the gold details myself as I have absolutely no confidence in my painting skills. :p

Edit: Not making the order just yet, gonna finish the last two kits I got before moving onward. That and I kinda drained my extra cash on buying all these supplies and kits to get started with. I have also set my highest goal once I feel I got enough experience in this, the Perfect Grade Zaku II.

Ah, got it. What would you recommend? Gold color sounds fancy but maybe the less shiny version has some pros as well?

I have an OVA chilling in my backlog... >.< But yeah, the OVA stickers look less gaudy perhaps?

EDIT: Oh, well you've made a good choice either way. Sinanju is like one of the best kits ever.

PhiLonius

After War Gundam X 2

So here's the positives: The three Gundams introduced so far all seem fairly interesting in that they seem based around different ideas. The red one can fly, the green one is all them missiles, and the X has its moon laser.

The Satellite System seems to be some manner of lunar based adaptation of Mobile Suit Gundam's Solar System, which makes it pretty damn broken, since it glassed the desert beneath the X. Whether that makes it more powerful than the Wing Zero's Buster or not, I don't know, but it's pretty ridiculous.

Garrod is a pretty fun character so far. He looks a bit like Heero, but he's a lot more Duo in terms of personality. Sorta sarcastic, very energetic, and I dunno, just fun.

I'm also a fan of the weird, and fairly bleak, set up to this universe. "The One Year War was a resounding failure for both sides and yet humanity continues to butcher itself."

The negative: I kinda hate Tiffa so far. Like I kinda wonder if people who hate Relena have ever seen Tiffa. She talks like a three year old, when she talks at all, has a constantly stunned expression on her face and after she sets up the microwave laser she freaks the fuck out. So I sorta don't like her one bit thus far.

Garrod is kind of a less cool/capable Judau.

Tifa has a very slow progression, but for the most part she doesn't change too much.

I think the Satellite Cannon is a bit more powerful than the Buster Rifle, but obviously it needs a visible moon to work.

After War Gundam X 2

Most people love Tiffa and think X has the best romance in the franchise. Personally im with you. I find her boring as fuck. I dont hate her, but she isnt very interesting.

X is an okay show. Its not bad, but it fails to deliver on its premise imho. Should have been more Mad Max. Jamil is a great character though.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Ennil El is best gundam girl second only to Allenby

I think gundam x is one of the best gundam shows. It falls victim to circumstances more than anything and despite its early cancellation it still has a better ending than shows that get their full 50+ episodes.

This of course isn't apparent by episode 2 tho. Show does a lot of interesting things with long running UC concepts

Beth Cyra

After War Gundam X 2

Yeah, I can't stand Tifa, so incredibly boring and dull.

I disagree with people who think G Gundam has good romance between Domon/Rain, but at least I respect their arguments and can kinda see their point with them........Garrod/Tifa I think people are flat insane.

I honestly didn't care for Garrod, but then I don't like Domon and prefer leads like Heero/Setsuna and Judau (though as mentioned by another post Garrod could be like a super loser version of Judau.)

The Sat Canon is actually a pretty good deal stronger then the TBR, however it's far, far less useful. The restrictions on the Weapon as well as the slowness and how difficult it is to maneuver the weapon while deployed makes it nearly useless to any pilot who doesn't have their brain removed and decideds to stand in it's way. TBR utility makes it an overall much better weapon.

CorvoSol

Garrod is kind of a less cool/capable Judau.

Tifa has a very slow progression, but for the most part she doesn't change too much.

I think the Satellite Cannon is a bit more powerful than the Buster Rifle, but obviously it needs a visible moon to work.

Yeah Garrod kinda reminds me of Judau in his color scheme, too. The red jacket and messy black hair n all. Does the Sat Cannon work more frequently in space? And what about when the Moon is visible during the day?

Most people love Tiffa and think X has the best romance in the franchise. Personally im with you. I find her boring as fuck. I dont hate her, but she isnt very interesting.

X is an okay show. Its not bad, but it fails to deliver on its premise imho. Should have been more Mad Max. Jamil is a great character though.

I do appreciate the Mad Max feeling it has going on. But yeah, so far Tifa is really dull. Kinda curious as to why people think X has the best romance, but then again a large number of Gundam fans think the best couple is Kira and Lacus, so I probably don't need to probe too far down that hole.

Yeah, I can't stand Tifa, so incredibly boring and dull.

I disagree with people who think G Gundam has good romance between Domon/Rain, but at least I respect their arguments and can kinda see their point with them........Garrod/Tifa I think people are flat insane.

I honestly didn't care for Garrod, but then I don't like Domon and prefer leads like Heero/Setsuna and Judau (though as mentioned by another post Garrod could be like a super loser version of Judau.)

The Sat Canon is actually a pretty good deal stronger then the TBR, however it's far, far less useful. The restrictions on the Weapon as well as the slowness and how difficult it is to maneuver the weapon while deployed makes it nearly useless to any pilot who doesn't have their brain removed and decideds to stand in it's way. TBR utility makes it an overall much better weapon.

See, the reason I like Rain and Domon is because there's no nonsensical Newtype magic at work like there is with say, Banagheeeeee and Audrey. Even the in-universe soul of the fist isn't at work behind the two of them. So the show actually has to spend time making them work. Unlike in some Gundam shows where the protagonist gets the girl because his dick is installed with a magic woman magnet.

As to the Sat Cannon, I think one of the more obvious flaws is how damn long it took to charge the thing. I have no idea why nobody bothered to shoot at the Gundam right then and stop it from doing whatever it was obviously doing. Then again, in all the scuffles the Gundam's had these past two episodes it hasn't even been scratched, so maybe running was the better option.

RangerBAD

Ennil El is best gundam girl second only to Allenby

I think gundam x is one of the best gundam shows. It falls victim to circumstances more than anything and despite its early cancellation it still has a better ending than shows that get their full 50+ episodes.

This of course isn't apparent by episode 2 tho. Show does a lot of interesting things with long running UC concepts

It seems she was supposed to get her own Gundam, but that part got cut. I would have liked to have seen that.

I'm in a really good mood right now, so this is gonna seem weird, but I gotta say. I really love posting in this thread with all of you. Even you, Corvo. GundamGAF is the best GAF

PhiLonius

Yeah Garrod kinda reminds me of Judau in his color scheme, too. The red jacket and messy black hair n all. Does the Sat Cannon work more frequently in space? And what about when the Moon is visible during the day?

See, the reason I like Rain and Domon is because there's no nonsensical Newtype magic at work like there is with say, Banagheeeeee and Audrey. Even the in-universe soul of the fist isn't at work behind the two of them. So the show actually has to spend time making them work. Unlike in some Gundam shows where the protagonist gets the girl because his dick is installed with a magic woman magnet.

As to the Sat Cannon, I think one of the more obvious flaws is how damn long it took to charge the thing. I have no idea why nobody bothered to shoot at the Gundam right then and stop it from doing whatever it was obviously doing. Then again, in all the scuffles the Gundam's had these past two episodes it hasn't even been scratched, so maybe running was the better option.

Garrod becomes a really great character as the show goes on. He does have his dumb/WTF occurrences like any pilot, but he also has some legit awesome moments, two I can remember specifically
(getting the DX for the first time and using the satellite cannon to get Tifa back while in space)

I forget about how the X fared in space, but the DX fixes a few of the problems with it. The X Moah in GBF is probably the best iteration of it though.

Also there's a Allenby 2.0 situation in this show as well.

I'm in a really good mood right now, so this is gonna seem weird, but I gotta say. I really love posting in this thread with all of you. Even you, Corvo. GundamGAF is the best GAF

wJ0omUE.gif

I've put together 4 HGs and was thinking of stepping up to RG with the Strike but the MG and stand look a lot nicer.

Would you guys recommend trying at least 1 RG or jump straight to trying MGs? If I should stick to RG I was thinking either Exia or the RX78-2. Trying not to double up on suits too much so I think I'd skip the Strike or Freedom RGs

Ken

I've put together 4 HGs and was thinking of stepping up to RG with the Strike but the MG and stand look a lot nicer.

Would you guys recommend trying at least 1 RG or jump straight to trying MGs? If I should stick to RG I was thinking either Exia or the RX78-2. Trying not to double up on suits too much so I think I'd skip the Strike or Freedom RGs

MGMGMGMGMGMGMGMGMG

Leezard

Garrod becomes a really great character as the show goes on. He does have his dumb/WTF occurrences like any pilot, but he also has some legit awesome moments, two I can remember specifically
(getting the DX for the first time and using the satellite cannon to get Tifa back while in space)

That was a great moment and shows how to use the satellite cannon properly. I like Gundam X due to moments like that.

I just gotta wait for my Neo Zeong to arrive

...SD Neo Zeong that is

Ordered it alongside HGUC MK-II Titans, gonna have some fun times ahead

Gundam ZZ 05

Guys.... I don't think I can do this. Please tell me all these episodes are a weird fever dream in Kamille's head explaining why its so fucking silly.

Leezard

Gundam ZZ 05

Guys.... I don't think I can do this. Please tell me all these episodes are a weird fever dream in Kamille's head explaining why its so fucking silly.

It becomes more serious soon. Then there will be moon moon and more silliness, but it will all be good in the end!

Beth Cyra

Hang in there. The silliness goes away.

The amazing thing about the Virsago is that it manages to be both the Dragon Gundam and the Master Gundam.

The Virsago is much closer to Altron (to the point the Dragon Fang and Arm design are nearly identical) and then an equal measure of Master/Epyon.

Shouta

After War Gundam X 2

GX's Sat cannon is significantly stronger than the TBR but has restrictions on using it. But they compensate for it through other methods. One of the nice things about Gundam X's Gundam designs is that it applies some combat logic to the usual hero unit shenanigans.

All 3 Hero units work in tandem with each other and fulfill different roles in the group. That allows them to cover weaknesses and fight more effectively. Airmaster is speed and air superiority. Leopard is fire support/live ammunition. The GX is general purpose/artillery. Pretty smart design that often goes overlooked in these war focused series, lol.

Metal Armor Dragonar uses this paradigm with their protagonists and their units as well though it's even more role orientated (Close Range, Fire Support, ECM support)

PhiLonius

All 3 Hero units work in tandem with each other and fulfill different roles in the group. That allows them to cover weaknesses and fight more effectively. Airmaster is speed and air superiority. Leopard is fire support/live ammunition. The GX is general purpose/artillery. Pretty smart design that often goes overlooked in these war focused series, lol.

I wish we could get a series that pushed this sort of thing a bit more, or was maybe completely based on it.

00 had the perfect suit designs for something like this and had a few occurrences where they used it, but they rarely ever went anywhere with it.

CorvoSol

I wish we could get a series that pushed this sort of thing a bit more, or was maybe completely based on it.

00 had the perfect suit designs for something like this and had a few occurrences where they used it, but they rarely ever went anywhere with it.

Because when it came time to actually start thinking about how to use their Gundams strategically they just got new Gundams and Trans-Am instead.

One of the things I liked about Full Metal Panic was how the later stories managed to keep the not-super-power-having mechs relevant and useful. To 00's credit, though, I suppose escalation of military technology was a theme in the show.

Acid08

Banned
Fenice finished!

Was my first attempt at panel lining, thought it turned out pretty good! Not perfect obviously but I'm pretty proud of the way some of the pieces turned out. I found it kinda hard to work with, 1/144 are just so small :lol

MG F91 is up next and I'm SUPER EXCITED for it.

CorvoSol

Gundam X 4

Man, I don't know how stupid the crew of the Frieden has to be to not realize that they'd let a Gundam onboard. That's a pretty darn big mess up for their so called mechanic boy genius. Meanwhile, it turns out that Garrod is basically Solid Snake, since he manages to walk wherever he darn pleases and has an unlimited supply of KO gas.

Also I don't remember the names of the Gundam bros who jumped ship but I sort of wish they had a better reason than "Your story is really heavy, bro."

I -did- like the implication that Jamil is basically an even more messed up, older Amuro Rey than the one we see by CCA. Because I mean, as hard as it was for Amuro to move past that (and arguably he never did. Char could have, till CCA decided he didn't, but that's another fight for another day), at least he hadn't been the one to pull the trigger for the end of the world. Jamil seems rightly scarred by that.

Though I didn't understand: Is the Gundam one weapon or a series of weapons? Like, conceptually the X Gundam is the MS Gundam plus the Solar System, but I couldn't get a good enough look at the heads of the other Gundams to tell whether they were Gundam heads or just like, mass produced ones, and Jamil's story sort of made it sound like they were all under his own control, like Bits or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom