• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leezard

Though I didn't understand: Is the Gundam one weapon or a series of weapons? Like, conceptually the X Gundam is the MS Gundam plus the Solar System, but I couldn't get a good enough look at the heads of the other Gundams to tell whether they were Gundam heads or just like, mass produced ones, and Jamil's story sort of made it sound like they were all under his own control, like Bits or something.

The story will make this clear later.

If you really want to know right know:
There was one Gundam and the rest are G-Bits.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I wish we could get a series that pushed this sort of thing a bit more, or was maybe completely based on it.

00 had the perfect suit designs for something like this and had a few occurrences where they used it, but they rarely ever went anywhere with it.

And their upgrades moved further and further away from this dynamic

Because when it came time to actually start thinking about how to use their Gundams strategically they just got new Gundams and Trans-Am instead.

One of the things I liked about Full Metal Panic was how the later stories managed to keep the not-super-power-having mechs relevant and useful. To 00's credit, though, I suppose escalation of military technology was a theme in the show.
There were several episodes in 00 where they did utilize their unique abilities as a group nicely, like when they busted out Allelujah from prison and the assault on Memento Mori.

CorvoSol

There were several episodes in 00 where they did utilize their unique abilities as a group nicely, like when they busted out Allelujah from prison and the assault on Memento Mori.

I don't remember the assault on the Memento Mori all that well anymore, but I do think that the break-out was okay.

To be completely and totally fair when I trash talk 00's second season I ought to specify that it's really the latter end of the season and the movie. Early on I actually had higher hopes for that second season, especially with the Exia Repair.

Beth Cyra

Fenice finished!

Was my first attempt at panel lining, thought it turned out pretty good! Not perfect obviously but I'm pretty proud of the way some of the pieces turned out. I found it kinda hard to work with, 1/144 are just so small :lol

MG F91 is up next and I'm SUPER EXCITED for it.

Looks great, and you thankfully didn't break the V-fin like I did!. I love the Fenice, seriously it's one of my favorite designs ever and easily better then Wing TV.

Acid08

Banned
Looks great, and you thankfully didn't break the V-fin like I did!. I love the Fenice, seriously it's one of my favorite designs ever and easily better then Wing TV.

Yup, the Fenice was the best design in that show. Plus its' fight against the Strike was one of the best in the entire series.

and this is the greatest:

mobile-fighter-g-gundam-episode-1-english-dubbed.jpg

FUCK AMURO

FUCK CHAR

FUCK UC

G GUNDAM THE BEST

I cannot write as well as Corvo so here's my incredibly coherent G Gundam praising

CorvoSol

On that note, here is a post about how great I think G Gundam is. It contains other posts about how great I think G Gundam and Gundam Build Fighters are. It also has a shocking admission by me.

Turin

Banned
I remember I loved G Gundam as a young lad. Then I hated it as a teenager. Now I'm fond of it in retrospect.

Gundam Wing will always hold a special place in my heart though. I'd love to see that universe revisited in a show even though I guess it was pretty definitively concluded.

I also really liked 08th MS Team.

Ezalc

Yup, the Fenice was the best design in that show. Plus its' fight against the Strike was one of the best in the entire series.

and this is the greatest:

mobile-fighter-g-gundam-episode-1-english-dubbed.jpg

FUCK AMURO

FUCK CHAR

FUCK UC

G GUNDAM THE BEST

I cannot write as well as Corvo so here's my incredibly coherent G Gundam praising

On that note, here is a post about how great I think G Gundam is. It contains other posts about how great I think G Gundam and Gundam Build Fighters are. It also has a shocking admission by me.

I agree.

Acid08

Banned
Unboxed the MG F91 and holy shit the amount of pieces and the details on them blew me away. Such a huge step up from the HG stuff I've seen.

The manual is super cool too, tons of illustrations and story stuff weaved in. My favorite of which being:

Seabook and his sister figuring out the cat's cradle puzzle.

Tomino has said some interesting things over the past few days...

Gundam creator isn’t making his new series for you, doesn’t care if you don’t like it

- “Preexisting fans of Gundam won’t be able to understand it…I’m not making this for you, so please show it to your children and grandchildren, instead.”

Gundam's Tomino Thinks Young Voice Actors All Sound the Same

- "All of the young voice actors had been contaminated by currently trendy anime. All of their voices sounded the same to me, so the first order of business was to break them of those habits."

- According to Tomino, current voice acting adds too much flare and he was looking for actors whose voices sounded natural.

-The director also reached back in time to retcon his approval of Syd Mead's mechanical designs in Turn A Gundam.

:Tomino

Beth Cyra

Gundam creator isn’t making his new series for you, doesn’t care if you don’t like it

- “Preexisting fans of Gundam won’t be able to understand it…I’m not making this for you, so please show it to your children and grandchildren, instead.”

- "All of the young voice actors had been contaminated by currently trendy anime. All of their voices sounded the same to me, so the first order of business was to break them of those habits."

- According to Tomino, current voice acting adds too much flare and he was looking for actors whose voices sounded natural.

-The director also reached back in time to retcon his approval of Syd Mead's mechanical designs in Turn A Gundam.

Okay we knew all about the not being for Gundam fans, and I can get behind the unique voices thing.

I'm truly shocked he played down Syd's designs, greated I think they're junk but I always thought Tomino would defend them to the death.

RangerBAD

- According to Tomino, current voice acting adds too much flare and he was looking for actors whose voices sounded natural. It's not the first time he's said some stuff like this. He should make the story he wants. Probably his last Gundam and maybe even his last series. No reason to alienate people either with statements.

Yeah, he was saying this show is for kids. He's trying to convey a message to children for them to carry into their adulthood and their view of the world. He should make the series he wants, but he doesn't need to alienate people with his statements either. However, this probably his last Gundam series and probably his last series ever.

I like the idea of a mustache on a Gundam, but I was never huge on them using Syd Mead.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Finished Proto Wing Zero 1/100 MG tonight without foil stickers or marker detail. I didn't collapse his wings until I put him up for display. I did however use the blue Gundam marker over the cockpit. There were a few smudges there I wasn't proud of. I also switched to a small precision knife and it worked much better. I feel like the markers work better if you color the entire piece and let it dry for a couple hours. I did try to detail the ear wings on the face, but you can't tell in that picture.

photo_1.jpg

photo.jpg

His left knee is bent on purpose. I notice the body structure sticks out when he is in this position. When I was putting that piece together I accidentally put the joint on one of the legs too high. It looked like he was naturally bending his knee. I had to carefully retake the entire piece apart and redo the leg. Otherwise I really enjoyed this kit. He can also transform, but I'm just enjoying him at the moment.

NEO0MJ

Okay we knew all about the not being for Gundam fans, and I can get behind the unique voices thing.

I'm truly shocked he played down Syd's designs, greated I think they're junk but I always thought Tomino would defend them to the death.

While I don't agree on them being "junk", I really thought that quote was strange. In my opinion Turn A's mecha design was a breath of fresh air and were truly something else. I mean, how is it possible to hate the Turn X?

CorvoSol

I love Turn A because its really a visually distinct show. The mecha are just delightfully quirky.

Also, anyone who read my long post on G will see I dont hate Allenby nearly as much as I let on.

tensuke

Anyone know where I can get this from somewhere besides Australia? Don't want to spend $60 on a plush...if I don't have to.
99zsiHk.jpg

Enron

Banned
OVA it is. Not sure if I will paint the gold details myself as I have absolutely no confidence in my painting skills. :p

Paint the gold, its easier than you think. Just look up "reverse wash sinanju" and you'll find how-to's. Time consuming, but easy.

xillyriax

hey all, I saw that GundamInfo's Youtube channel has Seed. It is worth watching? Scrolled through the thread and it looks like to stay away from 00, which they also have up.

Acid08

Banned
hey all, I saw that GundamInfo's Youtube channel has Seed. It is worth watching? Scrolled through the thread and it looks like to stay away from 00, which they also have up.

First half of Seed straight up sucks. Second half is okay. The only Gundam show I've seen so far that I would actually say I didn't like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom