• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acid08

Banned
Mobile Suit Crossbone Gundam

I figured that this being the only Gundam manga series written by the Bald Wizard himself, and being I've never read a Gundam manga series before, I should give it a shot.

It was pretty good, I think my favorite part was how balls out the Crossbone Vanguard went on their Pirate motif (despite being more like rebels then actual pirates). The boosters shaped like an X on the back, the beam swords shaped like a Pirate's saber, the beam rifles shaped like flintlocks, the emblems on the chest and head. And they have capes. I fucking love when mechs wear capes.
Even their flagship has a mast. A spaceship mast.

I never watched F91, and I didn't know that was a sequel to this until I was nearly at the end but I don't think that really hampered my enjoyment or anything. If I did know I probably would've waited until I got around to it though.
The Crossbone X1, X2 and X3 themselves are awesome and probably one of my favorite UC Gundam designs. The mouth opening as a vent to expel heat is fucking awesome, and so is it's crotch anchor thing. I wish I had a crotch anchor.

I appreciate how little time is spent on stupid bullshit, yet this series can still be some ZZ-tier nonsense at times, like with Gladiator battles between a man and a Gundam and a monkey piloting a MS.
Tobia is a pretty good protagonist, he punched a princess and it was hilarious.
Crux Dogatie kind of feels like a mix of Haman Karn and CCA Char as a villain. He's mad about being stuck in space and the Federation still not caring about the people living there, so he wants to just drop some shit on Earth and make it uninhabitable. I never really got the whys and hows of that kind of plan, but whatever.

Now that I finished that, is it worth reading any of the spinoffs/sequels to this like Skullheart or Ghost, or even any other Gundam manga series (besides Origin) worth reading?
Other way around actually. Watch F91! The payoff for Seabook and Cecily's relationship was so good in Crossbone.

And yeah the mouth vent is so cool, love it on the F91 and Crossbone Gundams. Was 2sick in Build Fighters when it was weaponized.

The Plot to Assassinate Gihren is amazing. Probably one of my favorite bits of Gundam side material, and I wish it were animated. Highly fascinating political intrigued, a unique and likeable protagonists. Great mystery. Some cool mobile suit battles (there aren't many, but they are effective when they do happen).

That sounds pretty interesting.

Other way around actually. Watch F91! The payoff for Seabook and Cecily's relationship was so good in Crossbone.

Whoops, yeah I meant F91 was the prequel.

I might reread it or atleast skim through it again after I watch F91.

Any opinions on Steel 7/Skullheart/Ghost?

I don't think Tomino worked on the other Crossbones stories. I have only read the original, so I can't vouch for their quality, but people seem to enjoy them.

CorvoSol

G Gundam manga is worth reading. Not because it's really good or anything, (it's not) but the writer has clear feelings on the subject of Allenby x Domon and is very anti Rain.

Speaking of, I keep hearing there's supposed to be a G Gundam manga Imagawa is working on but I've never actually seen it. Anybody know how true this is?

Shiro was pretty bad too though. He was a shitty officer who failed his responsibility to his subordinates and could have gotten them killed because of Zeke pussy.

But at least he liked carrots

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bernie, I'll give you because he's a fantastic character. Shiro, feel like a real person? No way.

He's a love sick idiot cutting corners and just trying to do his job while the man breathes down his neck. He's not on Bernie's level but he's still a really real real ass dude.

CorvoSol

I mean I sure as fuck made a lightsaber jaccuzzi to impress my Nazi fetishist girlfriend. I thought everyone did things that way?

RangerBAD

Not entirely sure Crossbone was written by Tomino. His name sort of ends up on most Gundam things. The collective name (Yatate Hajime) for Sunrise also does. Pretty sure it was written and drawn by Hasegawa as is the sequel (Ghost).

Strikerrr

Banned
Thunderbolt is pretty good and has some cool "realistic" mecha designs (although the backpacks are pretty ridiculous). Unfortunately, there's only one volume of it translated and I really hope Vertical picks it up after the Origin.

Conceptor

sjdhajhdhdhd decided to watch Gundam UC on a whim. ahhhhh I love the animation and mobile suits already

I've only seen 00/2, Seed/Destiny and GBF previously and I play GGFR on my phone fairly often so I'm all excited from seeing the characters and units from this series in action

bpffffff

Any opinions on Steel 7/Skullheart/Ghost?
Skull heart is pretty hilarious, plus you get some neat cameos as well. :) After that is Steel 7 which is a proper sequel to Crossbone. Pretty good with a more "serious" storyline and you get to see some origins of certain UC mobile suits. Ghost is still going on I believe, but I've enjoyed what I've read so far. It coincides with V Gundam timeline wise.

Not entirely sure Crossbone was written by Tomino. His name sort of ends up on most Gundam things. The collective name (Yatate Hajime) for Sunrise also does. Pretty sure it was written and drawn by Hasegawa as is the sequel (Ghost).
Tomino was involved with the creation of the first Crossbone manga and possibly the overall plot (I even remember an interview of him talking about it ages ago. It was the first and only Gundam manga he had a hand on). But the rest was by Hasegawa.

This is amazing:

32432423432.jpg

RangerBAD

Tomino was involved with the creation of the first Crossbone manga and possibly the overall plot (I even remember an interview of him talking about it ages ago. It was the first and only Gundam manga he had a hand on). But the rest was by Hasegawa.

More like his creation of UC, other Gundam related stuff and F91 which it's a sequel to.

RSLAEV

Just finished Unicorn. Holy Moley that was like some Evangelion level shit. So I guess
Char and Amuro ascended to another plane of existence where they exist outside of time? I guess that's one way to retire your main characters

Just finished Unicorn. Holy Moley that was like some Evangelion level shit. So I guess
Char and Amuro ascended to another plane of existence where they exist outside of time? I guess that's one way to retire your main characters

They died and became newtype ghosts, like every other newtype that has died in the series.

Looking back at Unicorn,
scene cribs heavily on Amuro's death from the original Gundam novel. Both are killed, then their ghosts tell a special farewell message to various degrees of clarity to all their newtype friends.

CorvoSol

I'm not saying that
Char and Amuro are still alive
but if I were a fanatical fanboy Hellbent on saying that the first thing I'd point to is that
Haman and Judau have a vision of Kamille Bidan during their final battle even though Kamille is alive at that moment.

But I'm not a fanatical fanboy hellbent on saying that, so I'll reiterate that I do, in fact, think
they dead.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I finally know why some people hate waterslide decal, I am just doing the normal sticker decal on my MG and already spent 5 hours and only 70% done. It must take days to do waterslide since you need to apply solutions.

Those small decal are also easy to get lost too. I lost one of the small warning label, and ended up finding it in my neck when I am showering hours later.

Enron

Banned
I finally know why some people hate waterslide decal, I am just doing the normal sticker decal on my MG and already spent 5 hours and only 70% done. It must take days to do waterslide since you need to apply solutions.

Those small decal are also easy to get lost too. I lost one of the small warning label, and ended up finding it in my neck when I am showering hours later.

Use fine-work tweezers, my man. Also waterslides >>>>>> any other kind of decal.

glaurung

Because of... reasons... I have been missing out on a lot of gunpla news.

Has there been any inkling as to what the next Real Grade model is going to be?

RSLAEV

OK, I know I'm like 3 months late to the discussion but who do you think Full Frontal was?

edit: because I'm still confused

Leezard

So, what was he supposed to be?

The impression I got from the ova was that he was
a clone of char possessed by the ghost of char
, as nonsensical as it might sound.

RangerBAD

So, what was he supposed to be?

The impression I got from the ova was that he was
a clone of char possessed by the ghost of char
, as nonsensical as it might sound.

Not by his ghost per se, more like his regret and anger which is a part of Char. That's why we see Char putting his hand on Full Frontal's shoulder and then he becomes an empty shell or something. Char took back what belonged to him.
That's why Full Frontal is such a confusing existence.

Speaking of Full Frontal. Neo Zeong gunpla cameo.

Leezard

Not by his ghost per se, more like his regret and anger which is a part of Char. That's why we see Char putting his hand on Full Frontal's shoulder and then he becomes an empty shell or something. Char took back what belonged to him.
That's why Full Frontal is such a confusing existence.

Speaking of Full Frontal. Neo Zeong gunpla cameo.

All right, I see, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom