• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBAD

Amuro imagines what Mobile Suits talk about this week.

TUSXOnQ.jpg
wbmbbdX.jpg
IFZzWgJ.jpg

Preach it, Gundam-san.

Amuro enjoys those scoldings.

CorvoSol

Things start to happen after the obligatory mid-series Gundam upgrade at least.

See, I don't want to be too down on it because basically every other Gundam series has a really slow start but I feel like nobody is doing anything, like, every episode. Like they had to include the Witz' money storyline last episode because "I'm gonna sell the Gundam!" wasn't interesting to carry the episode itself.

Leezard

See, I don't want to be too down on it because basically every other Gundam series has a really slow start but I feel like nobody is doing anything, like, every episode. Like they had to include the Witz' money storyline last episode because "I'm gonna sell the Gundam!" wasn't interesting to carry the episode itself.

There is a short arc soon at episodes 10-12 or 9-13 or somewhere around there that I like, they start to touch more upon newtypes. I forget about what happens between that and the mid-series upgrade. But yeah, the series is slow enough in the beginning so that it lost ratings and got cancelled. I think it's a shame as I enjoy the later part of the series and the specific view it has on newtypes.

We are gonna get along very well! If you have a ps3, consider joining us with Gundam EXVS FB.

The BEST GAME EVER!

Interested after reading this kotaku article http://kotaku.com/5920417/why-gundam-extreme-vs-is-the-best-anime-based-game-ever-made
Will get it after I clear some of my backlog!

Well, do you count the fact that Turn A ended in 2000 as making it part of the 21st century? If so, the best gundam show ever was made in the 21st century. If not, I might be able to give that to you as the only other decent post-2000 Gundam show is SEED and I probably like 00 more.

You will find no stauncher defender of 00 Season 1 than me. I love that part of the show. Characters are mostly pretty interesting, gundam designs are super fun and I really love the animation.

Season 2 to A Wakening are absolute dogshit and absolutely ruin the 00 universe to me. They at least have decent animation and designs I love, so I guess there's that.

Of course I don't count Turn A. Just like you I regard Turn A as the best of the entire series. There's only 1 contender for 00 this century and it's Seed. It was a very good show though 00 still edges it. Season 2 of both shows were inferior, but Seed Destiny was just terrible. I don't wanna hear about the 00 movie :(

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So with all the Destiny threads in Gaming the past few months it brainwashed me into watching SEED Destiny again.

Man is Shinn even worse than I remembered. Has to be the most insubordinate Gundam "protagonist" ever. Dude like this would never cut it in any military organization.

So with all the Destiny threads in Gaming the past few months it brainwashed me into watching SEED Destiny again.

Man is Shinn even worse than I remembered. Has to be the most insubordinate Gundam "protagonist" ever. Dude like this would never cut it in any military organization.

Would you rather have Jesus Yamato as your main character?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Would you rather have Jesus Yamato as your main character?

Shinn isn't even the main character of the 60% of the show focused on the Minerva. It's Athrun.

EDIT: I just got to the part where the Captain even admits Shinn should be executed for being so damn insubordinate!

Shinn isn't even the main character of the 60% of the show focused on the Minerva. It's Athrun.

EDIT: I just got to the part where the Captain even admits Shinn should be executed for being so damn insubordinate!

Athrun always struck me as the "Quattro" in SEED Destiny and he did a terrible job at fulfilling that role. If he was supposed to be the protag, he's worse than Shinn because Athrun should know better.

TransTrender

Gold Member
When I was in China two years ago and just in Japan last week Gundam games and Gundam VS was extremely popular. Did a few rounds against the AI and sometimes randomly against a local person in the arcade I managed to hold my own. Some of these people were quite fierce though and I would never dare to challenge them.

The pod game was really cool but never bothered to try it because you had to make an account and the massive language barrier of menu diving and starting a match.

There was also another cool, slower paced, gundam game that was mostly ground combat with a cool mouse like device that, for all sorts of reasons, should proliferate to many types of games because it's soo practical and allows the level of control that's required by all sorts of games.

I wish these games, and the awesome card, and card MOBA, style games would come out in the West.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Eh I didn't write it but I'm watching it right now and it's clear that Athrun is the main character for most of the series. Not wrong that he should know better though.

Athrun is a smart and sensitive guy...who is always being talked into doing dumb shit in Destiny. Durandal gets him good with that speech in the beginning.

PhiLonius

Destiny could have solved so many of its problems had someone just made an attempt to fix Shinn. There is a lot wrong with that show but I feel like he's the main thing dragging it down.

There is a whole episode devoted to the fact he pretty much suffers little to no consequences for any of the shit he pulls on the show.

It's always amazing how Shinn manages to be worse than Flit when Flit is literally Adolf Hitler in space.

Old Flit >>> Shinn >>> Young Flit

I don't dislike Shinn the way I do Flit though.

It's always amazing how Shinn manages to be worse than Flit when Flit is literally Adolf Hitler in space.

I think any one of Age's protagonists take the cake for being the worst Gundam lead. Flit for reasons stated above, Asemu for being unhealthily obsessed with surpassing his father to the point that it's his defining trait and Kio for trying to be Jesus Yamato 2.0 but somehow has even less ground to stand on.

TransTrender

Gold Member
In case anyone is wondering here's a picture you can get of yourself in the cockpit. For perspective purposes I'm 6'2".

Also, forgive the blurriness because this is one of those '3D' pictures that look neat in person but not so much when captured with a camera phone.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I gotta admit I like this part of Gundam SEED Destiny.

Neo Roanoke on the Archangel, Shinn embracing his heel turn, Lunamaria basically telling Athrun he can also do whatever he wants, Durandal spilling the beans on Logos. Too bad it only stays good like this for about ten episodes.

CorvoSol

The best part of SEED Destiny is still the look on Shinn's face when he realizes
he jizzed his pants over killing Kira and Athrun for nothing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The best part of SEED Destiny is still the look on Shinn's face when he realizes
he jizzed his pants over killing Kira and Athrun for nothing.

Oh absolutely.

EDIT: My second favorite is Heine with his "That's no Zaku, boy" when talking to...Stella. Heine in general is pretty amazing.

yami4ct

00 and SEED better than GBF?

[IG]http://i.imgur.com/Xb1KGPD.gif[/IMG]

Get corrected.

A) GBF doesn't "really" count as a Gundam show.
B)While GBF is good, it's really not much more than a generic shonen with pretty animation and tons of nostalgia hits

G-Self has a core-fighter?! Yes! Ok, Sunrise, I'm super sold. Let's do this. Also, Bandai please give me a MG of this suit ASAP.

Acid08

Banned
A) GBF doesn't "really" count as a Gundam show.
B)While GBF is good, it's really not much more than a generic shonen with pretty animation and tons of nostalgia hits

G-Self has a core-fighter?! Yes! Ok, Sunrise, I'm super sold. Let's do this. Also, Bandai please give me a MG of this suit ASAP.
How is GBF not "really" a Gundam show?

It might not have warring factions, colonies, politics or angst ridden teens pondering the ramifications of war, but GBF is all about the love of Gundam.

It counts.

Beth Cyra

Eh, G Gundam is fantastic. GBF is OK at best story wise. If not for the animation, I'd certainly rank 00 and SEED above it.
I think OO is trash, but I have no issue saying I think that SEED easily passes Build Fighters in almost every area from characters to story and music.

The only thing it doesn't have is animation and suit design because Build has stuff like Wing F, Maoh, and Kampfer Amazing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Finished SEED Destiny and then watched Final Plus, well, the stuff they changed in Final Plus at least. I kinda like that they knew the ending was garbage so had a mulligan ending...which still didn't fix much. At least Shinn got "fixed" by being whooped by Athrun.

This show has problems but its at least enjoyable, which I can't really say about 00 Season 2 or AGE, neither of which I can stomach to ever watch to completion.

Dead

well not really...yet
Finished SEED Destiny and then watched Final Plus, well, the stuff they changed in Final Plus at least. I kinda like that they knew the ending was garbage so had a mulligan ending...which still didn't fix much. At least Shinn got "fixed" by being whooped by Athrun.

This show has problems but its at least enjoyable, which I can't really say about 00 Season 2 or AGE, neither of which I can stomach to ever watch to completion.
Destiny tv ending is amazing if only for the hilarious "FLAWLESS VICTORY" final pose that all the hero Gundams do, looking all perfect shiny and without a single fucking scratch on them while Shinn Asuka is stranded on the moon crying like a bitch

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Destiny tv ending is amazing if only for the hilarious "FLAWLESS VICTORY" final pose that all the hero Gundams do, looking all perfect shiny and without a single fucking scratch on them while Shinn Asuka is stranded on the moon crying like a bitch

I did chuckle heartily at that. Also when Rey starts speechifying and Kira rips him apart in about a minute, getting absolutely no offense in. Shinn also gets bodied; Lunamaria put up a better fight.

That's more than I can say about this show. I don't think I could rewatch all of Destiny again.

RangerBAD

I did chuckle heartily at that. Also when Rey starts speechifying and Kira rips him apart in about a minute, getting absolutely no offense in. Shinn also gets bodied; Lunamaria put up a better fight.

Rey... what a total shit. You might feel sorry for him if he wasn't a total shit.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Sorry for the image bomb.

Hopefully you guys still remember this guys I posted from July:

I finally finish painting him!

First time fully painted a non sd kit. Basically a test kits for different kinds of paints, for me to try out different combination of paints and primer.

Krylon primer on dark frames.
Tamiya Primer on outer armor.
Tamiya lacquer spray on majority of upper white armor parts
Vallejo paints of other colors
Liquid metal on gold/silver
Vallejo metal paints on metallic parts
Testor for panel lining
Most inner frames are hand painted
light grays/white are spray cans
The rests are painted with airbrush

I still suck at panel wash, as you can see there are still some dirts left on the kits I couldn't clean without hurting the paints. So I just left it on there as weathering.

I think I failed painting it twice, ending up cleaning all the paints with toothbrush and primer.

There are scratching on the corners, especially near the moving part, you can't see it on the photo, but they are about the size of 1-2 dead pixel. I don't know how those scratch happens, I couldn't even scratch those paints out with my nails when I testing those paints.

I think by now I memorized every single parts in the kits, you can show me any parts and I can instantly tell you where it belong.

I think I going to take a short break, I am quite burn out after working nearly every days on one single kit.

Overall I am really happy with the paint job, my only regret is being too cheap to get those waterslide, those stickers suck, I hate stickers.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I like Rey a lot for most of the show. Quiet, unassuming, but he's the one secretly behind Shinn's ascent into total dickhole. Then he goes and messes everything up in the final episodes, culminating in him

shooting the only person he liked for the dumbest possible reason. He believed in Durandal's future even when most people thought it was crazy. Kira says about three things and he's like yep, I want that future instead. And then he stays and dies with them! Fucking Rey.

TransTrender

Gold Member

Hopefully you guys still remember this guys I posted from July:

I finally finish painting him!

First time fully painted a non sd kit. Basically a test kits for different kinds of paints, for me to try out different combination of paints and primer.

Krylon primer on dark frames.
Tamiya Primer on outer armor.
Tamiya lacquer spray on majority of upper white armor parts
Vallejo paints of other colors
Liquid metal on gold/silver
Vallejo metal paints on metallic parts
Testor for panel lining
Most inner frames are hand painted
light grays/white are spray cans
The rests are painted with airbrush

I still suck at panel wash, as you can see there are still some dirts left on the kits I couldn't clean without hurting the paints. So I just left it on there as weathering.

I think I failed painting it twice, ending up cleaning all the paints with toothbrush and primer.

There are scratching on the corners, especially near the moving part, you can't see it on the photo, but they are about the size of 1-2 dead pixel. I don't know how those scratch happens, I couldn't even scratch those paints out with my nails when I testing those paints.

I think by now I memorized every single parts in the kits, you can show me any parts and I can instantly tell you where it belong.

I think I going to take a short break, I am quite burn out after working nearly every days on one single kit.

Overall I am really happy with the paint job, my only regret is being too cheap to get those waterslide, those stickers suck, I hate stickers.

Damn, that looks great!

So, did you assemble it, then disassemble it and paint it?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Meer might be the only person on the show worth feeling bad about.

Captain Gladys is up there until she also turns dumb in the final 5 minutes.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Victory Gundam 42

So now that I'm done laughing my ass off that the Zanscare's ultimate weapon is a gigantic wheel, I just want to kind of smirk at the fact that this episode has Uso reminiscing about the time pedophile Lupe Cineau tried to rape him in the bathtub after he has
somehow killed her by shoving a beam saber into her cockpit but leaving enough of her that she can fly back and blow up Plush Pippin Pies, too.

tensuke

Looks great! I love how the blue pops. I wish I went for the waterslides too, the stickers are the only thing I'd have done differently with mine. Still though, the 3.0 is such a good damn kit. I almost like it better than the Phenex...almost.

I finally went and brought my gunpla backlog to school so I might actually find the time to finish them, lol. I also have been planning a custom Banshee, but I'm starting to wish I went for an MG build instead since I have so little room to work with here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom