• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I think another big part of it is that Harmony Gold claims to have the exclusive rights to all mecha properties in the West. Especially if it's some of the legacy looking stuff like BattleTech/Mechwarrior, Macross/Robotech, and Gundam. Everyone basically has to deal with these assholes. If I ever become that rich or if I win the lottery I will buy that company, then shut it down, and let the owners of mecha IP do as they wish.

Soo pissed I never got to play any of the Another Century Episode games.

RangerBAD

I think another big part of it is that Harmony Gold claims to have the exclusive rights to all mecha properties in the West. Especially if it's some of the legacy looking stuff like BattleTech/Mechwarrior, Macross/Robotech, and Gundam. Everyone basically has to deal with these assholes. If I ever become that rich or if I win the lottery I will buy that company, then shut it down, and let the owners of mecha IP do as they wish.

It's more amazing that they're still around.

Acid08

Banned
00 S2 already off to a hilariously stupid start

Louise is a pilot
Fucking twin brother out of nowhere
Graham with a Char mask cuz reasons
Gundam face on the back of Tiera's suit

...What does Harmony Gold have to do with Gundam? I don't recall ever seeing HG having an issue with Gundam stateside.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Gundam X 9

I know that Eureka Seven basically stole this subplot from this show, but E7 still kinda did it better. Shit, I kinda feel like Renton wore Garrod's jacket better, at that.

I kind of don't like any of the characters except Witz, Garrod, and NotAmuroRayWithPTSD. The Frost Brothers sort of reek of the incestuous twin archetype, Tiffa is a beagle, most of the Frieden's crew kinda irritate me, and Enil is kind of ugly to be playing the sexy bandit lady role. And things continue to not happen.

That said, I'm still sticking with it, because oftentimes shows need a good long while to come into their own. If I'd dropped say, ZZ Gundam 9 episodes in I wouldn't have gotten to love it the way I do, so I will give the show its time to grow into itself.

TransTrender

Gold Member
...What does Harmony Gold have to do with Gundam? I don't recall ever seeing HG having an issue with Gundam stateside.
Exclusive rights to distribute Robotech in the West back in the day, their lawyers expanded this to cover all mecha looking media, and then Gundam was caught in the net. Maybe things are a bit more normalized but with Gundam but it sure as hell doesn't feel that way.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The only issue with Gundam and the US is that everyone that's approached them since the end of Bandai of America has said that they just want too much money for the license to ever make it profitable in the US.

It's not like we haven't had Gundam games at all in the past. We got the PS2 Versus games and most (all?) of the Gundam Dynasty Warrior games.

Exclusive rights to distribute Robotech in the West back in the day, their lawyers expanded this to cover all mecha looking media, and then Gundam was caught in the net. Maybe things are a bit more normalized but with Gundam but it sure as hell doesn't feel that way.

So basically, Harmony Gold's logic is like this.

shovedownmythroat.png

The only issue with Gundam and the US is that everyone that's approached them since the end of Bandai of America has said that they just want too much money for the license to ever make it profitable in the US.

Do you mind showing me where you got this information? I've seldom heard anything about Gundam getting rescued since Bandai closed it's doors.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I know its hilariously cliche these days when it comes to "saving" a TV show but Netflix is one of the few groups I could see getting the western rights to Gundam. Deep pockets, not afraid to make giant sweeping deals for more content.

PhiLonius

It's covered in the second answer of an old Anime News Network column.

Coincidentally, the first answer is all about Harmony Gold holding up Macross properties.

Stuff like that is infuriating.

I know its hilariously cliche these days when it comes to "saving" a TV show but Netflix is one of the few groups I could see getting the western rights to Gundam. Deep pockets, not afraid to make giant sweeping deals for more content.

They have all the capabilities. I would love to see it happen in a way that could get more people into it.

Harmony Gold has nothing to do with Gundam. Also remember that HG is a real estate company.

Basically, Gundam is Bandai's golden child property. It's huge in Japan and they expect it to be as huge in North America... but it's not. They had a huge issue with this reality (leading to Bandai Ent shutting down) but still can't accept this as truth, and are pretty much unwilling to give anyone the license for a "fair/realistic/in line with Western interests" price, so they just sit on it and don't care.

Another thing to take note of is the general lack of interest in mecha titles with the modern Western anime fan base. We're a dying breed.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Another thing to take note of is the general lack of interest in mecha titles with the modern Western anime fan base. We're a dying breed.
Now is this just a thing in the West or in general? I ask because even in Japan it seems like the jailbait cute boy and cute girl stuff is wildly popular when you consider the volume of those shows with the comparatively low volume of mecha shows. Sure some mecha shows are popular but I would think the sheer volume of the other genre would generate more revenue.

Now is this just a thing in the West or in general? I ask because even in Japan it seems like the jailbait cute boy and cute girl stuff is wildly popular when you consider the volume of those shows with the comparatively low volume of mecha shows. Sure some mecha shows are popular but I would think the sheer volume of the other genre would generate more revenue.

Definitely, but there is still a sizable fanbase that is interested in mecha titles over there, and Gundam makes Bandai a ton of money. Not even remotely close to what it's like in the West.

Acid08

Banned
How long did the Gundam Wing boom last in the West? I definitely remember that show and G being on TV but there was nothing after.

How long did the Gundam Wing boom last in the West? I definitely remember that show and G being on TV but there was nothing after.

0079 was on TV, but the dated animation alienated a lot of people who wanted more Wing. 0080 and 0083 were on Adult Swim. SEED was on Cartoon Network late at night, but didnt do well. 00 aired on SyFy. That's it. We saw a ton of PS2 games get released, too. Not all, but probably 75% of what was released in Japan.

Basically, Wing was the apex in the US and it went downhill with the mainstream after that.

Acid08

Banned
Yup, I remember Wing kits being available in stores like Toys R Us. Only time I can remember anything like that happening. Build Fighters seems like it should've been a prime target for a dub and CN airing.

In other news, 00 S2 is fucking boring. I was expecting some entertaining nonsense but instead I'm just falling the hell asleep.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
If even Jesus-Yamato can't save gundam in US, there are nothing bandai can do.

I remember Bandai did a pretty heavy marketing campaign on gunpla, something about a bunch of kids saying they are "master grade pilot". May be that didn't went too well for them.

Beth Cyra

0079 was on TV, but the dated animation alienated a lot of people who wanted more Wing. 0080 and 0083 were on Adult Swim. SEED was on Cartoon Network late at night, but didnt do well. 00 aired on SyFy. That's it. We saw a ton of PS2 games get released, too. Not all, but probably 75% of what was released in Japan.

Basically, Wing was the apex in the US and it went downhill with the mainstream after that.
G and SEED didn't do bad, but the USA wanted.more Wing.

Endless Waltz is still one of the best performing things Catoon Network ever had. Bandai could have had something that was massive in North America and it could have continued like Dragon Ball Z and Sailor Moon have if they'd been willing to create a true follow up to Wing.

They didn't though, NA would accept what Japan liked or they wouldn't get it anything and NA now has nothing.

However it's stl very possible that if Bandai did animate something from Wing they could get a lot of people back. Last year when they showed Wing again it did very well and the big names from that period have held very well despite anime largely falling.out.

If Frozen Teardrop or anything Wing ever happens they will most assuredly do it with the I tent of pushing it in NA.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I remember a while ago there was a guy that want to build a slimmer MG Gundam ZZ, but don't want to die with brain damage from resin dust.

Good news!

BTF is making a thin ZZ, with so many panel lines coming Nov 2014.

CorvoSol

I remember a while ago there was a guy that want to build a slimmer MG Gundam ZZ, but don't want to die with brain damage from resin dust.

Good news!

Is it a model or just a figure? I mean it looks exactly like the ones I've been looking at, so my interest is piqued, but I gotta know. You have a link I can go to?

The original was a supposedly pretty meh game.

I really enjoyed the first one. It was a fun game to mess around with making your own custom Gundam. It felt kinda like Lego Gundam and I was down for that.

Beth Cyra

Good news!

I got to be honest this is a ducking awful ZZ.

I'm all for a slightly slimmer build, but that thing lacks the power that ZZ is suppose to have in my eyes.

CorvoSol

I got to be honest this is a ducking awful ZZ.

I'm all for a slightly slimmer build, but that thing lacks the power that ZZ is suppose to have in my eyes.

I really like it. Looks cool. I mean, I like the regular ZZ design, but this one reduces the sort of oversized backpack, which is a big deal in my eyes.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Is it a model or just a figure? I mean it looks exactly like the ones I've been looking at, so my interest is piqued, but I gotta know. You have a link I can go to?

I found it on gundam central, they don't even have a page for it yet, just a banner telling us to look for update November. Did few search on the company, it seems the only thing they made were weapon kits like this one:

They never made a full kit before, may be it could be a skin?

CorvoSol

Hmm. I've got a number of hits for BTF ZZ Slim. This one has a different price listed than the one on Gundam-Central. Assuming I converted the yen to dolla bills right.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Gundam central price already included shipping cost to the US, and they are pretty reliable. I ordered my Qubeley and they willing to replace some parts that's missing.

Acid08

Banned
00 S2

ibtXxzH107FHOx.gif

What trash. Had all of the problems the first season had and amplified them. None of the characters or their motivations matter at all. Worst of all it was just so fucking boring. That ties into the characters too, everything they do just feels meaningless. The whole season felt like a gigantic waste of time.

btw, Kira Yamato wishes he could be even a fucking 10th the Jesus that Setsuna is.

Awakening of the Trailblazer

So....I think I'll lose some of you here. I wouldn't say I legitimately liked this movie, but it was actually what I was looking for after the first season. It was complete nonsense, not a single fucking thing made sense. GODDAMN did I spend the entire thing laughing my ass off and enjoying the visuals though. As a movie, it's straight up garbage. The alien plot is so dumb, they show up out of fucking nowhere for a reason that is explained with one sentence near the very end. There's another TROO INNOVATOR because...uh...yeah...like...........................whatever. Then he dies because reasons and plot and, again, whatever. Giant yarn ball final boss was amazing, made no sense. Giant flower space shit fucking thing also amazing, made ZERO sense. Flowery Gundam and Silver Setsuna made me bust out laughing.

You know what was truly the greatest thing though? Louise and Saji were barely in it. I LOVED that about this movie. Bravo creators, YOU FUCKING NAILED IT. Make no mistake everyone, I will never watch this again. This wasn't something I truly think has tons of merit as a film but as a conclusion to the tire fire that was the 00 TV series I think it was kind of amazing.

Awakening of the Trailblazer

So....I think I'll lose some of you here. I wouldn't say I legitimately liked this movie, but it was actually what I was looking for after the first season. It was complete nonsense, not a single fucking thing made sense. GODDAMN did I spend the entire thing laughing my ass off and enjoying the visuals though. As a movie, it's straight up garbage. The alien plot is so dumb, they show up out of fucking nowhere for a reason that is explained with one sentence near the very end. There's another TROO INNOVATOR because...uh...yeah...like...........................whatever. Then he dies because reasons and plot and, again, whatever. Giant yarn ball final boss was amazing, made no sense. Giant flower space shit fucking thing also amazing, made ZERO sense. Flowery Gundam and Silver Setsuna made me bust out laughing.

You know what was truly the greatest thing though? Louise and Saji were barely in it. I LOVED that about this movie. Bravo creators, YOU FUCKING NAILED IT. Make no mistake everyone, I will never watch this again. This wasn't something I truly think has tons of merit as a film but as a conclusion to the tire fire that was the 00 TV series I think it was kind of amazing.

The best thing to come out of the movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcEY2EcQeZY

rrvv

HGBF 1/144 Gundam Ez-SR
HGBC 1/144 Gundam Ez-ARMS
HGBF 1/144 R-GyaGya
HGBF 1/144 Bearguy F (Family)

Gundam Ez-SR and Ez-ARM is interchangeable. just different equipment really

R-Gyagya, a custom R-Jarja owned by Kaoruko Sazaki.

Bearguy F is Bearguy with Baby Bearguy backpack on the back

Beth Cyra

RG Wing Zero Custom.
Just looks alone this RG even in Proto Type form shits all over both the MG and PG as far as detail and looks.

Really excited for possible rerelease.

WING Gundam Ew (really hope not but certainly possible)
Pearl Gloss (all Zero EW's get this for some reason)
WING Zero Mars Century version
GUNDAM Lucifer (the one I want the most of the three variants.)

Wubby

Ahh well, I was hoping the next RG would be a Guntank. Figured Wing would have to come to RG at some point... Hope we can get some HGAC wing kits that aren't Wing finally... I'm looking at you Epyon, Tallgeese and Heavy Arms.

I'm liking this GyaGya too! Maybe just my imagination but I think I see some Bawoo in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom