• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beth Cyra

Ahh well, I was hoping the next RG would be a Guntank. Figured Wing would have to come to RG at some point... Hope we can get some HGAC wing kits that aren't Wing finally... I'm looking at you Epyon, Tallgeese and Heavy Arms.
Given the RG line skips around from popular suit to popular suit we knew Zero would be soon.

I am however surprised it's a December release instead of the early year RG and that it came before OO Raiser.

Moonlight

Banned
Yo, first time posting in this thread. Not sure what to say besides, ah, introduce my familiarity, I guess. I grew up with Wing, and I have a couple fond memories of it, but frankly I don't remember much except for Gundam Heavyarms blowing stuff up. I enjoyed SEED a lot (to the extent I bought the Astray spin-off manga), but it's been a long time since I've seen it, so I don't know if it still holds up. Saw 00 a couple years ago too, and I really liked it until I saw S2 and it retroactively made me realize 00 was kinda awful. Haven't paid that much attention to the series since, but a friend of mine got really into it, so I've sorta taken it as my excuse to jump back in. More recently, I saw Gundam Build Fighters and I'm pretty sure it's literally the best Gundam series that I've ever seen, but I'm also aware that it's not that representative of the whole franchise. I also saw War in the Pocket and thought that was pretty great, too.

All of this is basically to ask if there's anything else from the series that's particularly recommendable. I'm a bit tempted to catch Unicorn or something, since I've heard that it's absolutely gorgeous from an action/sakuga perspective but I've heard, uh, mixed things about the story.

Also know that AGE is supposed to be terrible, but I'm kinda tempted to watch it all the same. Is it, like, enjoyably terrible like Destiny was or just actually terrible like 00 S2 was?

Funnels are the coolest Gundam gimmick, BTW.

Acid08

Banned
Yo, first time posting in this thread. Not sure what to say besides, ah, introduce my familiarity, I guess. I grew up with Wing, and I have a couple fond memories of it, but frankly I don't remember much except for Gundam Heavyarms blowing stuff up. I enjoyed SEED a lot (to the extent I bought the Astray spin-off manga), but it's been a long time since I've seen it, so I don't know if it still holds up. Saw 00 a couple years ago too, and I really liked it until I saw S2 and it retroactively made me realize 00 was kinda awful. Haven't paid that much attention to the series since, but a friend of mine got really into it, so I've sorta taken it as my excuse to jump back in. More recently, I saw Gundam Build Fighters and I'm pretty sure it's literally the best Gundam series that I've ever seen, but I'm also aware that it's not that representative of the whole franchise. I also saw War in the Pocket and thought that was pretty great, too.

All of this is basically to ask if there's anything else from the series that's particularly recommendable. I'm a bit tempted to catch Unicorn or something, since I've heard that it's absolutely gorgeous from an action/sakuga perspective but I've heard, uh, mixed things about the story.

Also know that AGE is supposed to be terrible, but I'm kinda tempted to watch it all the same. Is it, like, enjoyably terrible like Destiny was or just actually terrible like 00 S2 was?

G Gundam. Watch it now.

PhiLonius

Welcome.

Watch Unicorn. It's awesome. Also check out Turn A, G, and the first few original series (0079, Zeta, ZZ).

Stay away from AGE.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Is it just me, or do the proportions look a bit off? Like the arms are too big?

Also, looks like they found a way to open the shoulder guns without popping off the head this time.

Does anyone know what the diagram on the middle/bottom left is? Looks like attachments to the buster rifle?

Welcome.

I'd recommend watching G Gundam and perhaps rewatching Wing and SEED when you get the chance. Don't even bother with Age...ever. it's 00 S2 but even worse.

Beth Cyra

Is it just me, or do the proportions look a bit off? Like the arms are too big?

Also, looks like they found a way to open the shoulder guns without popping off the head this time.

Does anyone know what the diagram on the middle/bottom left is? Looks like attachments to the buster rifle?
It's not just you, the chest as a whole has been increased.

The Shoulder vulcans can now open easily and it appears they've beefed up the shoulder plates and arms to go with the chest.

It's actually a lot easier to see if you zoom in on the colored line art, the chest is massive compared to the original design.

NEO0MJ

I feel so strange sometimes for how much I dislike the Wing series, especially Zero Custom.

You should watch the original Mobile Suilt Gundam first. Series or compiled movies will do, tough I prefer the movies. Then watch Zeta, ZZ, and finally Unicorn.
G Gundam is also a great show, though it's really different from the usual Gundam show and drops the Real (kinda) Robot theme for a Super Robot theme.
The final show I'd recomend is Turn A, probably my favorite Gundam show.

And the best gimmick is super thrusters and extra arms, everyone knows that.

Moonlight

Banned
Right, thanks. Looks like G Gundam goes to the top of my watch-list. Not sure where to sort everything else in terms of priority, but I suppose Turn A would be next after that. I feel a little obligated to check out MSG sooner or later, but the dated animation puts me off even though it's not really something you can hold against it.

And the best gimmick is super thrusters and extra arms, everyone knows that.
Can we at least agree the worst gimmick is Glowing Super Joints of Ultimate Power.

manfestival

A part of me goes to these threads just to remember how many hours I slaved away making gundam models in my teens. I kinda miss it. I had a special collection of SD gundam models too. I freakin loved those little things.

Puflwiz

Banned
I'm someone still rather new to the whole Gunpla scene, so I have a question. What exactly is the difference between Regular and Ver. Ka? The materials? Quality of the plastic? I can't tell the difference between my MG Unicorn and my MG Unicorn Full Armor Ver. Ka, besides the add-ons.

mingus

I'm someone still rather new to the whole Gunpla scene, so I have a question. What exactly is the difference between Regular and Ver. Ka? The materials? Quality of the plastic? I can't tell the difference between my MG Unicorn and my MG Unicorn Full Armor Ver. Ka, besides the add-ons.

ver. ka means it got redesigned by this guy, i.e. angles everywhere and plastered in decals

the reason why the unicorns don't look that different is b/c the original design was already done by him

Puflwiz

Banned

Yeah Gundam Build Fighters is a really amazing series, can't wait for Try
I would recommend
  • Gundam Unicorn (A personal favorite)
  • 08th MS Team
  • Char's Counterattack
  • And as Acid08 already said. G Gundam
I would say that Unicorn, and Char's Counterattack require knowledge of the events of the original series. Gundam: The Origin, is a good read if you want to bush up on that. Though the first episode of the OVA should be out sometime next year

Gundam Sousei 1

9lGVo78.png

Badass Tomino

I can already tell I am gonna have a good time with this one.

Such ridiculous take on the Bright Slap

Beth Cyra

So it's purely aesthetic? Because from what I can tell from that post, the OVA version of Unicorn is the better of the two quality wise.
Ver Ka's tend to have be some if not the very highest quality modles at their time of release.

Unicorn Gundam is pretty much identical except for a very slight mode to leg armor to give it a minor and I do mean minor articulation boost. Beyond that it has head Vulcan that Unicorn didn't have in the light novel or original design.

Gundam Sousei 12-24 END

BplNpxA.jpg

Tomino showing his swag

That ending lol. The author had to put Newtype magic somehow.

Loved it for showing how each people had their contribution to Gundam in an exaggerated way. I wonder if some of the stories are true such as Itano gruesome death scene he drew or the pink nipple incident.

In the end, it was a really fun and funny history lesson.

tensuke

RG Wing Zero Custom is the sex. I can't wait to compare it to the 98 HG version with its floppy arms, haha. The gun barrels with the opening cover looks so good. Really hope they do a Wing EW version too.

Also, just finished book V of Origin. Man, the way Char gets his name is...kinda dark. Looking forward to starting VI!

muteki

Ahh well, I was hoping the next RG would be a Guntank. Figured Wing would have to come to RG at some point... Hope we can get some HGAC wing kits that aren't Wing finally... I'm looking at you Epyon, Tallgeese and Heavy Arms.
Ugh. This suit never translates well to plastic.

Wubby

February issue of the Gundam Ace comic is going to have some addon parts for the RG wing rifle. I'll have to pick up at least two.

Wubby

Well this will be the first ever Gundam ACE I buy. Now I just need to decide if I need one or two.

I bought my first issue earlier this year when it came with parts for the Mercury Rev. I've continued to buy it just to read the latest part of the GBF manga.

Beth Cyra

Seriously?! I could understand doing this with the Tallgeese II because it's not that popular and hardly looks different from Tallgeese I but Tallgeese III is really popular and looks pretty different.

While I thankfully don't care much for the III this news will probably bother a lot of importers.
It really sucks for me as I love TG III, actually the only TG I don't like is the I lol.

However after Banshee Norn was P Bandai anyone who is a fan of alternates/similar suits should be worried about full releases.

It's why I already fully believe a Wing EW RG only has a shot as P Bandai

CorvoSol

Seriously?! I could understand doing this with the Tallgeese II because it's not that popular and hardly looks different from Tallgeese I but Tallgeese III is really popular and looks pretty different.

While I thankfully don't care much for the III this news will probably bother a lot of importers.

Sad day for me. TG III is one of my all time faves.

Beth Cyra

I'm the opposite. I love the original Tallgeese, while III is pretty meh to me. It just looks so efficient and simple compared to III.

I think that's fair.

My favorite is actually TG II, the new head, the color scheme and the pilot are all just out of this world.

CorvoSol

I'm the opposite. I love the original Tallgeese, while III is pretty meh to me. It just looks so efficient and simple compared to III.

I love the TG III in part cuz its so over the top, I guess. The elaborate crest, the Epyon whip, the oversized, extendable cannon.

But I kinda can't be impartial in my judgment of Wing suits because that bias goes back to my formative years, haha.

Acid08

Banned
Got the back piece glued together so the MG F91 is done!

Really cool kit, tons of little gimmicks. Side skirts open up for beam saber and bomb storage, back flaps open, shoulder parts have the wedge things inside, VBSRs are swing out front and fold out. Panel lining was a must here, the thick lines on the legs really make them pop. MG kits really are a nice step up over HG.

Lafressia stand is such a cool addition. I painted the ends of the arms sparkly green, they came molded in grey. Eventually I want to paint the rest of the stand, it looks pretty plain as is.

Speaking of Tallgeese, I'm not going to lie and say Tallgeese Flugel from the EW manga is pretty sick. It was already pretty tight with the heat lance and halberd as optional equipment as well.

NEO0MJ

Speaking of Tallgeese, I'm not going to lie and say Tallgeese Flugel from the EW manga is pretty sick. It was already pretty tight with the heat lance and halberd as optional equipment as well.

Fuck angel wings, one of the worst things to ever stick to a mobile suit. why'd they have to corrupt the beautiful Tallgeese with those foul things ;-;
And who had the bright idea of replacing the crest with a rooster comb?!

Ezalc

Fuck angel wings, one of the worst things to ever stick to a mobile suit. why'd they have to corrupt the beautiful Tallgeese with those foul things ;-;
And who had the bright idea of replacing the crest with a rooster comb?!

I agree, that's why I find the Wing Gundam godawful.

CorvoSol

I think they're okay on the Wing Zero Custom, but they sound sorta off for the TallGeese. Even the TGIII, which was over the top, was fairly grounded compared to the other EW suit designs (excluding the Serpentarius). Its always been an Elite Mook and putting Wings on it I dunno.

But I'm cool with the WZC.

Beth Cyra

I think they're okay on the Wing Zero Custom, but they sound sorta off for the TallGeese. Even the TGIII, which was over the top, was fairly grounded compared to the other EW suit designs (excluding the Serpentarius). Its always been an Elite Mook and putting Wings on it I dunno.

But I'm cool with the WZC.

Well the Tallgeese that has them has a lot modified on it. It has the additional weapons as donkey show mentioned as well as a new head symbol which is much, much more over the top.

Though it does seem crazy that OZ created it given how grounded their suit design is outside of Epyon.

Andrew J.

ZZ Gundam 04

I like that there's a character who takes the law of war seriously, even on the antagonists' side. I don't like that he's a total moron, though.

Someone once said that in Zeta Kamille instantly fell in love with every woman he ever met. That was an exaggeration, but with Mashymre it might be literally true.

CorvoSol

ZZ Gundam 04

I like that there's a character who takes the law of war seriously, even on the antagonists' side. I don't like that he's a total moron, though.

Someone once said that in Zeta Kamille instantly fell in love with every woman he ever met. That was an exaggeration, but with Mashymre it might be literally true.

Ho jeez. Sure are a lotta folks watching ZZ these days, haha. This puts the count up to like, 5 in the last month.

I really wish they would have a true Anti-Hero as a lead in a Gundam. Heero had so much potential and then they flushed it all away.

They also tried that approach with Setsuna F. Seiei from 00. It worked all right in the first season, but then they just had to screw it up and fail miserably in the second season. >_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom