• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEO0MJ

That PG Unicorn has the potential to be an amazing kit.

Lean thy lesson now child.

Wait til you see one of their Armored Core kits.... that's some nightmare material. 500+ parts, all gray parts,... the horror...

I actually built lots of Kotobukiya kits (though I never painted kits before, this is a first), but this one has a real strange construction. Painting and cementing some parts of it is going to be complex, especially the hollow parts on the inside.

HOLY SHIT

RGs OF ALL EW GUNDAMS MORE OR LESS CONFIRMED????

I was hoping for MG Heavy arms :(

Bombless

Maybe he thought this was the Full Boost thread.

also - i'll just leave this here

27.jpg

Sadly she's 1/10 :(

Same.

Given they are most certainly planning at least a Banshee follow up, that design better be really good given to be wroth it for multiple builds.

Holy shit.

They've also teased Real Grades

Heavyarms Kai EW
Deathscythe Hell EW
Sandrock Kai EW
and Altron EW.

EW are inferior to the show versions. Boo!

Andrew J.

ZZ Gundam 05

One of the best pieces of advice Film Crit Hulk ever gave was to avoid belaboring the refusal of the call. While an episode isn't a tremendous amount of time in the context of a yearlong series, going to school to avoid becoming a trainee giant robot pilot is basically the opposite of how most of the target demographic would react to the situation.

Acid08

Banned
ZZ Gundam 05

One of the best pieces of advice Film Crit Hulk ever gave was to avoid belaboring the refusal of the call. While an episode isn't a tremendous amount of time in the context of a yearlong series, going to school to avoid becoming a trainee giant robot pilot is basically the opposite of how most of the target demographic would react to the situation.
ZZ has quite a few "different from the Gundam norm" moments. And it's only more glorious for it.

CorvoSol

ZZ Gundam 05

Technically, Judau takes less time to accept the call than Amuro and Kamille. Or rather, he makes less of a fuss about it.

yami4ct

Just got the MG Tallgeese EW, my weekend is set. Almost walked away with MG Phenex, because it was so damn shiny. XD

One of so many kits I want, but have to put off because of cashflow issues. Going to be even worse with PG Unicorn coming. I probably prefer Tallgeese III overall (Rail guns rock! Also love the heat whip), but I is a close second. Tallgeese II is the only Tallgeese I really don't like. Those colors just don't work with that design.

CorvoSol

I finished Victory Gundam at long last, Gundam GAF.

I really wasn't a fan. The music was great, the V2 is the one not awful design, and Uso and Marbet are okay by me, but the rest of it I was not a fan of at all.

yami4ct

Think I've found a way to afford a PG Unicorn Gundam and clear up enough shelf space to display it. Now Bandai just needs to show the damn thing so I can make sure it's worth it.

PhiLonius

I finished Victory Gundam at long last, Gundam GAF.

I really wasn't a fan. The music was great, the V2 is the one not awful design, and Uso and Marbet are okay by me, but the rest of it I was not a fan of at all.

Congrats. At least it's out of the way now.

tumblr_ncde0pTh1g1s968nfo3_500.png

Best Char clone? Best Char clone.

He manages to somehow pull off purple and gold star pajamas, with the shades still on, so yes...Best Char Clone.

PhiLonius

All I have left of the animations are IGLOO and Gunpla G Builders or whatever preceded Build Fighters. And of course I'm still working my way through X.

IGLOO, SD, Evolve, and G Builders are the only things I haven't watched yet.

Still need to get around to reading Crossbone as well.

Rewatching G now.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Fuuuuck I want that PG Unicorn soooo badly, but I just know they'll release a Banshee version like half a year later. Goddamn Bandai

Ken

Fuuuuck I want that PG Unicorn soooo badly, but I just know they'll release a Banshee version like half a year later. Goddamn Bandai

Banshee isn't that popular is it?

Even if they did a PG Banshee it probably won't be of superior Norn. :(

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Banshee isn't that popular is it?

Even if they did a PG Banshee it probably won't be of superior Norn. :(

Give how easy it would be to recolour the Unicorn moulds into Banshee colours, I'm pretty sure it's a given they'll do it.

I mean, no one wanted a PG Strike Rouge but we got one anyways

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think my favorite Gundam trope of all time has got to be how little most characters care about the well being of their old suits when they know a new hotness is on the way. Pilots who previously almost never got hit will lose basically every detachable part on their suit when transferring over to their new one and it happens at least once on every other Gundam show.

Ken

I think my favorite Gundam trope of all time has got to be how little most characters care about the well being of their old suits when they know a new hotness is on the way. Pilots who previously almost never got hit will lose basically every detachable part on their suit when transferring over to their new one and it happens at least once on every other Gundam show.

How does Riddhe even get promoted from a ReZEL to a Delta Plus after his performance lol.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, I finished Zeta a few months back, and really didn't like it that much. I just found the cast overall to be really unlikable. Is Double Zeta a decent departure of tone, or at least better? I enjoyed all the other Gundam series I watched in the last few months (Original, Turn-A, 8th MS Team, Build Fighter), and was a big fan G Gundam when it aired in the US.

yami4ct

So, I finished Zeta a few months back, and really didn't like it that much. I just found the cast overall to be really unlikable. Is Double Zeta a decent departure of tone, or at least better? I enjoyed all the other Gundam series I watched in the last few months (Original, Turn-A, 8th MS Team, Build Fighter), and was a big fan G Gundam when it aired in the US.

It's a huge tonal departure. Much more of a comedy series than traditional gundam. Whether it's good or not depends on who you ask. Corvo here's a huge ZZ fan. I'm firmly in the "it's one of the worst things to exist in UC" camp.

Acid08

Banned
It's both better and a tonal departure(for some of the series).

It's a huge tonal departure. Much more of a comedy series than traditional gundam. Whether it's good or not depends on who you ask. Corvo here's a huge ZZ fan. I'm firmly in the "it's one of the worst things to exist in UC" camp.

It really isn't that huge of a tonal departure after the first ~18 episodes.

I consider First to be a masterpiece. Zeta to be quite great. Tomino is the best at making unlikeable characters. ZZ I enjoyed quite good, though I wish it had more world building.

CorvoSol

So I was like you. I found Zeta an enormous disappointment and just way overhyped. So when I went into ZZ and heard all the bad news I had LOW expectations. ZZ turned out to be something I really enjoyed as a result, because I found myself liking it for what it was, rather than the inflated thing that Zeta was supposed to be.

But ZZ is an odd bird. It is simultaneously very different from Zeta and at the same time very similar. You'll still have a teenage cast, some of whom are not going to grow out of their dysfunctional origins for some time. On the other hand, the ZZ team is less angsty about it.

The first half of the show is Tomino kind of goofing around. People lob oranges, the team gets into hijinks, and a lot of people struggle with that, which is okay. The second half of the show is a return to the more serious UC stuff, with women screaming over their husband's graves and kids being made witness and party to war crimes and the like. I kind of like the way this all plays out because the first half sort of gives you some time to catch your breath after Zeta's ending and to like, soften you up for what is to come.

ZZ also doesn't feature many mainstays of the UC series. So no Char or Amuro, for instance. Some people hate this
because they're whiny punks who can't tolerate their favorite yaoi fan pairing not being on screen every second
, but the truth is that without them around, ZZ is free to actually do something different and out of the ordinary for UC. And the number of times UC isn't chained up to Zeta or MSG can be counted on one hand missing a few fingers.

But basically, here is what to expect from ZZ Gundam, in bullet points:
1. First half = goofy, weird. Second half = brutal, "dark" like always.
2. Pretty fucking 80s. Like Goonies in Space.
3. More Newtype hijinks.
4. Protagonist is more hotblooded and less reluctant than his predecessors.
5. Better resolution to Zeta Gundam than Zeta Gundam itself had.
6. Haman Khan gets new threads.
7. Cool new Mechs! Always a plus.

I have no idea if this helps at all, but I'd say give it a shot. If you hate it, no biggie lots of people
who are all horribly wrong
do, if you love it, you've joined a
n elite, valiant
host of people who do.

As a final rule, as with all other Gundam shows, the mantra is always "I really like this in spite of ______"

Reknoc

I respect what ZZ tried to do at the start but didn't actually enjoy it doing it and it introduces a lot of very terrible characters like... a lot... so many...

But Haman is in it so worth watching for that alone

Ken

Lol

Yeah, I use to be TruePrime, but I figured I wanted that expressed me as who I am now (I came out as a Transwoman) and so I requested a name change.

Oh that's who it was. I just recognize people by avatar and for some reason thought there was a name mismatch.

Rymuth

The show was pretty funny and I enjoyed the snippets of humor every Sunday. Glad I could share it with everyone in GundamGAF.
They made an anime out of Gundam San?! My years-long Gundam exile has left me out of the loop, I see. I need to correct my mistake.

I need the lance/halberd option parts for TG EW, but ebay is not producing any results. Kinda interested in the Dragon Momoko TG II just to get those bits...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom