• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Anybody know of a reasonable location that's going to be selling that ZZ? I found exactly 1 place selling it for 45 bucks plus an absurd amount in shipping so that's not happening, but nowhere else seems to be selling it, just talking about its nebulous "october" release. Except Gundam-Central, which for some reason puts the release in November instead.

Want this damn kit but I can't find a single place to buy it.

RELAYER

Banned
Man, I went back and started watching Gundam Wing from episode 1.

I used to come home from school in 5th grade and watch this on Toonami and watched it religiously. I was obsessed with that show.

Watching it now though....
I can't believe how bad it is. It's like poison.

yami4ct

I used to come home from school in 5th grade and watch this on Toonami and watched it religiously. I was obsessed with that show.

I watched Wing fairly recently too (within the last year), and totally agree. It's awful. The characters are unlikable, the story is boring and nothing really makes any sense. Mech designs are awesome, and I really like Endless Waltz for the action, but it's such hot garbage overall. Even stuff I remembered really liking turned out to be bad. Seeing how terrible a Char clone Zechs is made me sad.

Really? I'm watching Wing right now for the first time and I got to say I rather like it. Well at least the parts without Relena and Wu anyway.

I watched Wing fairly recently too (within the last year), and totally agree. It's awful. The characters are unlikable, the story is boring and nothing really makes any sense. Mech designs are awesome, and I really like Endless Waltz for the action, but it's such hot garbage overall. Even stuff I remembered really liking turned out to be bad. Seeing how terrible a Char clone Zechs is made me sad.

Watching it dubbed is even better. xD

And speaking of hot messes, dem G-Reco episodes. Tomino in full effect. G-Self and Grimoire look great doe.

RangerBAD

Well, this is definitely a Tomino show. The odd way events flow, the names and the dialogue. The whole cast doing the can-can in the ED too. Masked character appeared in the ED, but it's obvious who it is.

RELAYER

Banned
Really? I'm watching Wing right now for the first time and I got to say I rather like it. Well at least the parts without Relena and Wu anyway.

Well none of the characters seem like real people to me. They're just there to look pretty and cool. They're all dolls.

And Relena's death fetish is actually probably the only interesting thing about any of them, as annoying and dumb as she is.

Granted I only made it to like episode 9. Maybe it gets better.

edit: Trez is really annoying too. That guy has "pre-teen girl fan service" all over him.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Is the RG WZC uncolored?

Is this the first of its type for RG or am I just looking at pics of prototypes?

yami4ct

You could just spray paint it all grey. It would be super easy to do if you're into that design. You could then detail it up in the eye's/sensors and give it a really cool deactivated or stealth look.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Nah, I meant the RG looks good in general ALTHOUGH all white is also really super sexy.

I never tried painting before, but I will learn how to paint for RG WZC.

yami4ct

Oh yeah, I totally agree. Ended up throwing it into my PG Unicorn order because it looked like so much fun. Seeing a lot of complaints that it's basically just the MG scaled down, but honestly that's super impressive in and of itself. The MG is great and there really isn't much to do with it without really fussing with the design. They added a ton of great option hands, which is all I personally would really want.

yami4ct

You're getting the PG Unicorn? Lol. Can't wait for pics.

I ordered it. Still have time to cancel, but probably won't. Had a Lego UCS Imperial Shuttle that was just kind of sitting around and decided that I was gonna get rid of it. Selling that will pretty much completely pay for the PG Unicorn+LEDs, and I already have a huge box coming from HLJ coming in December so I can save on shipping. It just ended up working out.

There will be lots of pictures when it comes. Cannot wait. My first PG.

Should have been included wit the kit in the first place :mad:

That kit already has so much plastic and is super expensive for what it is. Cannot imagine increasing the base cost by adding that giant ring too.

Acid08

Banned
So lame that the MG Shining's Hyper Mode parts are molded in yellow and not gold. When I eventually get one the first order of business will be to paint those.

Miker

First-time poster in this thread, have a question of sorts:

I've never actually watched any sort of Gundam before, and I don't watch anime. I do, however, enjoy building them, for whatever reason. The OT for whatever new Gundam anime (G conquistador something) made me curious about at least sampling some Gundam anime.

I guess I want to know if Unicorn Gundam, the anime is 1) good and 2) understandable for somebody who's never watched a second of Gundam in his life. I picked out Unicorn Gundam because I have the Ver. Ka MG model, and it's a relatively short series at only seven episodes.

This may sound obstinate, but I'm mainly here for the answer to the question above, and I'm not really looking for recommendations for longer series. Not because I'm not interested in it, but because I don't have a lot of free time, and I vastly prefer miniseries to drawn out programs.

I've never actually watched any sort of Gundam before, and I don't watch anime. I do, however, enjoy building them, for whatever reason. The OT for whatever new Gundam anime (G conquistador something) made me curious about at least sampling some Gundam anime.

I guess I want to know if Unicorn Gundam, the anime is 1) good and 2) understandable for somebody who's never watched a second of Gundam in his life. I picked out Unicorn Gundam because I have the Ver. Ka MG model, and it's a relatively short series at only seven episodes.

This may sound obstinate, but I'm mainly here for the answer to the question above, and I'm not really looking for recommendations for longer series. Not because I'm not interested in it, but because I don't have a lot of free time, and I vastly prefer miniseries to drawn out programs.

I'm currently watching Unicorn and it seems like you need a general understanding of the Universal Century. The episodes are an hour each but I am enjoying them immensely.

I would actually suggest 08th MS team. It is about a squad and is just generally bad ass ground warfare with mobile suits.

CorvoSol

I sort of feel like Unicorn is kinda heavily entrenched in Gundam terminology and history, so it might be a tough start out. I recommend either War in the Pocket or G/Wing first, but if you reaaaaally wanna dive in you gotta start right with Mobile Suit Gundam.

Miker

I'm currently watching Unicorn and it seems like you need a general understanding of the Universal Century. The episodes are an hour each but I am enjoying them immensely.

I would actually suggest 08th MS team. It is about a squad and is just generally bad ass ground warfare with mobile suits.

I sort of feel like Unicorn is kinda heavily entrenched in Gundam terminology and history, so it might be a tough start out. I recommend either War in the Pocket or G/Wing first, but if you reaaaaally wanna dive in you gotta start right with Mobile Suit Gundam.

How lost will I be? I guess if it's *that* bad, I won't watch it :(

Acid08

Banned
How lost will I be? I guess if it's *that* bad, I won't watch it :(
Do you know who Char is? Do you know what a Newtype is? Do you know who the Zabi family/Zeon is? Do you know the events of ZZ and CCA?

I'd consider all of that to be required knowledge before going in.

Miker

Do you know who Char is? Do you know what a Newtype is? Do you know who the Zabi family/Zeon is? Do you know the events of ZZ and CCA?

I'd consider all of that to be required knowledge before going in.

In order:

No. No. No. No.

Shit. I guess I'm not watching Gundam.

yami4ct

duckroll wants that PG Exia announcement

Exia is one of the few PGs that Bandai could announce that would get me to pay PG prices for. Probably Exia, Nu Gundam and Sinanju would be the ones I'd be instantly sold odd. May get me to bite on a regular Freedom depending on the price.

Exia is one of the few PGs that Bandai could announce that would get me to pay PG prices for. Probably Exia, Nu Gundam and Sinanju would be the ones I'd be instantly sold odd. May get me to bite on a regular Freedom depending on the price.

Exia is one of the best goddamn Gundam designs ever.

Acid08

Banned
It's so damn hard for me to separate the suits from the pilots/shows. Like, I think 00 and SEED have cool Gundams but damn if I ever built a model of one they would just remind me of characters and stories that I greatly dislike. Anyone else feel like that?

It's so damn hard for me to separate the suits from the pilots/shows. Like, I think 00 and SEED have cool Gundams but damn if I ever built a model of one they would just remind me of characters and stories than I greatly dislike. Anyone else feel like that?

It's particularly bad for me, because I LOVE the Gundams base, iconic, design. So I find most of the designs good but stay away from the ones in the bad series

CorvoSol

It's so damn hard for me to separate the suits from the pilots/shows. Like, I think 00 and SEED have cool Gundams but damn if I ever built a model of one they would just remind me of characters and stories that I greatly dislike. Anyone else feel like that?

I can do it for all of them except fucking AGE. Suit designs in that show were bad, and characters were just way worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom