• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as ZZ really does get better after episode 18, whenever someone tells me that I should keep watching something after suffering 18 shitty episodes, that's not a glowing recommendation.

Shun

Reverse image searching, seems like they are all various pieces of fan-art from around the web. 1st seems like a Gundam-ized version of an Astray head, 2nd seems based on the Hi-Nu head and 3rd is most hard to place. Getting a lot of hints of Zeta from that one.

Yeah I figured the latter two would be Hi-Nu and Zeta influenced but I wasn't completely sure.

First one was what threw me off with the whole G-Self color scheme.

rrvv

This is fascinating. I remember reading similar stuff somewhere, but don't remember where. Where did you find that? Would love to have that posted in the OT to help answer a lot of the questions people are asking in there.

the interview come from during Gundam exhibition. the translation I found is from 4chan.

TOYSUP!#03 Tomino Interview
-Capital Tower was built on the first year of RC. They started building the space side first. Mankind moved residence to near to the rail network to wait for the exhausted earth and nature to recover.
-The surviving spacenoids from the UC era, you might call them remnants, build their own place on the far side of the moon and oppose the capital tower.
-There's a colony of water/ocean near Venus. What mankind needs most, psychologically, when away from Earth, is the sea. 100 km diameter 150m wide disc. He envisioned a disc of water just floating in space and decided it'd be a great image. Now there can be submarines in space. Also there's a structure below it holding up the water where battle scenes can take place.
-Reconquista (not guista in here) means the rebirth of Gundam, NOT a retaking.
-The reason for depopulation and environmental degradation is the wars for supremacy that took place during the UC era.

Space Elevator book
-The UC era used up most of Earth's resources and manking is coming close to extinction
-RC didn't bring back heavy industry but focused it on around the capital tower
-Capital tower's capital means capital as in economic terms
-RC's population is under 1/10th (of UC's?)
-The tower's in the amazon because Tomino thought that'd probably be the only place on Earth where greenery is left at all
-The base of the tower can move between the river and sea.
-They messed up the size of the gondola but instead of fixing it just have the MS connect to it.
-Space elevator's speed is 500km/h
-Top of the capital tower is a religious place, holy land
-Story is to ask the children of 10+ years to think about what to do with Earth 50 years from now

Gundam exhibition Tomino interview
-G-Reco will feature love, romanticism and adventure
-By featuring the problems of modern society he wants children to think about said problems
-The Cuntara are the people who became food when mankind turned to cannibalism at the brink of extinction. They represent the problem of racism, the horrors of the collapse of society, and the depths of human sin
-(Why go so far?) Because children in puberty watch anime. From Triton he learned that there's a strong possibility of anime speaking to children in puberty. Even if it's fantasy, a good story will make the viewer think of how to apply what they have learned to real life. There is a circuit in there that leads to the real world.

-When creating G-Reco, Tomino made note of how children aren't watching Gundam anymore and is trying his best to make a show for kids.
-If it were his usual thing that viewers' age would rise.
-In order to keep the story to the basics he consulted young staff and sought their opinions on everything.
-G-Reco has a stronger message of co-existence than other previous Gundam series.
-Mankind went as far as to cannibalism but after a thousand years learned to forgive.
-This dark background is to tell the next generation "you don't want that to happen, do you?"
-Tomino doesn't think humanity is THAT stupid

also some bit that seem havent been translated

マニニィ 「ベルリィに負けるな! ルイン!」
ノレド 「ベルリィ! 三千五百回生を盛り上げろ!」
ベルリィ 「あっ!?」後ろからドツかれて、つんのめるが、踏み止まる。
ルイン 「(誰にいうともなく)年下を辱めるなよ!」
生徒A 「今の体の動きだって、尊敬しちゃうよぉ」
生徒B 「ルインこそ総監殿に取り入ろうって、ベルリィをかばうのか!? さすがだなぁ」
ベルリィ 「あれ!?」
ベルリィの素っ頓狂な声に一同が見る。石壁の上にノレドがライヤを引き上げて、踊らせようとしている。

□ 校庭の別の場所
生徒A 「あれ、どこの女子だ!?」
生徒B 「キャピタタァーが監視している女子のはずだぜ?」
ノレドたち 「(オフ)ウォォォォ!」
ルイン 「もういいから! マニニィ、この子どうしたんだよ」
マニニィ 「あたしたちのクラスに編入してきたんだよ。記憶が戻るまで面倒みろってさ」

Possibly spoiler-ish for the new GBF series...

It looks like there's a HG
Hyaku Shiki custom
coming. It's listed as a Dec release but wasn't shown with the other Dec kits at the hobby show last week. Looking at the price I really hope it's a new tool... but then again they released (though very limited) a recolored version for the old Gunpla Builders series.

http://gundamguy.blogspot.jp/2014/10/hgbf-1144-hyaku-shiki-custom-unit-hgbc.html

I think they focus too much on UC stuff. not that I really complaining but I am hoping to see more custom build from other era at this point

cntr

Banned
Found out G-Reco had come out, and rushed to get the new eps.

It's far more colorful and cheery than I expected. Though I expect the latter to change as the show goes on.

That ending and opening themes are REALLY CATCHY.

CorvoSol

The convergence isn't literal, it's a shorthand for the idea that every universe screws up and ends up destroying itself / its youth. Also it's Tomino reclaiming Gundam from Bandai and Sunrise by saying every new series ends the same way (i.e Turn A).

I don't mean to invalidate these interpretations, I just mean that I don't see why it cannot be taken both ways. We're shown all of this stuff in a rather literal manner, so I don't see why anyone should have to say it isn't so. I just don't see how it could be any more blatant than showing you these things, having characters like Corrin remember things from other eras, and having characters mention events from separate timelines.

Like, if you'd like to think that the motivation is Tomino doing this or that or saying this or that, I'd certainly agree that's a valid way to look at it. But there's no denying that the show has a character do a Shining Finger and call it a Shining Finger during a sequence that presents itself as the series literal history containing scenes from different Gundam universes.

All I am saying, in the end, is that to suggest that UC, FC, AC, and AW aren't a part of CC's history is to directly contradict what CC itself said. Whatever Tomino's motivations and whatever means are used in bringing that seeming impossibility are questions for consideration, sure, but the inarguable fact is that the Black History as it is presented in Turn A Gundam comprises UC, FC, AC and AW.

On recommendation from Corvo, I've decided to try ZZ again and push my way through to the end.

I feel like I didn't give it a real chance following my wrapping up of Z. Dismissed it really early on.

Then I ended up watching Turn A down the line and loved it for how weird and insane it was on every possible level.

I think I'm ready. Anime ja nai.

And slowly my plan to get everyone finally watch this poor show comes to fruition.

As much as ZZ really does get better after episode 18, whenever someone tells me that I should keep watching something after suffering 18 shitty episodes, that's not a glowing recommendation.

This is a perfectly fair statement, and its one of the things that I think most about when I consider whether or not I should recommend ZZ. As caveats, though, I think most every Gundam show contains at minimum 10 episodes of poor quality. I'd also argue that ZZ's quality is less equally bad prior to 18 and onward and more decreasingly bad. The show has an admittedly rough start but as it goes it slowly recovers. Things become clearly different by the second half, but the build to that difference is an ongoing effort. ZZ Gundam manages to hide the fact that the Argama is under some serious duress early on by changing the viewpoint from the survivors of the Gryps conflict to Judau and friends. As they're largely oblivious to what's been going on, the show sort of reflects how much they miss.

But you still have Bright driven to trust some rather fickle kids (some of whom are thieves or traitors at points), until Roux is sent, and a single soldier is the only reinforcements, along with two mechs, that the AEUG ever sends him. They never even bother to send the man a new Methuss.

And all of this isn't apparent early on unless you're looking for it, but when you hit Dublin and find out that the AEUG views the Argama as a nuisance, it begins to make a lot of sense and such.

I've kind of gone off point, though. You're completely right that people should know ahead of time that the show has a rough beginning and it takes a fair amount of time to overcome it. I think the early tone also can be enjoyed, but its something people need to understand before they jump right into, and so I'd say one of the great weaknesses of ZZ is that Tomino didn't give any time to breathe before the shift, and that Tomino sucks at transitioning in general.

Started the RG Exia today.

Compared to the other RGs I've done, it has way fewer decals. Most are so small that it's not even worth wasting your time.

I took Duckroll and Enron's experiences and was super careful with the leg-joint. It's a frustrating build, but real talk: It's not 1/8th as frustrating as Justice was. I wish I could explain how stupid and lazy some of the pieces are. In particular, the frust skirt's black inserts could not have been designed worse. The worst part was how everything in the back of the unit pushes straight in, and so does the connection to the backpack. If you ever try to take the Fatum glider off, it rips off half the torso, and the only way to get it back in is to take about 7 things apart and reassemble it.

I can see they've simplified the leg joints considerably with Exia. The ankles on Freedom were like 8-10 different B-plate parts alone. Seems like they have improved the design on the advanced MS joint system. Apparently the new EW series will have an even better skeleton. Can't wait.

I'll post pics when done. I've been warned about the head, so some more pain is yet to come.

RangerBAD

The convergence isn't literal, it's a shorthand for the idea that every universe screws up and ends up destroying itself / its youth. Also it's Tomino reclaiming Gundam from Bandai and Sunrise by saying every new series ends the same way (i.e Turn A).

Yep. In the end, this is what Turn A really is and its a far more interesting reading of the story than trying to tease of a literal interpretation of what amounts to maybe a couple of minutes of old suit footage shown in the show.

I'm okay with symbolism.

I don't mean to invalidate these interpretations, I just mean that I don't see why it cannot be taken both ways. We're shown all of this stuff in a rather literal manner, so I don't see why anyone should have to say it isn't so. I just don't see how it could be any more blatant than showing you these things, having characters like Corrin remember things from other eras, and having characters mention events from separate timelines.

I love Turn A. I think its a highlight of the franchise, and some of Tominos finest work(Be Invoked is him at his greatest though).

That said, my interpretation of Turn A is that it is self contained. It being connected to every show is part of its own canon, but not vice versa. Its kind of a hard concept to wrap ones head around and I can't quite explain it though.

CorvoSol

New subject: Talk to me about Panel Lining.

Like how hard is it to do? Does it really make the Gunpla look that much better? Does one panel line HGs or just higher grades than that?

Acid08

Banned

Like how hard is it to do? Does it really make the Gunpla look that much better? Does one panel line HGs or just higher grades than that?

Here's my panel lining post from a few pages ago.

Basically, yes it does make your gunpla look much better. It isn't hard, you just need to make sure you have rubbing alcohol to help remove any mistakes you make. My HG Fenice definitely benefited from lining, my MG F91 even more so.

There are a couple was to do it. I'm not the best at it, but it really pays off. I think some kits rely on it more than others. RGs can look pretty great without them.

HGs though should definitely be lined. As I construct each piece, I just through with a fine tipped sharpy and detail. Really makes elements pop

Acid08

Banned
There are a couple was to do it. I'm not the best at it, but it really pays off. I think some kits rely on it more than others. RGs can look pretty great without them.

HGs though should definitely be lined. As I construct each piece, I just through with a fine tipped sharpy and detail. Really makes elements pop

Yeah, kits like the Turn A really really REALLY need to be lined to look their best.

Ken

Can you line a kit that's already been assembled, though?

I line after assembly, though I'll take off arms and legs from the body to make it easier.

I think lining before assembly is a lot easier though, especially with something like the head.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've come to the conclusion as I've gotten older that I don't really like any UC shows that take place after The One Year War. Parts of ZZ are fine and I like some of the suits in Zeta. Too serious. Too many Newtypes. Same shit with the Federation being corrupt, new seemingly evil spacenoid group winning the war before plucky youngsters in newer and shinier suits save the day while ruining their fragile egos, earth getting something dropped on it, endless conflict. Over and over.

I might like Crossbone just because of how silly it is, shame it never got a series.

Okay, Exia is done.

afX0UdG.jpg

It was an annoying build, but less annoying than the Justice. I should post a picture of it to show the end result, though. You can see how, if you get it set up safely without everything falling out, the complexity can be rewarding.

The only REALLY annoying part was putting the white mouth piece on the red 'goatee'. So tiny, it took way too long to accomplish. I've done 3 RG units, and they all had this same construction. Looks great, but damn is it frustrating.

Here is another RG I did earlier, the awesome Freedom Gundam. I'm not sure if I like Freedom better than Exia so far or not. Too early to tell. However, I will say that the durability of the RG Exia is spectacular. It's like an action figure. And the joints feel stiff and durable when you move them. I can tell they really improved the Advanced MS Joint system since Freedom came out.

KXHV1nd.jpg

I

I would say that 60% of the parts in MGs are hidden inside the interior, those don't need to line unless you want to practice.

I painted the pistons on my MG Zaku's feet only to find out a minute later that they're completely covered by armor. That was time well spent.

CorvoSol

I've come to the conclusion as I've gotten older that I don't really like any UC shows that take place after The One Year War. Parts of ZZ are fine and I like some of the suits in Zeta. Too serious. Too many Newtypes. Same shit with the Federation being corrupt, new seemingly evil spacenoid group winning the war before plucky youngsters in newer and shinier suits save the day while ruining their fragile egos, earth getting something dropped on it, endless conflict. Over and over.

I might like Crossbone just because of how silly it is, shame it never got a series.

This is actually the problem I face more with AU Gundams now than UC ones. Like, UC is repetitive, yeah, but I dunno. I think MSG through ZZ was a good run for it. If CCA had been a full length show (maybe featuring cameos of Kamille and Judau) I'd be down for that. But I think post CCA onward UC is pretty stale.

AU Gundams I always feel sad when they get too caught up in recreating the UC because they could be so much more than that. Like, G does its own thing, and while I had problems with 00 being too similar to FMP, its first season was still different from the Gundam norm and I liked that. One of the biggest problems I had with AGE was how much it wanted to recreated UC yet again.

But it's not all bad, either. Wing, X and SEED are all okay when they choose to sorta break out. I kinda feel this way about Zeta and ZZ, too, actually. Like Zeta chose to make the Earth the villains rather than JUST the Zeon, and then ZZ turns around and decides to show the AEUG as being as corrupt as the Feds in the end.

A lot of people have been picking up Gundam lately (following off Build Fighters' success) and I just kinda tell them my mantra for the franchise is "I really really like this minus _______."

I line after assembly, though I'll take off arms and legs from the body to make it easier.

I think lining before assembly is a lot easier though, especially with something like the head.

Sure, will probably just need to do one part at a time. So you take off a leg, line it, take of an arm, line it, etc.

I line after assembled, I would say that 60% of the parts in MGs are hidden inside the interior, those don't need to line unless you want to practice.

Thanks guys! If I can ever figure out where to buy this Slim ZZ I'll be sure to panel line it and show it off.

I painted the pistons on my MG Zaku's feet only to find out a minute later that they're completely covered by armor. That was time well spent.

This is why you do test assembly first. So you can see what parts are exposed, which aren't, what need to be painted, which seams need to be fixed, whats the mobility on the joints and how stiff are they.

RangerBAD

This is actually the problem I face more with AU Gundams now than UC ones. Like, UC is repetitive, yeah, but I dunno. I think MSG through ZZ was a good run for it. If CCA had been a full length show (maybe featuring cameos of Kamille and Judau) I'd be down for that. But I think post CCA onward UC is pretty stale.

AU Gundams I always feel sad when they get too caught up in recreating the UC because they could be so much more than that. Like, G does its own thing, and while I had problems with 00 being too similar to FMP, its first season was still different from the Gundam norm and I liked that. One of the biggest problems I had with AGE was how much it wanted to recreated UC yet again.

But it's not all bad, either. Wing, X and SEED are all okay when they choose to sorta break out. I kinda feel this way about Zeta and ZZ, too, actually. Like Zeta chose to make the Earth the villains rather than JUST the Zeon, and then ZZ turns around and decides to show the AEUG as being as corrupt as the Feds in the end.

A lot of people have been picking up Gundam lately (following off Build Fighters' success) and I just kinda tell them my mantra for the franchise is "I really really like this minus _______."

For UC Gundams, the tropes are expected and welcome. For AU they should use that as a chance to do something different (and they have a few times). I personally don't mind both falling into the same story.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This is why you do test assembly first. So you can see what parts are exposed, which aren't, what need to be painted, which seams need to be fixed, whats the mobility on the joints and how stiff are they.

Do you disassemble after test assembling? Seems like you would double your chances of getting duckroll'd.

yami4ct

Do you disassemble after test assembling? Seems like you would double your chances of getting duckroll'd.

Once you get good at it, it's pretty easy to disassemble and reassemble kits with breakages. If you know how a piece goes together, you know what order to take it apart and how much force should be required. Heck, there are alterations you can do to a kit to make disassembly easier. For instance, you can cut all the pegs down a little at an angle so that they still hold, but are easy to take apart. You then just add a dab of glue to each when you're doing final assembly, and you're good.

Since I think I'll probably end up repainting a lot of my kits at some point, I don't use that method, but for those confident with their building skills, it's very useful.

Acid08

Banned
For UC Gundams, the tropes are expected and welcome. For AU they should use that as a chance to do something different (and they have a few times). I personally don't mind both falling into the same story.

I definitely didn't feel that way with Zeta. Felt like it was just chasing MSG through most of it and when it used tropes(Lalah especially) it just did them way too many times. ZZ had a way better balance of them.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

All the AU shows except SEED, G, and Turn A if you want to count it are just slightly altered retellings of UC shows.

Wing is basically the entire UC (up to CCA if you count Endless Waltz) but it changes enough to the point where it is pretty good. SEED is also the same way, more shameless in a way though. Wing just references stuff here and there where SEED is just hey, this shit happened in MSG (Destiny being a huge Zeta ripoff)

AGE is just bad and covers an even wider range. 00 is sort of interesting in that it escapes the mold and instead uses Wing as the show to ripoff, so it's a third generation bootleg in a way. X is basically just an alternate universe.

So its funny but the three shows I like the most are the ones that distance themselves most from UC in G, Build Fighters, and Turn A.

All the AU shows except SEED, G, and Turn A if you want to count it are just slightly altered retellings of UC shows.

Wing is basically the entire UC (up to CCA if you count Endless Waltz) but it changes enough to the point where it is pretty good. SEED is also the same way, more shameless in a way though. Wing just references stuff here and there where SEED is just hey, this shit happened in MSG (Destiny being a huge Zeta ripoff)

seed is such a ripoff of msg minus everything that made it good. I'd say that is the most uc ripoffish show in the franchise. Wing is number 2

CorvoSol

AGE is just bad and covers an even wider range. 00 is sort of interesting in that it escapes the mold and instead uses Wing as the show to ripoff, so it's a third generation bootleg in a way. X is basically just an alternate universe.

So its funny but the three shows I like the most are the ones that distance themselves most from UC in G, Build Fighters, and Turn A.

I get where you're coming from there. I really would like for AUs to branch out and away from UC more. I'm split on how I feel about UC doing UC stuff again, though. Like I said, MSG-ZZ and maybe CCA I feel is pretty solid, but F91 and especially Victory are kinda aimless repetitions of earlier stuff.

Unicorn is the most divisive to me. On the one hand I really loved the animation and the music, and the mechs, but on the other hand the plot felt sorta weird at times. It wasn't bad, but I wanted more out of it, you know?

Acid08

Banned
I get where you're coming from there. I really would like for AUs to branch out and away from UC more. I'm split on how I feel about UC doing UC stuff again, though. Like I said, MSG-ZZ and maybe CCA I feel is pretty solid, but F91 and especially Victory are kinda aimless repetitions of earlier stuff.

Unicorn is the most divisive to me. On the one hand I really loved the animation and the music, and the mechs, but on the other hand the plot felt sorta weird at times. It wasn't bad, but I wanted more out of it, you know?

You got magical Newtype time travel, what else is there?

RangerBAD

I remember back in the day calling Wing just the political version of MSG. SEED was of course another version of MSG too.

You got magical Newtype time travel, what else is there?

I felt like that was just Full Frontal imposing his vision of the future on Banagher rather than actual time travel. Since he shared Char's ideals on how humans will destroy everything and never understand each other. Also, psychoframe technology allowing you to invade the minds of others.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com

That's why you cut all the pegs on the parts you need to disassemble like this:

003.jpg

If you do it correctly it will still hold firmly, but can disassemble with little bit of force. If you cut the peg too much, just hot glue it after you done painting.

Watched the first two episodes of the new Gundam show...

Is it me or is there something off about how they are detailing the main characters personality... I know its just two episodes in but... its just off to me. At first I figured its because I hate these super happy carefree characters who are scarily oblivious to whats going on around them while they do w/e they want with a passion, but something feels like its missing.

I wanna like it after seeing the creators comments but I feel like his old tropes are back, like female pilots always suck because they are just emotional sacks who cant stop their crotch from bleeding in a fight and are therefore incompetent. Or as Futurerama put it "female incompetence"

Speaking of... watched another episode of ZZ, now at 7 and I can only stand one episode of this shit every 3 months apparently. WHAT THE SHIT HAPPENED TO FA!?

ZZ takes place like... a few days after the end of Zeta right... did she like, forget how to pilot a mobile suit or something in that short ass time?! If I remember right shes the one who flew the Zeta to them in Zeta, now she can't even move the fucking thing in this new series.

W
T
F

Same with the Methis, it was her mobile suit for 70% of the damn show, how the fuck can't you pilot this thing. She killed a few dozen people in those Zeta battles, but now she cant even make this shit fly apperently.

Once again "Because of Female Incompetence"

That is the only reasoning behind this shit. I know this guy butchers female characters but common!

Thank god he did not work on Unicorn because if Marida had to go though this I would fucking murder his ass.

You're fucking kidding yourself if you think Marida didn't fall victim to the Tomino Curse too.

She did but at least she remembered how to open the fucking cockpit. Or turned into a mindslave for dick after seeing another man for the first time. Or had an irrational bleeding vagina rant with no explanation or reason. Ect. ect. ect.

Seriously it pisses me off haha.

CorvoSol

Speaking of... watched another episode of ZZ, now at 7 and I can only stand one episode of this shit every 3 months apparently. WHAT THE SHIT HAPPENED TO FA!?

ZZ takes place like... a few days after the end of Zeta right... did she like, forget how to pilot a mobile suit or something in that short ass time?! If I remember right shes the one who flew the Zeta to them in Zeta, now she can't even move the fucking thing in this new series.

W
T
F

Same with the Methis, it was her mobile suit for 70% of the damn show, how the fuck can't you pilot this thing. She killed a few dozen people in those Zeta battles, but now she cant even make this shit fly apperently.

Fa was always an incompetent pilot, though. The difference is by ZZ she's actually seen enough shit to realize she can't just go barreling off the Argama to chase whatever. She sort of grows out of doing the stupid shit she did in Zeta in the short time she's around in ZZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom