• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

AGE-2 almost started something. Of course, that something was a weak version of Gundam 00 Raiser.

I kinda think only the AGE-2 White was okay. I don't even like the Pirate one. Woolf's mechs are the only ones in the show I like, and by extension Woolf is the only character I liked.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
It's so damn hard for me to separate the suits from the pilots/shows. Like, I think 00 and SEED have cool Gundams but damn if I ever built a model of one they would just remind me of characters and stories than I greatly dislike. Anyone else feel like that?

Not really, even if the pilot became a crybaby, and paint an awesome suit pink....

What a great timing I just finish building this:

kEqZgjW.jpg

Inside look of the Athrun's waifu

Pro:
I love this unit, it is the first one I can "play" with without having shit falling down every time you move the arm. Unlike Rx-78-2 3.0, I am too scare to even touch that thing after finding a pose that I like.

It is amazing that even with all those weights, it can still stand with all the equipment. The skeleton isn't as flexible as Rx 3.0, but it is a lot simpler to build, less moving parts, so there are less joint problem. The fat, less detailed skeleton actually is a plus, it is a lot more sturdy.

Con:
What the hell is with the exchangeable hand instead of movable fingers :(

Yellow stripes on black? Instead of painting the yellow, I might just use the sticker.

Why pink...... who the heck designed this? If only strike come with this backpack.

I may just leave this unpaint, or save it for later.

yami4ct

I can do it for all of them except fucking AGE. Suit designs in that show were bad, and characters were just way worse.

I'm a crazy person, because outside of the villain designs and the AGE-1 crap, I really like the AGE stuff. I think Age-2, particularly double bullet is super cool as well as the G-Bouncer. I don't completely dig Age-3, but I think the bulkiness of the design works. I really love Age-FX as silly as it is. Those funnels+that cannon+that bulky armor all really work for me.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I just can't dig the Exia's design at all, I think it's not very attractive at all.

Finally getting around to Gundam Build Fighters. Not TRY, the original.

I guess the new rule for Gundam is that if the letters F-I-G-H-T-E-R appear in the title of the show then the show is going to be.

1. Not your momma's Gundam.
2. not coincidentally, also a good show.

CorvoSol

I'm a crazy person, because outside of the villain designs and the AGE-1 crap, I really like the AGE stuff. I think Age-2, particularly double bullet is super cool as well as the G-Bouncer. I don't completely dig Age-3, but I think the bulkiness of the design works. I really love Age-FX as silly as it is. Those funnels+that cannon+that bulky armor all really work for me.

I mostly can't stand AGE's terrible bland mook suits and dinosaur villain suits. Not a huge fan of the Gundams, though.

It's so damn hard for me to separate the suits from the pilots/shows. Like, I think 00 and SEED have cool Gundams but damn if I ever built a model of one they would just remind me of characters and stories that I greatly dislike. Anyone else feel like that?
No, I have an RG Destiny and love it.

yami4ct

Man I want a Destiny so bad. Those red slits beneath the eyes are wicked awesome.

I may disagree with you often on Gundam shows, Corvo, but your taste in mech designs I can get behind. Destiny's head sculpt is great. Love those facial details too. Add onto that some great giant weapons and wings of light and Destiny is just all around badass. Too bad it has such a shitty pilot.

Acid08

Banned
So gonna start my Crossbone X1 soon but one thing thats been nagging me is what color to paint the weapons.

You can see them there but that's not how they look out of the box, they're molded in solid white. Was thinking of doing some red highlights and maybe primarily black? I think gold highlights might look cool too. What do you guys think?

Just watched the first two episodes of G Reko

What I didn't like:
- Pretty minimal effort has gone into world building. I have no idea what the politics are like, other than the fact there is orbital elevators, a country called Ameria, and some sort of religious figure. Oh, and that this is definitely some time after UC. I'm sure this will be cleaned up in later episodes, but for now it's pretty disorienting.
-Editing: Most of the time it seemed fine, but the beginning of episode 1 was really odd. It kind of jumped right in without explanation.

What I did like:
- The mecha. All the designs are excellent. Catsiths are pretty cool, and I'm LOVING Grimoires. The G-self, outside of being an odd name, is a pretty solid suit too. Very minimalist, yet striking.
- The characters: Certainly a lively cast. Bellri hasn't really done anything to stand out yet, but I think he'll be an okay protagonist. Aida seems pretty solid. Her moment after Cahill dies was pretty good. Luin is another early character I'm liking.
- Minovsky physics: I love me some minovsky particles, and they're using them to full effect here. It appears a modification of the Minovsky Flight system is utilized for the elevator, creating some sort of anti-gravitational field. Pretty cool stuff there.

Questions I have going forward:
- Are there still space colonies? If not, what happened to them?
- What is the power dynamic in the world? What factions are going to be at play here?

PhiLonius

G-Reco has definitely got me thinking about a timeline for all the eras and what order they would possibly go in.

Is there anything official out that delves into that?

yami4ct

G-Reco has definitely got me thinking about a timeline for all the eras and what order they would possibly go in.

Is there anything official out that delves into that?

There is no liner linkage between the different timelines besides UC->RC. They are all separate entities, sometimes even with different physical laws (Gundam 00).

TURN A SPOILERS BELLOW

There was a point in time Bandai/Sunrise claimed all the timelines eventually collapsed into the Turn A Correct Century (that's why there's multiple continuities in the "Black History"), but that idea seems to have been completely disowned.

RangerBAD

There is no liner linkage between the different timelines besides UC->RC. They are all separate entities, sometimes even with different physical laws (Gundam 00).

TURN A SPOILERS BELLOW

There was a point in time Bandai/Sunrise claimed all the timelines eventually collapsed into the Turn A Correct Century (that's why there's multiple continuities in the "Black History"), but that idea seems to have been completely disowned.

I thought they were still saying that. All Gundams are in the same universe. Nanomachines, MGS, etc.

Just watched the first two episodes of G Reko

What I didn't like:
-
Pretty minimal effort has gone into world building
. I have no idea what the politics are like, other than the fact there is orbital elevators, a country called Ameria, and some sort of religious figure. Oh, and that this is definitely some time after UC. I'm sure this will be cleaned up in later episodes, but for now it's pretty disorienting.
-Editing: Most of the time it seemed fine, but the beginning of episode 1 was really odd. It kind of jumped right in without explanation.

What I did like:
- The mecha. All the designs are excellent. Catsiths are pretty cool, and I'm LOVING Grimoires. The G-self, outside of being an odd name, is a pretty solid suit too. Very minimalist, yet striking.
- The characters: Certainly a lively cast. Bellri hasn't really done anything to stand out yet, but I think he'll be an okay protagonist. Aida seems pretty solid. Her moment after Cahill dies was pretty good. Luin is another early character I'm liking.
- Minovsky physics: I love me some minovsky particles, and they're using them to full effect here. It appears a modification of the Minovsky Flight system is utilized for the elevator, creating some sort of anti-gravitational field. Pretty cool stuff there.

-
Are there still space colonies? If not, what happened to them?
- What is the power dynamic in the world? What factions are going to be at play here?

Took a while for Xabungle to do this too.

The space pirates have to live somewhere.

Acid08

Banned

TURN A SPOILERS BELLOW

How can that be disowned? It's literally shown in the show...

CorvoSol

Assuming that G-Reco is the set up to Turn A (and with Ameria wandering around that's not an unfair assumption yet) the Space Colonies are probably gone. Like, they probably left like Turn A's Dark History says.

I've been sorta pondering on the order of events, and I want to say I think X comes last or near last. It makes sense for the fight at the start of X to be the calamity that causes the Colonies to leave, but I'm only 11 episodes in so I could be hella wrong on that. All the same, a calamity which destroys large amounts of the Earth and its colonies would allow for the total shift in national identities seen in Turn A.

The problem is we have what, G, Wing, SEED, 00 and maybe AGE to fit in there?

Banners seen in AGE bear the ZAFT logo, so it has to come after SEED. SEED's mission to find extraterrestrial life won't make much sense if 00 has happened and mankind has made contact with the ELS. A semi-intelligent metal like the ELS could serve as the basis for DG Cells, but at the same time the ELS could simply be DG Cells that somehow escaped the final battle. Wing kinda feels like it can go anywhere prior to X. I like the idea of Wing coming after Victory since the colonies in Wing are still beholden to the Earth, but I'm not sure.

This is the new Zelda Timeline. At the end of it Sunrise declares that CCA splits the timeline and on the one hand is Unicorn and the other F91. Nobody will be satisfied with this explanation.

yami4ct

I thought they were still saying that. All Gundams are in the same universe. Nanomachines, MGS, etc.

That's actually never how it worked. The basic idea was that all the AU shows were on separate timelines and completely unconnected. At the end of each of those timelines was the Correct Century, as if the timelines eventually "collapsed" into one at that era. Correct Century was somehow the end of each timeline, but that didn't mean the timelines themselves were connected. That explanation seems to have gone by the wayside.

There was one official Timeline that came with a video game or something once that showed all the gundams (up to turn a) eventually funneling into the Turn A timeline. Ever since then, the official timelines list all timelines, including CC, as separate things. They never really talks about/seems to care about the Black History anymore. What's shown in the show isn't any sort of timeline, just old footage from various shows. There's hints, but no real confirmation of anything so Sunrise is free to do what they want.

RangerBAD

We haven't entered the space phase on this Gundam yet, so I guess we'll see. The show is feeling a little dystopian. They don't really let people see too much of the outside and the Capital probably controls most information.

That's actually never how it worked. The basic idea was that all the AU shows were on separate timelines and completely unconnected. At the end of each of those timelines was the Correct Century, as if the timelines eventually "collapsed" into one at that era. Correct Century was somehow the end of each timeline, but that didn't mean the timelines themselves were connected. That explanation seems to have gone by the wayside.

There was one officially Timeline that came with a video game or something once that showed all the gundams (up to turn a) eventually funneling into the Turn A timeline. Ever since then, the official timelines list all timelines, including CC, as separate things. They never really talks about/seems to care about the Black History anymore. What's shown in the show isn't any sort of timeline, just old footage from various shows. There's hints, but no real confirmation of anything so Sunrise is free to do what they want.

Still sounds just as convoluted/bad. lol

PhiLonius

This is what I thought. I always went with U.C. -> RC -> Everything else -> Turn A

Assuming that G-Reco is the set up to Turn A (and with Ameria wandering around that's not an unfair assumption yet) the Space Colonies are probably gone. Like, they probably left like Turn A's Dark History says.

I've been sorta pondering on the order of events, and I want to say I think X comes last or near last. It makes sense for the fight at the start of X to be the calamity that causes the Colonies to leave, but I'm only 11 episodes in so I could be hella wrong on that. All the same, a calamity which destroys large amounts of the Earth and its colonies would allow for the total shift in national identities seen in Turn A.

The problem is we have what, G, Wing, SEED, 00 and maybe AGE to fit in there?

Banners seen in AGE bear the ZAFT logo, so it has to come after SEED. SEED's mission to find extraterrestrial life won't make much sense if 00 has happened and mankind has made contact with the ELS. A semi-intelligent metal like the ELS could serve as the basis for DG Cells, but at the same time the ELS could simply be DG Cells that somehow escaped the final battle. Wing kinda feels like it can go anywhere prior to X. I like the idea of Wing coming after Victory since the colonies in Wing are still beholden to the Earth, but I'm not sure.

This is the new Zelda Timeline. At the end of it Sunrise declares that CCA splits the timeline and on the one hand is Unicorn and the other F91. Nobody will be satisfied with this explanation.

I always assumed DG Cells were the precursor to the power of the Turn A, so G would be towards the end, with maybe X before it.

I feel like if we disavow any knowledge of Awakening of the Trailblazer, the timeline can work nicely.

Acid08

Banned

There was one official Timeline that came with a video game or something once that showed all the gundams (up to turn a) eventually funneling into the Turn A timeline. Ever since then, the official timelines list all timelines, including CC, as separate things. They never really talks about/seems to care about the Black History anymore. What's shown in the show isn't any sort of timeline, just old footage from various shows. There's hints, but no real confirmation of anything so Sunrise is free to do what they want.

Well then I don't buy into whatever Sunrise is selling. I feel like what's shown in Turn A is pretty much proof that it takes place somewhere in the future where the timelines have converged. What would be the point of them showing footage from Wing, UC, etc otherwise? The Dark History reveal seems pretty clear to me.

RangerBAD

Yeah, when I originally watched Turn A I didn't feel it was connected just a fanservice or just an alternate timeline like usual. Then someone in this thread (might have been Blader) said they were all connected based on some official info on a Turn A gunpla box.

Well then I don't buy into whatever Sunrise is selling. I feel like what's shown in Turn A is pretty much proof that it takes place somewhere in the future where the timelines have converged. What would be the point of them showing footage from Wing, UC, etc otherwise? The Dark History reveal seems pretty clear to me.

To sell gunpla and DVDs? ;p

yami4ct

Still sounds just as convoluted/bad. lol

Yep, which is why they ditched it. AU Gundams were always meant to be that, Alternate Universe. They're separate for a reason. There is, and will almost assuredly never be, one universal timeline, because that's not how they were set up.

We could get confirmation that the UC timeline eventually connects to CC post RC, but none of the other timelines will ever be connected to it ever again.

It's pure fan service. To try to take more than that out of that reveal is a fool's errand that even Bandai/Sunrise have backed away from. Maybe in some alternate universe those mecha all exist together? Officially, the timelines no longer connect and in the end it's Bandai/Sunrise's opinion on the matter that really counts.

RangerBAD

Yep, which is why they ditched it. AU Gundams were always meant to be that, Alternate Universe. They're separate for a reason. There is, and will almost assuredly never be, one universal timeline, because that's not how they were set up.

We could get confirmation that the UC timeline eventually connects to CC post RC, but none of the other timelines will ever be connected to it ever again.

If they let Tomino decide, I'm sure he would exclude all the AUs, but possibly include Turn A. He's not in control of the brand though. We'd also have a dead Amuro and a vindicated Hathaway
(FUCK YOU HATHAWAY/RIDDHE)

yami4ct

Alright, I found the official word of where all this "Black History" info came from.

The timelines merging thing came from a leaflet in a Gundam DS game. For all we know, that was written by some intern or even someone at the game dev. It's canonicity is debatable at best, since there's no other info corroborating that account. Further info all disregards this thing.

There's a Turn A story bible that confirms that there is some connection to UC, but makes no mention of any other timelines. Again, since that stuff hasn't really been referenced since, it's hard to say if that even really counts anymore.

Acid08

Banned

It's pure fan service. To try to take more than that out of that reveal is a fool's errand that even Bandai/Sunrise have backed away from. Maybe in some alternate universe those mecha all exist together? Officially, the timelines no longer connect and in the end it's Bandai/Sunrise's opinion on the matter that really counts.

It just being fan service kind of entirely ruins that whole aspect of Turn A. So I'm gonna just keep believing that it's actually just what it appears to be in the show. Like I cannot even begin to accept that what is actually shown in the damn show isn't what actually happens.

CorvoSol

I'm going to need to see an actual official thing showing that they're not related anymore before I can accept it as "officially". Referencing a material that nobody's seen kinda makes the conversation impossible to have.

And I disagree that Turn A doesn't imply more than fanservice by showing those scenes. The Turn X uses the Shining Finger attack. It's pretty clear that they were implying that G had happened as well as the whole UC with that moment. Especially if the Turn X is supposed to contain DG Cells. I mean Dianna is giving a speech about the Universal Century, looking at things from the After War and After Colony period, while Gym is using an attack from FC.

It's too many references for it to be nothing. The reveal was meant to imply that every Gundam show had happened somehow. Maybe not all in the same timeline, but Turn A implied that the events of G and UC were in its own past.

yami4ct

I'm going to need to see an actual official thing showing that they're not related anymore before I can accept it as "officially". Referencing a material that nobody's seen kinda makes the conversation impossible to have.

And I disagree that Turn A doesn't imply more than fanservice by showing those scenes. The Turn X uses the Shining Finger attack. It's pretty clear that they were implying that G had happened as well as the whole UC with that moment. Especially if the Turn X is supposed to contain DG Cells.

It's too many references for it to be nothing. The reveal was meant to imply that every Gundam show had happened somehow. Maybe not all in the same timeline, but Turn A implied that the events of G and UC were in its own past.

But it also doesn't mean that all the gundam shows take place on any sort of rational timeline. Like I said, CC could take place on a timeline where all those mechs happen to exist. That stuff in Turn A is Tomino being Tomino and watching the world burn. That man can't keep the UC straight, there's no way there's any real timeline with all the Gundams.

It's certainly not a linear timeline if one were to exist because each Gundam series has a completely different, verifiable world history. The world histories of G, the UC, and Wing Gundam could not exist at the same time. The events are all mutually exclusive.

Acid08

Banned
But it also doesn't mean that all the gundam shows take place on any sort of rational timeline. Like I said, CC could take place on a timeline where all those mechs happen to exist. That stuff in Turn A is Tomino being Tomino and watching the world burn. That man can't keep the UC straight, there's no way there's any real timeline with all the Gundams.

It's certainly not a linear timeline if one were to exist because each Gundam series has a completely different, verifiable world history. The world histories of G, the UC, and Wing Gundam could not exist at the same time. The events are all mutually exclusive.

Yet Turn A implies that they do converge at some point. It shows footage from all the timelines and says "This is all part of the Dark History." That certainly seems more significant than just being fan service.

yami4ct

Yet Turn A implies that they do converge at some point. It shows footage from all the timelines and says "This is all part of the Dark History." That certainly seems more significant than just being fan service.

But, like I said, just because one show says or implies something doesn't mean Tomino or Bandai/Sunrise give a shit anymore. Timeline-wise, UC is the only one they care to keep straight. Bandai/Sunrise most assuredly doesn't care about the Black History and its very debatable if Tomino does. We'll see how G-Reco goes.

CorvoSol

I think the impossibility is what really makes it work, actually. When was the last time Tomino or anyone at Sunrise thought a Gundam series the whole way through? We're talking about a franchise where a guy manages to create a rainbow that stops a meteor from destroying the world by burning up lives and lives and lives. The laws of physics after a while seem to inconvenience Tomino, and he never really seems all that bothered by them anyway. Look at how a colony drop in MSG somehow manages to wipe out a chunk of Australia but when dropped on Dublin in ZZ does considerably less damage.

It would also kind of explain other things you see in non UC Gundam shows, like Domon and Kira being Newtypes, for example.

Turn A Gundam rather strongly argues that X, Wing, and G all happen in addition to UC. How is a matter of debate, yes. You could say that they all happen in different timelines and some calamity which ends the UC causes all those other timelines to occur, but that they happened is sort of inarguable given that Dianna opens the Dark History and there they are. Whether we're looking at one long strand or four being woven into one, that's the only point that really matters: that these shows must have somehow transpired in the history of Turn A.

Because if they didn't, its bizarre that there would be video of them, attacks and elements from them and all of this kept in records by the people of the Moon under lock and key.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
So gonna start my Crossbone X1 soon but one thing thats been nagging me is what color to paint the weapons.

You can see them there but that's not how they look out of the box, they're molded in solid white. Was thinking of doing some red highlights and maybe primarily black? I think gold highlights might look cool too. What do you guys think?

White with dark gray highlight. I would use metallic gray or silver on the blades and chains.

CorvoSol

But, like I said, just because one show says or implies something doesn't mean Tomino or Bandai/Sunrise give a shit anymore. Timeline-wise, UC is the only one they care to keep straight. Bandai/Sunrise most assuredly doesn't care about the Black History and its very debatable if Tomino does. We'll see how G-Reco goes.

I see absolutely no reason or basis at this time to assume that Bandai, Sunrise or Tomino has any feelings one way or another. I'm reaaaally not sure where you're getting your argument from. Turn A is done and over and has been for what, two decades? And in all that time they haven't bothered to go back and change it, and I doubt they'll do that now.

Really not seeing what you are, here.

yami4ct

Eh, Corvo, I don't know, nor do I think it even matters. All these worlds are unique with their own history and mechanical development history. That's what makes them work. To try and take that away is silly and just cheapens the individual narratives. Each AU show exists on its own, and that's the point. The whole reason they did that is so that they weren't burdened by all the bullshit in the UC timeline (I love the UC timeline, but that bullshit can be overbearing to the story). They're their own thing and should be evaluated on their own terms. To try and create some false timeline through Tomino's silly bullshit he slipped into Turn A isn't really needed. Get's far too into fan-fiction territory.

frye

The convergence isn't literal, it's a shorthand for the idea that every universe screws up and ends up destroying itself / its youth. Also it's Tomino reclaiming Gundam from Bandai and Sunrise by saying every new series ends the same way (i.e Turn A).

yami4ct

The convergence isn't literal, it's a shorthand for the idea that every universe screws up and ends up destroying itself / its youth. Also it's Tomino reclaiming Gundam from Bandai and Sunrise by saying every new series ends the same way (i.e Turn A).

Yep. In the end, this is what Turn A really is and its a far more interesting reading of the story than trying to tease of a literal interpretation of what amounts to maybe a couple of minutes of old suit footage shown in the show.

rrvv

- Are there still space colonies? If not, what happened to them?

from old interview

-Capital Tower was built on the first year of RC. They started building the space side first. Mankind moved residence to near to the rail network to wait for the exhausted earth and nature to recover.
-The surviving spacenoids from the UC era, you might call them remnants, build their own place on the far side of the moon and oppose the capital tower.
-There's a colony of water/ocean near Venus. What mankind needs most, psychologically, when away from Earth, is the sea. 100 km diameter 150m wide disc. He envisioned a disc of water just floating in space and decided it'd be a great image. Now there can be submarines in space. Also there's a structure below it holding up the water where battle scenes can take place.

yami4ct

from old interview

This is fascinating. I remember reading similar stuff somewhere, but don't remember where. Where did you find that? Would love to have that posted in the OT to help answer a lot of the questions people are asking in there.

Acid08

Banned

Yep. In the end, this is what Turn A really is and its a far more interesting reading of the story than trying to tease of a literal interpretation of what amounts to maybe a couple of minutes of old suit footage shown in the show.

Both ways are interesting and aren't mutually exclusive.

Eh, Corvo, I don't know, nor do I think it even matters. All these worlds are unique with their own history and mechanical development history. That's what makes them work. To try and take that away is silly and just cheapens the individual narratives. Each AU show exists on its own, and that's the point. The whole reason they did that is so that they weren't burdened by all the bullshit in the UC timeline (I love the UC timeline, but that bullshit can be overbearing to the story). They're their own thing and should be evaluated on their own terms. To try and create some false like through Tomino's silly bullshit he slipped into Turn A isn't really needed. Get's far too into fan-fiction territory.

Tomino also didn't want Turn A to be a Gundam show, so I think any ties he threw in were just a big "fuck you" to Sunrise/BV.

I think this is a good way to look at it. Turn A's CC is related to UC, but everything else is just symbolic.

On recommendation from Corvo, I've decided to try ZZ again and push my way through to the end.

I feel like I didn't give it a real chance following my wrapping up of Z. Dismissed it really early on.

Then I ended up watching Turn A down the line and loved it for how weird and insane it was on every possible level.

I think I'm ready. Anime ja nai.

Acid08

Banned
On recommendation from Corvo, I've decided to try ZZ again and push my way through to the end.

I feel like I didn't give it a real chance following my wrapping up of Z. Dismissed it really early on.

Then I ended up watching Turn A down the line and loved it for how weird and insane it was on every possible level.

I think I'm ready. Anime ja nai.

Seriously, it gets really good really quickly after the Moon Moon stuff ~18 episodes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom