• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea what those things say.

Oh god, if they let people vote I bet a bunch of shit from Seed and 00 will show up. Please no.

Hey don't hate on the clearly not a boat, but pretty sure this is a fucking boat Harute Gundam

HARUTE_03.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How is it fucked up? I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Beth Cyra

How is it fucked up? I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Wing Gundam Zero EW's Head Camara is actually violet. If you look at the original a design and movie/OVA's it was violet.

However most of the time the models give you Green stickers for both the V Fin and the Head. It's gone so far with the RG that even in the damn line art it's green on both.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Wing Gundam Zero EW's Head Camara is actually violet. If you look at the original a design and movie/OVA's it was violet.

However most of the time the models give you Green stickers for both the V Fin and the Head. It's gone so far with the RG that even in the damn line art it's green on both.
Ah, I see.

Beth Cyra

Ah, I see.

It's not a big deal if you paint, however when they take true unique things about a design and just turn it so it's like everything else it's annoying.

It's kinda like Sazabi fans always being pissed because they love to ship Sazabi beam weaponry as green despite it being yellow in the movie.

This is like if they turned God Gundam's God Finger green just to match Shining Finger.

yami4ct

I feel like having a UC marathon. Could someone give me a suggested order to watch them? (I'm re watching some so don't worry about that)

Trying to recreate a UC timeline order would be a thankless, but kind of awesome task. It'd probably look like this if I remember my timeline correctly.

Original
08th MS Team (Takes place at the same time as the original)
0080 (Partly OYW time, partly after)
0083 Stardust Memory
Zeta
ZZ
CCA
Unicorn
F91
Read Crossbone?
Victory

Could be a fun way to go.

Acid08

Banned
Trying to recreate a UC timeline order would be a thankless, but kind of awesome task. It'd probably look like this if I remember my timeline correctly.

Original
0083 Stardust Memory
Zeta
ZZ
CCA
Unicorn
F91
Crossbone!!!!!
Victory
Turn A

Fixed.

yami4ct

Turn A is CC, so it wouldn't count as part of a UC marathon (even if it does take place after UC).

I put crossbones is question marks because I'm not sure if he wanted to track down and read a manga in addition to watching shows. Also, as freaking amazing as the crossbones designs all are, not a huge fan of the actual story.

That's not to say it isn't Leagues better than 0083, ZZ, CCA, F91 and Victory as those are all pretty terrible.

Acid08

Banned
Turn A is CC, so it wouldn't count as part of a UC marathon (even if it does take place after UC).

I put crossbones is question marks because I'm not sure if he wanted to track down and read a manga in addition to watching shows. Also, as freaking amazing as the crossbones designs all are, not a huge fan of the actual story.That's not to say it isn't Leagues better than 0083, ZZ, CCA, F91 and Victory as those are all pretty terrible.

lol how about this

ZZ and F91 are better than Zeta and 0079. Zeta is a mad overrated, overly melodramatic retread of everything 0079 introduced. Crossbone is the best thing in UC, it is absolutely necessary to experience if someone were to go through UC stuff. I'll agree on CCA though, that's almost the worst piece of Gundam media I've consumed only to be overtaken by 00.

Haven't seen 08th, 0080, 0083, or Victory so I can't comment on those.

yami4ct

lol how about this

ZZ and F91 are better than Zeta and 0079. Zeta is a mad overrated, overly melodramatic retread of everything 0079 introduced. Crossbone is the best thing in UC, it is absolutely necessary to experience if someone were to go through UC stuff. I'll agree on CCA though, that's almost the worst piece of Gundam media I've consumed only to be overtaken by 00.

Haven't seen 08th, 0080, 0083, or Victory so I can't comment on those.

ZZ we can just disagree on, as people have varying opinions on that, but F91 is probably the second worst UC thing after CCA. It's a TV season squeezed into a short movie with no real good sense of what the conflict is about or why we should care. It's just painful to watch, not to mention the cast is poorly developed crap.

As for Crossbones being the best UC has to offer, it just really isn't to me. Go read Gundam the Origin. It's a far better written, and drawn, manga than Crossbones. It takes everything great about 0079 as well as touches up all the parts that were lacking. An amazing read. The flashback arc in particular is one of the best political drama stories gundam has ever done.

I also cannot agree Zeta is a retread of UC, or that it's overrated, but there's clearly no discussing that one with you.

Acid08

Banned
ZZ we can just disagree on, as people have varying opinions on that, but F91 is probably the second worst UC thing after CCA. It's a TV season squeezed into a short movie with no real good sense of what the conflict is about or why we should care. It's just painful to watch, not to mention the cast is poorly developed crap.

As for Crossbones being the best UC has to offer, it just really isn't to me. Go read Gundam the Origin. It's a far better written, and drawn, manga than Crossbones. It takes everything great about 0079 as well as touches up all the parts that were lacking. An amazing read. The flashback arc in particular is one of the best political drama stories gundam has ever done.

I also cannot agree Zeta is a retread of UC, or that it's overrated, but there's clearly no discussing that one with you.

I am planning to read Origin at some point because the idea of 0079 getting a modern touch up is super appealing. That show is super antiquated but still has great stuff that shines through. As for it being better than Crossbone? I can hardly imagine they're even trying to accomplish anywhere near the same things. As a continuation of F91 it succeeds at everything it wants to do while being incredibly entertaining the entire time.

Have to disagree on F91. Of course it rushes through the story but it really isn't hard to grasp what's happening in it. Also has one of the only worthwhile love stories in all of Gundam. Other than that it's gorgeous, has great mechs, and the little character moments shine through the entire thing. It's like ZZ that way.

Zeta is like hey you guys remember Lalah? Well what if we had, like, six of them in one show!

yami4ct

I am planning to read Origin at some point because the idea of 0079 getting a modern touch up is super appealing. That show is super antiquated but still has great stuff that shines through.[/I]

What I love about The Origin so much is that it's more than just a modernization of 0079. It actively looks at what that series is missing or does poorly and fills in those gaps. At first there's just stuff like "why did the federation have such an amazing MS out of nowhere?" or other small things like that.

What the flashback arc does, though, is take something that should be really dumb and fan-service-y (Hey guys, let's look at Char's past!) and instead turns it into a fascinating portrayal of the decade or so that led up to the OYW. The mechanics of why that conflict even existed are super vague and confusing in the original 0079, but The Origin just answers that question and creates an amazing political thriller out of it to boot. They also humanize the Zabi family in an excellent way, too.

The tweaks that The Origin does to the mechanical history are really cool for a mechanical design nerd like me. Actually seeing how these mobile suits developed, where they came from, and what they were intended for is awesome. Just seeing the Zaku I or the RX-78 prototype in action are moments that just really hit me in the right way. Perfect kind of nerd fiction for me.

The hardcovers Vertical is putting out in the US are super well done and look gorgeous on a shelf together. Cannot wait to finish the series.

Acid08

Banned
What I love about The Origin so much is that it's more than just a modernization of 0079. It actively looks at what that series is missing or does poorly and fills in those gaps. At first there's just stuff like "why did the federation have such an amazing MS out of nowhere?" or other small things like that.

What the flashback arc does, though, is take something that should be really dumb and fan-service-y (Hey guys, let's look at Char's past!) and instead turns it into a fascinating portrayal of the decade or so that led up to the OYW. The mechanics of why that conflict even existed are super vague and confusing in the original 0079, but The Origin just answers that question and creates an amazing political thriller out of it to boot. They also humanize the Zabi family in an excellent way, too.

The tweaks that The Origin does to the mechanical history are really cool for a mechanical design nerd like me. Actually seeing how these mobile suits developed, where they came from, and what they were intended for is awesome. Just seeing the Zaku I or the RX-78 prototype in action are moments that just really hit me in the right way. Perfect kind of nerd fiction for me.

The hardcovers Vertical is putting out in the US are super well done and look gorgeous on a shelf together. Cannot wait to finish the series.

How many volumes are there supposed to be? I see the hardcovers go up to 10 on Amazon(with 7 being the most recent one actually released).

yami4ct

How many volumes are there supposed to be? I see the hardcovers go up to 10 on Amazon(with 7 being the most recent one actually released).

11 is the last one. Given Vertical's preorder schedule, it should be up for order sometime around when volume 9 is released. Maybe will go up with Volume 8, but I don't expect it. 3 months between volumes means the series will be finally finished up September of next year.

If anyone wants to know what the volumes cover, 1-4 are the beginning of the series through the assault on Jaburo, 5-7 are the flashback arc that covers Char's past and the beginnings of the OYW and 8-11 are the rest of the original series.

11 is the last one. Given Vertical's preorder schedule, it should be up for order sometime around when volume 9 is released. Maybe will go up with Volume 8, but I don't expect it. 3 months between volumes means the series will be finally finished up September of next year.

If anyone wants to know what the volumes cover, 1-4 are the beginning of the series through the assault on Jaburo, 5-7 are the flashback arc that covers Char's past and the beginnings of the OYW and 8-11 are the rest of the original series.

Didn't they just release Aizoban volume 12 in Japan, which is the final volume?

This month's volume was fantastic. A highlight of the series.

As for manga. Crossbones is good, but I wish it had focused more on a Jupiter conflict. They set up something kind of cool there and I don't feel they spent enough time on that. I really wanted to see more of the Jupiter colonies. Plus I hate the art style.

The Plot to Assassinate Gihren though. Now there is some good reading.

CorvoSol

Original
0083 Stardust Memory
Zeta
ZZ
CCA
Unicorn
F91
Read Crossbone?
Victory

This is normally how I go about it. I should note that the easiest way to know when to start 08th MS is when Ghiren gives his speech in MSG, which is like, episode 10 or 11, I think.

Original
0083 Stardust Memory
Zeta
ZZ
CCA
Unicorn
F91
Read Crossbone?
Victory

I was thinking of going this route anyway, but of the original msg (which I've seen, don't worry) I was just gonna see the original compilation movies. Plus Gihren's speech closes out the first movie so I can jump into 8th ms then into the next movie

Mobile Suit Gundam The Movie I

The beginning of my epic UC Gundam marathon/semi-rewatch! It's been a long time since I've seen the original 0079 series, and I figure I might as well hurry it along by watching the compilation movies. Mostly all of it is just footage re-purposed from the original series, so not surprisingly some of the animation is pretty dated. That being said, some things hold up REMARKABLY well. The narration is alot like I remember it, mostly explaining the sides and that brief shot of the space colony being dropped during Operation British (yeah, I read the wiki!) Some directing choices really stuck out to me. In the first shot all we hear is what seems to be heavy breathing as the Zaku head slowly rises into frame, it's cyclops-like camera swiveling around. Fantastic way to start. Another small moment I like is Amuro trying to make himself shoot at Char and all you hear is some really convincing heavy breathing. Just great. A small thing I found weird was during Amuro and Char's space battle there's literally a moment where they appear as lines bouncing off each other DBZ style. I had no idea that animation technique was so old. The movie ends right at Gihren's famous Sieg Zeon speech, and at CorvoSol's suggestion I'm going to give the white base a break as I jump into 8th MS Team

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So I made it to the second opening of Gundam Build Fighters...I don't know how I feel about it yet.
Second song>First for me personally
When the OP changed I was super bummed right away and ready for disappointment. By the time it finished for the first time I was in LOVE.

Speaking of that opening, how come the single has two versions... yet barely has any difference? I think the only difference is the first verse having some sfx.

yami4ct

Didn't they just release Aizoban volume 12 in Japan, which is the final volume?

This month's volume was fantastic. A highlight of the series.

As for manga. Crossbones is good, but I wish it had focused more on a Jupiter conflict. They set up something kind of cool there and I don't feel they spent enough time on that. I really wanted to see more of the Jupiter colonies. Plus I hate the art style.

The Plot to Assassinate Gihren though. Now there is some good reading.

Yup, you're right. Wikipedia didn't list it, but there's a Volume 12. Means we'll be finishing December next year.

Interestingly, volume XII is only covering one of the original manga volumes instead of the 2 per the other volumes cover. Wonder what kind of cool extras they've got in there to pad it out?

Yup, you're right. Wikipedia didn't list it, but there's a Volume 12. Means we'll be finishing December next year.

Interestingly, volume XII is only covering one of the original manga volumes instead of the 2 per the other volumes cover. Wonder what kind of cool extras they've got in there to pad it out?

My hope is that there will be some of the post war bonus stories in vol 12

Andrew J.

ZZ Gundam 09

I like Roux Louka, she reminds me of Hime from Brain Powered: Confident, competent, with a take-no-guff attitude, while admittedly being as prone to bouts of illogical or just plain stupid decision-making as any other Tomino character. She hasn't displayed Hime's, uh, romantic aggressiveness yet, but I could definitely see her doing so later.

Glemmy's such a putz, he fits right in with Machinima's sorry crew.

tuffy

Although Right Stuf's Nozomi branch has only done DVDs in the past, the original source expects these to be treated like Gundam Unicorn where Right Stuf only handles the distribution. So I wouldn't rule out Blu Rays just yet.

JCG

Although Right Stuf's Nozomi branch has only done DVDs in the past, the original source expects these to be treated like Gundam Unicorn where Right Stuf only handles the distribution. So I wouldn't rule out Blu Rays just yet.

Right Stuf actually has a distribution deal specifically for the Gundam Unicorn DVDs that is separate from the BD release though, which is another matter, so I wouldn't really assume anything of the sort from that article.

Especially since some of the BDs, particularly Turn A's, are too recent to be realistically released outside of Japan without charging hilarious prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom