• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bombless

Yay, the psycho shard is on now! :3

BzlkdmFCMAA4BV9.jpg

Donkey, you magnificent bastard.

darthbob

Could never get through G Gundam, Turn-A, or Victory.

If it helps, the first series I ever watched all the way through was 00 and I enjoyed it immensely.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

If it helps, the first series I ever watched all the way through was 00 and I enjoyed it immensely.

...............................Well, I can understand not getting through Victory. Turn-A as well. As for the others...........

It took me two weeks for each Gundam series, except Seed and Destiny. Seed took like 2 months, every episode I was filled with dread before watching. Destiny took me just one month, because I buckled down and was determined to get through it.

Keasar

I just experienced the hell of Gunpla. Currently building the RG Zaku II and I realized that two of the pieces holding the tube along one leg had snapped. As I cut it from the frame it flew away in the room and I couldn't find it. Spent around an hour and a half trying to put together a fix using parts from the plastic frame to build a replacement while gluing together the other one that I managed to save. Then I had to cut the spring a little since the metal spring couldn't fit properly anymore and became too long, getting a really weird shape.

Think I made it, but wasn't fun as a beginner to the whole model building thing. :(

yami4ct

I just experienced the hell of Gunpla. Currently building the RG Zaku II and I realized that two of the pieces holding the tube along one leg had snapped. As I cut it from the frame it flew away in the room and I couldn't find it. Spent around an hour and a half trying to put together a fix using parts from the plastic frame to build a replacement while gluing together the other one that I managed to save. Then I had to cut the spring a little since the metal spring couldn't fit properly anymore and became too long, getting a really weird shape.

Think I made it, but wasn't fun as a beginner to the whole model building thing. :(

Learning how to repair your model is 2/3's of GunPla. I can't tell you how many dumb mistakes I've made while building. Key is fixing what you can and covering up what you can't. You got some good experience.

Learning how to repair your model is 2/3's of GunPla. I can't tell you how many dumb mistakes I've made while building. Key is fixing what you can and covering up what you can't. You got some good experience.

Yup, this.

Super glue is going to become your friend.

RangerBAD

What a terrible thing you've been through. Here's a blanket. Come by the fire and eat some milk and cookies.

RELAYER

Banned
Made it to about episode 26 of Gundam Wing so far.

It's certainly not that great still, and lots of cringe, but a lot better than the first 10 episodes.

Cross posting from the G-Reco thread:
Bz1KEdTIIAAf3Oj.jpg

Just came in today. Should be good fun!

I put this kit together at the weekend. If you look online you'll see that people complain it has a lot of stickers, and that's definitely true ._. but what they don't say is that if you apply them neatly, even a straight, unpainted, unlined build looks pretty awesome. Lots of the stickers are texture under clear blue parts which looks pretty good.

Oh, and I had to use a dab of glue to get the clear blue part on the... codpiece... to stay in, so be prepared for that.

Enron

Banned
I put this kit together at the weekend. If you look online you'll see that people complain it has a lot of stickers, and that's definitely true ._. but what they don't say is that if you apply them neatly, even a straight, unpainted, unlined build looks pretty awesome. Lots of the stickers are texture under clear blue parts which looks pretty good.

Oh, and I had to use a dab of glue to get the clear blue part on the... codpiece... to stay in, so be prepared for that.

Stickers for texture under clear parts, dabs of glue, sounds like par for the course for recent Gunpla offerings (RG Exia looking at you)

I have and I will, thank you. Is there an exact reason why Victory is so hated on here?

Complaints range from:

- Odd mecha designs (perticularly on the Zanscare side)
- The odd obsession with wheels.
- Zanscare's hypocritcal ideology.
- Katejina's RPG bikini squad.
- The fact that the Shrike Team deaths are very predictable and are played up a lot.

I am definately missing a few but I would say those are the main ones.

Things I liked:

- The music (OP1, ED1, ED2, the insert song on the last couple of episodes and most of the background music are amazing)
- The V2 Gundam.
- The eyecatches for the ad break. (Love how it's an animation in itself if you piece it together)

Complaints range from:

- Odd mecha designs (perticularly on the Zanscare side)
- The odd obsession with wheels.
- Zanscare's hypocritcal ideology.
- Katejina's RPG bikini squad.
- The fact that the Shrike Team deaths are very predictable and are played up a lot.

I am definately missing a few but I would say those are the main ones.

Things I liked:

- The music (OP1, ED1, ED2, the insert song on the last couple of episodes and most of the background music are amazing)
- The V2 Gundam.
- The eyecatches for the ad break. (Love how it's an animation in itself if you piece it together)
Once you realize how insane Zanscare is a lot of that really does make a lot of sense though...minus the wheel obsession. I mean nobody in control really had any sort of rational thought or sanity. It's been a good couple of years since I've watched the show, but from what I remember their end game was pretty much to
turn everybody on earth into insane vegetables
or something. Expecting the hierarchy there to make rationale sense is kind of weird. Don't get me wrong those are very valid complaints and I was like "come the fuck on Tomino" when Usso's mom
got up close and personal with a Zanscare wheel
. I just like the show the most for showing how grim and crazy war can be and for having my favorite crazy Gundam chick. Nobody fucking out crazies Katejina. Oh yeah you forgot baby Karlemann as a negative. You pretty much have to program your brain to ignore him to finish the show. I'm pretty sure Shrike Team deaths is a drinking game for somebody on here.

I have and I will, thank you. Is there an exact reason why Victory is so hated on here?

I love Victory, but I think I'm the only one. It's not the best show in the franchise, but it's still pretty great. A lot of people exaggerate the negatives.

What I loved most about it was its pastel use of color and the dream-like atmosphere. I do agree that the Zanscare suits are probably the worst designs in the franchise (which is a shame because F91 had awesome designs), but the League Milittaire suits were pretty cool

I love Victory, but I think I'm the only one. It's not the best show in the franchise, but it's still pretty great. A lot of people exaggerate the negatives.

What I loved most about it was its pastel use of color and the dream-like atmosphere. I do agree that the Zanscare suits are probably the worst designs in the franchise (which is a shame because F91 had awesome designs), but the League Milittaire suits were pretty cool
You're not the only one. Minus the disposable Shrike team I liked Victory a lot. Zanscare suits in my opinion had a very insect like quality to them, especially with their eye sensors. Most of the characters...well at least the surviving ones grew and I liked seeing Katejina go from a bit of a pacifist to well...the embodiment of "kill em all Tomino." It's definitely one that I haven't seen enough times. Definitely had a lot of tonal dissonance though. Peaceful serene ass music with nothing but oppressive death strewn about.

RangerBAD

I enjoyed it a lot too. The ending actually hit me pretty good. Most people just need to remember Tomino was really pissed off at Bandai at the time.

I enjoyed it a lot too. The ending actually hit me pretty good. Most people just need to remember Tomino was really pissed off at Bandai at the time.
From what I remember Bandai was getting to involved with production. They altered the airing sequence to make sure the V1 was in the first episode I believe.

Enron

Banned
ive pretty much bought out the remaining stock of it from my local hobbytown. Its really hard to get and they are thinking about just not even bothering with Gunze stuff anymore, so I stocked up. Shit is like 10 bucks a can, so it hurt.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Rewatching Unicorn back to back. It's so much better watching it this way than the ridiculous four year span of its original release.

Although, I still can barely make heads nor tails of what the hell Riddhe is thinking half the time

Ken

Rewatching Unicorn back to back. It's so much better watching it this way than the ridiculous four year span of it's original release.

Although, I still can barely make heads nor tails of what the hell Riddhe is thinking half the time

A PROMISE BETWEEN MEN

PhiLonius

Rewatching Unicorn back to back. It's so much better watching it this way than the ridiculous four year span of its original release.

Sounds crazy to say but I almost miss that wait between episodes. It feels weird not anticipating a new episode or a trailer for one.

Beth Cyra

Finally checked out the Stills from Tri 1 and 2.

G certainly getting some love is good, it was mostly overlooked in Build 1, so some more rep is always good.

Destiny getting a big push is really dumb, Strike and Freedom is one thing but ugh, freaking awful.

Deathscythe Hell Guilty being show as a big bad was a legit shock.,

Opening tells me I rather be sick for a month then watch the show though, I would want to rip apart everyone of these characters.

Probably thinking about Audrey's skirt to be honest. I didn't have a problem with the guy until Ep 7, which was when he made me want to throw my laptop into the wall.

Acid08

Banned
Probably thinking about Audrey's skirt to be honest. I didn't have a problem with the guy until Ep 7, which was when he made me want to throw my laptop into the wall.
Sucks that the best character in the show had to die just so that creepy raper guy could unlock his super secret nootype powers

Such is the Gundam way though.

Sucks that the best character in the show had to die just so that creepy raper guy could unlock his super secret nootype powers

Such is the Gundam way though.
Riddhe wasn't worthy of having Newtype powers, that's almost as bad as making Katz with his Sara fetish and Hathaway with his Quess blue balls a Newtype.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I still haven't finished Build Fighters but there's plenty of G in it.

Maoh's master is rocking a custom version of Master Asia's old Gundam, has the Tequila/Spike Gundam on his wall.

Gundam Maxter, Devil Gundam make appearances.

Aila is closer to an Allenby ripoff than a regular old Cyber Newtype.

Oh and the Build Knuckle is basically a Shining Finger Variant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom