• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

raven777

545224E3380509000C

Metal Build is amazing. The price is very expensive but the quality is outstanding..

RangerBAD

Newtypes, for all the empathic abilities they have, really suck at relationships and connecting with other people. Look at the slew of women Amuro failed with. I think they have a lot of emotional issues, but some of that stems from actual events that traumatized them. A lot of them have mother issues. I think I might end up a basket case if I suddenly started feeling people "die".

Newtypes, for all the empathic abilities they have, really suck at relationships and connecting with other people. Look at the slew of women Amuro failed with. I think they have a lot of emotional issues, but some of that stems from actual events that traumatized them. A lot of them have mother issues. I think I might end up a basket case if I suddenly started feeling people "die".
In the UC world being the parent of a gundam pilot drastically cuts down your life expectancy. From what I remember Kamille and Fa got together and Judau got together with someone as well. It's just really Char and Amuro that couldn't get their shit together. They probably just chased random swans thinking they were Lalah.

RangerBAD

In the UC world being the parent of a gundam pilot drastically cuts down your life expectancy. From what I remember Kamille and Fa got together and Judau got together with someone as well. It's just really Char and Amuro that couldn't get their shit together. They probably just chased random swans thinking they were Lalah.

Kamille was still troubled throughout Zeta, and I think Judau does break the mold. Kamille was a vegetable during 90% of ZZ, even if he did recover.

Kamille was still troubled throughout Zeta, and I think Judau does break the mold. Kamille was a vegetable during 90% of ZZ, even if he did recover.
I wasn't calling Kamille normal cause he sure as hell wasn't. I mainly just referred to his final moments in ZZ. People actually think Kamille was autistic.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Any fellow Canadians know where I can get some cheap sprue cutters? The anime stores are all crazily marked up. I don't even know which store to go.

Enron

Banned
Any fellow Canadians know where I can get some cheap sprue cutters? The anime stores are all crazily marked up. I don't even know which store to go.

get some xurons or the really nice tamiya ones (the tamiya ones are pricey, though).

You'd be surprised, they sell cutters designed for plastic.

I've actually used my electrical wire cutters on Gundam models before, they do a good job.

The first couple of years I did gunpla in college, that's what I used.

NEO0MJ

You'd be surprised, they sell cutters designed for plastic.

I've actually used my electrical wire cutters on Gundam models before, they do a good job.

Our equivilant of home depo doesn't sell anything for plastics I think. I have a cutter from them but I feel that it stresses the plastic too much.

Cut with the clippers a little bit away from the part. Use sand paper and a hoppy knife to get it smooth. That will keep the plastic from discoloring feom stress.

yami4ct

So the next Metal Build is Astray Gold Amatsu Mina? Huh. That's an odd choice. Hasn't even had a MG yet. Honestly, would much rather have one of the regular Astrays, since I dislike pretty much any Gold Amatsu variant, but I'd never be buying a Metal Build anyway so I guess that doesn't matter.

duckroll

Our equivilant of home depo doesn't sell anything for plastics I think. I have a cutter from them but I feel that it stresses the plastic too much.

For sensitive parts don't cut directly at the cut off point right from the runner. Use the cutter to cut the runner itself, so even if it stresses the plastic it doesn't matter. Once it's off the runner, you can cut closer and there'll be less stress. Then you can polish it off with a hobby knife and sandpaper.

Divvy

Got several cutters for ~12 dollars each. They're not the best, but they're a step up from the exacto knives I usually use. No more stabbing myself in the fingers while building gunpla!

My first Gunpla in nearly 14 years. When I was a kid, I just ripped shit out with my hands, breaking pieces and shit without giving any fucks.

Thus, this was kind of a personally victory for me. Hahaha. Still not done yet.

I know I've cursed myself. Prob gonna grab a few more kits this weekend because fuck me.

NEO0MJ

Cut with the clippers a little bit away from the part. Use sand paper and a hoppy knife to get it smooth. That will keep the plastic from discoloring feom stress.

For sensitive parts don't cut directly at the cut off point right from the runner. Use the cutter to cut the runner itself, so even if it stresses the plastic it doesn't matter. Once it's off the runner, you can cut closer and there'll be less stress. Then you can polish it off with a hobby knife and sandpaper.

Oh, I actually have regular plastic cutters now. My point was that not any cutter is that good for the job.

Zerojul

Hello GundamGAF !
I'm on the fence about getting the RE/100 Gundam Mk-III.
1/100th is my scale of choice as I only do MGs. I think Mk-III will never get an MG, and I don't care about inner frames. Plus, it's kinda cheap.
But I'd like the outer detail level to be on par with recent MGs...
What is the word on the Nightingale ? Anyone got it ?

NEO0MJ

Hello GundamGAF !
1/100th is my scale of choice as I only do MGs. I think Mk-III will never get an MG, and I don't care about inner frames. Plus, it's kinda cheap.

Nighengale has some good details, though it's nowhere near as detailed as the Ver.KA Sazabi. They stuck pretty close to the line-art, and I expect the same for the MK-III. Still, it looks detailed enough.

TOY-GDM-2730_02.jpg
TOY-GDM-2730_01.jpg

I'm giving in to peer pressure and buying the G-Self HG model. I need an action base for my office for it, but it looks like Amazon doesn't have any 1/144 clear ones. Sparkle Green? Aqua Blue? This is a serious life or death situation!

Totally showing that to my daughter today after work.

Kwixotik

Random thoughts

I actually liked Lalah. Those psychedelic sequences toward the end of 0079 were great. I'm on episode 33 of Zeta now. Still haven't topcoated my shit because humidity never drops below 90 here...

Wubby

I know it's not Gundam but I'm a bit excited for Bandai to start releasing Star Wars kits. The first few are coming out this month! We know what the box art is going to look like now too. Same build quality as Gundam kits... and same fast release schedule. A lot of my money is headed Bandai's way this holiday season between this and Gundam kits.

Ps is there really no big community thread for Star Wars? Like a general Star Wars thread?

yami4ct

Hello GundamGAF !

Dalong has a full gallery of the Nightingale here. http://dalong.net/review/mg/re01/re01_p.htm.

Everyone that I've heard has gotten it has enjoyed it. It definitely sits between a MG and a HG kit. More parts than a HG 1/100, but less than a MG.

As for detail, it really depends on what your comparing it to. If you're comparing it to your typical MG, than detail wise it's probably on par. Maybe a hair bit less. Comparing it to one of the special MGs like the Sazabi KA, Nu Ka or Hi-Nu, it's much less detail than those.

Zerojul

Dalong has a full gallery of the Nightingale here. http://dalong.net/review/mg/re01/re01_p.htm.

Everyone that I've heard has gotten it has enjoyed it. It definitely sits between a MG and a HG kit. More parts than a HG 1/100, but less than a MG.

As for detail, it really depends on what your comparing it to. If you're comparing it to your typical MG, than detail wise it's probably on par. Maybe a hair bit less. Comparing it to one of the special MGs like the Sazabi KA, Nu Ka or Hi-Nu, it's much less detail than those.
Thanks. The shot with the hi-nu looks pretty good...

I'll be honest, I'm not feeling build fighters try as much as I did the first season or g reko so far. Its certainly entertaining, and competently made. But it hasn't clicked with me yet.

I'll be honest, I'm not feeling build fighters try as much as I did the first season or g reko so far. Its certainly entertaining, and competently made. But it hasn't clicked with me yet.

Build Fighters Try just makes me happy which is all I want from that show. As long as it can deliver that, I'm satisfied.

G-reco sure is stupid but so far it has me interested enough to watch each episode. It's certainly my least favorite show of the currently airing stuff that I'm watching (F/SN, Psycho-Pass 2, GBFTry, G-Reco)

Let us know how the Grimoire build is, I'm super interesting in picking that one up!

The finished product I saw behind the glass looked pretty rad with all the details in. I actually really like the Grimoire's design and how chunky it is. Especially found of the round torso.

Divvy

The Heavyarms MG is super high quality. It's seriously one of the best master grades I've ever built, which is weird because the Deathscythe Hell is probably the worst.

PhiLonius

The Heavyarms MG is super high quality. It's seriously one of the best master grades I've ever built, which is weird because the Deathscythe Hell is probably the worst.

This is true. Still afraid to move or even touch mines because something always seems to fall off.

Zerojul

This is true. Still afraid to move or even touch mines because something always seems to fall off.

As a Deathscythe enthusiast, that's terrible to hear :(
Well, I have the MG in my backlog, guess I'll just have to build it and see for myself. At least now I know what to expect...

Acid08

Banned
Speaking of the Deathscythe, why can't we get an MG of this?

robot-spirits-deathscythe-hell-01.jpg

We got that weird EW version, and it's actually kinda cool looking, but it's just not what I want.

Zerojul

Speaking of the Deathscythe, why can't we get an MG of this?

robot-spirits-deathscythe-hell-01.jpg

We got that weird EW version, and it's actually kinda cool looking, but it's just not what I want.

Seconded. This shot is the Robot Damashii version if I'm not mistaken, I hope it gets the MG treatment sometime (along with some others TV version suits) because it could be gorgeous.
On a somewhat related note, I'd like an MG version of the EW Heavyarms Kai (with a clown face) because why not.

tensuke

Fenice came in today so I built it up (while watching that pathetic display by UGA! Ughh!). Looks great, now I'm itching to do the Rinascita. Gonna detail it more later this week, and have 2 meteor hoppers on the way for a gunpla motorcycle. 🚵 Not sure what colors to use for that yet, but I definitely don't want the weird lime green they come in.

edit: bonus fenice gif, because fenice
MU6VW9M.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom