• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beth Cyra

Fenice came in today so I built it up (while watching that pathetic display by UGA! Ughh!). Looks great, now I'm itching to do the Rinascita. Gonna detail it more later this week, and have 2 meteor hoppers on the way for a gunpla motorcycle. �� Not sure what colors to use for that yet, but I definitely don't want the weird lime green they come in.

edit: bonus fenice gif, because fenice
MU6VW9M.gif
Fenice R will always be a failure in my mind for dropping the monochromatic eyes.

Wing F's head was just a sexy beast.

B.K.

I just bought the two G Gundam Complete Collection sets off Amazon, along with the Gurren Lagann Complete Collection. I'm going to give G Gundam another try. Maybe it will click with me this time.

I just bought the two G Gundam Complete Collection sets off Amazon, along with the Gurren Lagann Complete Collection. I'm going to give G Gundam another try. Maybe it will click with me this time.

Show goes from Super Robot drama with DBZ elements to a hype beast as show.

Zerojul

Yay! Finished the Grimoire. It was a really fast build.

To be honest, it looks good enough, but it feels very hollow and kind of janky compared to the G-Self. Still glad I got it though.

I really like the Grimoire's bulky, simple design for some reason. Really looking forward to a MG of it, if it ever comes. More than a MG G-Self (that I would probably get anyway, though).

NEO0MJ

I really like the Grimoire's bulky, simple design for some reason. Really looking forward to a MG of it, if it ever comes. More than a MG G-Self (that I would probably get anyway, though).

I wouldn't keep my hopes up for an MG Grimoire. Most non-UC grunts don't get MGs. (yes I know RIG is considered part of UC but not the mainline one)

Zerojul

I wouldn't keep my hopes up for an MG Grimoire. Most non-UC grunts don't get MGs. (yes I know RIG is considered part of UC but not the mainline one)

Mmmh, that's true. Only exception that comes to mind is the GN-X...
That's a problem when doing MG only... Much less sets to chose from. That and that bitter deception that comes when a new MG is announced and it happens to be a recolor/alternate version of an already existing set :(

Edit : quick question, has anyone ordered Hi-nu Ver. Ka MG from amiami with SAL/Air Parcel option ? The set is cheaper at Amiami than HLJ but I wouldn't want my shipping option forced to EMS after ordering and cancelling an order with them is not easy...

Acid08

Banned
71LLOQ2kRwL._SL1500_.jpg

*sigh* I really want this kit. Too bad it only seems to go for ~$250. Guess I could always just get a regular PG Zaku and paint it.

Zeta Gundam Ep 27. Mouar is in love with Jerid. In this show love equals getting your life fucked up beyond repair.
Ep 28. Reccoa gets pimp
cock
slapped by Scirroco and loses all rational thought.

tensuke

So Plex uses data from TVDB, which apparently anyone can edit. My brother found this hilarious description for the last episode of Zeta (ep 50 spoilers, obviously)

Emma and Camille, huddled aboard a wrecked ship, have a last heart-to-heart. She urges him to take her life and use it to fight.

Meanwhile, Char is ducking it out with Hamaan and Scirocco inside the barrel of the colony laser. The terrible twosome quickly dismantle Char's Type 100, and the action then shifts to the inner rooms of the super weapon. The trio are joined by Camille and Fa for more pistol-waving, pontificating, philosophizing action; then they all hop back into their mobile suits and hightail it out of the colony laser. Bright, who's been patiently waiting for his pilots to clear the barrel, then activates the colony laser and disintegrates the Titans fleet.

Final duel time! Hamaan and Char end up slugging it out inside another wrecked ship. Char almost wins, despite the fact his mobile suit has about one limb left, but he forgot about the Quebeley's funnels. Hamaan offers him a chance to live and serve her (declined), then Char nails the ship's Secret Self-Destruct Widget with the Type 100's vulcans and blows it up around them. Hamaan escapes.

Meanwhile, Camille discovers how frustrating it is to fight an indestructible mobile suit. Giving up on defeating Scirocco through conventional means, he summons all the friendly newtype ghosts at his disposal (Emma, Four, Rozamia) to hold the cold-blooded manipulator in place (Sara's ghost almost intervenes to help her man, but Katsu's ghost talks her out of it). Transforming the Zeta into wave rider mode, Camille plows into Scirocco's mobile suit and crushes him into pulp (very memorable!). The dying Scirocco fries Camille's teeny brain in revenge.

The end. Fa collects her childhood pal, now with the IQ of a pork cutlet. The Titans are history, the Axis withdraw to pursue world domination, the AEUG are all but wiped out, the colony laser has supposedly blown a gasket. And the torso of the Type 100 drifts by, its cockpit hatch open, empty...?

So Plex uses data from TVDB, which apparently anyone can edit. My brother found this hilarious description for the last episode of Zeta (ep 50 spoilers, obviously)
I would love to see a review like that for the ending to Victory Gundam. I'm freeing up some hard drive space. Is Gundam Age really that big a heap of dog shit or is it at least watchable?

AGE is shit.

I would say make an attempt to watch it just to get it out of the way.
Yeah it's one of the only main series I haven't watched...that and Turn A and Gundam X...I really should get on Turn A. I also haven't seen Build Fighters yet. Haven't really seen anything after OO.

Kwixotik

Ok, that is just awesome. I need more Gundam rap. Gunra.

Well, Tre Capital (son of Xzibit) released this mixtape earlier this year. The cover is pretty cool, but I doubt the actual content has anything to do with Gundam. I haven't listened to it myself.

In other news, I am in the last 10 episodes of Zeta. This show really ramps up. I dig it. I also wonder why 0079 and ZZ are getting rereleases next year, but Zeta isn't.

Well, Tre Capital (son of Xzibit) released this mixtape earlier this year. The cover is pretty cool, but I doubt the actual content has anything to do with Gundam. I haven't listened to it myself.

In other news, I am in the last 10 episodes of Zeta. This show really ramps up. I dig it. I also wonder why 0079 and ZZ are getting rereleases next year, but Zeta isn't.

Zeta got a movie not long ago, maybe that's why?

Alright... time to figure out a good MG kit to do for Thanksgiving break. Might just flip a coin between QanT and Buster Gundam. Any suggestions based on personal experience? Basically, I'd like to know what you think is the best 1/100 kit you've done.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I rarely give up shows when I start them, especially not sci-fi with robbits. I've given up on two gundam shows. 00 Season 2 and AGE. At least with 00 I made it most of the way through while AGE I couldn't make it past the first six episodes. What an awful piece of garbage. Not even remotely entertaining unlike other bad Gundam shows.

Acid08

Banned
I rarely give up shows when I start them, especially not sci-fi with robbits. I've given up on two gundam shows. 00 Season 2 and AGE. At least with 00 I made it most of the way through while AGE I couldn't make it past the first six episodes. What an awful piece of garbage. Not even remotely entertaining unlike other bad Gundam shows.

00 S2 definitely jumped into that territory too. What a boring heap of trash...as opposed to S1 and the movie which were slightly entertaining heaps of trash.

00 S2 definitely jumped into that territory too. What a boring heap of trash...as opposed to S1 and the movie which were slightly entertaining heaps of trash.

OO S1 did well because it didn't try to do too much. Really, not all that much happens in season 1. They have a few mini-arcs that make you feel compelled to watch the next episode. It reminds me of the Berserk Anime. It had around 26 episodes. Upon re-watch you'll find that you really only had a few battles, and they took their time developing the plot in-between without rushing to the next battle at a pace that makes you feel disoriented. It's kind of the opposite of the manga Sidonia no Kishi, where they do like 4 battles in a chapter and you don't know why nor care about the belligerents all that much.

I take it Age is worse than Seed Destiny.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
SEED Destiny is a compelling, maddening, bizarrely watchable moving train wreck. Awful animation mixed with good mobile suit designs, lots of appealing to the lowest common denominator, another weird retreading of a UC story, though not as blatant as the original SEED.

It's bad, but very enjoyably so. I watched it recently and it only took a few weeks.

SEED Destiny is a compelling, maddening, bizarrely watchable moving train wreck. Awful animation mixed with good mobile suit designs, lots of appealing to the lowest common denominator, another weird retreading of a UC story, though not as blatant as the original SEED.

It's bad, but very enjoyably so. I watched it recently and it only took a few weeks.
Seed Destiny is a half ass retelling of Zeta, but without the mass death at the end, though a lot of the Destiny cast really needed to die.

So I want another RG (One that'll be delivered to my dorm and not my home...), and I'm pretty lost with the differences between the Aile Strike, Freedom, Strike Freedom, and Destiny.

I haven't watched Seed yet, which I'm sure would be useful to figure this out. Still, like, which one is the lead Gundam? Are the Strike and Freedom the same thing? Is the Strike Freedom a mix of both? I need help. >.<

glaurung

I haven't watched Seed yet, which I'm sure would be useful to figure this out. Still, like, which one is the lead Gundam? Are the Strike and Freedom the same thing? Is the Strike Freedom a mix of both? I need help. >.<
Aile Strike is where it starts out. Aile Strike is lean, mean and great. Freedom Strike with its crazy winged backpack is a later development.

They also put out a very good updated Aile Strike MG model recently. That was a great build too.

As for RGs, I've built the Aile Strike as an RG too. Great gunpla.

Aile Strike is where it starts out. Aile Strike is lean, mean and great. Freedom Strike with its crazy winged backpack is a later development.

They also put out a very good updated Aile Strike MG model recently. That was a great build too.

As for RGs, I've built the Aile Strike as an RG too. Great gunpla.
So... wait. Is the Freedom Gundam a different thing than the Freedom Strike? Where does the Destiny Gundam fit in this whole thing?

The thing is, I don't want to build a Strike Gundam for a while after doing the Build Strike.

NEO0MJ

So... wait. Is the Freedom Gundam a different thing than the Freedom Strike? Where does the Destiny Gundam fit in this whole thing?

The thing is, I don't want to build a Strike Gundam for a while after doing the Build Strike.

Freedom is different from Strike Freedom. The Freedom was the protag's main mobile suit at the end of Seed. In the show Seed Destiny it gets an upgrade and is called the Strike Freedom. Biggest difference vetween them is the backpack. Freedom housed four cannons in its backpack while the Strike Freedom had funnels instead.

Freedom on the left, Strike Freedom on the right.

Freedom is different from Strike Freedom. The Freedom was the protag's main mobile suit at the end of Seed. In the show Seed Destiny it gets an upgrade and is called the Strike Freedom. Biggest difference vetween them is the backpack. Freedom housed four cannons in its backpack while the Strike Freedom had funnels instead.

Freedom on the left, Strike Freedom on the right.
Wow, OK. That makes a lot more sense. lol
Thanks for clearing that up. So, I'm assuming that building the RG Strike Freedom would be like building the MG Build Strike at a smaller scale? How about the Destiny Gundam? Is that one a decent build?

ultron87

I've really been enjoying putting together the HGUC Sinanju. I was really surprised by the amount of little gold stickers it comes with for the trim. It also comes with all the weapons. This is also the first Zeon suit I've done so I like how bulky it feels compared to the Gundams.

Enron

Banned
I've really been enjoying putting together the HGUC Sinanju. I was really surprised by the amount of little gold stickers it comes with for the trim. It also comes with all the weapons. This is also the first Zeon suit I've done so I like how bulky it feels compared to the Gundams.

I too was also surprised by the gold stickers....but not pleasantly so.

Enron

Banned
That's the thing keeping me from getting the MG Sinanju. All those damn ugly stickers

....there's a solution for that you know.

PAINT THAT MOFO

The gold detail painting is not hard....just....time consuming! Look back in this thread for my links on how to do it.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
....there's a solution for that you know.

PAINT THAT MOFO

The gold detail painting is not hard....just....time consuming! Look back in this thread for my links on how to do it.

That is true. I have been meaning to get into painting my models and the Sinanju is a good starting point considering there's not many colours to deal with.

Kwixotik

Zeta got a movie not long ago, maybe that's why?

Alright... time to figure out a good MG kit to do for Thanksgiving break. Might just flip a coin between QanT and Buster Gundam. Any suggestions based on personal experience? Basically, I'd like to know what you think is the best 1/100 kit you've done.

I'm not sure if this question was aimed at me or not, but I've only done HG and RG kits.

Speaking of which, decals on the RG Freedom kit are so difficult and time-consuming. Also I'm absolutely no good at doing the water transfer. I stopped after a couple because I didn't want the kit to look like shit. If anybody has any tips, I'd appreciate them.

I'm not sure if this question was aimed at me or not, but I've only done HG and RG kits.

Speaking of which, decals on the RG Freedom kit are so difficult and time-consuming. Also I'm absolutely no good at doing the water transfer. I stopped after a couple because I didn't want the kit to look like shit. If anybody has any tips, I'd appreciate them.

It is a pain, but if you can do it, it enhances the kit so much. Mine were far from perfect, but I'm glad I did it. My biggest problem with RG Freedom is the awful waist connection and, of course, balance issues that come with any heavy backpack unit. I was able to get this one cool pose:

http://i.imgur.com/GaQHQgE.jpg

Btw, I wasn't directing it at you. I'm going with the Buster Gundam, I've decided.

Using my Note 4 camera has made me reconsider my building methods. (Too many plastic strain marks...) Are there any good guides on how to use the X-Acto knives to shave off the excess nubs correctly? I already have a kit of blades that I used for other projects, so I just need to learn technique. >.>

I was so happy with the way the subtle lines came out.
They do need another pass now, though.
But DAMN are there so many marks! :(

RangerBAD

It is a pain, but if you can do it, it enhances the kit so much. Mine were far from perfect, but I'm glad I did it. My biggest problem with RG Freedom is the awful waist connection and, of course, balance issues that come with any heavy backpack unit. I was able to get this one cool pose:

http://i.imgur.com/GaQHQgE.jpg

Btw, I wasn't directing it at you. I'm going with the Buster Gundam, I've decided.

Silly diploma, make way for Freedom.

xillyriax

Using my Note 4 camera has made me reconsider my building methods. (Too many plastic strain marks...) Are there any good guides on how to use the X-Acto knives to shave off the excess nubs correctly? I already have a kit of blades that I used for other projects, so I just need to learn technique. >.>

I was so happy with the way the subtle lines came out.
They do need another pass now, though.
But DAMN are there so many marks! :(
http://www.ghostofzeon.com/diy/assembly/removingparts.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom