• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
He'd just forget to mention the Destiny Plan. Kira was like, "Oh, no you didn't, Durandal." when he revealed his master plan.

Even before Durandal reveal the Destiny plan, Kira & friends was just hiding in the shadow like some kind of secret cult waiting for a black & white reason to fight.

Kira even designed it gold with angel wing particle effects.

I liked the beginning of Seed where both sides are asshole, and have a reason to exterminate the other side. There are no right "side" in war, but nooo, screw gray area that's too hard to write, just give the pop star an army.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Even before Durandal reveal the Destiny plan, Kira & friends was just hiding in the shadow like some kind of secret cult waiting for a black & white reason to fight.

I liked the beginning of Seed where both sides are asshole, and have a reason to exterminate the other side. There are no right "side" in war, but nooo, screw gray area that's too hard to write, just give the pop star an army.

I used to think the beginning of SEED was good at showing a two sided conflict...but actually if you look at it the Earth Federation is behind every atrocity and drove the Coordinators into the war by nuking the colonies. Their response isn't to go nuclear but rather deprive the federation of the ability to do so again, and then go on the offensive.

Until Athrun's old man assumes power and then they become all genocidal, but that's relatively late in the tale.

RangerBAD

It was funny that he was doing something similar to what pissed him off originally.

Athrun didn't even really like real Lacus. He sure as shit has nothing for fake Lacus,

The crazy thing about SEED DESTINY is that Durandal's plan without fake Lacus is PRETTY MUCH PERFECT. Kira and Lacus basically say outright that without the attempt on her life they would have joined him and his war against the merchants of death/illuminati/LOGOS.
I think real Lacus is a friend to Athrun since he did look to her for advice. Meer was just insane. Must have freaked him the hell out with how much of a stalker she was. Kind of like with Lunamaria. He did not want to get under that skirt.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
In the original MSG, another show I watched recently, it's clear that most of the Feddies being evil is retconned in at a later date and the Zeons are pretty much just boilerplate space Nazis. Yeah, they displaced some poors from the earth. Yeah, they've got some notions of using this conflict to produce Newtypes to beat the space Nazis. Nothing even close to what they end up getting up to in the UC.

SEED skips all that. The Earth Federation is made up primarily of three Orwellian megastates, lead by a cabal of extremely prejudiced against genetic engineering fuckwads (who are in turn lead by a shadowy cabal of rich arm merchants and power brokers) who drove the coordinators into space through various violent retaliations and unfair legislative means, then nuked them without provocation.

I think real Lacus is a friend to Athrun since he did look to her for advice. Meer was just insane. Must have freaked him the hell out with how much of a stalker she was. Kind of like with Lunamaria. He did not want to get under that skirt.

They were clearly friends but the relationship was loveless.

Athrun has too many girls going after him in DESTINY. It's frankly hilarious.

Starts with Kira's sister. Then Lunamaria makes calf eyes at him, which draws her sister in, who gets jealous of Meer who is assigned to him... They should have had Stella fall for him as well.

Kwixotik

I had previously only read about SEED on GAF and /m/, so I was shocked to find out how popular and critically acclaimed the series is reading elsewhere (ie Google, Wikipedia) today.

Starts with Kira's sister. Then Lunamaria makes calf eyes at him, which draws her sister in, who gets jealous of Meer who is assigned to him... They should have had Stella fall for him as well.

Holy crap, I just realized why Athrun was a complete twit in SEED Destiny. He became a Harem protagonist! This even extends to him picking the worst girl! It all makes sense now...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Holy crap, I just realized why Athrun was a complete twit in SEED Destiny. He became a Harem protagonist! This even extends to him picking the worst girl! It all makes sense now...

The worst would have been Luna, who is proven to be a nutjob.

Well, the real worst would be Stella but she didn't get involved in the harem.

EDIT:

Ok let's rank these options.

Meyrin is the only normal person among them.
Kagali has issues, like not telling him about her arranged marriage and that she basically forgets her balls for 3/4s of the series.
Meer is crazy, but her craziness makes sense and she almost sees the light at the end.
Lunamaria seems nice and normal and they have similar interests...but then she "falls in love" with the guy who probably, almost certainly killed her sister and said as much about five minutes after doing it.

Shinn can keep that half ass Four Murasame. At least Four acted sane when she wasn't in the Psyco Gundam. You're right though it almost was like an Athrun harem show.
The worst would have been Luna, who is proven to be a nutjob.

Well, the real worst would be Stella but she didn't get involved in the harem.

EDIT:

Ok let's rank these options.

Meyrin is the only normal person among them.
Kagali has issues, like not telling him about her arranged marriage and that she basically forgets her balls for 3/4s of the series.
Meer is crazy, but her craziness makes sense and she almost sees the light at the end.
Lunamaria seems nice and normal and they have similar interests...but then she "falls in love" with the guy who probably, almost certainly killed her sister and said as much about five minutes after doing it.
Just the fact that Lunamaria had no problem shacking up with the guy that almost killed her sister and the guy she previously wanted to bone proves how insane she is. She probably had an Athrun shrine that she "prayed" to every night.

This one got me
But it's true. Dude had the biggest harem of the franchise I think. That dude had so many newtype chicks fighting for him, granted they were fucking insane. I wouldn't want Reccoa fighting for me. She'd probably defect because I wasn't recognizing her femininity
wasn't hitting her hard enough.

While we're on the subject of SEED Destiny girls, what was the point of Meer's character? Besides boobs It felt like she was a rejected Macross character concept that was conjured up by a bad fanfic writer.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Shinn can keep that half ass Four Murasame. At least Four acted sane when she wasn't in the Psyco Gundam. You're right though it almost was like an Athrun harem show.

Just the fact that Lunamaria had no problem shacking up with the guy that almost killed her sister and the guy she previously wanted to bone proves how insane she is. She probably had an Athrun shrine that she "prayed" to every night.

Instantly Shinn becomes her protector. I get having a mental break after your sister is condemned as a traitor and killed during her escape...but then falling in love with the one who killed her five minutes after learning about it. Come on, SEED DESTINY, you're better than that (no it's not)

At least she gets to witness how awful her decision was when Athrun does come back and schools her knight in shining armor.

EDIT:

While we're on the subject of SEED Destiny girls, what was the point of Meer's character? Besides boobs It seemed like she was a rejected Macross character concept that was conjured up by a bad fanfic writer.

Breasts. Plus Lacus by necessity needed to be off screen a for half of the show because of how the plot works and this is a way to give the actress more work. Plus it is basically the only thing pointing to Durandal being a shady nutjob in the first 3/4 of the series. Plus most of the Meer scenes with Athrun are legit funny.

But it's true. Dude had the biggest harem of the franchise I think. That dude had so many newtype chicks fighting for him, granted they were fucking insane. I wouldn't want Reccoa fighting for me. She'd probably defect because I wasn't recognizing her femininity
wasn't hitting her hard enough.

Oh I know that, I was just giggling at "Poptarts Sriracha"

Instantly Shinn becomes her protector. I get having a mental break after your sister is condemned as a traitor and killed during her escape...but then falling in love with the one who killed her five minutes after learning about it. Come on, SEED DESTINY, you're better than that (no it's not)

At least she gets to witness how awful her decision was when Athrun does come back and schools her knight in shining armor.
I love all the moments when Shinn gets his shit kicked in. He's always feeling himself hard too, then Athrun comes in and curb stomps the shit out of him. My favorite is when both Kira and Athrun come back and he has the dumbest fucking look on his face. Then bandaged up Athrun castrates him and he doesn't even have the balls to tell Lunamaria that Athrun survived.
Oh I know that, I was just giggling at "Poptarts Sriracha"
My mental joke names for him are "Pimptimus" and "Pap smear."

- J - D -

My first gundam model kit ever. My niece and nephew are addicted to them so I thought I'd be the cool uncle and get into it as well.

I don't even know which one this is supposed to be (will fix that with some googling), I just thought the color scheme looked cool and stealthy.

Zg4th1g.jpg

We'll see how it goes. Question, should I paint these? Spray or brush?

Acid08

Banned
My first gundam model kit ever. My niece and nephew are addicted to them so I thought I'd be the cool uncle and get into it as well.

I don't even know which one this is supposed to be (will fix that with some googling), I just thought the color scheme looked cool and stealthy.

We'll see how it goes. Question, should I paint these? Spray or brush?

That's the Gundam Mk. II Titans Version from Zeta Gundam. Basically it's a bad guys suit. Gundam models come pre-molded in the appropriate colors so it's rarely necessary to paint them. It's a Real Grade model which means it'll be really detailed already and come with tons of decals you can stick on. Real Grade kits are 1/144 scale but have lots and lots of very tiny pieces. Can be difficult to build.

- J - D -

^ Love that color scheme! :D

I think so too!

That's the Gundam Mk. II Titans Version from Zeta Gundam. Basically it's a bad guys suit. Gundam models come pre-molded in the appropriate colors so it's rarely necessary to paint them. It's a Real Grade model which means it'll be really detailed already and come with tons of decals you can stick on. Real Grade kits are 1/144 scale but have lots and lots of very tiny pieces. Can be difficult to build.

I like a good challenge. It's interesting that this is a villain suit. I didn't know that. I guess I should've since I know enough about Gundam to know that most of the main hero ones contain a good amount of white armor. I just grabbed this off the shelf of our local Japanese hobby store.

Acid08

Banned
I think so too!

I like a good challenge. It's interesting that this is a villain suit. I didn't know that. I guess I should've since I know enough about Gundam to know that most of the main hero ones contain a good amount of white armor. I just grabbed this off the shelf of our local Japanese hobby store.

Here's the box for the good guys version of that same suit:

- J - D -

Here's the box for the good guys version of that same suit:

I don't think I saw that one. Depending on how this Titans one turns out I might have to pick up the good guy version as well, though I saw an RG for the original Gundam as well. I always wanted to build one of those, but it didn't look like how I remembered it from long ago. The RG one was really detailed. Maybe over detailed but that's just me.

So I picked up Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 as my first Dynasty Warriors game and it is AMAZING.
Wow, how could I have ignored this genre for so long?! Go in, capture areas, capture base, try not to die, beat boss. Repetitive, but satisfying. Especially when using the ZZ Gundam with a speed boost~
The story is terrible so far, with nothing making any sense, but the gameplay and the franchise implementation makes it great. The voice acting goes from perfect (Amuro) to teeeeerrible (Kamille), and that's fine too.
Can't believe I waited so long to pick it up. lol

So I picked up Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 as my first Dynasty Warriors game and it is AMAZING.
Wow, how could I have ignored this genre for so long?! Go in, capture areas, capture base, try not to die, beat boss. Repetitive, but satisfying. Especially when using the ZZ Gundam with a speed boost~
The story is terrible so far, with nothing making any sense, but the gameplay and the franchise implementation makes it great. The voice acting goes from perfect (Amuro) to teeeeerrible (Kamille), and that's fine too.
I don't think Kamille is ever going to get a good English voice actor.

Why not play with the JP Voices? Also good luck with the last few missions lol.

DemiMatt

Hey Gundam Gaf!

I used to build alot of models as a youth and want to build a couple. I don't watch the show anymore, and I built all the Gundam Wing & Endless Waltz ones.

Currently I'm wondering what you think may be the coolest / interesting builds.

Currently I'm thinking of . . .

71E6ULHzgjL._SL1500_.jpg

71sV7gUH-xL._SL1500_.jpg

71smV1iuTYL._SL1332_.jpg

Acid08

Banned
Which Unicorn is recommended? I kinda want to get that HD Color version with the MS cage but eh...would rather have an Awakening over a Destroy. The options for Awakening seem slim though.

NEO0MJ

Which Unicorn is recommended? I kinda want to get that HD Color version with the MS cage but eh...would rather have an Awakening over a Destroy. The options for Awakening seem slim though.

They're all the same mold so it doesn't really matter. Only difference is that the ones that came after the ver.ka include an extra part that makes the kit a bit more stable.

Hey Gundam Gaf!

I used to build alot of models as a youth and want to build a couple. I don't watch the show anymore, and I built all the Gundam Wing & Endless Waltz ones.

I like the red Musha Gundam the most out of these.

NEO0MJ

They're all the same mold so it doesn't really matter. Only difference is that the ones that came after the ver.ka include an extra part that makes the kit a bit more stable.

Hey Gundam Gaf!

I like the red Musha Gundam the most out of these.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Mg unicorn was a stability and durability nightmare. Wait for PG!

MG Heavyarms was amazing but lately I've just really enjoyed building the RG models, maybe even moreso than the MGs. RG Exia was great, despite reported leg issues a certain other Gaffer might have had.

DemiMatt

Mg unicorn was a stability and durability nightmare. Wait for PG!

MG Heavyarms was amazing but lately I've just really enjoyed building the RG models, maybe even moreso than the MGs. RG Exia was great, despite reported leg issues a certain other Gaffer might have had.

What are the differences between the original Gundam Wing models released in during Gundam Wing versus these new MG ones?

Also I think I may go for the Red Musha, he definitely looks the best. Thank you!

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Hey Gundam Gaf!

Get some metallic paint and build the Unicorn, it will be fun painting all the barrel and guns.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
What are the differences between the original Gundam Wing models released in during Gundam Wing versus these new MG ones?

Also I think I may go for the Red Musha, he definitely looks the best. Thank you!

They are faaar faaaaar inferior in quality to the MGs with the exception of the Deathscythe Hell. That MG is a piece of trash. The old Wing models were no grade and can't compare to the level of detail of the new kits.

Zeta Gundam Ep 29:
Kamille can act like he doesn't want Fa all he wants, but we all know he wants her...perving on her while she's watching Shinta and Qum. God the Titans are assholes.
Ep 30:
Another female dies. Is Jerid supposed to be a newtype?
Ep 31:
Sarah's Bird run moment is nowhere near as cute as Four's.
Ep 32:
Yazan gets his beloved violation suit and Haman makes her epic entrance. I think we're at the part of the show where Kamille stops getting smacked all the damn time now, finally.

Jomjom

Banned
Wow... G-System, SMS and J-Bo Hobby Stores were amazing in Hong Kong. Sad to be leaving Hong Kong today, but I picked up a 1/144 Xi Gundam and SD VF-1S garage kit. Cant wait to get working on them when I get home. If anyone here visits HK definitely make your way to as many of the hobby shops as you can! So freaking amazing.

RangerBAD

Wow... G-System, SMS and J-Bo Hobby Stores were amazing in Hong Kong. Sad to be leaving Hong Kong today, but I picked up a 1/144 Xi Gundam and SD VF-1S garage kit. Cant wait to get working on them when I get home. If anyone here visits HK definitely make your way to as many of the hobby shops as you can! So freaking amazing.

That Macross shoutout. Mmhmm.

RangerBAD

Wait so their in canon name was Valkyries? I can never remember and yes I grew up on watching Robotech. I still need to watch Macross 7 and Frontier.

Or variable fighters thus VF. The VF-1 was called Valkyrie, but the name stuck for all variable fighters. You can call them valkyries in place of variable fighter is what I mean.

You need to watch Genesis Climber MOSPEADA and Super Dimension Calvary Southern Cross to graduate from Robotech.

Rick Hunter>>>>>

tumblr_lm6ddrTdhY1qdq5u6.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom