• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

This sounds good, I'll give it a read.

Just further proof that the CCA we got is bad ;)

Warning, it still has Quess. Not sure if she'll be as insufferable as she is in the original, but they didn't instantly drop a meteor on her head.

It also has Bright with a full beard, so maybe that balances it all out.

Acid08

Banned
Warning, it still has Quess. Not sure if she'll be as insufferable as she is in the original, but they didn't instantly drop a meteor on her head.

It also has Bright with a full beard, so maybe that balances it all out.

would be a much better arc for her imo

yami4ct

As much as I hate Hathaway, I do hope they do a manga adaptation of Hathaway's Flash after Beltorchika's Children.

Heck, even if the story is terrible, I'd love to see an OVA adaptation of both Hathaway's Flash and Beltorchika's Children. The mecha designs in both are soooo good.

RangerBAD

Heck, even if the story is terrible, I'd love to see an OVA adaptation of both Hathaway's Flash and Beltorchika's Children. The mecha designs in both are soooo good.

I think all we can hope for are manga adaptations. :/ Origin is on the schedule for a number of years and I'd prefer a Crossbone Gundam OAV.

yami4ct

I think all we can hope for are manga adaptations. :/ Origin is on the schedule for a number of years and I'd prefer a Crossbone Gundam OAV.

Maybe. We'll see. Could see Beltorchika being done after Origin to keep the UC train rolling. Hathaway's Flash has almost zero chance. I also have a kind of strange feeling they might eventually retcon everything F91 onwards out of existence so they can continue the UC timeline from Unicorn, so that'd kill any chance of Crossbone. Just some weird speculation on my part, obviously, but wouldn't put it past them.

CorvoSol

Putting aside the fact that I don't like Beltorchika, the real problem I have with Beltorchika's Children is I'm not a fan of the Nightingale. Hi Nu is good, but the Nightingale ain't my style.

Putting aside the fact that I don't like Beltorchika, the real problem I have with Beltorchika's Children is I'm not a fan of the Nightingale. Hi Nu is good, but the Nightingale ain't my style.

Yeah I agree. The Sazabi just looks so much better. The Nightingale doesn't look as if it is maneuverable at all.

Maybe. We'll see. Could see Beltorchika being done after Origin to keep the UC train rolling. Hathaway's Flash has almost zero chance. I also have a kind of strange feeling they might eventually retcon everything F91 onwards out of existence so they can continue the UC timeline from Unicorn, so that'd kill any chance of Crossbone. Just some weird speculation on my part, obviously, but wouldn't put it past them.

They wont do beltorchikas children. Its too similar to chars counterattack, which despite its detractors is viewed as a classic

yami4ct

They wont do beltorchikas children. Its too similar to chars counterattack, which despite its detractors is viewed as a classic

So is the original 0079 (even more so), yet we're getting The Origin. Despite the fact that it's just the flashback being adapted currently, they most certainly will do the rest if the first part does well. No reason to think they wouldn't adapt a similar "reimagining", especially one with hugely iconic mech designs like Beltorchika's Children.

yami4ct

I wouldnt get my hopes up too much for a complete adaptation of the origin. There is no evidence suggesting that is the case.

If The Origin does near as well as Unicorn, do you really think they'll stop? Also think about how much cash a full adaptation would bring in, both through the series and product sales. Yet another excuse to re-do all the 0079 kits in all the major scales is something Bandai won't pass up. As long as Origin doesn't bomb, it seems far more likely than not they'll spring into a full adaptation.

Zerojul

If The Origin does near as well as Unicorn, do you really think they'll stop? Also think about how much cash a full adaptation would bring in, both through the series and product sales. Yet another excuse to re-do all the 0079 kits in all the major scales is something Bandai won't pass up. As long as Origin doesn't bomb, it seems far more likely than not they'll spring into a full adaptation.

I don't see why it would bomb. In fact I think it could be a new golden goose for Bandai. 0079's popularity seems to be still strong. I was surprised when I found out that the OVA would only cover the flashback part. It felt to me they were testing the waters, but I think the commercial outcome will be an obvious success.
At least I hope so, I want my claw-hand MG Guncannon. And a modern adaptation of the one-year war could be awesome.

yami4ct

I don't see why it would bomb. In fact I think it could be a new golden goose for Bandai. 0079's popularity seems to be still strong. I was surprised when I found out that the OVA would only cover the flashback part. It felt to me they were testing the waters, but I think the commercial outcome will be an obvious success.
At least I hope so, I want my claw-hand MG Guncannon. And a modern adaptation of the one-year war could be awesome.

The only reason it could bomb is because it's not a traditional Gundam series. If they're adapting what they say they're adapting, the RX-78 will barely show up. CG mechs could be off-putting to many fans, too. A weird origin story that partially retcons some of the original has some chance to fail, even if the source material is amazing. It almost assuredly won't, but there's a small chance.

I for one wouldn't mind! The HG Origin Zaku and Guntank look great.

I really want The Origin's Guntank and Guncannon to get MGs. Would be a great way to finally get a new Guncannon. Also adore the RX-78's redesign. Sure, we don't need another MG RX-78, but this would be the only other one I'd really want. Especially so if they include option parts for all the little tweaks it gets through the course of the war.

Well, this is how CCA was intended to be, so it's not surprising it goes over well with CCA detractors. I'm waiting for Hi-Nu to appear at this point. I expected to see it in Volume 1 with a cover like this:

Also, Bright has that mustache. The Tom Selleck of the UC.

Edit: Oh yeah, Bright has a beard in it. Still a boss.

This is why I was saying CCA would have worked better as a short series, or an OVA like Unicorn

CorvoSol

Gundam X 30

Hold on. Let me get this straight. The entire motivation for The Frost Brothers is that "Science gave us a bad grade because we couldn't use our magic incest telepathy to turn the space laser on!"? And for this reason alone, these incredibly awful villains have set out on a war against the Federation and against Newtypes? And that somehow the Federation hasn't noticed they're dirty rotten traitors even though they've betrayed the Federation like, three times now?

These are the stupidest villains in the entire franchise. Fucking Zanscare had better writing than this shit.

I really want The Origin's Guntank and Guncannon to get MGs. Would be a great way to finally get a new Guncannon. Also adore the RX-78's redesign. Sure, we don't need another MG RX-78, but this would be the only other one I'd really want. Especially so if they include option parts for all the little tweaks it gets through the course of the war.
Which one is that one? I've only seen the new Zaku HG, which is going to look so good next to my G30th RX-78-2~

So, my Nu Gundoom will be here on Tuesday with the Double X that I plan to give away as a gift for a roommate. He actually messed up and told me by accident that he got me the Crossbone Maoh for Christmas, which is freaking excellent. Now, to see what my girlfriend and other roommates get me. All of them told me I'll be getting Gunpla. >.<

Oh, and I finished G Gundam and it's amazing and fantastic until the end. (The last episode is kinda cute, but dumb.)

Jomjom

Banned
Reading the manga adaptation of Beltorchika's Children. A few chapters in, I like how it's fixing some of the issues I had with CCA. Amuro's characterization is much more consistent with the rest of the series than the original film. Dialogue is still awful, and I do think it's the fault of the original writer and not the translation. Sort of expected from Tomino, so I can't say I'm surprised. It's hilariously over the top with its violence to a point that I'm not sure why it's there.

On the really positive note, it explains the reason Char is able to start a revolution in the colonies super well. There's details about the treatment of the defeated space colonies that I think CCA implied, but did not explicitly state. Really helps to have them there. Also, the redesigns of the mech are so cool and chunky. Glad I'm getting the MG Hi-Nu, as I'm loving that design. Makes that RE 1/100 Nightingale super tempting as well.

BC (or Hi-Streamer) were supposed to be the manga actually adapted. CC is what happened because of Bandai/Sunrise's stupid meddling.

As much as I hate Hathaway, I do hope they do a manga adaptation of Hathaway's Flash after Beltorchika's Children.

But if you hate Hathaway you should love Hathaway's Flash because he really gets his due.

RangerBAD

BC (or Hi-Streamer) were supposed to be the manga actually adapted. CC is what happened because of Bandai/Sunrise's stupid meddling.

But if you hate Hathaway you should love Hathaway's Flash because he really gets his due.

Yeah, he finally eats it, but I have to tolerate him until then.

yami4ct

Which one is that one? I've only seen the new Zaku HG, which is going to look so good next to my G30th RX-78-2~

There isn't a HG of it announced yet (mainly because I highly doubt the RX-78 will be in the first Origin OVA, if they're doing a straight adaptation). There is a GFF Metal Composite figure. You can check out a review of that to get an idea of the design shifts.

http://www.collectiondx.com/toy_review/2011/gundam_origin_rx7802

Here are a couple photos.

PC011838.jpg

PC011879.jpg

PC011835.jpg

Some of the major differences:

Lots more panel details. Overall a much more mechanical feel.

Tons of option parts. The suit actually gets upgraded several times over the course of the manga. Small things like a chest vent getting changed out for another vulcan or boosters added to the knees for space combat. Also option parts like a beam cannon that can mount in the place of a saber.

A completely redesigned core fighter. I assume some will hate it's more "chibi" design, but I really dig it.

All these changes help make that version of the RX-78 the only one I really like. The whole idea of it sort of "evolving" over the course of the war, either through upgrades or simply battlefield repairs, is super cool and I hope to see a future gundam series do something like it. Also love how it incorporates the Full Armor style shoulder cannon as an option part.

Acid08

Banned
Got my RD Crossbone X-2! It's a pretty cool figure though it kinda cemented for me the fact that I like Gunpla waaaaaaaaay more. It's well painted and looks nice but lacks a lot of posability and I miss the "I made this" feeling you get after finishing a model. Would definitely be disappointed if I had paid full price but $17 with free shipping ain't bad, I'm happy with it.

Here's a quick, shitty picture I snapped:

Enron

Banned
Got my RD Crossbone X-2! It's a pretty cool figure though it kinda cemented for me the fact that I like Gunpla waaaaaaaaay more. It's well painted and looks nice but lacks a lot of posability and I miss the "I made this" feeling you get after finishing a model. Would definitely be disappointed if I had paid full price but $17 with free shipping ain't bad, I'm happy with it.

Lack of poseability? what? RDs are crazy poseable. Get that shit on a stand, yo! Was able to get a pretty awesome pose out of the Norn.

14221388603_27c7e5f644_b.jpg

14153827534_a555fb8423_b.jpg

Acid08

Banned
Lack of poseability? what? RDs are crazy poseable. Get that shit on a stand, yo!

haha yeah, I should get a stand for it at some point. That might solve a lot of the posability issues because right now it's not great. Especially since it's so back heavy with the thrusters.

CorvoSol

I have four RDs: ARX-7, ARX-8, Vox Aura and the Strike Freedom.

The Strike Freedom has serious balance issues, but then again it has six fucking wings, so I guess that's normal.

I would miss the I made this feeling too. Man I really want to like the cross bone gundams but the big dumb skull always kills it for me. I love the crest but the sculpted skull... shudder

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You don't choose the chest skull life.

The chest skull life chooses you.

The Church of Tobia has arrived. :3

I really like this picture of it.
I think that's the only picture of it I like. Hasegawa's art doesn't lend well to it for some reason. Seems too much all over the place, granted it's an unstable MS.

Crossbone Ghost on the other hand looks boss as fuck. I wonder if Crossbone Maoh's color scheme is a nod to Ghost's.

On the subject of Robot Damashiis, I got my donkeybro the GM Sniper RD for Christmas. It's all about the RD life.

yami4ct

Just got my first big bag of accessories to stock up for all my December projects. Hadn't bought Gundam Markers since they released the pour type, so I grabbed a bunch of those and an Action Base 2 for my RG WZC.

Thanks for pointing out the existence of the Pour Type to me, guys. If I hadn't seen it here, I'd probably never see them. A panel wash in a pen? Do want.

Acid08

Banned
Just got my first big bag of accessories to stock up for all my December projects. Hadn't bought Gundam Markers since they released the pour type, so I grabbed a bunch of those and an Action Base 2 for my RG WZC.

Thanks for pointing out the existence of the Pour Type to me, guys. If I hadn't seen it here, I'd probably never see them. A panel wash in a pen? Do want.

Yeah, the pour type markers have made panel lining way easier for me. I still use the regular markers for certain lines but the pour types take care of most of them.

yami4ct

Yeah, the pour type markers have made panel lining way easier for me. I still use the regular markers for certain lines but the pour types take care of most of them.

Yeah, I've been doing panel washes on all my painted kits. The fit and finish you get with them is so much cleaner than trying to line with a maker or pen. It's just such a hassle to do as it normally requires an extra clear coat and different type of paint. So glad they made a pen that can do that job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom