• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I had that sort of restraint.
My roommate's girlfriend tried to stop me from checking my mail so I would focus on my studies.
She tried, dammit. She tried.
The box is PACKED with runners, the funnels look beautiful, and the model itself is the only Nu Gundam style I've ever liked.
In other words, I'm crying inside.

Ezalc

Got my RD Crossbone X-2! It's a pretty cool figure though it kinda cemented for me the fact that I like Gunpla waaaaaaaaay more. It's well painted and looks nice but lacks a lot of posability and I miss the "I made this" feeling you get after finishing a model.

I guess I'm one of the few here that doesn't care for gunpla. The same way you guys have the feeling of accomplishment after completing a build I have the feeling of lazyness and that it's too much effort to even start one and do it right. Plus I like to play around a lot with my figures so I feel like a gunpla would actually be really fragile, I don't know though I never really held one that was properly built so that might just be a misconception.

CorvoSol

I guess I'm one of the few here that doesn't care for gunpla. The same way you guys have the feeling of accomplishment after completing a build I have the feeling of lazyness and that it's too much effort to even start one and do it right. Plus I like to play around a lot with my figures so I feel like a gunpla would actually be really fragile, I don't know though I never really held one that was properly built so that might just be a misconception.

When Gundam Wing aired back in the day I had some cheapo Gunpla of the main six suits and played with them like, all the time. Epyon's completely gone now, Wing Zero's wings are gone, and Heavy Arms lost its little v-fin. Other than that, though, most of them survived with only loss of like, weapons.

The RG Wing series is so tempting just to have those kits again.

I wish there was a Beargguy toy I could give my daughter. She wants to play with the HG model on her shelf, but the head always falls off and she gets frustrated.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Just got my first big bag of accessories to stock up for all my December projects. Hadn't bought Gundam Markers since they released the pour type, so I grabbed a bunch of those and an Action Base 2 for my RG WZC.

Thanks for pointing out the existence of the Pour Type to me, guys. If I hadn't seen it here, I'd probably never see them. A panel wash in a pen? Do want.

Wait there is a pour pen? After I just spent 30 bucks on panel line accent :(

How do you remove the excess?

Ezalc

When Gundam Wing aired back in the day I had some cheapo Gunpla of the main six suits and played with them like, all the time. Epyon's completely gone now, Wing Zero's wings are gone, and Heavy Arms lost its little v-fin. Other than that, though, most of them survived with only loss of like, weapons.

The RG Wing series is so tempting just to have those kits again.

I think I bought a gunpla once by mistake, it was one of Master Gundam. I didn't glue it together or anything though and it's pieces always kept falling apart. Like I said I never used one that was more properly built so I guess those aren't all that fragile but the effort of actually making one look good is just something that makes me not want to bother with. More robot spirits action figures or something please.

I wish there was a Beargguy toy I could give my daughter. She wants to play with the HG model on her shelf, but the head always falls off and she gets frustrated.

Yeah, I know there are some already built figures that are pretty fragile too though.

I think I bought a gunpla once by mistake, it was one of Master Gundam. I didn't glue it together or anything though and it's pieces always kept falling apart. Like I said I never used one that was more properly built so I guess those aren't all that fragile but the effort of actually making one look good is just something that makes me not want to bother with. More robot spirits action figures or something please.

Damashii figures are crazy expensive, too. Surprised there really isn't anything aimed more at kids who want to play with them.

Enron

Banned
Wait there is a pour pen? After I just spent 30 bucks on panel line accent :(

How do you remove the excess?

same way you remove excess for any wash i would imagine. get a q-tip with a bit of thinner on it and mop up.

Edit: same thing that yami4ct said. learn2read Enron

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
same way you remove excess for any wash i would imagine. get a q-tip with a bit of thinner on it and mop up.

Edit: same thing that yami4ct said. learn2read Enron

Someone on youtube did a demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V_jzKKmFZI

Basically, it's the same as a panel wash. You tap it on the line and capillary action takes it all the way through. There is a little excess where you tap, but not much. That you can easily mop up with a Q-Tip.

Thanks!

Oh man it look much sweeter than panel line accent, I knew I should had waited. Oh well, I will keep on panel lining like a caveman.

Newtypes are real but they aren't but they are hey look over there whoops six months are gone now and fuck you for asking how this war we created out of whole cloth in 10 episodes went
And that's why we don't talk about X.
Now join me and let's watch 00 together. It must be better than this filth.

Beth Cyra

X and I don't get along but I'd fight to the death that it isn't as awful as OO.

At least the DX and even X was a good design unlike the nonsense from OO, and yes I'm including everyone star child Exia in that comment.

CorvoSol

X and I don't get along but I'd fight to the death that it isn't as awful as OO.

At least the DX and even X was a good design unlike the nonsense from OO, and yes I'm including everyone star child Exia in that comment.

Y'had me till Suit designs. I don't think X's designs are as bad as AGE or Victory's, but the only suit in the whole show worth my time was the X itself. Everything else was either lame knockoffs (like the Virsago or the Leopard's upgrade) or just not appealing to me.

I didn't enjoy X, but it's still a better show than 00. Perhaps not as entertaining, because 00's awful can be entertaining in a bad kind of way, but definitely not as bad.

X isbt terrible. Id put it above a few shows in the franchise. It do anything to piss me off, it just sort of there. Some wasted potential there for sure.

CorvoSol

X isbt terrible. Id put it above a few shows in the franchise. It do anything to piss me off, it just sort of there. Some wasted potential there for sure.

Well I definitely put it above some shows I really don't like, but I didn't enjoy it, that's for sure.

Really a lot of wasted potential with this show. The entire concept of a post MSG world where the OYW ended in terrible disaster is wasted in this show. Jamil Neate's character could've done so much more. Garrod and Tiffa's relationship could've been handled way better if Tiffa had been more than a one word wonder for the first fifteen episodes.

It's hard to decide where to fault the last ten episodes and where not to, because I think when they began those episodes they were beginning a much larger second half that would've been much busier and more fleshed out than the break-neck sprint through the ending we got.

At times the show did things surprisingly well. Like the idea of humanity being more or less back on its feet in 15 years was a good idea. The idea that neither side suffered as much as assumed was a good idea.

But at other times I was left completely frustrated by how little the writers seemed to care. For instance, the whole show I was lead to understand the New Federation was supposed to be evil, which is why Garrod and company fought them and such. But they never did anything evil. They just wanted to reestablish the world order that had collapsed 15 years ago, which wasn't really that wrong in my eyes. Hell, Lord Bloodman's explanations to Garrod late in the show worked fine to me. It wasn't until Tiffa was like "No he's actually evil" that the comically named Lord Bloodman even did anything evil.

And then there were the Frost Brothers. Setting aside their awful characterization and even more insipid motivations, the real problem was just how unreasonable their characters were. They murdered every single person they worked for or with, but at no point until they flat out told Bloodman did anyone ever catch them, and after that Bloodman still was so unsuspecting of their treachery that he never saw it coming and did not instantly realize they'd killed the entire New Federation Council.

The problem with this is that they did all of it publicly and none of it in secret. Aside from cloud cover, there was nothing hiding the fact that they killed the Council. Anybody who happened to look up could've seen it happen. More blatant still was that they killed Bloodman with an incredibly flashy attack in plain view of both armies, yet neither army responded to the fact that their leaders had just been killed. Sure, the MS pilots themselves might've been distracted, but the battleships could not have possibly missed a Microwave Cannon blast that big blowing up both flagships.

I realize Gundam will have inconsistencies that if I pick at too much won't hold up, but this happened essentially every single time for the space of nearly 40 episodes and nobody ever caught them. Hell, in the show's ending they're shown alive and well, so nothing ever even punished them.

yami4ct

I will be one of the few X defenders on this forum, I bet, but I adore that show. It was given too short of a run, and it shows, but I love it all the same. As for watching 00, can we just stop after Season 1 and pretend the rest never happened? That's the only way I'd be willing to go back.

frye

Really a lot of wasted potential with this show. The entire concept of a post MSG world where the OYW ended in terrible disaster is wasted in this show. Jamil Neate's character could've done so much more. Garrod and Tiffa's relationship could've been handled way better if Tiffa had been more than a one word wonder for the first fifteen episodes.

Yeah, you've seen Eureka Seven right? i dunno how highly you rate that but it's definitely a highwater mark for me for post-Turn A mecha and one of the (many) reasons why is that it genuinely feels like Dai Sato felt the exact same way about X, only he wrote a show that fixes all the problems he had with it. The Garrod/Tifa stuff gets handled so much better, there's a serious interrogation of why Garrod/Renton feels about Tifa/Eureka in a way that there kind of isn't in X. The characters start in the same place but end up somewhere three-dimensional.

And Holland is such a great character b/c he takes Jamil's influences (Bright via his position as captain, Quattro via his sunglasses) and makes a real character that isn't only a composite like I feel Jamil is. He has Bright's proneness to violence in order to solve his problems (c. 0079) and Quattro's unwillingness to be a real leader (c. Zeta) but by the end he's resolved these in a way that's his own.

Acid08

Banned
I will be one of the few X defenders on this forum, I bet, but I adore that show. It was given too short of a run, and it shows, but I love it all the same. As for watching 00, can we just stop after Season 1 and pretend the rest never happened? That's the only way I'd be willing to go back.

Can we stop pretending season 1 is even worthwhile at this point? That whole show is garbage. Season 1 being *rarely* entertaining garbage doesn't make it any better.

Ezalc

I dislike the exia, mostly because of Setsuna though, but the Dynames is awesome.

Clever is not a word I will ever associate with anything 00.

S1 of 00 is alright, at least it has Lockon being generally the only good character in that goddamn series.

00 was fine, and then season 2 attacked...still haven't watched that show in full again. I think I saw the first time subbed, then bought the dvds to run through them again...bought the movie...that was it...everything after that movie is a fucking blur.

RangerBAD

I'd like to think X could have been great if it didn't get "cancelled". It had to squeeze and cut a lot of stuff. Ennil was going to get a Gundam even. Might have been some Gundam exhaustion going on.

CorvoSol

Yeah, you've seen Eureka Seven right? i dunno how highly you rate that but it's definitely a highwater mark for me for post-Turn A mecha and one of the (many) reasons why is that it genuinely feels like Dai Sato felt the exact same way about X, only he wrote a show that fixes all the problems he had with it. The Garrod/Tifa stuff gets handled so much better, there's a serious interrogation of why Garrod/Renton feels about Tifa/Eureka in a way that there kind of isn't in X. The characters start in the same place but end up somewhere three-dimensional.

And Holland is such a great character b/c he takes Jamil's influences (Bright via his position as captain, Quattro via his sunglasses) and makes a real character that isn't only a composite like I feel Jamil is. He has Bright's proneness to violence in order to solve his problems (c. 0079) and Quattro's unwillingness to be a real leader (c. Zeta) but by the end he's resolved these in a way that's his own.

I love E7, and I actually really agree that in many ways, E7 feels exactly like it wanted to fix everything wrong with X. It may well be I didn't enjoy X because I'd seen E7. Eureka Seven really is the ideal Gundam X in a lot of ways, now that I think about it. Which goes to show that Gundam X really did have a lot of potential that it could've done so much better with.

Can we stop pretending season 1 is even worthwhile at this point? That whole show is garbage. Season 1 being *rarely* entertaining garbage doesn't make it any better.

I'm not a big fan of 00, but I can at least see why people enjoyed S1. It may have been a shameless rip off of FMP at times, but at least S1 has a coherent arc going on. I don't rate it highly, but I still feel like its markedly less awful than S2 and the movie.

I've considered rewatching S1 just to see if I can't give it a fairer shake, but I'll never go beyond episode 25 of 00 Gundam ever again. Not even for the Exia Repair.

I'd like to think X could have been great if it didn't get "cancelled". It had to squeeze and cut a lot of stuff. Ennil was going to get a Gundam even. Might have been some Gundam exhaustion going on.

I'm uncertain. On the one hand, some things like Paula's character being introduced late, Enil's progression from foe to friend, and Caris' last minute save could all be alleviated if there were 10 more episodes.

On the other hand they did nothing of consequence for so many episodes I wonder if being cancelled isn't what forced them into motion.

Enron

Banned
B3-bps5CIAAtTDf%2B(1).jpg

Beth Cyra

That is adorable.

I actually love Haro's, but I think the lack of them is why I prefer 90's AU's compared to everything since 2000.

Lead Gundam will have a pink Beam Saber, you will see a Haro and other little bits that are very much ripped right out of early Gundam. This is all the more sad because Wing was really 0079 and CCA but with a new cast and it still had more life of its own then the current line of Gundam shows.

RangerBAD

That is adorable.

I actually love Haro's, but I think the lack of them is why I prefer 90's AU's compared to everything since 2000.

Lead Gundam will have a pink Beam Saber, you will see a Haro and other little bits that are very much ripped right out of early Gundam. This is all the more sad because Wing was really 0079 and CCA but with a new cast and it still had more life of its own then the current line of Gundam shows.

41n1xEmVcdL._SY355_.jpg

Beth Cyra

LOL, I'd love to have that.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Pink Beam Saber, I LOVE Haro, it's just AU's in the 90's tried to bring unique things to the table (SRW Elements with G, atypical lead with Wing and a dark out come of the one year war) and while it had Gundam elements they still tried to be themselves.

The majority of AU now are so desperate to be 0079/Zeta I can't get lost in them.

It was worse to me with OO and Age because they didn't just do 0079 or Zeta, they had to do Wing/G elements for OO and tried to stuff three shows into one with AGE.

Guys.
It's here~
BUT I CANT BUILD IT UNTIL IM DONE WITH COLLEGE D:

Sweet. I love Nu Gundam. I play it in EXVS, even though it's not gimmicky enough for me.

Ver Ka Nu Gundam should be in Saturday. I'm going to do it after Christmas. I want to paint it, but I'm so nervous I'll fuck it up. I'll probably chicken out and just clear coat it.

BTW, I've never heard of 'model comprehend' before. (I'm fairly new to gundam) what's the deal with this kit? It seems to be exceedingly expensive. Why?

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Sweet. I love Nu Gundam. I play it in EXVS, even though it's not gimmicky enough for me.

Ver Ka Nu Gundam should be in Saturday. I'm going to do it after Christmas. I want to paint it, but I'm so nervous I'll fuck it up. I'll probably chicken out and just clear coat it.

BTW, I've never heard of 'model comprehend' before. (I'm fairly new to gundam) what's the deal with this kit? It seems to be exceedingly expensive. Why?

Model comprehend turn resin kit into plastic kit, comes with waterslide decal. They are not licensed, but their kits are original (you can't find the same thing from bandai).

They are around 40 to 50 bucks after shipping, feels pretty fair. They are not really good with scale, all their 1/144 kits are actually ~1/120.

Andrew J.

ZZ Gundam 38

Beecha's in command, Judau's going crazy and/or is being haunted...the Nahel Argama is doomed. Almost as doomed as Bright's marriage!

Illia Pazom is hardcore, but also kind of stupid? I mean, if you want to kill an insubordinate comrade, fine, but maybe don't do it right when he's about to destroy the enemy bridge and win you the battle.

ZZ Gundam 38

Beecha's in command, Judau's going crazy and/or is being haunted...the Nahel Argama is doomed. Almost as doomed as Bright's marriage!

Illia Pazom is hardcore, but also kind of stupid? I mean, if you want to kill an insubordinate comrade, fine, but maybe don't do it right when he's about to destroy the enemy bridge and win you the battle.

Lol were watching at the same point. Judau randomly is freaking Yoda now and can feel the newtype force somehow after Puru died in the most rushed and completely non addressed death ever.

Literally no one cared haha... seriously did not even ask where she was.

The pace of the show was good when it was serious but now feels like they realize they gotta wrap it up and things are just kinda happening and moving on.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Lol were watching at the same point. Judau randomly is freaking Yoda now and can feel the newtype force somehow after Puru died in the most rushed and completely non addressed death ever.
now feels like they realize they gotta wrap it up and things are just kinda happening and moving on.

No one cares since there are more puru clones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom