• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acid08

Banned
So what does everyone think of the Ver. Ka Wing Gundam?

BAN_WING_GUNDAM_VER_KAMG3.jpg

I think it looks aight, not a big fan though. When I eventually get a Wing MG it'll definitely be the Proto Zero.

Tomino's ultimate solution to this problem is GUNDAM EVOLVE SPOILERS
To give Judau and Roux yet another Puru to raise.

Is that what happened at the end?

Gundam ZZ 38-47 END

In all I thought it was a better show than Zeta, but I can see why its not well liked. A lot of throw away characters, stuff just happens, random slapstick inserted, characters die with no consequence or real reason, and in general the entire cast had no real reason for being there. Like I said better show than Zeta mostly cause the main character is not freaking insane, but it honestly does very little for the lore of the UC Gundam Universe aside from Haman, Glemy, and the Puru clones most of which do not appear/become significant til near the very end of the series.

eldQT8K.png

My favorite waifu Haman in her Queen of Space clothes
zZmS964.png

Glemy gets killed by the woman he loves
stalks
but I thought it was a very good way to take him out.

I burned Z and ZZ fairly back to back, I need a break from Gundam now... like... I need a super cute moe/pervy silly anime to that makes even less sense than ZZ taking 47 episodes and only about 5-8 of them were important the Gundam universe.

Guh just... they clearly realized they wasted to much time with this series with the nonsense and ran out of production time around episode 35. A bunch of stuff happens, people come back, die, swap mobile suits, get mobile suits, ect. ect. ect. but theres not time to actually address it so they straight up don't. How did Lenia survive? How did Sayla save her? why the hell are Judau and Roux going to Jupiter, were they a couple cause that sure as hell was never even slightly alluded to. How did Judau seemingly know EVERYTHING all of a sudden. Did Haman and Judau really love each other? was it like CharxLalaxAmaro newtype love or a my dick is hard love cause once again, did not really address it, but people kept saying it. Why did Chera die from a suicide attack when she clearly took out the other clones easy, and had more than enough skill to get the last one, why did Mayshema suicide attack the episode before that to take out like 4 mobile suits, even though they were backing off because he over powered them, were those two operated on to become cyber newtypes after they disappeared for 30 episodes, if so its kinda an important thing to explain rather than mention in passing asking if they were they suddenly returned as badasses for the final war after being comedy relief at the start, just ....

I have way to many questions now and there are literally no answers because ZZ was rightfully more or less written off. ugh. Least Judau did not hit Kamille level crazy.

Acid08

Banned
I think I'm all about whatever is going on on those wrist guards.
They do look kinda cool but yeah, not sure what's going on with them really.

Doesn't this kit have a lot of stability problems? Might be best to research it first if you plan on buying it.

Oh I'm not going to buy that one, just interested in hearing what people here think about the design. It's a fairly different take on the Wing.

NEO0MJ

Oh I'm not going to buy that one, just interested in hearing what people here think about the design. It's a fairly different take on the Wing.

Oh. In that case I like it more than the original, but still not what I'd consider a favorite.

yami4ct

I think it looks aight, not a big fan though. When I eventually get a Wing MG it'll definitely be the Proto Zero.

I really like it, except for the dumb looking Buster Rifle. It feels like a Gundam that could have been eventually developed into the Wing Zero Custom, which I guess is the intention. The sharp angles give it kind of an avian feel and I really like the wing design.

It really is too bad for the buster rifle as not only do I not think it looks good, but it's the main cause of issues with the kit. Joints in the elbows and hands just aren't up to the task of using that monstrosity. I do like it uses reloadable ammo canisters, though. That's a design idea I love seeing on mobile suits. The Unicorn's E-Caps are super cool as well.

They're landing gear designed to look like hawk talons, aren't they? The original had them as well. Katoki's are just sharper and moved to the sides instead of the front.

Stage On

Is anyone else following Gundam reconguista in g?

Gotta say I love the theme song and the show itself is quite pretty but the story and dialog is absolute bonkers. Nobody seems to talk or act like a normal person and there is so much nonsense terminology being thrown around that they never bother to stop and explain.

Honestly if it wasn't Gundam branded I'd have already dropped it by now :(

Beth Cyra

Doesn't this kit have a lot of stability problems? Might be best to research it first if you plan on buying it.

Wing Ver Ka is very, very stable. Even with those large wings it is a great kit.

The problem is that the Buster Rifle is HUGE, and this is from a time before pegs in the hand. Whats worse the Handle is stylized and then so it can only hold it at a very few angles.

To be honest Wing Ver Ka is in my opinion the best Wing out of the lot, and my favorite Katoki design of all time.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I dropped Gundam RiG, may be I will catch it back someday, but now I really have zero motivation to keep going. Everything are too dumb to be taken seriously, I guess the "kid show with real world problem" concept didn't work out.

00 and Seed plots are pretty meh also, but at least they had amazing fight, in RiG they just "power ranger" all the fights. I had more fun watching twintail this season.

Tomino's ultimate solution to this problem is GUNDAM EVOLVE SPOILERS
To give Judau and Roux yet another Puru to raise.

I need to watch Evolve.

So, a ton of Gundam-related junk...
The good stuff is that my roommate and I traded gifts and I got the Crossbone Gundam Maoh! It is now my favorite HG I have every built. It's just so damn awesome!
It is also the first kit I have ever shaved the nubs off with a hobby knife set, so it came out really clean and nice. So good~
I also finished my RX-78-2 piece I was working on and I'm really proud. It took too damn long. lol

The bad stuff is that I lost the sticker sheets for the Model Comprehend Nu Gundam... >.<
EDIT: To ship the stickers, it would cost $44 dollars. >.<
SO I'MMA GO AHEAD AND PAINT

This the first I've seen it.

fuck I NEED this

The bad stuff is that I lost the sticker sheets for the Model Comprehend Nu Gundam... >.<
Thankfully, my Chinese roommate is fighting hard with their customer service to get a new set. (By the way, explaining "runners" and "decals" and "funnels" in Chinese is hard.)

PaulNotExcellent. With Nu, you GOTTA have the shoulder and the shield. Post pics when you are done, pls.

ElyrionX

Hi guys. Haven't built a gunpla in years but I need to get one as a Christmas gift for someone who has never done this before but is a fan of the Gundam Build Fighters series. Which one of the GBF models (both seasons) would you recommend? And which grade should I go for? HG or MG?

Hi guys. Haven't built a gunpla in years but I need to get one as a Christmas gift for someone who has never done this before but is a fan of the Gundam Build Fighters series. Which one of the GBF models (both seasons) would you recommend? And which grade should I go for? HG or MG?
CROSSBONE GUNDAM MAOH HG
It's byutifl.
PaulNotExcellent. With Nu, you GOTTA have the shoulder and the shield. Post pics when you are done, pls.
Man, you think I don't know?! :(
I can't stop looking at it and wishing I was home with my paint...
IT HURTS SO BAD IT NEEDS TO STOP

Beth Cyra

I've built some, and I personally think Wing F is the best of them. However Wing F/R is really good as is Gundam X Maoh or Crossbone Maoh.

I haven't built anything from Season 2, but I do think I will pick up Lightning Gundam sometime.

Zerojul

I really like it, except for the dumb looking Buster Rifle. It feels like a Gundam that could have been eventually developed into the Wing Zero Custom, which I guess is the intention. The sharp angles give it kind of an avian feel and I really like the wing design.

It really is too bad for the buster rifle as not only do I not think it looks good, but it's the main cause of issues with the kit. Joints in the elbows and hands just aren't up to the task of using that monstrosity.
Yeah that was a problem with that one. Does the Wing Gundam Endless Waltz version that came later suffer from the same flaw, or did they take a shot at fixing it somehow, ala Unicorn Ver. Ka -> Unicorn Anime version ?

Beth Cyra

Yeah that was a problem with that one. Does the Wing Gundam Endless Waltz version that came later suffer from the same flaw, or did they take a shot at fixing it somehow, ala Unicorn Ver. Ka -> Unicorn Anime version ?

Wing Gundam EW is Wing Gundam Ver Ka with slightly different decals and minor color changes (Yellow instead of Oragne, slightly brighter red and a Grey inner frame instead of Brown) and a Action base stand.

Outside of that, its the same suit with a different box and manual.

Zerojul

Wing Gundam EW is Wing Gundam Ver Ka with slightly different decals and minor color changes (Yellow instead of Oragne, slightly brighter red and a Grey inner frame instead of Brown) and a Action base stand.

Too bad :/

Acid08

Banned

Wait, which one are we talking about for Wing EW? The Proto Zero? I hate how these new Wing kits are named.

Acid08

Banned
So, a ton of Gundam-related junk...
The good stuff is that my roommate and I traded gifts and I got the Crossbone Gundam Maoh! It is now my favorite HG I have every built. It's just so damn awesome!
It is also the first kit I have ever shaved the nubs off with a hobby knife set, so it came out really clean and nice. So good~

Nice! Now get the Crossbone X-1 because it's boss as fuck.

edit:" woops double posts, sorrz

Nice! Now get the Crossbone X-1 because it's boss as fuck.
No more Crossbone Gundam kits until I read the manga. lol
Still, I REALLY like the Crossbone now. It's just such a cool design~

Also, if anyone is considering one of these Nu Gundam kits, I have one complaint to note:
The shoulder pads.
Holy hell, do they not like being where they are. Move the arm a little too much, the things will fly out. Crazy stuff. Still, it looks so damn gorgeous~

Ezalc

Better than that shitty version with angel looking wings. I'm still not a big fan of "wings" in general on gundams.

Beth Cyra

Too bad :/

Yeah, many had hoped they would at least throw in a new hand and grip for the rifle on a smaller extra runner but that didn't happen.

It's just the same thing.

Wait, which one are we talking about for Wing EW? The Proto Zero? I hate how these new Wing kits are named.

Proto Zero is a good kit, can pose real nice. Just know that it does have weight issues with the back pack, mostly because the waist joint is a bit loose.

Other then that it has some TINY parts for a MG, so be very careful when building the shield and you get to the machine turrets.

muteki

Better than that shitty version with angel looking wings. I'm still not a big fan of "wings" in general on gundams.
The wings themselves don't bother me too much but I would appreciate it if a kit came out with a different take on the design of them. They have been largely the same in every release, every grade.

Something like the segmented joints of the Z'Gok's limbs with feather sections to make it more flexible.

Beth Cyra

The wings themselves don't bother me too much but I would appreciate it if a kit came out with a different take on the design of them. They have been largely the same in every release, every grade.

Something like the segmented joints of the Z'Gok's limbs with feather sections to make it more flexible.

Eh this isn't exactly true.

The Wing's on the MG are actaully very different then all other versions including the Perfect Grade.

The RG is doing something similar and even taking it further, but before it none of the other Grades at all feature the Wing's actually opening and spreading out.

muteki

Eh this isn't exactly true.

The Wing's on the MG are actaully very different then all other versions including the Perfect Grade.

The RG is doing something similar and even taking it further, but before it none of the other Grades at all feature the Wing's actually opening and spreading out.
*pulls instructions from hobby search*
Has there been more than one EW wing released in MG? The one I'm looking at looks very similar to the rest, but has a couple extra points of articulation. Maybe what I would like to see is too radically different. I only have the PG.

Part of it is that the generally accepted design of the wings themselves isn't very wing-like, and it's not really the kits fault they follow that. The figures do the same thing. It's been over 10 years since I've seen the movie, I need to go back and see if that is how they appear animated as well.

CorvoSol

Is that what happened at the end?

No, there's this compilation of weird CGI Gundam episodes that focus on little vignettes in the Gundam universe. The one for ZZ Gundam is an epilogue to the series. Judau's ZZ gets upgraded, he flirts with Roux, and then fights some Axis remnants chasing one of Glemy's MP Qubeleys. When he opens it up there's a Puru clone inside.

Wing is the epitome of "this looks cool but impractical" anyway.

I need to watch Evolve.

It's pretty -eh-. Like, I think the SEED episode is the only one with good CG and there are only like, three episodes with "plots" worth watching, I felt. It isn't bad, but it's hardly required.

B-bu-but the Master Gundam!

Based Wing Cape

Beth Cyra

*pulls instructions from hobby search*
Has there been more than one EW wing released in MG? The one I'm looking at looks very similar to the rest, but has a couple extra points of articulation. Maybe what I would like to see is too radically different. I only have the PG.

Part of it is that the generally accepted design of the wings themselves isn't very wing-like, and it's not really the kits fault they follow that. The figures do the same thing. It's been over 10 years since I've seen the movie, I need to go back and see if that is how they appear animated as well.

Nope just the one.

If you look towards the top of the Wing, it opens and spreads out.

The High Grade, Robot Damashii and Perfect grade have it as one flowing wing. The MG actually "breaks" apart and the entire upper section opens up in a way never happens (including in the Anime, however it was Adopted for Evolve and the new push in the series) so until the the RG release it's been the only one to do it.

Ezalc

Which part do you disagree with? The thing about the awful angel wings or just not liking wings in general?
B-bu-but the Master Gundam!
Ehhh, I like them better when they're in cape mode but I don't care for them.

This particular version's wings look alright. Usually I just kind of ignore the wings when they're on a Gundam, I think the only examples of me actually hating them are the Wing gundam with angel wings and the deathscythe gundam. I kind of like God's weird backpack things but those aren't really wings. I also would rather have a Gundam with something that looks like the plane wings on a backpack sort of thing. I think the G-Self has that right? So yeah, much better.

Zerojul

I think it's too ealry to tell, I like the art, I think the animation is ok/good, but I don't really care much for most of the characters, or for what I've understood of the scenario so far.
But I absolutely adore the mecha design so I'm always eager to see what suit could be turned into a gunpla next, I'll keep on watching :)

Keasar

I was mostly confused to whatahell all the characters were doing so I gave up after 4-5 episodes.

Everything just felt so random.

Nice art though.

None of your impressions are ringing endorsements for the show. I'm waiting for the season to finish before I watch it. Is it even worth watching?

Reconguista is the perfect show to start new people on Gundam.
That way, they won't get addicted and spend over $500 on plastic models.

Nah, but seriously. I have no clue what I'm watching half the time. Quit at episode 5.
Them mobile suits are AMAZING, tho.

Reconguista is the perfect show to start new people on Gundam.
That way, they won't get addicted and spend over $500 on plastic models.

Nah, but seriously. I have no clue what I'm watching half the time. Quit at episode 5.
Them mobile suits are AMAZING, tho.
So pretty much the last good Gundam show was Build Fighters? I heard Try isn't as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom