• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew J.

ZZ Gundam 40

Wow, an even bigger creep than Glemy.

How ironic, seeing the Shangrila crew on the other end of a gang of mobile suit-stealing street rats. Judau kicks their asses though, of course.

Iino looks surprisingly, uh, nice.

Haman is ice cold.

Haven't seen Unicorn, but I want my first PG to be it. My husband won't let me have more Gunpla in the house until I'm done with the 4 MGs I have at the moment which are:

D-Hell Custom
Sengoku Astray
Aile Strike
Star Build Strike

Finished building a Zeta 3.0 as well, though that needs more work (seam lines as mentioned below) and top coat.

Attempting my first "get rid of the seam lines" HG kit so I can pass this onto the MGs since I've never bothered before. First time putting together a Zaku.

http://www.gundamplanet.com/gunpla-starter-set-gundam-vs-zaku-ii-two-model-kits.html

Lots of sanding, lots of sanding, and then MORE SANDING! I enjoy it to be honest. :)

Question for apartment Gunpla folks out there, do you even bother top coating in the winter or do you save your projects like that for when it's warmer?

CorvoSol

Looks like I just won a giveaway here on Gaf for a free figure. Holy crap! Getting a MG Turn X. Really happy that Turn A that I just ordered is going to have his nemesis. Going to be such a fun winter building season for me. Also congrats to Corvo who won a MG Qubeley. Such a cool, underrated suit.

Ah, yeah. Didn't take a close enough look. All the panel marks and proportions are clearly different. I do like that conversion, though. Sticks to a more animation-like version of the suit while still improving on the MG Ver. 1.

I want that MG QB to complete the "MG" ZZ Slim. Putting them next to each other's gonna be siiiiiick

Acid08

Banned
Oh gee, yeah, suppose I best purchase a set of panel lining pens then. Any suggestions?

One of each: black pour type, grey pour type, black fine point, grey fine point.

If money is an issue I think just the pour types would be fine. They're easier to deal with and more versatile than the fine points. The website I linked has been great for markers, cheap prices and shipping. You'll also probably want some rubbing alcohol(91% isopropyl) and q-tips for clean up.

CorvoSol

The new SRW game seems to have some nice animation for Gundams in it. I think this might be X's first appearance? Or is it a return? Souta would probably know. It's all too bad FSS mecha won't ever be in a SRW. Some great designs, but I know Nagano will never allow it.

Edit: It's a return.
X was in Z and Z2

Wow. Love that the Unicorn has the reload animation for the shot. Watching that makes me realize that I prefer the more militaristic style of mobile suits.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
The new SRW game seems to have some nice animation for Gundams in it. I think this might be X's first appearance? Or is it a return? Souta would probably know. It's all too bad FSS mecha won't ever be in a SRW. Some great designs, but I know Nagano will never allow it.

Wing
Z
Unicorn
Raiser?
Turn A
X
Nu
Strike Freedom

Edit: X is a return.

Holy shit, when will SRWZ going to end

One of each: black pour type, grey pour type, black fine point, grey fine point.

If money is an issue I think just the pour types would be fine. They're easier to deal with and more versatile than the fine points. The website I linked has been great for markers, cheap prices and shipping. You'll also probably want some rubbing alcohol(91% isopropyl) and q-tips for clean up.

I think those are oil enamel, so it is better to use zippo lighter fluid to remove the excess.

Beth Cyra

Wing
Z
Unicorn
Raiser?
Turn A
X
Nu
Strike Freedom

X is indeed a return, in fact X, Zeta, Turn A, and Destiny are all from Z1.

Wing looks great, much better then the garbage they put out for Z2.2.

Nu Gundam might be the single best Animation SRW has ever had, just freaking beautiful.

I was really shocked that none of the Gundam's had 1 to 1 cut ins. Rolling Twin Buster, Zeta's slash and Quanta's attacks are all something that I thought would have it but they all lacked it.

Z3 sucks though for NOT including ZZ. Seriously give me god damn ZZ in these graphics and animations.

Lastly they brought in Genesis of Aquarion to go along with Evol which is good because Genesis is great and Evol is freaking trash.

Would have preferred them dropping both and bringing in Aquarion OVA though.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Oh really? Didn't know that, what exactly makes it better? Rubbing alcohol has been working fine for me.

No difference unless you paint or detail your model using acrylic paint. Zippo will remove the panel line without damaging the acrylic base paint.

Acid08

Banned
No difference unless you paint or detail your model using acrylic paint. Zippo will remove the panel line without damaging the acrylic base paint.

Ah, got it. I'm not quite there yet with my gunpla haha. Corvo, that's something you should consider if you think you're going to paint. If not though rubbing alcohol will be fine.

Wing
Z
Unicorn
Raiser?
Turn A
X
Nu
Strike Freedom

That's Qan[t], not Raiser. Pretty cool how they used the larger sword bits as handheld blades like that. Banshee looks good too.

RangerBAD

That's Qan[t], not Raiser. Pretty cool how they used the larger sword bits as handheld blades like that. Banshee looks good too.

I knew it was from the movie, but I couldn't find the name of it. There was no mecha list on the movie page in the Gundam wikia. Fuck that movie anyway.

CorvoSol

Z3 sucks though for NOT including ZZ. Seriously give me god damn ZZ in these graphics and animations.

Lastly they brought in Genesis of Aquarion to go along with Evol which is good because Genesis is great and Evol is freaking trash.

Would have preferred them dropping both and bringing in Aquarion OVA though.

Here here! Can't believe the jilted ZZ. Or rather, I can, but man it blows. If they can throw down Gundam X and Pocket Full of Rainbows they sure as heck can find space for ZZ.

Ken

Haven't seen Unicorn, but I want my first PG to be it. My husband won't let me have more Gunpla in the house until I'm done with the 4 MGs I have at the moment which are:

D-Hell Custom
Sengoku Astray
Aile Strike
Star Build Strike

Finished building a Zeta 3.0 as well, though that needs more work (seam lines as mentioned below) and top coat.

Attempting my first "get rid of the seam lines" HG kit so I can pass this onto the MGs since I've never bothered before. First time putting together a Zaku.

http://www.gundamplanet.com/gunpla-starter-set-gundam-vs-zaku-ii-two-model-kits.html

Lots of sanding, lots of sanding, and then MORE SANDING! I enjoy it to be honest. :)

Question for apartment Gunpla folks out there, do you even bother top coating in the winter or do you save your projects like that for when it's warmer?

Heh, I have MG Sengoku Astray and SBS in my backlog too. I had intended to complete them before Build Fighters Try aired but bah!

Ah, got it. I'm not quite there yet with my gunpla haha. Corvo, that's something you should consider if you think you're going to paint. If not though rubbing alcohol will be fine.
What do you guys use to clean up rubbing alcohol? I usually use a spray bottle and the little ear things (I forgot what they're called.) Cleaning/fading the Nu Gundam's lines is a HUGE pain in the ass this way.

Acid08

Banned
What do you guys use to clean up rubbing alcohol? I usually use a spray bottle and the little ear things (I forgot what they're called.) Cleaning/fading the Nu Gundam's lines is a HUGE pain in the ass this way.
Yeah, I use the cotton swabs too. I usually shake the bottle of alcohol and take off the cap, the cap gets a thin coat on it that I soak up with the cotton swab. That way there's barely any on there and it makes it easier to avoid flooding a lining channel or something when you're cleaning the lines up. Used to make the mistake of putting way to much alcohol on the swab and that was a quick way to accidentally erasing entire lines.

You gotta tell me how much you like it. I'm so close to buying it! lol
I also asked MCmodel about their stands, and they said that it's something they'll be working on with their new kits, apparently. So... yeah. Expect good ones more often, maybe.
Also, their new limited SD model or whatever it is looks so cool. I just wish it was full-size. :/

Here's the Nu Gundoooooooom in its regular form without any work done. So much still needs to be done...
I'll be doing a full review when I finish him because goddamn this kit is so good and such a pain at the same time. >.<
Until seeing your gundoom it finally hit my how the Nu Gundam and Sandrock Gundam are the same color.

CorvoSol

ZZ Gundam 40

Wow, an even bigger creep than Glemy.

How ironic, seeing the Shangrila crew on the other end of a gang of mobile suit-stealing street rats. Judau kicks their asses though, of course.

Iino looks surprisingly, uh, nice.

Haman is ice cold.

You know, I don't know if I do consider that guy a bigger creep than Glemmy. On the one hand he abducts women for his harem on probably a daily basis, but on the other hand Glemmy has a room full of glass boxes full of cloned lolis. In light of Glemmy's relationship with Puru, one begins to see his relationship with Leina and Roux very differently, his comments about his mother early in the series in a whole new light, and his
betrayal of Haman.

Originally I thought Glemmy was a dopey replacement and unworthy of his status by end-show, but like, after rewatching the show, and in light of the rumor of who his father might be, Glemmy's actually probably one of my favorite characters in the show.

You know, I don't know if I do consider that guy a bigger creep than Glemmy. On the one hand he abducts women for his harem on probably a daily basis, but on the other hand Glemmy has a room full of glass boxes full of cloned lolis. In light of Glemmy's relationship with Puru, one begins to see his relationship with Leina and Roux very differently, his comments about his mother early in the series in a whole new light, and his
betrayal of Haman.

Originally I thought Glemmy was a dopey replacement and unworthy of his status by end-show, but like, after rewatching the show, and in light of the rumor of who his father might be, Glemmy's actually probably one of my favorite characters in the show.
Glemmy has a rumored dad?
Also, I never gave him any shit. Dude was mad weird, but had some good scenes if you consider how much of a creep he is.

Im cool with glemy. He was a good villain. ZZ is pretty rad imho though.

this is something that is played up mlre in side stories and im not sure how cannon it is, but glemy is rumored to be Gihrens illegitimate son. The Totos, which are a Zeke noble family, are said to have taken him in because they owed gihren a favor.
I dont recall them saying anything about that in show, but a lot of outside sources cite that.

Bombless

Nxedge Strike Freedom. Love this little guy. He's sturdy, the joints turn well and stay well in place, he's got plenty of flexibility. Low on accessories, but the first print bonus energy wings are nice (but reaaaally flimsy, I doubt they'll survive long).

u7Mjom5.jpg

The big supports should allow for some interesting shenanigans with more bases.

Next to Striker WS SD.

Destiny got pushed to next month. Hopefully more Gundams will join the line.

Heh, I have MG Sengoku Astray and SBS in my backlog too. I had intended to complete them before Build Fighters Try aired but bah!

I'm really taking my time now that I'm fully getting into Gunpla. I used to just snap kits together and now that I know the joys of making it much more than a plastic model, oh man. That's the huge reason for my backlog otherwise they'd be all snapped together by now. Thinking about entering my first contest too with one of them if I can get this whole seam removal thing down.

Acid08

Banned
I ordered some new clippers, the frame runner of the MG God Gundam did my old ones in. The plastic on that thing is so hard.

I ordered some new clippers, the frame runner of the MG God Gundam did my old ones in. The plastic on that thing is so hard.

What are the advantages of buying new clippers (I assume for spree cutting) if you're the sort who cuts far far far away from the part then sands down? Would it still help?

CorvoSol

Glemmy has a rumored dad?
Also, I never gave him any shit. Dude was mad weird, but had some good scenes if you consider how much of a creep he is.

Yeah in one of the manga they talk about how he might be
Ghiren Zabi's son
or something. Which explains how he was able to draw away so many people to his cause pretty nicely.

Wubby

It came yesterday. I ordered it off Amazon.jp instead of my usual buying kits at Bic Camera and I'm soooo glad I did. Went to Bic yesterday to pic up Gyagya and realized I saved 3000yen buying the Unicorn on Amazon. I thought Bic was usually cheaper... Guess not! Bic also didn't have any LED sets. My LED set should arrive today from Amazon. I have a pre-order in with P-bandai for a full armor set but that won't be shipping out till next month.

jQLSFtnkFmxQs.jpg

yami4ct

It came yesterday. I ordered it off Amazon.jp instead of my usual buying kits at Bic Camera and I'm soooo glad I did. Went to Bic yesterday to pic up Gyagya and realized I saved 3000yen buying the Unicorn on Amazon. I thought Bic was usually cheaper... Guess not! Bic also didn't have any LED sets. My LED set should arrive today from Amazon. I have a pre-order in with P-bandai for a full armor set but that won't be shipping out till next month.

Super jealous. Mine just left Japan today, so I should have it on Tuesday. Crossing my fingers for monday, but that's not likely. Can't wait to start building.

Andrew J.

ZZ Gundam 43

Glemy gave Puru Two the Char uniform, with the cape and everything. Seems...premature.

Haman is usually portrayed as highly competent in most other respects, so her continued decisions to give Chara important responsibilities are are utterly baffling.

Acid08

Banned
What are the advantages of buying new clippers (I assume for spree cutting) if you're the sort who cuts far far far away from the part then sands down? Would it still help?

How far away are we talking? I had to replace mine because they too dull and were twisting the plastic when I used them.

edit: and this is my favorite shot of Glemmy

BAvX8jk.png

Zeta Gundam EP 33:
After Haman puts Char on full blast why does he even bother wearing those sunglasses anymore?
Ep 34:
Man Reccoa goes off the deep end when she becomes a new type. She pretty much defects for no reason and loses all sense of composure in battle. Her only rationale seems to be "that's part of my personality" and "because I'm a woman" or something.

Zeta Gundam Ep 36:
For was so nice and sweet when she returned...and they kill her again. Why I have no idea...will have to deal with the same nonsense when Rosamia comes back. Oy...so many fridged women in this show. It's like Kamile and Jerid are trading blows killing each others girlfriends on this show.
Ep 37:
Kamille and Amuro discuss Four's death and Amuro says that it took him and Char seven years to understand that it's not worth "crying" over Lalah. Then in CCA guess what they're bitching about to each other, fucking Lalah. Amuro lied, they weren't over anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom